Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: X360 vs Wii vs PS3 - My comparison
PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 5:45 pm 

Well i don't know about some people but i still like the option of the backwards compatibility. For me I can't have more then one system hooked up at once just because of the layout of my room. It's also a hassle for me to mess with the wires so I like having a system i can just keep hooked in and play any game (I'm lazy so sue me :P).

PostPosted: January 11th, 2009, 9:04 pm 
Post Master

I just found a piece of writing that proves my problem with the 360 analogue sticks is not uncommon.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/ ... ead-review

"Depending on whom you ask, or what controller you're using, some players may encounter a drift in the spacecraft after maneuvering."

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 3:37 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
"Depending on whom you ask, or what controller you're using, some players may encounter a drift in the spacecraft after maneuvering."

Yeah but controller drift can happen with any controller with analog sticks, not just the 360 controller. I've had PS2 controllers with drift issues in the past as well.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 11:54 am 
Lurker

spazmaster666 wrote:
Mmsven wrote:

Yeah but controller drift can happen with any controller with analog sticks, not just the 360 controller. I've had PS2 controllers with drift issues in the past as well.

Are you talking about when your controller makes you move by itself
i hate that Crap. :x I could be playin Dbz BT3 for the Ps2 & my Character just moves on his own & the same thing when i'm playing
Ninja Gaiden 2 or Left 4 Dead. Its the cuase of every death when ever i play.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 8:54 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:

Excluding 360, I have 9 controllers (2 PS2, 3 GC, 2 N64, 2 PS3). I haven't noticed any drift problems in any of them. It happened occasionally with my n64 controllers but is cured by simply reconnecting the controller, which wasn't the case for my 360 pads. Had to return my single 360 controller twice, and no it wasn't just a "bad batch". The first time it was the one included with the system. The second time I went to the store I had to go through snow at 9 pm with some -20 C wind chill, which fucking sucks ass.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 9:14 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Excluding 360, I have 9 controllers (2 PS2, 3 GC, 2 N64, 2 PS3). I haven't noticed any drift problems in any of them. It happened occasionally with my n64 controllers but is cured by simply reconnecting the controller, which wasn't the case for my 360 pads. Had to return my single 360 controller twice, and no it wasn't just a "bad batch". The first time it was the one included with the system. The second time I went to the store I had to go through snow at 9 pm with some -20 C wind chill, which fucking sucks ass.

Fair enough, but my point is, it's probably just an error during manufacturing, not a design flaw (versus say, the red ring problem which would be considered a design flaw)

PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 10:01 pm 
Major Contributor

spazmaster666 wrote:
Fair enough, but my point is, it's probably just an error during manufacturing, not a design flaw (versus say, the red ring problem which would be considered a design flaw)

I wonder if I could take 360 into Microsoft and have'em work on it I used to be able to with old Nintendo systems while I was living up in Seattle. That was a fringe benefit of living up there: since the NOA headquarters is out in Redmond, it wasn't too inconvenient to make a run out there to maintain the hardware. (I have no idea if they still do that or not, I just remember the folks going out there from time to time to do it.)

Here's a thought: maybe Microsoft can use King County as a place to beta-test their stuff and try to prevent some of the shit that happened with Vista and 360...
:shifty:

PostPosted: January 15th, 2009, 9:31 pm 
Post Master

Another epic edit. Added links to some stuff for convenience, fixed some inaccurate info, added more info, etc.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2009, 7:43 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
Is one of your new years resolutions to buy a new game system? Good, because it should be. Here's a guide:

<..snip..>

I don't have enough money to waste on Wii Fit and Animal Crossing so I can't comment on the bundled accessories.

First, excellent guide! Informative, comprehensive, very fair and quite interesting, but not relevant to my purchasing decision. My wife wanted the Wii fit, so I broke down and bought it for her. I'm still a PC-first guy and not really interested in a ton of games for the platforms, so I have always dragged my feet and protected my wallet. But this winter, I bought the system and a couple of games and hoped my kids and my wife would like it enough to justify the purchase.

I love it. Especially the Wii Fit and that evil board, although there are some minor flaws. However, the flaws come from annoying software features, not the very clever hardware. Originally, I purchased the game because my wife wanted it and I assumed that since I play basketball and easily run 2-3 miles at a time that I would play the Wii Fit once or twice and turn it over to the family. Then it kicked my ass. The Wii Fit Board is a system of scales that measure pressure from various parts of the board to judge where you are standing, how competent you are at balancing and to measure your weight. It is surpisingly effective at measuring balance and the Yoga and Balance games effectively train improved balance. The strength exercises are challenging and seem to progress. Honestly, I'm not strong enough to determine if any of them max-out just yet, but I'll keep trying. The aerobic exercises are the weakest link, partially because the jogging requires the use of the Wii-mote and jogging in place. I find this creates an extremely unnatural and uncomfortable stride. My kids' solution is to hop instead of jog... As with other Wii games, you can fake out the remote on some exercises that use the Wii remote, but it is much harder to fake out the board. I could go into more detail, but all you really need to know is that it works quite well. If you are interested in exercising, I highly recommend the Wii Fit. Especially if you live somewhere with -20 C windchill! :mrgreen: My god, I've gotten cold just thinking about it...

Now, I doubt I'll ever challenge anyone in this forum on any games and I certainly am not your typical gamer. Hence, my family is part of the reason that, as "Lorthreth" puts it, "Nintendo is swimming in profits." Nintendo found a way to sell games to non-gamers with radically different game play. Even their most recent patent application, for an in-game assistant that plays the hard parts is an outreach for the non-gamer. By creatively expanding the role of the peripherals Nintendo found the equivalent of a 3rd dimension in which to expand leaving Sony and Microsoft fighting each other in a 2-dimensional fight. I believe that Sony has the most powerful hardware and it seems like Microsoft has more gamer-friendly offerings. Yet Nintendo has the most creativity right now and will hopefully push Sony and Microsoft to be more creative as well. I think we would all benefit.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: January 17th, 2009, 2:51 am 
Major Contributor

PunkDaddy wrote:
Now, I doubt I'll ever challenge anyone in this forum on any games and I certainly am not your typical gamer. Hence, my family is part of the reason that, as "Lorthreth" puts it, "Nintendo is swimming in profits." Nintendo found a way to sell games to non-gamers with radically different game play. Even their most recent patent application, for an in-game assistant that plays the hard parts is an outreach for the non-gamer. By creatively expanding the role of the peripherals Nintendo found the equivalent of a 3rd dimension in which to expand leaving Sony and Microsoft fighting each other in a 2-dimensional fight. I believe that Sony has the most powerful hardware and it seems like Microsoft has more gamer-friendly offerings. Yet Nintendo has the most creativity right now and will hopefully push Sony and Microsoft to be more creative as well. I think we would all benefit.

The problem with the Wii however is that despite the fact that Nintendo is making money hand over fist, it's a platform that is once again dependent upon first-party software. Aside from the quality software that Nintendo publishes, most of the third-party games for the Wii vary from mediocre ports, to uninspired mini-game collections. Not to mention that a large percentage of the people who have bought a Wii have probably just played Wii sports and maybe a few other games so while Wii hardware is still selling hotcakes, Wii software (aside from first-party games) are not. In addition, the extra awareness of the gaming market that the Wii causes will also help the 360 and PS3 markets because it will most likely encourage Wii owners in the "casual" demographic to purchase 360s or PS3s for their friends or relatives (i.e. many moms who used to think gaming is "vile" now are much more accepting of games as a legitimate entertainment media just like TV or music). Thus while Wii hardware will likely continue to sell well, the weakness of the Wii on the third-party software front continues. So while the Wii phenomenon will certainly help the gaming market in the long run, it's own ultimate level of success as a gaming console remains in question.

Post subject: Re: X360 vs Wii vs PS3 - A real comparison
PostPosted: January 17th, 2009, 7:50 am 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
as some may still be using the 175W power brick labeled 14.2A.

I just checked my power brick, in input it says 14.8A and in output it says 14.2A. Does this mean I'm using a Jasper?

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 2:16 am 

spazmaster666 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

The problem with the Wii however is that despite the fact that Nintendo is making money hand over fist, it's a platform that is once again dependent upon first-party software. Aside from the quality software that Nintendo publishes, most of the third-party games for the Wii vary from mediocre ports, to uninspired mini-game collections. Not to mention that a large percentage of the people who have bought a Wii have probably just played Wii sports and maybe a few other games so while Wii hardware is still selling hotcakes, Wii software (aside from first-party games) are not. In addition, the extra awareness of the gaming market that the Wii causes will also help the 360 and PS3 markets because it will most likely encourage Wii owners in the "casual" demographic to purchase 360s or PS3s for their friends or relatives (i.e. many moms who used to think gaming is "vile" now are much more accepting of games as a legitimate entertainment media just like TV or music). Thus while Wii hardware will likely continue to sell well, the weakness of the Wii on the third-party software front continues. So while the Wii phenomenon will certainly help the gaming market in the long run, it's own ultimate level of success as a gaming console remains in question.

Oooh. Interesting points.

First party reliance- I want to say Nintendo has always relied heavily on 1st party software, but then I seem to remember a lot of SNK and Capcom fighting games that blistered my thumbs on the SNES. Before the Wii came out, Nintendo was a distant 3rd and the N64 hadn't done well against the PS2 and XBox. If I was a game company, I would have held off on development for the Wii unless Nintendo paid me for it. Now that the platform is a hit, I'm sure more companies are looking into development but they will certainly be 3-5 years behind Nintendo's learning curve for how to take advantage of the hardware and how to code efficiently. But you are 100% correct, if they don't get decent 3rd party support, they'll have trouble in the long term.

Third party game quality- Again consider that N64 did not do well. Only cheap games would be prepared in advance and the easiest games to port over quickly (after the Wii started selling) would probably be very simple games- in other words, sucky games. Now that there is money to be made with the established console base, I would expect the quality to improve dramatically within 24 months. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the developer kit, so I cannot say how easy it may or may not be to make games for the Wii. However, I know that Nintendo was trying to make a pretty low hurdle for 3rd party publishers to develop directly for the Wii marketplace (online store)... Not that they would allow our little game on there, so we haven't bitten that bait to get 1st hand knowledge yet. :D

Extra awareness- You may be right about the halo effect of making hard-core gaming more acceptable to moms and grandparents. Personally, I broke down for the Wii because instead of seeing a pure time-suck (I barely avoided a 12-step program for Half-life and Counter Strike and had to stop playing for a few years :)), I saw a partial time-suck with an exercise halo (hence Wii fit and Rock Band which require a bit of movement). I personally hope you are correct. More money = more jobs = developing more talent = more talent going off to make their own game companies = new and cool games for everyone!

Level of success as a console- This is the only one where I'd argue with you. Hasn't the Wii already outsold the PS3 and XBox II? And the N64? It certainly is no Jaguar or Saturn. Long term, it will be the games that keep Nintendo alive (something Atari and Sega seemed to forget), so you still have an argument there about the future health of Nintendo, but I think the Wii has proven its own strength.

Before the launch of this generation of consoles, I expected PS3 to win because it had Blu-ray installed and because it appeared to have a dominant hardware package. After the launch, I'd look at the games and wonder how the X-Box games looked so much cooler if their hardware wasn't as good. I still don't quite understand, but I'm guessing that the PS3 developers were trying to figure out how to take advantage of the hardware capabilities while the X-box developers knew what they could do and just concentrated on makeing a kick-ass game (this might also explain the crappy 3rd party games for the Wii- 3rd party guys are still figuring it out). If we just look at the hardcore market, Wii probably is still in 3rd place. My guess is that most of their sales are coming outside of the traditional market. PS3 and X-Box managers probably are sick to their stomachs that they continue to win the battle they were fighting and Nintendo decided to change the rules of the game so radically that they are only marginally fighting for the same customer.

Its like having a 3-way MMA fight only to discover one of the fighters has left the ring and has seduced the other fighters' moms!
:twisted:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 4:10 am 
Post Master

PunkDaddy wrote:
I still don't quite understand, but I'm guessing that the PS3 developers were trying to figure out how to take advantage of the hardware capabilities while the X-box developers knew what they could do and just concentrated on makeing a kick-ass game (this might also explain the crappy 3rd party games for the Wii- 3rd party guys are still figuring it out).

It's interesting to note that so far the PS3 and Wii 2009 exclusive game line-ups are looking to outperform the 360.

PS3: Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, DC Universe Online, Yakuza 3, White Knight Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Infamous, Gran Turismo 5, and Heavy Rain

Wii: Muramasa The Demon Blade, Madworld, No More Heroes 2, Rune Factory Frontier, Overlord Dark Legend, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, The Conduit, Sin and Punishment 2, and Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse

360: Star Ocean, Halo Wars, Halo 3 Recon, Forza 3, and Ninja Blade

I must be missing something here?

PostPosted: January 21st, 2009, 8:34 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
I still don't quite understand, but I'm guessing that the PS3 developers were trying to figure out how to take advantage of the hardware capabilities while the X-box developers knew what they could do and just concentrated on makeing a kick-ass game (this might also explain the crappy 3rd party games for the Wii- 3rd party guys are still figuring it out).

It's interesting to note that so far the PS3 and Wii 2009 exclusive game line-ups are looking to outperform the 360.

PS3: Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, DC Universe Online, Yakuza 3, White Knight Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Infamous, Gran Turismo 5, and Heavy Rain

Wii: Muramasa The Demon Blade, Madworld, No More Heroes 2, Rune Factory Frontier, Overlord Dark Legend, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, The Conduit, Sin and Punishment 2, and Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse

You don't seem to miss anything Mmsven, so I don't see why you'd start now. :) The line-up seems to be PS3/Wii heavy in terms of number of titles. I'm not that familiar with console games, but isn't Halo super-huge? Is it possible Microsoft is clearing out the release schedule for Halo 3 Recon and Halo Wars?

On a separate note, does anyone know the criteria for excusives? Does the console maker pay the game company to have an exclusive or does the game company agree to do it for special marketing consideration?

PostPosted: January 21st, 2009, 10:32 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:

I dunno. Any game with the words "Halo" in the title is going to sell like gangbusters, so if we're talking about commercial success, I don't think games like Killzone 2, Yakuza 3, or White Knight Chronicles are going to outperform the likes of Halo Wars or Halo 3 Recon. Then there's the new Lionhead game that's code named Dimitri (Lionhead has confirmed that they will release a new game in 2009) Gran Turismo 5 will probably compare favorably to Forza 3. As for the Wii, the problem with Wii games that appeal to a core gaming audience is that the majority of Wii owners are not core gamers, as most core gamers have long abandoned the Wii as their primary gaming consoles. What's left are much more casual or mainstream audience that are unlikely to embrace games like No More Heroes 2 or even FF Crystal Chronicles.

So at least from a commercial perspective I don't really see the 360 exclusives losing to the PS3 or the Wii.

As for the Wii's success as a console, I agree that it will continue to sell well because it has greater mainstream appeal than the other two consoles, but the software sales of non-casual titles is unlikely to ever reach the likes of what we will continue to see with the 360 or PS3.