Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X360 vs Wii vs PS3 - My comparison
PostPosted: January 1st, 2009, 11:24 pm 
Post Master

Is one of your new years resolutions to buy a new game system? Good, because it should be.

Hardware:

PS3 - Built in Wifi, Bluray drive and Bluetooth controllers (no batteries needed, but can't be replaced manually). I've heard of some cases when people's disk drives stop working.

360 - No Wifi included and a DVD drive. Widespread hardware failures including disk scratching, the RROD, and game freezing (usually leading up to a RROD). The DVD drive is incredibly loud unless you install the games to your hard drive, which some games either don't support (eg Crackdown, XBLA compilations) or perform worse (eg Halo 3).

Wii - Built in wifi, doesn't play any type of movie DVDs. 512mb of internal memory is weak, so you'll need to buy some external memory if you are going to buy downloadable games. The Wii doesn't have any type of ethernet port without buying a third-party USB adaptor, so you need a wireless router to access online features. I've never heard of any significant hardware failures though.

Features:

PS3 - Trophy support, but barely any games use it (list of games with trophy support). Support for trophies has become mandatory Jan. '09 onwards. The PSN store is great. Decent download speed and decent online speed. You can play your own videos, music, and browse the internet.

360 - The achievements system is much better than PS3's trophies, because all games support achievements and are represented numerically. The XBL marketplace is great. Great download speed, online is decent. You can play your own videos and music, and use in-game custom soundtracks on some games.

Wii - No achievements system, input lag when playing online, and no option for HD graphics. The friends system is TERRIBLE, and forces you to input a long "friend code" to add a friend and then another code for each different game you want to play with a friend. There is a web browser and a weather forecast channel.

Backward Compatibility:

PS3 - Good BC for PSX and PS2 games. Hardware BC models play near perfect, software BC models play good but some games have problems, most of which are being sorted out with firmware updates. All of the models with PS2 support have been discontinued.
Upscale up to 1080p and "smoothing" are optional. Smoothing mostly benefits 2d graphics.
Backward compatible PSX/2 games.

360 - Extremely limited BC for Xbox games. I'd say about 50% of them do not have emulation profiles (wont run) and 40% of the ones that can run will have major problems.
Games upscale up to 1080p and have AA added.
List of backward compatible Xbox games

Wii - Perfect BC for Gamecube games. GC accessories required, ports for GC controllers and memory cards on the top of the system. Some games may run faster.

Accessories:

PS3 - The d-pad on the controller is excellent and always registers properly, the joysticks feel very sensitive, and you don't have to spend any money on batteries. I don't like the triggers though, it feels like your finger is going to slip off because it goes at a big angle. The Sixaxis motion sensing is only really used in racing games, even then its better to get a racing wheel for better response time and precision. Universal accessory support is included.

Accessories included with the PS3: A wireless controller, USB charging cord, composite cable, and an ethernet cable.

360 - The d-pad is horrible on the controller and always registers in directions you aren't pressing. The 360 analog sticks are prone to drifting (had to return my controller twice to get a proper one). The unique stick positions can help sometimes.
The included headset is terrible. You can't adjust the mic volume or leniency, so for whatever reason I always have to yell to get anybody to hear me, and you can't use your USB headsets because there is no universal accessory support. BC is not available on the arcade model.

Accessories included with the 360: A wireless controller (batteries included), wired headset, composite cable, and an ethernet cable.

Wii - The controller is somewhat innovative, but just doesn't work on more traditional games, which is one of the reasons it doesn't get most multiconsole games. Playing SSB Brawl with the wiimote+nunchuck is just like playing a game with a normal controller cut in half, which is just plain awkward. Holding the wiimote sideways to play like a gamepad is also undesirable. The d-pad on the wiimote is just way too small, and the wiimote itself lacks buttons. A classic controller is a must.
The joysticks on the nunchuck and classic controller are identical and feel nice. The octagon design can help in some games and hurts in others.
I don't have enough money to waste on Wii Fit and Animal Crossing so I can't comment on the bundled accessories.

Accessories included with the Wii: A wireless controller (batteries included), Nunchuck add-on, and a composite cable.

Marketplace:

PS3 - You can purchase add-ons, movies, downloadable games, and some classic (PSX) games. Game demos, videos, themes, and images are all free.

360 - You can purchase add-ons, downloadable games, themes, images, and watch movies via Netflix. Demos and videos are free.

Wii -You can purchase downloadable games and classic (TG16, Genesis, Master System, Neo Geo, NES, SNES, N64) games. No demos available and crappy store navigation in my opinion.

Price:

PS3 - $300. If you're doubling as a Bluray player you'll want a bluray remote ($25) and an HDMI cable (cheapest I can find is $15).
Model Comparison

360 - $200 for the stripped down arcade model, and $300 for the elite model. You may want or need the wireless adaptor ($100), Live Gold subscription ($60) and an HDMI cable (~$15).
Model Comparison

Wii - $270. The other systems have dropped in price while this continues to leech the benefits, so the value has dropped significantly. If you are going to play classic games you'll need the classic controller ($25).

Last edited by Mmsven on January 7th, 2012, 8:00 am, edited 24 times in total.

Post subject: Re: X360 vs Wii vs PS3 - A real comparison
PostPosted: January 1st, 2009, 11:40 pm 

Nice comparison Mmsven, you have hit on every positive and negative point about each system. I don't know if this goes for everyone, but one negative about the PS3 is the intercooler that you buy for it. It's extremely noisy. I don't know if it's just mine, or if it's the same with all intercoolers. I believe mine was made by Nyco.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2009, 12:19 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Ah, that's a much better topic there, Mmsven. Still, the Wii kicks all the other consoles ass anytime. :P I just like it better, personally since it has all I need from a gaming console and since it's made by Nintendo and being a Nintendo fan, I couldn't resist.

Plus, you forgot to mention Godzilla Unleased on the Wii list thar. It maybe a mediocre game critically, but it's fun to play.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2009, 12:26 am 
Post Master

Quote:
Nice comparison Mmsven, you have hit on every positive and negative point about each system.

Thanks.

Gojira wrote:
Plus, you forgot to mention Godzilla Unleased on the Wii list thar. It maybe a mediocre game critically, but it's fun to play.

Key words are put in bold.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2009, 2:37 pm 
Resident Scholar

Consoles are of no interest to me, but I have to admire and thank you for your sincere efforts to come up with such a comprehensive comparison. Well done.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2009, 5:09 pm 
Post Master

Rewrote the Wii list. It was all messed up.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2009, 4:27 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
360 - No wifi included, DVD drive. Widespread hardware failures including disk scratching, the RROD, and game freezing (usually leading up to a RROD). The DVD drive is incredibly loud.

To answer rumors, the RROD hasn't been fixed. The Jasper chip isn't even being shipped in the newest consoles. The brand new 60gb pro I bought a month ago has a falcon, you can figure out by looking at your power brick. 175w = falcon. The "Jasper" could only potentially fix it anyway.

The loud DVD drive can be alleviated by installing a game to the hard drive which makes playing games pretty quiet, even on some of the "older" 360s (which makes it pretty comparable to PS3 games which usually require installation to the hard drive). With the 60GB Hard drive, you can fit around 6 to 8 games on there at a time and still have plenty of room for saves and downloadables. As for the Jasper 360s, they are appearing now in the wild though obviously not all new 360s will have them. However, even the Falcon ones are much better than the first revisions. I can tell because when my 360 was replaced with a Falcon after an RROD, it was putting out significantly less heat even though it was just a die shrink on the CPU and not the GPU. Plus, as Anandtech reported, not all Jasper 360 may be using the 150W power bricks, as some may still be using the 175W power brick labeled 14.2A. The lack of built-in WIFI is a bummer even though I would never use WIFI for online gaming (it's too unreliable); even the DS has built-in WIFI for god's sake.

Mmsven wrote:
PS3 - The controller is superior in almost every way. The d-pad is excellent and always registers properly, the joysticks feel very sensitive, and you don't have to spend any money on batteries. I don't like the triggers though, it feels like your finger is going to slip off because it goes a big angle. The sixaxis motion sensing is only really used in racing games, even then its better to get a racing wheel for better response time. Universal accessory support is included.

360 - The controller sucks. The d-pad is horrible and always registers in directions you aren't pressing. Multiple issues with joysticks inability to centre themselves, and joysticks feel somewhat stiff. The unique joystick positions can help sometimes.
The included headset is terrible. You can't adjust the mic volume or leniecy, so for whatever reason I always have to yell to get anybody to hear me, and you can't use your own because there is no universal accessory support.

The only way that the PS3 controller is "better" than the 360 is the D-pad. Otherwise, it's debatable which is better. The Dual Shock 3 is a terrible controller for shooters (the triggers suck and the analog sticks don't feel right), feels way too light, and has inferior analog sticks to the 360. Also the 360 controller is more comfortable. And sure it doesn't come with rechargable batteries in the box, but you can purchase a set for around $20. Not to mention that at least the 360 has replaceable batteries, unlike the PS3 which if the battery dies, you'll have to send it in to Sony to get it replaced (why Sony decided to go with non-replacable batteries, especially after their giant laptop battery failure fiasco, like those geniuses at Apple did with their Ipods is beyond me). But what do you really expect out of a controller that's core design is over 10 years old.

Also the 360's video scaler can also upscale to 1080p (over VGA or HDMI) just like the PS3 can; with the latest firmware it also supports 16:10 resolutions up to 1680x1050 as well.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2009, 8:23 am 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
The loud DVD drive can be alleviated by installing a game to the hard drive which makes playing games pretty quiet, even on some of the "older" 360s (which makes it pretty comparable to PS3 games which usually require installation to the hard drive). With the 60GB Hard drive, you can fit around 6 to 8 games on there at a time and still have plenty of room for saves and downloadables.

I do indeed do that, but the DVD drive shouldn't be a piece of crap in the first place. Some games can't be installed (eg Crackdown) or perform worse when installed (eg Halo 3). Also, people with arcade models are pretty much fucked.

spazmaster666 wrote:
The lack of built-in WIFI is a bummer even though I would never use WIFI for online gaming (it's too unreliable); even the DS has built-in WIFI for god's sake.

I love how the wireless adaptor nearly costs the same amount as a DS as well.

spazmaster666 wrote:
The only way that the PS3 controller is "better" than the 360 is the D-pad. Otherwise, it's debatable which is better. The Dual Shock 3 is a terrible controller for shooters (the triggers suck and the analog sticks don't feel right), feels way too light, and has inferior analog sticks to the 360. Also the 360 controller is more comfortable.

"Inferior analog sticks"-- I'm sure my TWO last controllers could prove you wrong. Try playing a shooter while you're constantly going in a set direction, walking or looking. Even without that, I don't see how 360's sticks are better. I also didn't know that being lighter would hurt anything, because I find it to be a positive aspect.

I personally only play console-exclusive shooters on a console anyway because playing with either controller sucks ass.

spazmaster666 wrote:
Also the 360's video scaler can also upscale to 1080p (over VGA or HDMI) just like the PS3 can; with the latest firmware it also supports 16:10 resolutions up to 1680x1050 as well.

Are we talking about the same backwards compatability on xbox games?

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 3:42 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
I do indeed do that, but the DVD drive shouldn't be a piece of crap in the first place. Some games can't be installed (eg Crackdown) or perform worse when installed (eg Halo 3). Also, people with arcade models are pretty much fucked.

Well the DVD drives on the 360 have gone through several models, and the current BenQ/Lite-On drives are much better than the previous drives. Also in terms of noise, it's not any louder than the DVD drives I have on my PC. Sure it's not as loud as a BD drive but you have to realize that a BD drive is only spinning at 1-2x whereas DVD drives have to spin at 8-16x, so obviously DVD drives are going to be much louder than BD drives.

Mmsven wrote:
I personally only play console-exclusive shooters on a console anyway because playing with either controller sucks ass.

I dunno, controllers aren't always bad for shooters. For instance games like Gears of War or Halo actually play better with a controller because they were designed to be played with a controller. Even when I played those games on the PC, I still preferred using my 360 controller. On the other hand, games like Call of Duty 4 or Half-Life 2 still play much better with a mouse and keyboard then they ever would with a dual-analog controller. In anycase I just love the "feel" of the 360 controller, definitely the most comfortable console controller I've ever used. To that point I've been trying to use the 360 as much as I can even when playing PC games (it's definitely more comfortable than a mouse and keyboard will ever be) even if I have to use third-party input software like Pinnacle or Xpadder.

Mmsven wrote:
Are we talking about the same backwards compatability on xbox games?

It's irrelevant whether we're talking about backwards compatibility or not. Everything on the 360 scales to whatever your resolution is set to (whether it be 1280x720, 1920x1080, or 1680x1050). As far as I know almost all 360 games are natively output at 720p (except for Halo 3 which output natively at 640p) whereas most Xbox games are output at 480i or 480p. It's up to the video scaler to then upscale those resolutions to 720p, 1080p or in the case of 16:10 resolutions, 1680x1050. All upscale means is to convert to a higher-resolution. Whether or not additional video processing in involved (i.e. de-interlacing, edge enhancement, detail enhancement, etc.) is a separate discussion.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 5:05 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
Well the DVD drives on the 360 have gone through several models, and the current BenQ/Lite-On drives are much better than the previous drives. Also in terms of noise, it's not any louder than the DVD drives I have on my PC. Sure it's not as loud as a BD drive but you have to realize that a BD drive is only spinning at 1-2x whereas DVD drives have to spin at 8-16x, so obviously DVD drives are going to be much louder than BD drives.

Better =/= good. I don't have this problem with the Wii's drive.

spazmaster666 wrote:
It's irrelevant whether we're talking about backwards compatibility or not. Everything on the 360 scales to whatever your resolution is set to (whether it be 1280x720, 1920x1080, or 1680x1050).

You're right. A friend of mine told me that xbox games upscale to 720p and I thought I confirmed it at some point.

spazmaster666 wrote:
As far as I know almost all 360 games are natively output at 720p (except for Halo 3 which output natively at 640p)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 6:44 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Better =/= good. I don't have this problem with the Wii's drive.

Well the Wii's slot-loading DVD drive by default runs at 6x I believe (from what I've read) which accounts for why it's quieter than most DVD drives you see for PCs and of course the 360 DVD drive (which usually spin up to 16x). The amount of noise a drive makes is pretty much directly related to it's spin speed (though of course it varies depending on the drive manufacture). There's not much Microsoft can do about that (well except for the install onto hard drive feature).

Mmsven wrote:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

I think I've seen that thread before, but in any case, yeah there certainly are 360 games that don't render natively at 720p, most likely for performance reasons.

Post subject: Re: X360 vs Wii vs PS3 - My comparison
PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 8:58 pm 
Post Master

I have modified the comparison greatly from my original post. Check it out if you only saw the original.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 2:26 am 

spazmaster666 wrote:
The only way that the PS3 controller is "better" than the 360 is the D-pad. Otherwise, it's debatable which is better. The Dual Shock 3 is a terrible controller for shooters (the triggers suck and the analog sticks don't feel right), feels way too light, and has inferior analog sticks to the 360. Also the 360 controller is more comfortable.

I completely agree. I liked the PS2 controller and it felt really solid. I don't think I can say the same for the PS3 controller. I have played two FPS on the PS3 and felt the control was horrible. Maybe after practice it would feel better, but the first time I played a FPS with the 360 controller I felt the control was wonderful. The 360 controller is a great step up from the original xbox controller, but I still think it needs work.

Side note on the controller debate. For long periods of gaming, the Playstation controllers have always been more comfortable than all other controllers, at least for me.

Quote:
I love how the wireless adaptor nearly costs the same amount as a DS as well.

I also love how Microsoft can and will charge you for everything possible such as the wireless adaptor.

Another side note, I really want a Wii but I don't see me playing it enough. :roll:

Very good list and writeup Mmsven.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 11:06 am 
Newcomer

In my opinion, even though the Wii is the least performing of the three, it has one major point over the others.

It has sold the most. And for a profit from day one. Nintendo is swimming in profits.

Microsoft and Sony on the other hand had to rely on game sales just to break even the first few years. Both the 360 and PS3 were major losses.

moo...

PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 5:03 pm 
Lurker

After going through this list, I'm beginning to wonder one thing. Does anyone even seem to care about backwards compatibility anymore? It's a nice feature to have, but I've noticed the 360's lack of it, as well as the PS3's different versions carrying different hardware/software/none at all based on the user's preference.

I'm pretty sure that people who have owned a PS3 have owned a PS2, 360 an Xbox...

Ehh small rant. :doh: