Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Apocalypse Meow
PostPosted: December 9th, 2008, 7:27 am 

I'm translating the review I published in Okanimanga, with slight changes. It's pretty much deeper than the ones usual in Animetric, but I hope that's not spoiling anything.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're analysing a historic manga here, originally called Cat Shit One and changed to Apocalypse Meow in the American release, created by Motofumi Kobayashi. In the Spanish edition, which is the one I'm analysing, this series is formed by 4 töbon, 3 regular ones and a volume 0. I believe the distribution will be the same for the version in the United States, but I can't tell for sure.

This manga deals with the adventures of a special commando unit called Cat Shit One, formed by three soldiers called Rats, Perky and Botaski, which operates in Vietnam in favor of the USA. The original point is that all characters are furries, and every different country has its own furry: the USA soldiers are bunnies, the Vietnamese are cats, the Russians are brown bears, the Chinese are pandas and stuff. It is very similar to the idea of Art Spiegelman in its masterpiece Maus. It is an excellent choice, since it helps us analysing the action with another point of view.

As previously stated, the protagonists are a special unit which follows different missions in Vietnam (each chapter equals a mission). As the war advances, the three comrades discover that there is much more behind the war that they're fighting, and they slowly gain consciousness of themselves and the impossibility to win the war. The author shows a lot of polemical topics, such as the corruption of the South Vietnamese government, the operations performed in neutral countries such as Laos and Cambodia, the "unofficial" partaking in the war by the East block and by Japan, which was not supposed to perform aggressive operations at the time... everything presented in an unbiased point of view, which is to be thanked.

The protagonists themselves are really appealing and fun: Perky, Sergeant Perkins, is the leader of the group, and he has to balance between the aggressive, rude and courageous Botaski, who seems to be resented with the whole world, and the reflexive, thoughtful and prudent Sergeant White (Rats), in a scheme similar to the Piccardian one of Star Trek. It adds a bit of spice that Botaski is actually depicted as an Afro-American, and racial matters in the USA are slightly touched in the manga.

Aside of those main characters, we have people like Chico, a Degar who helps the Cat Shit One command when required and who is a a friend of Rats and despised by Botaski, who (ironically) is the most racist of the characters. We have as well the Japanese commando unit (formed by monkeys), with the clumsy and stupid Sergeant Nakamura as the "protagonist".

Humor is an important component of this manga: aside of Nakamura and his funny counterpoint to the serious action, the soldiers crack up a lot of jokes, and some puns are really black-humored...
Aside of it, the author took his time explaining some facts of the Vietnam War, and the detail for the weapons and machinery used in the conflict is really astounding.
The Spanish edition by Glénat respects the quality of this manga, which is to be thanked. No censorship, no mistranslated parts... the price is a bit high, but one can't have it all :P
If I was to punctuate it, i'd give it a 95/100. It really deserves a high score, it's thrilling and you won't waste any of the bucks you spend on this one. Guaranteed quality, even if you're not much into the genre..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you like it! ^^

Edit: Switched the URL to a different image since ANN didn't like the hotlinking much :lol: - ACM

Post subject: Re: Apocalypse Meow*
PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 12:08 pm 
Resident Scholar

You might be interested in Cat Shit One being turned into a CG animated series, coming next winter, if the information on YouTube is correct: 12 episodes of usual TV-size.

I -MUST- see this.

Post subject: Re: Apocalypse Meow*
PostPosted: March 26th, 2009, 1:22 pm 

I have a preview of that manga on one of those manga previews books rightstuf sent sometimes along a purchase...I should read it again to refresh my memory :lol2: