Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yûutsu
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 7:57 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
First 3 episodes of Haruhi. That hour felt longer then it should have.

Haruhi is not the Über-Anime that many people make it in their minds and this episode-alternative-order-rubbish sucks big eggs. I didn't really like it, but my opinion slightly improved when I watched the episodes in chronological order.
It was a stupid idea, changing the order. I guess the publishers wanted this, what's it called, suspense curve to be standard, I mean otherwise the main protagonists
Spoiler
kiss
really early and that's not quite the usual procedure, oh my god, someone felt it was inappropriate or something.

When I had watched it I spent some thought on the characters, especially Haruhi, and I thought that different interpretations of the series necessitate different interpretations of the character. I dunno the details anymore, but I concluded, like, that Haruhi indeed was a stupid bitch if she had godlike powers which influence her environment, especially if she is aware of that power.
On the other hand, if all that "she's a god!" talk among the fans is nonsense (like I believe) she's just a girl who is yearning for acknowledgement or appreciation but who is at the same time too proud to admit it and to go with the flow. She does all that strange stuff to receive attention, but in a different way the clubs that she tried cared for her. I can't quite put my finger on it. But note how happy she is after people liked her performance of "God knows" and "Lost my music".

Well, I liked the character design. It's not overwhelming but I find Haruhi very pretty. Stereotypical design, yes, some sorta moe type, yes. But it's just my personal opinion anyway. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 8:24 pm 
Regular

Well, IMHO the best about Haruhi IS the randomized order, and calling it rubish is going too far, it's an artifice as anything else. Some anime put over ecchi, some invest in plot, some take the plot they have and twist it.

er ... there are some worst spoilers in your post than the kiss thing, hint: God.

I think the order is perfect because, in that order, they keep the MYSTERY, while at the chronological order, it's more about romance and almost a slice-of-lice series (since the whole mystery is ended early, as you well put about said kiss)

All my opinions, which is also based on the novels (as I read lots about it on Asuki foruns), can be found here, so I will not repeat myself ;)

http://www.daisuki.com.br/essay/suzumiy ... _no_yuutsu

I love the CD, I find it one of the prettiest, which was something to expect from KyoAni, but mind you, judging an anime because of CD is very weird. My favorite anime have a very weird CD but it's still the best anime ever =p (Fantastic Children)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 8:37 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
er ... there are some worst spoilers in your post than the kiss thing, hint: God.

Gee, thanks for making it obsolete anyway.
But since I do not believe in this God-stupidity I don't consider it a spoiler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 8:56 pm 
Regular

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5th, 2008, 9:31 pm 
Post Master

I had already heard all this god stuff (from those 3 weird people) from the 3 episodes I watched so It's not spoiling anything for me at least.

EDIT: I just realized, I WAS watching it chronologically. It doesn't seem mixed up at all. Part III is a direct continuation of part II.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 8:21 am 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
I had already heard all this god stuff

Yes, it's mentioned pretty early... so how could it be a spoiler?
Spoilers are related to the conclusion of a story, or is that a misconception?
Anyway, since they just took a small fraction from the novels there is no real end to the story, besides the one that they artificially created by changing the episode order. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 11:43 pm 
Major Contributor

The show is based on a light novel series (compare to the likes of Full Metal Panic or Shakugan no Shana). That alone should tell you that it's not designed to be a serious study in philosophy. You have to look at media for what it is. While there are certain some deeper themes in Haruhi Suzumiya, never once did I expect much from that aspect of the show (i.e. complexities are often presented but not elaborated on). Neither was it the reason I watched. Haruhi Suzumiya is a good show because it's 1.) entertaining, 2.) well executed. 3.) well animated. 4.) demonstrates that a show that seems to be clearly designed as fanservice on its face can have substance.

Whenever you expect too much out of a series, or mistake it for something it's not trying to be, then you're going to be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 12:30 am 
Post Master

Quote:
Haruhi Suzumiya is a good show because it's 1.) entertaining, 2.) well executed. 3.) well animated. 4.) demonstrates that a show that seems to be clearly designed as fanservice on its face can have substance.

1 and 4 are your opinion and 2 is debatable (I'm not volunteering for a debate though).

Quote:
Whenever you expect too much out of a series, or mistake it for something it's not trying to be, then you're going to be disappointed.

I was never expecting to like it. I just wanted to confirm those thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 4:50 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
1 and 4 are your opinion and 2 is debatable (I'm not volunteering for a debate though).

Of course it's my opinion. Just like it's your opinion that you didn't like it. :? I thought we had already established the concept of what an "opinion" entails. ;)

And while I agree that whether the show was "well executed" or not can be debatable, I really don't think someone who only saw three episodes of the series can even be part of such a debate. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 5:15 am 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
And while I agree that whether the show was "well executed" or not can be debatable, I really don't think someone who only saw three episodes of the series can even be part of such a debate. :P

That's what I meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2008, 1:57 pm 

Personally I thought it was the most awesome thing I've ever watched when I started watching it. Getting the episodes weekly jumbled up was part of the experience. It was definitely daring, especially putting on such a crazy first episode. And yeah it was well executed and animated, and it was polished to a fine sheen. The characters are very animated, Haruhi and her various hand movements and everything are just entertaining to watch in itself. Little details like Haruhi and Yuki running in the background with the concert gear were put in, for those who like to nitpick stuff. I got the impression it was going to be an anime about a crazy film club.... but it turned out to be something more crazy than that. The show just has alot of charm.

Anyway the first novel and the third novel have been animated so far. Or more like... bits of the third, the third novel being a bunch of random short stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11th, 2008, 4:22 am 
Regular

i thought it was an average anime. it made me laugh a bit, mostly loved nagato and her "antics". unfortunately i figured out the "mystery" very early on (i watched it in the normal chopped up way). so i was just watching for the humour. sadly there was not enough of it.

i liked the idea. i would not recommend this anime to anyone though. not enough humour/action/drama to pass the time. maybe if i had no idea how it would turn out i might have that, but the anime never tries to tease you or throw you off with red herrings. it is quite predictable. it would make a cute movie. i remember watching this theme before in a movie.

Post subject: Re: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yûutsu
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 7:52 am 
Resident Scholar

I found this one interesting... "Haruhi on the table".
Senseless, but entertaining.

Here's a "Hidamari Sketch" parody:

The original looks like this:

I'll add this one, for the fun of it.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 10:40 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
42317 wrote:
I found this one interesting... "Haruhi on the table".
Senseless, but entertaining.

I agree. I have to admit that the person who made this did a good job in editing the animation to an real life environment.

42317 wrote:
Here's a "Hidamari Sketch" parody:

The original looks like this:

lol Both videos are cute in their own ways.

42317 wrote:
I'll add this one, for the fun of it.

That video is not as got as the others, IMO just because I've seen so many avatar and signature using that animation in particular, that it can become annoying after a while, especially with the Naruto fans (Damn you Naruto!!!!Image) *Please ignore the mini-rant there.

As for the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu), I thought it was great until it gets to the end, which I thought it kinda got boring. I think it's a wonderful series, but it did not live up to the hype and it's a tad overrated too. What I like the best from the series is Mikuru!

Mikuru Beam!

Hilarious! :lol:

Last edited by Gojira on October 27th, 2008, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 2:03 pm 
Newcomer

Hi!
I also found a funny video related to haruhi.
This is the hare-hare dance by all stars by Kyoto Animation, the Animation company of lucky star, haruhi, clannad...

This was uploaded at niconico video (Japanese youtube).

↑oops.I can't show jp.youtube.com...? :diss:

Last edited by A2C on October 23rd, 2008, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.