Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ergo Proxy ROCKS!
PostPosted: April 27th, 2007, 4:59 am 
Newcomer

:shock: So like i finished Ergo Proxy last night and after a 24 hour cool down period (to keep my first spontaneous judgments from surfacing) I must say that this series was, hands down, the coolest anime I've watched in a long time. For the longest time I have felt unsatisfied by various anime series for various reasons, and don't get me wrong there is lots of anime out there that in cherish.

Ergo Proxy has simply filled a missing piece of my life's vastly incomplete puzzle. It's left me with many questions, but also many answers. Though i do not feel completely content with it's ending (my dark side is clearly craving MORE MORE MORE), and there is definitely enough material left to make a movie or maybe a second season, I would be just fine if they left it as it is. This series has revolved around its characters, something which is really hard to follow at times, while the plot (although important) has taken second priority. I absolutely enjoyed how it all unfolded. Heh even though I've had time to think about it, I still can't form a solid explanation of my feelings towards it.

Anyway, the reason for this thread its to spark interest and bounce ideas we have off each other's heads about Ergo Proxy. There's really no evamonkey out there for this series that i know of (if there is linky linky plz ^_^-b) so i figured a collection of idea's here would be a good start eh? Even if you've only seen a few episodes please post your ideas. My mind craves ideas and knowledge relating to anything that is Ergo Proxy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2007, 10:23 am 
Regular

OK, you've got enthusiasm. :wink: However, a basic backstory on what Ergo Proxy would be about would go a long way towards infusing that enthusiasm into others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2007, 3:43 pm 
Newcomer

lol ok I hear ya. Just gimme a little time to put something together and i'll get back to you. I'm re-watching the whole series at the moment :?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 4:56 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I am also quite interested in hearing more about Ergo Proxy. It has been on the top of my list of anime series to watch, along with Death Note. I am glad to hear it seems like a worthy watch, I will have to check it out soon. Luckily finals are next week and then I will have some time off :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 10:22 am 

I've been thinking about pickingthis one up but for the life of me I can't find anyone to tell me what the thing is actually about only that its good. Ugh it reminds me of EVA in that manner, everybody tells you how great it is but not what its actually about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2007, 1:11 am 
Newcomer

Oh man sorry for not posting sooner...but i've been really busy with work and school and stuff like that. Anyway i've looked at what i posted earlier in the what i was watching section and amended it into a full overview. I still haven't gotten a chance to watch through all of it again completely yet so this will have to be an appetizer for you guys until i get the chance to really dig into it. Please forgive me if it's a bit choppy as i've cut and pasted some of my previous reviewings from my blog post i made about it a few days ago.

This is pretty light on the spoilers, but still, be forewarned that I am reaching about 5 or 6 episodes into the series to help make a few things clearer. So if you want to be completely untainted before you begin watching, i suggest you avoid reading this lol. Anyway with out further ado:

The story initially takes place in a dome city called Romdo, which was built to protect its inhabitants after earth's environment collapsed into new ice age like state. It's very cold outside and no sunlight can reach earth's surface. All though it is not made clear in the beginning, it is implied other domes do exist or did exist at one time as their are immigrants from the outside who work in Romdo's less enticing job sectors. As the series goes on the origin of domes and their citizens are elaborated on, but for now we can just leave it like that.

Anyway, Romdo is considered by it's citizens to be a utopia. Humans and AutoReivs (which is their term for android) coexist with each other peacefully under a total management system. The first episode starts out with scenes of various murders by shadowy figures. The Cogito virus, is explained to be the cause, which infects AutoReivs and makes them self aware. It is left unclear as to how this causes them to be come killers though, but I've led myself to believe that that may have been a cover story for the murders which are starting to jeopardize the delicate balance of the social order of Romdo itself.

In secret the government has been conducting experiments on a mysterious humanoid lifeform called Proxy, which in the very first scene wakes up from its coma and escapes the facility it was being held in. The proxy itself demonstrates that it has extremely murderous instincts as we see it pop up now and then.

Real (short for RE-L124c41+) is one of the main characters in the story, and she is totally uber:

Wielding a sawn-off shotgun for kicks to get the job done, not much can shake her cool reserved attitude. She is assigned the case to get to the bottem of the murders happening in the city. After some investigation she has a run in with the escaped Proxy that the city council has been desperately trying to cover up. The series follows both her and another character named Vincent, an immigrant we soon learn is from the Moscow dome city who has lost all his memories prior to leaving Moscow. The two bump into each other several times during the start of the series (Real seemed to be a sort of contact or probation officer for him in the beginning episode), and eventually embark on a journey together.

I think i'll just stop now before i write down the whole story in detail lol...it would be fair to note that the total management system that was mentioned in the series description is a very light hearted way of describing it. The AutoReivs seem to act more as monitor's for every "fellow citizen" (this phrase gets down right annoying after a while trust me) of the city. Immigrants are looked down upon as they struggle desperately doing the dirty work the city has to offer in hope of one day becoming "fellow citizens" themselves.

Most importantly, Ergo Proxy has excellent music and over all i highly recommend watching it to everyone out there that likes anime. So yeah thats it...what do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2007, 7:55 am 
Regular

Alright, it sounds interesting enough that I might give this series a try. I'll keep an eye out for them when they start hitting the shelves here. (Australia is notoriously behind the US when it comes to getting anime releases)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2007, 2:22 pm 
Newcomer

Sounds interesting and I've heard great things about it from my friend. I'll probably watch it one of these days. Especially now that most of the non-anime shows that I watch have all showed their season finales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2007, 10:31 pm 
Major Contributor

Zaxares wrote:
Alright, it sounds interesting enough that I might give this series a try. I'll keep an eye out for them when they start hitting the shelves here. (Australia is notoriously behind the US when it comes to getting anime releases)

Just be warned that it takes four or five episodes to get into the series. I remember getting bored by episode 2 or so. But I eventually went back to it and I'm glad I did. It's an acquired taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2007, 6:25 am 
Newcomer

spazmaster666 wrote:
[Just be warned that it takes four or five episodes to get into the series. I remember getting bored by episode 2 or so. But I eventually went back to it and I'm glad I did. It's an acquired taste.

Thanks for that info. I just watched the first two episodes and I am kind of bored, but still interested in finding out what happens next. I'll stick with it and keep watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2007, 11:16 pm 
Newcomer

Quote:
Just be warned that it takes four or five episodes to get into the series. I remember getting bored by episode 2 or so. But I eventually went back to it and I'm glad I did. It's an acquired taste.

yea i agree around episodes 10 it really starts to heat up with suspense as they come close to finding out what proxies are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 1:27 am 
Lurker

spazmaster666 wrote:

I never had problems with anything early on in the series. While it wasn't exactly heavily involved with the overall plot, I thought that the development of the characters and the setting was enough to keep me watching. Instead, I got kind of bored in the middle of the series. I won't go into why since I don't want to spoil anything, but there were a few episodes where I considered just skipping them.

As a whole, though, I enjoyed the series. While I admit that I'm a sucker for dystopian literature of any kind, the atmosphere and characters were both very well done. Vincent wasn't the greatest character, but Re-l was awesome and Pino was perhaps even better. I also felt that, other than the middle of the series, the pacing for the plot was very well done and from the very beginning I was intrigued about the Proxies. The series was constantly dropping hints and minor details; it was enough that I didn't become irritated because I wasn't finding anything out, but at the same time it wasn't nearly enough and I always wanted to know more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2007, 8:25 am 
Newcomer

Whats even more awesome about the first 5 episodes or so is that after you watch the series all the way though, you really start to understand all imagery being shot at you. It's definitely a well put together anime thats for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2007, 3:15 pm 
Regular

i loved this series. i could not get enough of the characters. this series is a character driven story. the interaction between pino, real, and vincent were the highlight. in fact, a lot of the time i did not even care what their end goal was, i was just enjoying the journey. i got bored when they started to tie things up near the end because the plot was not that exciting.

i could watch the opening over and over and over...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2007, 7:31 am 
Newcomer

dbd_addict wrote:
i could watch the opening over and over and over...

/agree

The soundtrack for the series is particularly agreeable imo. Lots of good mixing in there...and i thought the use of Radiohead's Paranoid Android for the credits music was an awesome choice.