Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valkyria Chronicles
PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 6:32 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Anime of the Month for April, 2009: Valkyria Chronicles

The first episode begins on the 4th of April and will continue for 26 episodes.

Description

In 1930s Europa, tensions rise to an all-time high between the continent’s two distinct military powers – the Empire and the Federation. In the struggle for ultimate supremacy, the Second Europa War (E.W.II) erupts, and Gallia, the small independent nation situated between the two super powers, now faces attack.

The Empire's Imperial Army is first to strike Gallia, forcing the young lieutenant Welkin Gunther to pull back his small platoon. As the invading forces charge toward the capital city, Welkin discovers that not only are they outmatched in scale and weaponry, but the enemy army also has Valkyria, an unusually powerful race, in their ranks. As the war rages, the capital city is about to fall to the enemy, but Welkin’s unique battle strategies bring hope to his homeland… There may be a chance for Gallia after all. This is Welkin’s story.

Political State of Europa (1930’s EC):

IMPERIAL ALLIANCE
A conglomerate of nations united under the rule of an emperor. These nations retain customs and practices from medieval times, and its people are known to harbor conservative views including a strong hatred towards the Darcesen race.

ATLANTIC FEDERATION
Nations that seek republican form of alliance to preserve mutual security. The Federation is ahead of the Empire in terms of national power, yet it often takes more time to consolidate their treaties due to its political infrastructure.

THE PRINCIPALITY OF GALLIA
A small nation geographically with the Empire on its Eastern border and the Federation to its south. The nation is a constitutional monarchy, characterized by policies of armed neutrality and universal conscription. All citizens 15 years old and above are eligible to be drafted into service in times of war.
Description:

Links to relevant pages:

Episodes - (Fansub Releases):
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1400.html

General Information:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=10416
http://myanimelist.net/anime/5507/Valkyria_Chronicles

Last edited by Acmurphy on April 4th, 2009, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected information and added a link to find the episodes at, once they start getting subbed anyway.

Post subject: Re: Official Thread: Anime of the Month
PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 6:53 am 

You don't lose anytime at all :lol2:

So is this already available in the US or is this just fansubs for now?...I would like to join in..don't want to be left out :lol2:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 11:47 am 
Regular

This seems like a pretty cool idea but I'm guessing we have to find some fansubs?

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 2:02 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
THE PRINCIPALITY OF GALLIA
A small nation geographically surrounded by the Empire and the Federation.

I'm not sure whether this is true in the intended sense. When I read that description I had something like Poland in mind, a buffer state between the two main combatants.
Looking at the preview I noticed that Gallia (the ancient Roman name for modern France) is more comparable to the Baltic states, with the Empire to the east and the sea to the west. Gallia is situated right in the middle of the spheres of influence, but it does only share a rather short border with the Aliiance in the south. It's not caught right in the middle, it looks more like control over Gallia is necessary for strategic reasons.

Gallia is the blue dot in the north:

I have to take a closer look at the map once the show is made available in better resolution. There are some real names, like Amiens (France), Sedan (France), Vichy (France), Texel (Durch island), Velsen (Netherlands), Ypern (Ypres, Belgium), and St. Vith (also Belgium). I wonder what other place names they borrowed... I mean look at that: One town is named "Zoom", another "Wi"... :lol:

I really like their map displays, with the arrows and all... but I find it kinda funny that all the forces seem to be exclusively comprised of Panzer (Armored) Divisions... well, at least in the preview... waiting for more.

Last but not least I find the blending of old costumes (Middle Ages, Renaissance) and early WWII technology somehow disturbing. It looks like they wanted to forcibly mash up all of the common European clichées, WWII tanks on the one side, and costumes/armor that nobody wore after 1450 AD on the other. That's a big stretch.

Cab329 wrote:
This seems like a pretty cool idea but I'm guessing we have to find some fansubs?

The show only starts today in Japan. I'm sure subs (and raws) will be available soon.
Check AnimeSuki and Baka Updates.

Post subject: Re: Anime of the Month
PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 10:43 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
I'm not sure whether this is true in the intended sense.

You are correct sir, it's not really situated in a position in which it's surrounded by countries. Just really has them on two sides (the east and south). I'll update that accordingly.

Cab329 wrote:

I'll post a link to the first post to the AnimeSuki page for Valkyria Chronicles' sub releases. That way everyone can keep up to date on them.

Fresnokila wrote:
You don't lose anytime at all :lol2: So is this already available in the US or is this just fansubs for now?...I would like to join in..don't want to be left out :lol2:

No time like the present! :gatsu: It's just being released fansubbed, by a couple of groups I believe. Like I said before, I'll link to the page once the subs get up (the raws are out now, so it shouldn't be too long).

*Link to the Animesuki Valkyria Chronicles page has been added to the first post*

PostPosted: April 5th, 2009, 6:25 pm 
Lurker

Seems like a pretty cool idea, I might just join you guys with this one.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2009, 6:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

CommonDeer wrote:

It's nice of you joining us for something. :lol:

PostPosted: April 5th, 2009, 6:39 pm 
Lurker

42317 wrote:
CommonDeer wrote:

It's nice of you joining us for something. :lol:

Yeah, I figured I visit these boards enough that I should become more active.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2009, 7:18 pm 

This being a PS3 game adaptation.... I am skeptical. I'll probably pass it up and await the day where I finally get a PS3 instead of watching the anime.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 5:10 am 
Resident Admin

CommonDeer wrote:

It's good to have you aboard CommonDeer! I feel like I should have done this sooner with all the people joining in... now we just need someone to get around to subbing the episode :lol:

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
This being a PS3 game adaptation.... I am skeptical. I'll probably pass it up and await the day where I finally get a PS3 instead of watching the anime.

Storm_Shinobi, the lone ranger waiting to play the PS3 version! I can't really say anything against your plan, the ~15 hours I've played have been quite fun, though one could always do both :wink: Have you had bad luck with game adaptations before?

Edit: Hooray the episode is finally out! Sadly, it's 5:30 so I am off to bed. Here's hoping it's good!

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 10:53 am 

Well when an adaptation turns out promising with potential and then cops out towards the end..... (ahem Chrno Crusade), I start hungering for the original material. I simply cannot stand wasted potential after all, so if I find that there is a source material, I want to see that potential harnessed and used correctly. Thus I start desiring the original thing.

And in this case, the original material is a PS3 game. A PS3 ain't cheap. I ain't buying one soon :P

Hence I'll probably hang back for now. Unless people start making the anime out to be the second coming of Jesus.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 7:56 pm 

Ha where is the Quick Reply? :lol2:

Anyways started to download the first ep...hopefully it'll make me want to watch the second one...I'll than post my thoughts...
Ha...I guess this idea was really good after all...I kind of feel like a kid...

I'll be back! :gatsu:

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 9:55 pm 
Resident Admin

Fresnokila wrote:
Ha where is the Quick Reply? :lol2:

Quick Reply died with the switch to phpBB3. Never found a quick reply that I liked for the new version (they were all too big and obtrusive).

Fresnokila wrote:
Anyways started to download the first ep...hopefully it'll make me want to watch the second one...I'll than post my thoughts...
Ha...

I just got the Ayako V2 release. I also got the Doremi one just to see which is better. Though I'll have to rely on 42317 to tell me which version is actually better with regards to the translation :D Now I just need to find a minute to watch it. Gotta go get food with the bro now so that's just gonna delay me some more :cry:

Fresnokila wrote:
I guess this idea was really good after all...I kind of feel like a kid... I'll be back! :gatsu:

Animetric's Anime of the Month, bringing out the kid in you! :lol:

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Well when an adaptation turns out promising with potential and then cops out towards the end..... (ahem Chrno Crusade)

But it's really not the same, Chrono Crusade was based off a manga that wasn't completed when the anime series was made so they had to sort of invent the ending at the time. Valkyria Chronicles is basically an anime version of the game. There shouldn't be any high flying changes, there's really no reason for there to be. (At least with the main story, I'm sure there may be some extraneous episodes with it spanning 26... well maybe anyway I never did finish it so I don't know quite how much material there is) Your point is taken about keeping true to the original source material though. And I have hardly never seen an game adaption that I have played before so I'm just going off of what would make sense. (I'm looking to change that with Valkyria Chronicles and Tales of the Abyss which I am two episodes into now :mrgreen:)

Edit - First episode has been watched!:

Alright I just got to watch the episode, Ayako V2. I didn't really expect the first episode to knock me out of my seat, especially considering I knew what was going to happen, so this episode was more of a refresher for me and to see how well they presented everything in a "fully animated" format (the game has lots of cuts scenes in it). Anywho, I was rather pleased with the episode, some minor things annoyed me (like the girl that keeps fainting, I don't remember her at all), and how long they are playing this whole "spy" bit out. In the game it was for a couple of minutes before you ran into his sister and they were like oh, well I guess he isn't a spy. All the characters have roughly kept their personalities with Welkin being his usual carefree self. Alicia was looking pretty good, if I do say so myself, and I liked all her little facial expressions and such. The best part was when they actually got started with some fighting, and I have to say it looks like they're going to mimic the battling from the game fairly well. Or at least I hope it continues since there wasn't too much in this episode. Though I did find it hilarious how they're fighting against soldiers and get into Welkin's house and they seem like they don't have a care in the world until fighting starts up again. It reminded me of the battles in Crest/Banner of the Stars when they would sip tea and chat while waiting to get to the next battle. You'd think they would pay a little more heed to the soldiers chasing them right outside. The animation was fairly solid, with a unique, umm, shading I guess you could call it, to give it the "hand drawn" look the game has. A nice touch that seems to have been used within reason (then again I liked the crazy clothing in Gankutsuou :D). OP and ED aren't bad, I like the OP a bit more but am not too crazy about either. Some of the in episode music was pretty good however.

I actually found the episode seemed like it ended rather quickly, I wasn't sitting here waiting for the darned thing to just finish already, which is good. Though I was really hoping to see some tank action in the first episode but I guess that'll have to wait till the next one comes out.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 2:06 pm 
Resident Scholar

I watched the first episode.
Really not much going on apart from introducing characters, the spy-thing is played out too long, and military realism is minimal.

Do you know why soldiers wear trousers? Because they spend lots of time on the ground, crawling across any more or less hard surface. The trousers protect you from minor, but bothersome injuries, like at your knees.
And these girls are wearing miniskirts. Yes, they are also wearing... whatsitcalled... overknee socks or something... anyways, depending on the material they'll protect the legs for a while... let's say over a distance of five yards... then the socks will have slipped and another five yards later their knees will feel like hell. Congratulations on your design failure. :D
The miniskirt and sock thing might be nice for parades and uniform otaku, but as a battle dress it's useless.
Unless for some miraculous reason they never have to get their butts down and crawl.

Last but not least the Imperial guys are obviously having problems storming a single house that is defended by a single five-round semiautomatic and a few handgrenades from the war before, and they're blindly shooting at the house instead of setting up a base of fire (to draw the defenders' attention) and assault the compound from another side. But they prefer sitting behind the front yard hedges like idiots... will they ever learn that movement, shock, and surpise are the key?

Anyways... the animation is smooth, the music fits nicely into the background, Inoue Marina does a great job, and the character designs are pleasant. I'll probably tear away my short hair due to the depiction of tactical issues, but I suppose the other elements will be to my satisfaction, enough to watch on.

Acmurphy wrote:
Though I'll have to rely on 42317 to tell me which version is actually better with regards to the translation :D

There's a slight problem: I can't tell. It's like this:
I downloaded both versions, just in case there was a problem with one. Okay, good idea, but I was having problems with both. Picture and sound were asynchronous, with the sound running normally while the animation kinda lagged. In both versions. I then took the [Ayako] Version and converted it into AVI format using erightsoft's SUPER.
But the converter does a strange thing to MKV's: The subs disappear.
Which is nice for me, but I fear it doesn't help you with this matter. 8)

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 4:47 pm 

So much to read above^, is the link to the eps above?

I will join you guys on this one too.