Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need an expert on Internal and External hard drives.
PostPosted: February 26th, 2009, 12:35 pm 

Not sure if this is the right forum... but... here we go. My old PC burnt up, killing the mobo and PSU. It was OLD as sin anyways, so I wasn't too concerned. Except my current budget allotted only a cheap, small form factor PC as it's replacement, and after getting it home and opening it up, I discovered it only has room for 1 hard drive. Ugh.

My old PC had 2 internal hard drives that I would really, really, really like to get the data off. I went to NewEgg and started looking up hard drives, and under thier sub categories, saw 1 for "External Hard Drive enclosures." Opened it up, but I only get the tech info that is for people who know what this is for. So my question is...

Can this take an internal hard drive and connect it via USB to my PC, like my current external hard drive. And if not, is there anything that can do this on the market. Because short of going to my 'rents and slaving both drives in thier tower, and then doing 90 bajillion DVD backups, I don't see an easy way to get my data back.

Link to the enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145133

Post subject: Re: Need an expert on Internal and External hard drives.
PostPosted: February 26th, 2009, 5:57 pm 

The external case in the link would work if the size of your internal drive is small enough to fit, and if the drive is IDE. It seems you know enough so this will be a pretty simple job for you. And NewEgg is the best for low prices.

Post subject: Re: Need an expert on Internal and External hard drives.
PostPosted: February 26th, 2009, 6:19 pm 

Thanks :D They are both 80 gig drives, and both IDE. Was worried though, because while I've done PC work in college, I've never messed with external enclosures, and was clueless as to how they worked. I know my data drive will definitely be able to salvage (providing the power surge didn't eat it as well), but the drive that has Windows XP... I have a lot of torrent data on there I'm hoping I can still get to. Of course, the last time I had done back ups was August...

Just goes to show. You get lazy with back ups at the worst times :P

Thanks for the help again. With any luck, I'll be rejoining the world of "Blade of the Immortal" anime without spending countless hours re-downloading :P