Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ranking System
PostPosted: March 30th, 2009, 8:53 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Alright, well it's time to get a post count based ranking system going. I've figured out how to do it, now we just need to figure out the different post levels, names, and if we want to have an image that goes along with it. (Images could be tricky, but they would be nice to have rather than just a name I would imagine.)

So, everyone start recommending some things and we'll see if we can't get some rankings going. We'll bounce ideas off one another till we figure something out.

*As a side note, it does not appear that you can have multiple ranks, thus 42317 and I are out of luck for post based rankings. However, I am looking into a multi-rank setup so that would no longer be an issue. Which would also leave the door open for other custom rankings.

Post subject: Re: Ranking System
PostPosted: March 30th, 2009, 9:55 pm 

Well what if the levels are at every 100 posts? 100 posts can be easy or hard to get to depending on how often your here and participating. I think people who get to 1000 posts should get a really kickass rank name, but I can't think of any other then Post Master.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2009, 10:05 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
How about anyone that has less than 5 or 10 posts is considered a n00b or newbie? Anyone with 10 to 49 posts is considered as an "Casual Fan". From 50 to 99 as "Anime Fan". 100 to 199 is a "Anime Obsessed". From 200 to 499 is an "Anime Expert". 500 to 799 is an "Anime Master". 800 to 999 is an "Official Otaku". That's all I can think of atm.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2009, 12:45 am 

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
Well what if the levels are at every 100 posts? 100 posts can be easy or hard to get to depending on how often your here and participating. I think people who get to 1000 posts should get a really kickass rank name, but I can't think of any other then Post Master.

Great idea, I would like to add that at 1000 posts the user should be able to change their title to whatever they want. We had this at CoD and I thought it was awesome.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2009, 7:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Images could be tricky, but they would be nice to have rather than just a name I would imagine.

I've never seen something like that... what would it look like? And where would we get those pics???

Acmurphy wrote:
it does not appear that you can have multiple ranks, thus 42317 and I are out of luck for post based rankings.

I'm totally happy with my "rank" which in its uniqueness is second only to the owner's. :mrgreen:

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
Well what if the levels are at every 100 posts?

Oh good lord, no! That would necessitate a very high number of ranks (which should be slightly different in terms of connotation) or an early end of the list.
I'd call anything below 100 a "newcomer" or "newbie" (but not "noob", it sounds like calling someone stupid), and reaching the top mustn't be too easy. Only dedicated posters should reach the highest ranks, and 1000 posts should be the beginning of the last third of the rank list.

Gojira wrote:
500 to 799 is an "Anime Master"

There can be only one Anime Master on this forum, and that is our friend from Long Island! :D

zero_chaos wrote:
at 1000 posts the user should be able to change their title to whatever they want.

Nah, I'd rather make that 2000 posts. Dedicated posters should be elevated, a longterm goal for wannabes. :lol:

I'm also of the opinion that it shouldn't be a linear line.
100 posts for rank 1
300 posts for rank 2 (200 more than rank 1)
600 posts for rank 3 (300 more than rank 2)
1000 posts for rank 4 (400 more than rank 3)
1500 posts for rank 5 (500 more than rank 4)
2000 posts for final rank (okay, that's a break in my continuity).

I must still think up a terminology.
Anime is an appropriate topic, but does it have to be Anime? We are talking about a wider range of topics here, so maybe the ranks should mirror a more general description of fandom.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2009, 8:11 pm 

42317 wrote:
PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
Well what if the levels are at every 100 posts?

Oh good lord, no! That would necessitate a very high number of ranks (which should be slightly different in terms of connotation) or an early end of the list.
I'd call anything below 100 a "newcomer" or "newbie" (but not "noob", it sounds like calling someone stupid), and reaching the top mustn't be too easy. Only dedicated posters should reach the highest ranks, and 1000 posts should be the beginning of the last third of the rank list.

You got a point, I just thought it would be more fun if there were more then just a few random ranks. I was mostly looking at the members list when I thought of this idea, there are so many with only a few posts that aren't even close to 100 (their own fault of course).

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 3:30 am 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
Anime is an appropriate topic, but does it have to be Anime? We are talking about a wider range of topics here, so maybe the ranks should mirror a more general description of fandom.

Doesn't have to be anime really, but it probably shouldn't deviate too far into obscurity.

I think a scaled system would be best, starting low but increasing more and more as it goes along. Maybe start it a little lower so those who don't post can at least get to something. Maybe have a first rank at 25 to show you have stuck around long enough to be recognized and then increase it to 100, 300, etc.

We do need to come up with some terms though.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 10:32 am 

*Fresno is suddenly warped here from the contest thread*

Oh I see...

Ha anyways...have members list their ranked systems....than take the best one or the best of each :lol2:
I do remember the ones back than being anime-based...but as you guys have mention it could be based on something else...at least start anime-inspired and than turn into something more powerful :gatsu: I also agree with the noob thing...ha...newcomer sounds much more welcoming...

Again...reaching the limit where you can make your own title is the one thats is most worthy :twisted:
Hopefully that should be the one every member is thriving for...creating more posts (useful posts) and thus seeing more activity around here..it is much needed!!! You have my vote!!!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 7:20 pm 
Resident Admin

Fresnokila wrote:
You have my vote!!!

We're already doing it Fresno! Though I thank you for the vote of confidence regardless :wink:

42317 wrote:
I've never seen something like that... what would it look like? And where would we get those pics???

Where would we get those pics is the question. They have a bunch of them, but they're all like 1 out of 5 stars and such. I don't really care to use those, but using an image instead of just the plain words wouldn't be bad if we could custom make the images. And they would go right where the text goes now, right above your avatar.

As for the basing, we could do it by:
Anime in general: Anime Master, Otaku, Anime Guru, Anime Squire, etc. By specific characters would work too, but are probably to obscure to actually have any real meaning to a number of people. Or we could go even more general. Just depends on what we can come up with.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2009, 7:58 pm 

So a mini banner like picture with the title on it?

Like Anime Master with Spike from Cowboy Bepop in it...or a Vegeta from DBZ?

That sounds very interesting...it's mostly stars or squares...where you would see them growing as you go up a rank...ha :lol2:

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 1:42 am 

Yeah, but you also don't want people randomly spamming to "rise in rank." (not citing anyone in particular here) :P

The picture thing is a thought. Although, what would that imply for what is available to users as their pics? Would that mean that all the people at 300 posts would have the same avatar? Am I getting this wrong? Anybody, please explain. :roll:

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 2:42 am 
Resident Admin

The image would effectively change for each new rank someone achieved. Thus the image would somehow correspond to that rank, in some why. I've added an image so people can see what it would basically look like. There's no way around having the text, it has to be there (you can't just have the text on the image and be done with it).

It certainly gives it a bit more flair than just having the text there, but I'm sort of on the fence about the end result with double stacked images. I dunno, lemme know your thoughts. (Would probably look better if it wasn't exactly like the image before it in basic shape.)

Hopefully people wouldn't resort to spamming as a way to increase their rank. It would be pretty hard on here at the moment, they'd just be talking with themselves half the time! :lol: (And with that, fairly obvious what their intentions are.)

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 2:41 pm 

Sounds good. I like the image idea. Would there be one image? A choice of images? :D Put to a vote to decide? :roll:

Acmurphy wrote:
Hopefully people wouldn't resort to spamming as a way to increase their rank. It would be pretty hard on here at the moment, they'd just be talking with themselves half the time! :lol: (And with that, fairly obvious what their intentions are.)

Yes, well the site is, as you say sort of up-and-coming still (at least in the reboot). :wink: As for spammers, their e-vile ways will be kept to a minimum, or else invoke... :evil: the wrath. :twisted: :P

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 5:44 pm 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
So a mini banner like picture with the title on it?
Like Anime Master with Spike from Cowboy Bepop in it...or a Vegeta from DBZ?

I don't find the idea with the extra picture to emphasize a rank all too sexy. One picture - the avatar - is all I need, and anything more is confusing and overburdened imho.
"Wise Sage Wolf"?? Oh, please... :lol:

As for my rank and title proposals:

0 - 49 posts: "Newcomer"
50 - 99 posts: "Forum Lurker"
100 - 299 posts: "Junior Member"
300 - 599 posts: "Regular"
600 - 999 posts: "Senior Member"
1000 - 1499 posts: "Major Contributor"
1500 - 1999 posts: "Post Master"
2000+: "Resident..." (add denotation of choice)

The ranks I propose are rather neutral. I oppose narrow terms like "Anime Crazed" because they're too special. Not everone who joins our forum is "crazy about Anime", and I guess that not everybody would be happy to be titled as such because it implies a certain fanaticism in terms of fandom that most fans lack, especially in a rather sober and mature community such as ours. And as I said, this forum is about more than just Anime and Manga. Anything can be discussed, and despite our pretty one-sided "What are you reading now?" thread :lol: discussions do not quickly return to animated topics. The average intellect around here is high enough to allow for a multitude of topics. Maybe with the exception of a certain person who thinks that rickrolling is still funny after the second time. :wink:

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 6:56 pm 
Resident Admin

AMDS wrote:
Sounds good. I like the image idea. Would there be one image? A choice of images? :D Put to a vote to decide? :roll:

There would effectively be one image that goes along with each rank, if we decide to use images. If we do a final level where you can pick your own rank you could also pick your own image. We would need to decide on the images for each rank however, whether through a vote or discussion. Still not sure about images though. Maybe we'll just use the titles for a while and then introduce images at a later date when a mod comes out that changes them up a bit.

42317 wrote:
"Wise Sage Wolf"?? Oh, please... :lol:

But of course, she is the Wise Sage Wolf Horo after all :mrgreen:

42317 wrote:
I don't find the idea with the extra picture to emphasize a rank all too sexy.

That's sort of how I feel atm, but I need to look over some of the rank mods to see if any of them modify how it shows up, etc.

I sort of like where you've gone with the rank titles. Those seem like they would work well enough. We can always change them later if we decide on something different.