Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ever17
PostPosted: November 1st, 2008, 5:12 pm 
Newcomer

Could it be... that you haven't checked this spectacular game yet?? :lol: 8)

I have finished 1 out of 5 story lines and so far all I can say is... ohhhhh... :bow:

Good music, great drawing and lots of special effects, good seyuu work and a very long and complex story. A must for any visual novel game fan! :roll:

Post subject: Re: Ever17
PostPosted: November 1st, 2008, 6:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

:mad2:

So, what's this great game about?
Care to offer any links?
Anything to make this new thread worth the effort?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 5:56 am 
Newcomer

Why so nervous? :lol2: Why so saaaaaaad??!! (as a Joker said in Dark Knight movie) :gatsu:

Quote:
So, what's this great game about?
Care to offer any links?
Anything to make this new thread worth the effort?

Well, obviously, it's a great, suspenful, dramatic, tragic and extremely complex sci-fi story that makes this game a very meritous visual novel launched at 2003 by KID.

It's about 7 people trapped in a marine amusement park during a mysterious disaster... will they survive? what other perils and secrets lurk in this amusement park and around it?

http://vndb.org/v17

Would you like me to add something else? :)

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 1:39 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
ViktorZ wrote:
Why so nervous? :lol2: Why so saaaaaaad??!! (as a Joker said in Dark Knight movie) :gatsu:

Lemme show you the pencil trick.
j/k :lol:

I just had to that. As for the topic, sounds like an interesting game, but I don't have the urge to play it, since I hardly play video games anymore.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 4:17 pm 
Major Contributor

Gojira wrote:
Lemme show you the pencil trick.
j/k :lol:

The meanest pencil trick ever...
:clap:

It's a PC game though. Just about the only games I've seen that can work on Mac are DVD-games, which'd work on a Mac at least as current as what I have because everybody's been using DVD-R drives for some time now...

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 7:18 pm 
Resident Scholar

ViktorZ wrote:
Well, obviously, it's a great, suspenful, dramatic, tragic and extremely complex sci-fi story

Why and by what means is that "obvious"? :wtf:

ViktorZ wrote:

I'm interested in why it's called "Ever17"? :?

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 8:58 pm 

42317 wrote:
ViktorZ wrote:
Well, obviously, it's a great, suspenful, dramatic, tragic and extremely complex sci-fi story

Why and by what means is that "obvious"? :wtf:

ViktorZ wrote:

I'm interested in why it's called "Ever17"? :?

I have the theory that ViktorZ has something to do with the creation of the game.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2008, 11:07 pm 
Regular

Looked at the wikipedia article...
Seems like Poseidon Adventure but at a water park...plus a lot of scifi...a LOT of scifi...

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 6:12 am 
Newcomer

First off, this is NOT an adult game - it's all age one ;).

Secondly... DON'T READ WIKI!!! It has absolute spoilers that I have unfortunately read and now am deeply sorry for almost spoiling the game for myself... :evil:

And no, I have nothing to do with the game's creation ;).

Why Ever17? Well, cause there are some occasions where number 17 plays an important role, like, one of the main heroines looks like 17, but is 24 years old, like... first part of the game is on 2017 and the second is on 2034 = 17 year difference; and alike. The "Ever" part has to do with the fact that character fates are connected in space and time and some "infinity loops" occur. I will know more when I will finish the game... :P

Speaking of numbers: it has 11 endings = 5 good ones, 3 bad ones and some 3 "epilogues"... dunno yet what are they. There are 4 girls you have to get good endings to get the "real" 5th good ending. You will learn everything in detail if you get a walkhrough.

Speaking of "navigating" the game story, I noticed some tendencies like, many choises can be pretty much non-fatal so you have quite a lot of freedom. It was easier for me to get my first good ending than the according bad ending... :roll: though I was following the walkthrough first to get the good ending and then I tried to trace a place in plot from where I could make really fatal mistakes to get the bad ending eventually... :P

Now as for the technical problems... there are many, but I found solutions to all of them.

1. you can't install the game, since installer demands some "original" cd that you don't have; however, you can take all the contents of four cd images, extract them and take all movie, sound, voice, etc etc files and folders where there main exe (not setup exe) is. From there game exe is smart enough to figure it's way to play the game.

2. once in full-screen mode you probably can't switch to any other running program, at least I can't :) so get used to that ;)

3. in slower PCs like mine (1200mHz) some animation effects like "fade" can be too much of a burden so you just have to turn it off, but everything else works good enough;

4. there are 1 intro, 5 ending and 2 intermediate movies in the game. In my pc the video reader for this game only recognizes that a movie for example is as long as 20 seconds when in reality it's 2 minutes long; however, I tried GOM player and it also has the same timing issue, but it ignores it and plays the whole thing eventually. Other players should be able to read the movie files properly as well, but you will have to exit the game and play the movies manually.

All in all I didn't expect so many technical problems, but....... the story is SO GOOD that it makes up for all the frustration one can feel!!! :clap:

And, well...

DON'T READ WIKI!!! (I did... :| )

And... :D

DON'T SEE ENDINGS YOU HAVEN'T ACHIEVED!!!

For you will ruin all the fun in solving the riddles of this magnificient game.

You've been warned... :roll:

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 7:35 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Yes I know the game is not adult but even though the Bishoujo Games forum is under the "Adult" umbrella, since most B-games are, there will be those like Ever17 which may not be adult but still more accurately fit here. I'll adjust the subtext to accordingly reflect that.

As for the first post comments, they're just looking for a bit more explanation as to what exactly makes you think the game is "great, suspenful, dramatic, tragic and extremely complex sci-fi story." They're all great words to describe how much you like it, but they are meaningless to those who have no played the game and know nothing about it. If you expand on the reasons why you find it great, suspenseful, dramatic, etc., then we would all be happy and people would know if the reasons why you like it match with theirs.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 8:31 am 
Newcomer

Pardon my abruptness. :lol2:

As for my given epitethes... well I only refer to the story as a whole.
Quote:
Good music, great drawing and lots of special effects, good seyuu work and a very long and complex story. A must for any visual novel game fan!

That's what I have said :).

Quote:
"great, suspenful, dramatic, tragic and extremely complex sci-fi story."

Well... "great", because it has many well working story telling components like... special animation sequences, good drawing, good seyuu work, appropriate intro/outro/background music and so on. :) And the plot is very complex and sometimes mind-bogling in a good sense of the word :).
"suspenful, dramatic, tragic"... well... you're one of the people trapped in a large underwater amusement park complex. You can die anytime soon because of flooding... and not only!!! :twisted: Plus, you have ~6 days to live until ocean pressure squashes you and your folks and you all die helplessly unless you find a way to escape. :bow: And the girls themselves have secrets of their own. Not to mention some mysterious events that I wont's tell about here ;). Or the reason why the "accident" happened and was it an accident at all...

I will answer any other questions if they will mean not giving away some spoilers ;).

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 7:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
I have the theory that ViktorZ has something to do with the creation of the game.

I rather have the theory that VictorZ is an overly genki geek. :sigh:

ViktorZ wrote:
Why Ever17? Well, cause there are some occasions where number 17 plays an important role, like... (and so on)

Which means the developer lacked a better idea. That's all background information. If a book is called "Dragonborn" I want some draconic offspring to openly appear, and not read in some review that the draconic nature of some person in the story can be interpreted from this and that fact...

It's like a headline in the newspaper... today I read an article on military.com that had a headline like "US strikes Villages in Pakistan", that's why I clicked it in the first place. But in fact the article was about the general situation in southern and eastern Afghanistan, with a single mention of Pakistan's mountainous west border as a refuge for extremists who fight against coalition and NATO forces in Afghanistan. I feel cheated in such cases.

ViktorZ wrote:
1. you can't install the game, since installer demands some "original" cd that you don't have

Hm... okay, we all cheat on the copyright owners now and then... but we don't say it openly.
Looks better on the forum's outside facade. :wink:

ViktorZ wrote:
Quote:
Good music, great drawing and lots of special effects, good seyuu work and a very long and complex story. A must for any visual novel game fan!
That's what I have said.
(...)
I will answer any other questions if they will mean not giving away some spoilers.

Next time when you're bursting with some great gaming or whatever news please give a little summary and a link right in the beginning. I'm not a Genie from a bottle, I can't snap my fingers and conjure the respective knowledge out of thin air. Giving some information is something I consider a matter of being polite. I'm not saying you're stupid, I just think that you're too spontaneous. So, please, take your time, give it a minute of thought before you start writing. I would really appreciate that.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2008, 8:49 pm 
Major Contributor

ViktorZ wrote:
1. you can't install the game, since installer demands some "original" cd that you don't have; however, you can take all the contents of four cd images, extract them and take all movie, sound, voice, etc etc files and folders where there main exe (not setup exe) is. From there game exe is smart enough to figure it's way to play the game.

If this is a reply to my post about not running the game on a Mac, the original CD has nothing to do with it. It's an OS issue, meaning that I personally do not meet the system requirements needed to play most games. It's not as if I can't play games on a Mac, as games are available through the Apple Store, and like I said last time, DVD games can be played on more current Macs because most modern PCs (regardless of OS) use DVD-RW for the optical drive (witch is part of why you don't see floppy drives built in anymore). Edit: it's that most of the games I really wanna play on the computer are for Windows.

I could always upgrade to version 10.5 of Mac OS X because it includes Boot Camp (which allows Mac to run Windows) and play PC games that way, but I'd also have to buy Windows. That'd make the bill for an upgrade around $300ish with taxes, and for me it's just not worth it. It'd almost be better to get a gaming laptop that ran Windows native if I could find one cheep enough, and I don't feel I can afford that either.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2008, 5:49 am 
Newcomer

Allright, 42317, my bad, my bad. :lol2:

It's just that I thought I could ask people around here if you played this game - I didn't have the intention to write a full scale review. ;) And if I don't want to write review but instead just poll you people on some game/anime where can I do that? :)

PostPosted: November 4th, 2008, 6:42 pm 
Resident Scholar

ViktorZ wrote:
I didn't have the intention to write a full scale review.

Who was asking so much as "a full scale review"? :cry:

Oh whatever... I'll just remind you again next time... :roll: