Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vampire Hunter D
PostPosted: June 4th, 2008, 3:49 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well I just finished the second story and got a couple pages into the third. The second one was much more interesting than the first, with more of the standard VHD stuff that I like (Him facing off against the townspeople). And it had some fun and entertaining side characters, as well as a very interesting setup for the vampires and how they were surviving.

Now the third one is off to a fantastic start, with one of the things I love about VHD. The world in which it is set. This one has a huge, unexplored Castle from ancient times, which is a battle fortress and was at war constantly for thousands of years, and still has a nuclear power plant power some unknown thing :D Oh ya, that's what I am talking about.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2008, 10:31 pm 
Regular

Yeah, I finished the book a week ago and I still think the third one is the best. I really like Dynus (he reminds me of myself) and it was the only one that didn't have a confusing twist at the end.

I greatly disliked the first story's ending as the ambiguity didn't seem earned (It wasn't as bad as "Dark Wars," but it was close). There just wasn't enough development of the characters for me to really care about what happened to the kid.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: June 10th, 2008, 1:52 am 
Resident Admin

I just got done with the book. I have to agree about the first story being the weakest of the three with the last one being the best. Dynus was quite the interesting secondary character to have, something that VHD novels don't have so much of. (At least in terms of actual good guy fighting secondary characters anyway). I wish a bit more had been done with the castle fortress from the start of the story, rather than it just being there as the awakening place for Dynus and how he was powered. The idea of two beings created specifically to fight against one another was also an interesting idea, and a nice change from the typically stories.

Looks like the next novel that comes out is going to be a combination of the next two novels into one, merging parts 1 and 2. I'm fine with that, but they seem to have pushed back the release date to when Part 2 would have come out anyway, so it isn't exactly saving anyone anything.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2008, 9:52 pm 

Acmurphy wrote:
I just got done with the book. I have to agree about the first story being the weakest of the three with the last one being the best. Dynus was quite the interesting secondary character to have, something that VHD novels don't have so much of. (At least in terms of actual good guy fighting secondary characters anyway). I wish a bit more had been done with the castle fortress from the start of the story, rather than it just being there as the awakening place for Dynus and how he was powered. The idea of two beings created specifically to fight against one another was also an interesting idea, and a nice change from the typically stories.

Looks like the next novel that comes out is going to be a combination of the next two novels into one, merging parts 1 and 2. I'm fine with that, but they seem to have pushed back the release date to when Part 2 would have come out anyway, so it isn't exactly saving anyone anything.

Dang. You're supposed to tell me the sequels suck so I don't have to pick up the rest! :wink: I just got my daughter hooked on the first one and here eyes nearly leaped out of her skull when she saw there were 10 novels at Borders. I just finished my "sequels rarely equal the promise of the original" speech when I log in and see your review. My wallet is screwed.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: July 4th, 2008, 2:44 am 

PunkDaddy wrote:
I just got my daughter hooked on the first one and here eyes nearly leaped out of her skull when she saw there were 10 novels at Borders. I just finished my "sequels rarely equal the promise of the original" speech when I log in and see your review. My wallet is screwed.

Hehe, I just pictured my dad reading manga... it'd be awesome.
I just decided this is the next manga series I'll be following. :D

PostPosted: July 4th, 2008, 3:07 am 
Resident Admin

PunkDaddy wrote:
Dang. You're supposed to tell me the sequels suck so I don't have to pick up the rest! :wink: I just got my daughter hooked on the first one and here eyes nearly leaped out of her skull when she saw there were 10 novels at Borders. I just finished my "sequels rarely equal the promise of the original" speech when I log in and see your review. My wallet is screwed.

I think there is a slight disconnect. I was only talking about book 10 is that post. The first story in book ten (which has three short stories in it) being the weakest and the third story, or the last in that book, being the best. I think I got more into the grove of talking directly to Cab, since we have been the only two posting in this thread, and so I wasn't clear about it to outside observers.

It has been a couple years now since I read the first few books, but I will tell you that they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. And while I can't directly compare a lot of them (I can't say the 3rd is better than the first, too much time has passed), I would say that each novel offers up a unique and different enough story to definitely warrant the effort. Book one is very good, and so are many of the others. Even though, with so much material, some things do get repeated often. When all taken together though, the world Hideyuki Kikuchi created here is absolutely magnificent. I love reading about the ancient technology, the "projects" of the nobility, and not to mention, vampires :gatsu:

wolfwood wrote:
I just decided this is the next manga series I'll be following. :D

That's great to hear! And I think we are all talking about the novels, (unless I misunderstood Punkdaddy), so you may want to pick that up as opposed to the manga series. Which I have yet to check out myself.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 2:11 pm 

Well, now I understand totally, but I think I'm still going to be poor. :wink:
Maybe I'll try to convince our local libraries to help me out...

