Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Live-Action Advice
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 3:51 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Since there's an Anime and Hentai Advice thread, so it's reasonable to have a Live-Action Advice thread. Why, cuz the Live Action thread needs your unconditional love and support so that it can have a happy, healthy life. If not, Aaron would take this thread to the kennel and have it put to sleep. I'm kidding folks... or am I?

Anyway, the point of this topic is just like the previous topics mentioned, but only with movies and TV. So which shows would you recommend to anyone and which ones to avoid? It's simple as that, but at least provide your reasons of course.

Alright, let's start this motha up! Hmm... Well... I can't think of any movies or TV to recommend to anyone, but I advise everyone to avoid Twilight as much as possible. That movie is the reason why vampires have gotten lame over the years. Nuff said.

So, what's your recommendations? If anyone is wondering which b-movies to watch, I'll be gladly to help you on that. :gatsu:

Post subject: Re: Live-Action Advice
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 10:05 pm 
Major Contributor

If you're new to the whole Blade mythos, i highly recommend that you watch Blade and Blade II. Both movies feature a wide variety of martial arts combat, sword battles, vampire schemes galore, and best of all in those first two entries, Wesley Snipes as Blade, the Daywalker, portrays Blade with great dedication and superb attention to detail in regards to his physical bouts with bloodsuckers. As well as in both movies, Blade receives all the help he needs from his weapons maker/mentor Abraham Whistler portrayed by Kris Kristofferson. But i strongly implore you rookies out there to not watch the third and final entry in the Snipes trilogy, the strongly mistitled Blade Trinity. Even Wesley hates that one and so do the hardcore fans. For good reason as well, the Blade movies are supposed to showcase Blade, not shift the attention to Van Wilder and a 7th Heaven daughter. In the movie, of the "trinity" that encompasses Blade, Abigail Whistler (Jessica Biel), and Hannibal King (Ryan Reynolds), he's civil and a bit mentor-like to Abby since she's Whistler's daughter and Whistler was always like a father to him. As for Blade and Hannibal, Blade hates his guts and they NEVER have one friendly moment with each other, which brings us to the whole point that if the "trinity" was supposed to be all united as fighters for the same cause, they failed. Trust me, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor subconsciously in never viewing it. As for the TV series that followed starring Sticky Fingaz as the Daywalker, i have yet to see the whole show but since it only lasted one season, i guess i shouldn't bother since fans seem to be in universal agreement that the ONLY actor who can ever do Blade justice is Wesley Snipes.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 10:30 am 
Lurker

The second Blade movie was somewhat disappointing to me personally due to its sparing usage of Donnie Yen as a character. As the movie fight choreographer, Yen does superbly, but his brief cameo in the film is very lacking. I really felt that he could have been utilized a lot better as an on-screen presence. The movie as a whole was... entertaining, but... yeah.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 6:19 pm 
Major Contributor

Horror movies may not have much appeal to every audience but they have a very loyal fanbase among the ones who do like that kind of genre. Not only that but the actors who have played either horror icons or are notorious horror actors in the sense that it's what's mostly on their resumes seem to have a very tight knit union of friendship. Especially considering all the conventions they go to, it's inevitable.

Another interesting thing about actors who usually play villains is that when people meet them in real life, a common recurring theme is how nice they are in comparison to actors who usually play heroes. For example, Michael Ironside practically makes his living acting parts of villains or people that seem like jerks. I'm sure he's a very friendly and nice man when one gets to know him. Point here would be to hate the part, not the actor. And that actors who are notorious as villains should not be viewed as scary in terms of the social factor. If one sees one of them on the street and has the opportunity to talk to them, just be cordial and not rag on them how much of a jerk or villain they were in some movie and the experience will be a great memory.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 5:35 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
Another interesting thing about actors who usually play villains is that when people meet them in real life, a common recurring theme is how nice they are in comparison to actors who usually play heroes.

After teasing the reader like that how about a concrete example from real life, putting a nice villain actor against a condescending hero actor? When I read that line I was hoping for something like that.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 5:44 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
G-Core wrote:
Another interesting thing about actors who usually play villains is that when people meet them in real life, a common recurring theme is how nice they are in comparison to actors who usually play heroes.

After teasing the reader like that how about a concrete example from real life, putting a nice villain actor against a condescending hero actor? When I read that line I was hoping for something like that.

Obvious example would be Christian Bale who plays a lot of heroes but doesn't talk that way when it comes to dealing with a certain director of photography nor his mother and sister. A guy like Tom Wilson whose most notorious role is the Back to the Future bully Biff Tannen has been known by many people who have met him to be a very sweet guy off camera and a very nice sense of humor about it, hence his Question Song.

Is that enough evidence for you?

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 6:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
Is that enough evidence for you?

Yes, thank you. That completes your post. :d^_^b: