Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Space shooter engine
PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 11:14 am 

Hahahahahahaha good one 42317...hahahaha

You now have 15 extra points :lol2:

Kind of reminded me of Pinky and the Brain :lol2:

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 7:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
Hahahahahahaha good one 42317...hahahaha
You now have 15 extra points :lol2:
Kind of reminded me of Pinky and the Brain :lol2:

That's the point. :lol:

PostPosted: March 24th, 2009, 8:08 pm 

You made a WIN statement... but I lost the point of the subject :P
*edit*I think I got it.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 9:45 pm 
Post Master

Brand new video showing off my innovative idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv_WKf0khSA&fmt=18

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 6:56 pm 
Resident Scholar

Okay, I see sparrows (?) whirling in circles spraying poop.

What should I say?
April the 1st was yesterday? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 4:14 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mmsven wrote:
Brand new video showing off my innovative idea:

:blink: Let it not be said that you are not creative :lol: I trust that isn't going to be one of your innovative ideas for the actual game though, right? (I suppose it could be, but that would really be strange to see in an actual game).

Speaking of which, how's the larger scale work on the project going?

PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 4:57 am 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
Speaking of which, how's the larger scale work on the project going?

Ever since my first video, I have been revising, improving, and optimizing my engine. It has been working out excellently. The game is more polished and fast as ever, along with my code being easily modifiable. I'm not finished with it yet, though.

I have not yet implemented the gameplay mechanic I mentioned earlier in the thread. I have just been playing it safe, and I'm going to try and make it work after I finish working on the rest of my engine.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 4:19 am 
Post Master

I feel this is a fitting forum to ask. Once appropriate, is anyone willing to translate the game into Japanese? Both the arcade-shooter and RPG genre are most popular in Japan, so I figure I might be able to get a few international sales.

The problem is, I'm not sure whether I can offer any significant payment. Sales figures for other similarly obscure games tend to be rather abysmal. At this point I'm more confident about my game, though. I can at least guarantee credit where it's due.

I figure I may as well start asking now, to avoid any delay later on. After I finish the engine (soon), I'm going to write the story.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2009, 12:14 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
is anyone willing to translate the game into Japanese?

Anyone... like me. :lol2:

Willing, yes, but I fear I lack proficiency. I can translate from Japanese to English and the text will sound "good" or even "very good". The result might need some fine tuning by a native speaker to eliminate minor glitches, but I'm confident I can do it in that direction.

From English into Japanese is something completely different. While English speaking people on a train will talk to me and imagine I was an American who's spent several years in London a similar thing won't happen to me when I speak Japanese to Japanese people (apart from my un-Japanese looks). I can make myself understood well enough, but it doesn't sound (or read) like anything near native quality. It will be better than "All your base are now belong to us" in comparison, but not good enough.

I know a very competent translator... two, actually... but they're probably gonna charge you 10 Cents per word (target language).

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 12:15 am 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
I know a very competent translator... two, actually... but they're probably gonna charge you 10 Cents per word (target language).

I don't have a real job right now, so I couldn't pay with pocket money even if I wanted to. I'm already going to need somebody else to compose the music and sound, and I'd rather not have profit in the negatives.

If I we're to write 2000 words of dialogue, that would be $200 on my side.

I'm going to have to release an english-only version first and see how it does. If sales are consistently fair, I may release an international version.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 2:38 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mmsven wrote:
The problem is, I'm not sure whether I can offer any significant payment. Sales figures for other similarly obscure games tend to be rather abysmal. At this point I'm more confident about my game, though. I can at least guarantee credit where it's due.

Ouch! That man's story is rather sad. Sales really didn't seem to be going anywhere even after all the work he put in. You say your game is better, so hopefully if you put in the same amount of work in promoting it you should be able to get something out of it. Are you planning on making a site for it (or for all your games maybe) so you can offer a demo or some such? Or are you just going to try and distribute it through other sites?

As for getting it into Japanese, the question you really need to ask yourself is do you think you'll get at least $200 from selling the game to Japanese people? If so, you should do what you can to scrounge up the money to make such a move feasible. Along those lines, you may try and make it compatible with hand held devices, since cell phones and such are so big over there that if you could get the game selling into that market you could probably make some $$$. I really have no idea just how hard coding it to work on a cell phone would be though. Of course waiting to see how well it does in its English format is a viable way to go about it too. Don't want to spend the money only to have it not sell well anywhere :cry:

Lots of things to think about, but hopefully your excursion into the gaming market will treat you a tad better than it did that other guy.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 3:25 am 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
Ouch! That man's story is rather sad. Sales really didn't seem to be going anywhere even after all the work he put in. You say your game is better, so hopefully if you put in the same amount of work in promoting it you should be able to get something out of it.

Well, I never said my game is better, especially considered I haven't even made a real level yet. I just have greater confidence as to how my game will be received. I will have a much easier time self-promoting, because the type of game I'm making is very hardcore. I believe that most people that browse the internet regularly are more in-tune with this type of thing. You also have to consider how many features I'm putting into this, especially the coop mode. Making an exciting trailer shouldn't be the hardest task.

I'm also comparing my price-point to the real competition, XBLA and Steam. I think some of these independent developers are charging ridiculously high prices for what you're getting.

Later in my game's development, I'm going to make a marketing plan and think more about this topic.

Acmurphy wrote:
Are you planning on making a site for it (or for all your games maybe) so you can offer a demo or some such? Or are you just going to try and distribute it through other sites?

I do plan on making a site. Whether it be crappy free hosting, or a $100 1-year IX Web Hosting investment, I'll make it happen either way. I have a friend that is well-versed in web development.

Acmurphy wrote:
As for getting it into Japanese, the question you really need to ask yourself is do you think you'll get at least $200 from selling the game to Japanese people? If so, you should do what you can to scrounge up the money to make such a move feasible.

I have no idea. Until I really learn from my own experience, I won't be able to answer many of these questions. That's one of the reasons a large investment is out of the question.

There's also the question of whether I can actually get the word to Japan.

Acmurphy wrote:
Along those lines, you may try and make it compatible with hand held devices, since cell phones and such are so big over there that if you could get the game selling into that market you could probably make some $$$. I really have no idea just how hard coding it to work on a cell phone would be though.

I'm not so sure about that. Some probably require software dev kits. I also have to question how I could make an EXE run on anything other than windows. This is a topic I have no knowledge of at all.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 2:45 am 
Post Master

Done the current engine version! I made the video, but I totally sucked at playing AND at showing off the features. Atleast I got it in HD this time. See first post for that.

The main thing the video doesn't and can't show is how much work I put into optimizing and making the code as efficient as possible. I've done so much work that now modifying anything is as easy as editing a single value. I also have it running VERY smooth now. For comparison I did some testing on school compters, for V1: 10-30 FPS, for V2: 50-60 FPS when running on the same settings. The system I tested V1 on actually had more ram. I used a lot of dirty tricks (that didn't even work well at all) and had useless code on V1, even though you probably didn't notice it from the video.

As for new features,
-I now have most of the enemies able to spawn from the left side.
-The second player can drop in the game at any time
-You can modify the settings from the pause menu
-I have dummy-proofed my external settings file, so changing values outside the range doesn't affect the game. I also have it so if the settings file doesnt exist, the game creates it.
-Now 17 enemies, with extra bullets
-New mouse controls with a sensitivity scroller
-Arcade mode statistics counter
And more...

My next course of action is to write the story and plan everything out extensively, including some innovative mechanics.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 7:32 am 
Resident Scholar

Looks pretty good... although it's no game for me cuz I'm not good at avoiding bullet hails... except on a paintball field... :lol:
Anyways, the explosions come across nice and some ideas (like the "laser net") are really fun to look at.

Is there a reason why I can't hear any sound?
Imho sound is more important than background story... a shooter can do without the latter, but never without the first. Apart from sound effects such a game needs a musical score. The works of Chris Huelsbeck were always among my favorites.

By the way, the shooter "Apidya" that I mentioned before can be seen in this compilation (at 04:26) and a playlist with all the levels here.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 12:27 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
Is there a reason why I can't hear any sound?
Imho sound is more important than background story... a shooter can do without the latter, but never without the first. Apart from sound effects such a game needs a musical score. The works of Chris Huelsbeck were always among my favorites.

The problem is that I haven't written the story yet. I don't know what kind of atmosphere I'm going for. I also need to find someone else who can do it for a small price.