Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dragonball Z Movie!
PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 1:23 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well... that's... It's sort of what I expected in one sense, but it just didn't really have the DB feel to it at all. I'd be happy with something akin to Forbidden Kingdom (martial arts with a bit of powers mixed in) but it seems like a cheaper, crappier action version of that with DB roots consisting of peoples names and basic story elements. Well, I'll still be seeing it irregardless of how bad it looks, so hopefully another trailer/the actual movie will give me a better feeling.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 4:03 am 
Lurker

this is a very bad idea because if this movie fails anyone who has not seen the anime is going to hate DBZ. :(

PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 8:16 pm 
Regular

I actually found a few people on the net who were trying to defend the filmmakers and the direction that the project was taking. They gave the argument that people who were already pushing the "fail" button were nitpicking, that the general concept was still being kept. Allusions were made to the "Bourne" movies which deviated from the novels but were good movies all the same (I only saw the first one, so I don't know if that's true).

Anyway, I'm not pissed because of deviations (well, I'm more than a bit annoyed about those), I'm pissed because the filmmakers messed with the basics as well. I mean, Dragonball was, for the most part, a lighthearted comedy with fantastical creatures, people, and things and a lot of crazy martial arts thrown in to increase the action. My main problem is that the comedy and fantasy aspects seems to have been tossed away in favor of high school angst and fight scenes that haven't been exciting for years. I mean, Dragonball had some comedy that made me laugh till my sides got sore (Piccolo was kept in a rice cooker? Krillin suddenly remembers that he has no nose and wins a fight against a stinky opponent? That's awesome!) and it seems to have been left out...along with Kami, Tien, Pilaf Krillin and Yajirobe (whoops starting to "nitpick" again). Arrgh...I just wish the filmmakers wouldn't have shat all over the "Dragonball" name and just given the movie and characters different names.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: April 12th, 2009, 9:11 am 

Opening weekend looks to be GRRRRRRREAAAT! for this movie.

/sarcasm

Not suprised, actually. Hopefully this puts a stop to half assed anime license movies. Do it right, or don't do it at all. They're 0-2 at this point, we'll see how Astro Boy fairs this October.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2009, 12:01 pm 

The film which has boxed more is Hannah Montana. Nothing to be proud of either :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 12:52 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Shirogetsune wrote:
Opening weekend looks to be GRRRRRRREAAAT! for this movie. /sarcasm
Not suprised, actually. Hopefully this puts a stop to half assed anime license movies. Do it right, or don't do it at all. They're 0-2 at this point, we'll see how Astro Boy fairs this October.

When I first moused over the link I read "dragonball-loses-its-balls-at-the-box-office-opens-friday-at-21-million" and was like, holy crap it made 21 million in its first day!?!?!?! :roll: Not quite, not quite.

It would be nice if they could keep the feel of the original more, Evolution seemed like a complete departure from not only the basic storyline, but for many of the key characters as well (especially with regards to Goku who is nothing like what Goku's like in the actual series).

While they may have failed commercially with Speed Racer, I actually thought the movie was pretty good (first part of it really seemed to drag though, I almost gave up). Of course I don't have a ton of exposure to the original series, but I did watch episodes of it when I was younger. (Speaking of which, going off on a tangent now, when I was in 7th or 8th grade I went on a cruise and won a framed cel of Racer X at an auction on the ship. Good times).

PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 9:58 pm 

Bloodfairy wrote:
The film which has boxed more is Hannah Montana. Nothing to be proud of either :mrgreen:

Haha! I completely agree with you Bloodfairy. I admit when I heard on the radio that Hannah Montana reached top in the box office I was rather shocked. Not much of a Hannah Montana fan, but I will sooner see the DBZ movie then HM.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 12:48 am 
Post Master

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
I will sooner see the DBZ movie then HM.

You mean Dragonball "Evolution"? Because you know, this movie has nothing to do with both DBZ and the original Dragonball. Calling this a DBZ movie is an insult to DBZ, even though DBZ isn't very good anyway.

I'm not even going to give this shitty movie a chance, I will just wait for Dragonball Kai.

And don't forget the awesome Dragonball Evolution PSP game!