Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 24th, 2017, 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Aru Majutsu no Index (ongoing)
PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 6:53 am 
Newcomer

Fresh! New! Interesting!!!

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=5975

It's a visualisation of the Light Novel series. The story contains lots of action, black humor, magik, mystics ans alike. The animation and music is superb. Though this genre is a bit new to me I like it so far. If this anime will be long (~26 episodes) and develop it's story well enough it should be a big hit!

I won't go on to details since you can find everything here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Other than that, it looks like a love story, since ED gives a lot of emphasis on the pair and shows them as at least GOOD friends, but likely lovers(without sex) as well! So far two episodes aired, more to come! :D

I love this series already, and you? :lol:

Last edited by ViktorZ on October 15th, 2008, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: To Aru Majutsu no Index (ongoing)
PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 11:17 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Since this is the first post in the thread for the series, it would be helpful if you said what the series is about, an overview, what it is that you like about it, don't like, etc.
Rule 14 wrote:
If you are going to post, please say more than just a couple of words. This is a discussion board, a discussion is hard to have when all someone says is "I watched x anime series," or "I agree with your comments." Did you like the series? Pros and cons? Why do you agree? Expand on ideas so people have something to work off of when forming a reply.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 11:30 am 

Its about some world where people can use magic, and this guy who somehow... nullifies magic or something? And then some nun ends up with him, who contains all this forbidden information within her, and he's to protect her or something.

It was an anime of the new season I considered picking up but haven't. I just might sometime but who knows?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 11:30 am 
Newcomer

Sure. ;)

First post updated.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 3:20 pm 
Resident Scholar

Pffff... you're giving a Wikipedia link. That's pretty cheap.
It's a sign of quality to summarize plot and concept in your own words. Yeah, I know that's work, but it's not that difficult and it's definitely worth it. I do that, too, whenever I think a series that I watched is worth mentioning. Just try. :wink:

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 5:27 pm 
Newcomer

Yeah, Yeah, true, but it IS work and I'll wait to see more episodes to learn more.

So far after seeing two episodes that's what I can tell anyway. Moreover, I didn't read the light novels or manga so all I can do is quote wiki. :)

Btw, I know mangas, animes(TV format), OVAs, movies but I didn't encountered "light novels". What are they? (Sure, I could read wiki, but maybe someone "dealt with them" already? :))

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 6:24 pm 
Resident Scholar

What are light novels?
Hm, that's a good question. I have a notion in mind, but I can't put it in words really well, I think.

I think it's a genre of stories that have no real philosophical depth or intellectual pretense, like a common comic book without pictures.

In western publications there are stories about soldiers/fighters (just put them in different epoch scenarios, like fantasy, the middle ages, Wild West, a World War, the Cold War era, or Sci-Fi), about private investigators, about physicists, about melodramatic relationships and love triangle hardships - the first two being mostly action and the latter two usually being romantic stuff. In Japan, light novels often feature the same stereotypical heroes, and Anime turned into book form is usually also called a light novel, like "Suzumiya Haruhi" or "Banner of the Stars", if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 8:19 pm 

I wouldn't go ahead and cheapen light novels like that. It is after all, a medium and anything can go. Light novels too can have philosophical depth and intellectual pretense.

I would define it as a big story given in the form of many smaller novellas, often included with illustrations of a few scenes and characters. Not enough images and too much text to be considered a picture book. While the story can range a lot and you do get simple comic book/manga/anime like stories as well, I'm sure there are some more serious stuff out there. Although I think some light novels are one-offs, but then I think they are just considered plain ol novels if they are stand alone.

That said, Suzumiya Haruhi and Banner of the Stars were made FROM light novels, and not the other way around. Light novels were the original material. So were various other animes, like Shigofumi, Spice and Wolf and yes... Full Metal Panic as well.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2008, 8:49 am 
Newcomer

Wow! Thanks for your explanations - that helped me very much :D.

So, how do you like this new anime? 8)

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 6:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Suzumiya Haruhi and Banner of the Stars were made FROM light novels, and not the other way around.

Yes, of course you are right. My bad.

I did not mean to "cheapen" light novels, but there must be a reason why they're called "light novels". I haven't seen any "heavy" stuff yet, and what I have seen did in some cases sport a certain philosophical appeal, but it was all very superficial and meant to entertain rather than really make you think ("Welcome to the NHK" is a very good exception, dealing with a profound social phenomenon instead of telling a more or less fantastic story).

What I dislike is the overly frequent use of Hiragana writing, due to the fact that Kanji proficiency among the target audience is becoming a rarer thing every day (and such novels do not encourage Kanji study).
As a linguist, I do not mind that practice, because language, written or spoken, is always in transition, which is a good thing, but as a learner of Japanese I find reading such texts pretty difficult. Why? Because I have to know the word, the intended meaning, and if there's a Kanji, I can more easily guess and look up the meaning. Without the Kanji I'm more or less stranded. As a foreigner I find that using Kanji gives a text some optical structure, making it easier to read. Why can't these authors just leave the Kanjis in the text and use Furigana (Kana characters written next to/above a Kanji term to display how it's pronounced)? That would help everybody.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 3:04 pm 
Newcomer

So... did anyone see the anime already? How do you like it? :)