Thank you for the clarification!

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 10:41 pm 
Regular

Given a choice between the manga and the book series, I would definetly suggest the book series. The manga isn't bad but the art work isn't great and it costs more than the actual book. As for the series, you don't have to collect them all since most are stand alones. I would definetly pick up the sixth through eigth book though.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: July 29th, 2008, 10:31 pm 
Newcomer

Woah I didnt know there was a book version. Im definitely going to go check it out. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2008, 2:15 am 
Resident Admin

Well I just got hold of Vol. 11 which clocks in at 324 pages. Book looks huge, but being as it's two in one I was sort of hoping it would be a bit longer. I guess with them both not being terribly long in and of themselves they decided it was an even better move to join them together. Haven't gotten to start it yet though. Looking forward to getting a bit of free time to hit it up though. I must say, I am quite excited about it being a 4 parter, not so excited about the wait for the parts 3&4 book!

PostPosted: November 24th, 2008, 2:40 am 
Regular

You know Acmrphy, you always seem to get a book right after I finish one :lol: In all seriousness though, I don't want to ruin the book, so I'll say this much:

Get ready to find out some REALLY interesting stuff about D's world.

The rest I'll leave in spoilers for when you finish (or just want to peek ahead)

Spoiler
Okay, a few things bothered me about this book.
1. The hunters didn't get much (if any) development
2. What happened to Hugh? Johann said he was probably dead but D doesn't confirm the body or tell May...This better get resolved in the next book.
3. Too much stuff went on. Let's see...you got the baron and D, May and Hugh, Miska (who I actually found sympathy for after awhile), The Hunters (who were tough to keep track of due to the small amount of development they received), The destroyer, The alien thing, the water corps, Taki, the airport ai (did that scene even have a point?), plus a couple of other things...seriously, how the hell can someone keep up with all this?

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 7:44 pm 
Resident Admin

It's sad that it has taken me this long to really get going on reading the book, but I am now about 2/3 of the way through. So far it is a bit odd though, I guess I keep expecting things to come to a head but with another two books coming to complete the story that isn't going to happen any time soon. It's nice that the Baron is around to help D out, since he usually is a one man show, but it seems like the more skilled people they have either the worse they all get or the better their foes become. Which I suppose is how they would have to do it in order to keep things from being entirely too easy, but it really seems like it should be with the firepower they have. And Miska is just useless, like a regular women but with the "Nobel" title. The Baron is pretty sweet though, I'm sort of hoping D doesn't kill him at the end but that's sort of how they are setting it up.

You're right Cab329, the hunters are largely unexplored (at least to where I am) and I really have no idea who each of them is or what specialty they have. And there is a ton of stuff going on, but it doesn't seem to really be getting them anywhere. Still, I like that it's a 4 parter and am eager to continue reading. It is D after all :gatsu:

PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 8:52 pm 
Regular

Acmurphy wrote:
Still, I like that it's a 4 parter and am eager to continue reading. It is D after all :gatsu:

Oh, I'll be glad to continue as well, I just wish less elements and characters had been introduced. I don't think the Baron has much of a chance of living though (I mean, D even killed that one girl in the Rose Princess)

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: January 30th, 2009, 2:43 am 
Resident Admin

Just finished it off. Have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing. I might be starting to get a bit weary of the same sort of things over and over again in all the books. Same types of situations, setups, constantly talking about how beautiful D is, and of course, that D is always the same. Though I still love the world and setting of the various locations in the novels.

Anywho, I sort of like how he delved into a couple new area's here, with the alien race that battled the Nobility, and the other ancient race that existed before the nobles took power in the world. That was pretty interesting, but couldn't quite save the novel for me on its own.

It was a bit strange that they still have Hugh missing at the end, but I guess it isn't so strange given its 4 parts (or two in the case of the US release). They also didn't really do too much with the destroyer, but they have a lot of material left to go through if the next on is as long as this one was. (I don't know exactly what he's going to do since it seems like this one could have been polished off in another couple chapters.) Must have a lot of craziness going on in the next one. Hopefully it won't feel too dragged out.

It's unfortunate but this is the first novel I have felt sort of indifferent to at the end of it :cry: