Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 11:12 pm


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Gojira's Gallery
PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 9:55 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Image
I've been working on my kaiju project for quite a while and I have been on and off about it, but now it's starting to take shape. The kaiju project is basically a manga I'm working on and it's gonna have, and you've guessed it, giant monsters. This fella here is my main monster Kentora. More details on Kentora and the rest of the project will be posted later on, but for now I'll give ya'll a glimpse of what's to come.

Here's an early sketch I did with Kentora fighting his nemesis Allophisto.

Another Kentora sketch, by the ever talented Dino Hunter 2.0.

Comments and constructive criticisms are welcomed.

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Last edited by Gojira on January 5th, 2010, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 1:00 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Really cool design! Although mating would be difficult... :twisted:

On a more serious note, I have only seen you drawing in profile (directly from the side). Do you prefer that style? It is probably the least dynamic pose you can make (other than maybe directly at the viewer). Other poses (3/4 turn, from below or above) are WAY more difficult and I certainly don't have the artistic chops to pull them off- let alone what you have already accomplished. However, I would encourage you to continue to experiment with different angles. I see great potential and I would love to see more. Good luck!

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 1:26 am 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
PunkDaddy wrote:
Really cool design! Although mating would be difficult... :twisted:

So that's why that do it, carefully. A lesson learned from the porcupine. :wink: :lol:

Anyway thanks! I always wanted to have my main kaiju to be a spinosaur because they're so unique among the carnivorous dinosaurs for having crocodile-like snouts, hook-like claws, and sails on their backs and mix it with a Kentrosaurs just to spice things up. And thus, Kentora has been born!... or hatched, however you wanna say it.

PunkDaddy wrote:
On a more serious note, I have only seen you drawing in profile (directly from the side). Do you prefer that style? It is probably the least dynamic pose you can make (other than maybe directly at the viewer). Other poses (3/4 turn, from below or above) are WAY more difficult and I certainly don't have the artistic chops to pull them off- let alone what you have already accomplished. However, I would encourage you to continue to experiment with different angles. I see great potential and I would love to see more. Good luck!

Well, it's just that I'm not sure how the results will turn out to be in the end and usually mess up a lot, so I kinda stick to a particular style just for safe measure. Plus I'm a self-taught artist, so that's why my style seems to be different from others. However, I will try to experiment with different angles and postures as you said and hopefully that will improve my drawing skills.

Thanks for the advice!

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 4:38 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Posts: 755
Already mentioned, but here it goes again. I'm seeing very flat conveniently perfect side on pictures. While they seem kinda fine as they are... before you even think of starting a manga, you better start thinking about drawing things in different angles. Start taking things in different angles, like the dino with its mouth open but at a 3/4 angle or something, so you don't just draw that one row of teeth, but all the bloody teeth in the mouth with the tongue slithering within and stuff like that. As far as I know, you aren't going to make a very nice looking manga with purely flat side on images. Its a problem you're going to have to tackle if you want to get remotely anywhere. And messing up is just another (often occurring)pothole on the road to improvement.

Another perspective related comment would relate to the first image. It feels like you've totally taped on the arms and legs on 'the other side'. Which would kinda mean you're just drawing things flat without looking too deeply into the whole 3 dimensional aspect. You're going to have to think about how things work even if they aren't visible. Guesstimating and just slapping it on doesn't quite cut it.

Theres show of talent and potential, but yeah, you need to work on techniques and things. And it especially sucks when it comes to things like these, resources for studying and drawing the musculature and proportions of giant dinosaurs aren't exactly common.

On a side note, I don't think its possible for anything 60 meters tall to weight 30,000 tonnes. I mean hell, a T-Rex is an estimated 7 tonnes or so, and its up to like 14m tall, and if you just do some division and stuff, it doesn't seem to quite add up. A modern MBT is like roughly 60 tonnes, and thats like 8m tall and 14m wide, and even so... well 30,000 tonnes. You might be overdoing it a little. But if Guardian Kaijus weigh that much, eh whatever, its up to you. Feel free to defend yourself here.

_________________
Image
http://depleted.wordpress.com/
The contents of a deranged mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 5:05 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
...And messing up is just another (often occurring)pothole on the road to improvement.


Boy is that the truth. You have to be a bit fearless. Besides, self-taught or not, if you want to get better, you have to try new things and draw, draw, draw. I'm content with my own miserable state of artistic ability, so I've moved on to marketing, producing and directing. Things that utilize my big fat mouth instead. :D

Try taking a look at webcomics like Sluggy Freelance or Questionable Content. The art starts out clumsy and after a year or so, it locks into a firm, defined style. They may not be everyone's favorite, but they are firmly within their own style.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Another perspective related comment would relate to the first image. It feels like you've totally taped on the arms and legs on 'the other side'. Which would kinda mean you're just drawing things flat without looking too deeply into the whole 3 dimensional aspect. You're going to have to think about how things work even if they aren't visible. Guesstimating and just slapping it on doesn't quite cut it.


A bit too harsh for my style, but a valid point. Most likely this relates to you desire to draw from perspective. You know what you are good at and try to stick to that. Perhaps taking a class in life-drawing would help? They'd make you focus on perspective, shading, etc.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Theres show of talent and potential, but yeah, you need to work on techniques and things. And it especially sucks when it comes to things like these, resources for studying and drawing the musculature and proportions of giant dinosaurs aren't exactly common.

True, but you probably extrapolate some sort of combination between lion or tigers and alligators. It seems like most reptiles don't really show a ton of musculature, but it won't be cool if it looks smooth and tubular like a snake- which is just one more case where appearances defy reality since a snake is a tube of muscle...

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
On a side note, I don't think its possible for anything 60 meters tall to weight 30,000 tonnes. I mean hell, a T-Rex is an estimated 7 tonnes or so, and its up to like 14m tall, and if you just do some division and stuff, it doesn't seem to quite add up. A modern MBT is like roughly 60 tonnes, and thats like 8m tall and 14m wide, and even so... well 30,000 tonnes. You might be overdoing it a little. But if Guardian Kaijus weigh that much, eh whatever, its up to you. Feel free to defend yourself here.


I didn't even see this. That's massive! If it ever tried to walk down a paved road, it'd leave these huge pockmarks because the asphalt (and quite a lot of normal surfaces) couldn't support it. Still, it's not like kaiju is the most realistic genre out there...

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 9:30 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Already mentioned, but here it goes again. I'm seeing very flat conveniently perfect side on pictures. While they seem kinda fine as they are... before you even think of starting a manga, you better start thinking about drawing things in different angles. Start taking things in different angles, like the dino with its mouth open but at a 3/4 angle or something, so you don't just draw that one row of teeth, but all the bloody teeth in the mouth with the tongue slithering within and stuff like that. As far as I know, you aren't going to make a very nice looking manga with purely flat side on images. Its a problem you're going to have to tackle if you want to get remotely anywhere. And messing up is just another (often occurring)pothole on the road to improvement.

Well, the thing is that he's firing his Plasma Beam and you'll hardly be able to see the other side of his mouth. Plus this is just a concept sketch and I made it flat so you'll see all the details of the creature. Just to give ya an idea what it's gonna look like. And on the side note, I might wanna make my project a light novel instead of manga, because I'm not sure if I want to put all that effort in making a manga just to be safe. I kinda change plans as I go along.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Another perspective related comment would relate to the first image. It feels like you've totally taped on the arms and legs on 'the other side'. Which would kinda mean you're just drawing things flat without looking too deeply into the whole 3 dimensional aspect. You're going to have to think about how things work even if they aren't visible. Guesstimating and just slapping it on doesn't quite cut it.

I know what you mean and I'll have to take that to account. Again the reasons I did this is just to show the details of the kaiju and the overall look of him.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Theres show of talent and potential, but yeah, you need to work on techniques and things. And it especially sucks when it comes to things like these, resources for studying and drawing the musculature and proportions of giant dinosaurs aren't exactly common.

Ain't that the truth. It's kinda hard to reconstruct an extinct animal from just it's fossilized remains. I usually get my references from various paleo-artists such as Gregory S. Paul, Todd Marshall, Luis V. Rey, Felipe A. Elias, Matt Frank (well he's more of a comic book artist but he's pretty good at paleo art) and Gabriel L Lio. I find their artwork to be very useful whenever I draw.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
On a side note, I don't think its possible for anything 60 meters tall to weight 30,000 tonnes. I mean hell, a T-Rex is an estimated 7 tonnes or so, and its up to like 14m tall, and if you just do some division and stuff, it doesn't seem to quite add up. A modern MBT is like roughly 60 tonnes, and thats like 8m tall and 14m wide, and even so... well 30,000 tonnes. You might be overdoing it a little. But if Guardian Kaiju weigh that much, eh whatever, its up to you. Feel free to defend yourself here.

Whenever I look at the stats of some of the Godzilla, Gamera,any movie/TV, and fan-made kaiju, they tend to be a bit too much so I'm just going with the flow.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Boy is that the truth. You have to be a bit fearless. Besides, self-taught or not, if you want to get better, you have to try new things and draw, draw, draw. I'm content with my own miserable state of artistic ability, so I've moved on to marketing, producing and directing. Things that utilize my big fat mouth instead. :D

I will continue to draw and hopefully improve, especially drawing people which I need to improve BIG TIME. I tend to be better at drawing creatures rather than people so I need to change that if I want to be a better artist.


Punk Daddy wrote:
A bit too harsh for my style, but a valid point. Most likely this relates to you desire to draw from perspective. You know what you are good at and try to stick to that. Perhaps taking a class in life-drawing would help? They'd make you focus on perspective, shading, etc.

I would love to take drawing classes, but every time I sign up for classes they're already filled up which is a real bummer.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
True, but you probably extrapolate some sort of combination between lion or tigers and alligators. It seems like most reptiles don't really show a ton of musculature, but it won't be cool if it looks smooth and tubular like a snake- which is just one more case where appearances defy reality since a snake is a tube of muscle...

I'll also take that into account. Plus, I'll incorporate more bird-like features since dinosaurs are more akin to birds than modern day reptiles.

Punk Daddy wrote:
I didn't even see this. That's massive! If it ever tried to walk down a paved road, it'd leave these huge pockmarks because the asphalt (and quite a lot of normal surfaces) couldn't support it. Still, it's not like kaiju is the most realistic genre out there...

Again, I just go with the flow since most kaiju stats are outrageous, but the Japanese know what they're doing I guess. It's no different from most genres like most sci-fi movies and anime, and especially the mecha genre.

Thanks for the comments and advice, Punk Daddy and Storm_Shinobi! Now I feel more motivated to go on with my project. Stay tuned for there's more to come!

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 8th, 2008, 7:08 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Gojira wrote:
Thanks for the comments and advice, Punk Daddy and Storm_Shinobi! Now I feel more motivated to go on with my project. Stay tuned for there's more to come!


I look forward to it! 8)

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 11:39 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Yeah, cool, as a simple forum member I approve of your artistic work.
But as a linguist I find something that I should mention (and I hope your browser displays my elaboration):
Your Katakana writing is short of a short line, so to speak.

You wrote クントラ.
But that reads "Kuntora".

Judging from your transcription underneath, what you meant to write is ケントラ (Kentora).
Behold the important difference:

(ku) versus (ke).
Extend the horizontal line and everything's fine. 8)

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 11:29 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
42317 wrote:
Yeah, cool, as a simple forum member I approve of your artistic work.
But as a linguist I find something that I should mention (and I hope your browser displays my elaboration):
Your Katakana writing is short of a short line, so to speak.

You wrote クントラ.
But that reads "Kuntora".

Judging from your transcription underneath, what you meant to write is ケントラ (Kentora).
Behold the important difference:

(ku) versus (ke).
Extend the horizontal line and everything's fine. 8)

:doh: I didn't realize that until now. :oops:
I have a Japanese grammar and vocabulary chart, so I can remember the writing system, sentences, etc. I happened to get the letters confused at times. Thanks for pointing that out, 42317 and yes my browser displays your elaboration and it's awesome.

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 26th, 2008, 8:49 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I haven't got to my Kaiju Project for quite sometime, but at least I have my main ideas with me, so it's fine for the moment. I have a drawing, though not related to my project, that I would like to share with all of you. Check out Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent and the Aztec god of rain and water.
Image
So what do you think of it?

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 12:11 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: February 6th, 2008, 12:40 am
Posts: 646
Location: Illinois
Wicked picture Gojira!! Looking forward to others..especially if they involve dragons.

_________________
My ANN List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 12:52 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Sweet! Really nice drawing. Before I critique, let me just point out that this is well beyond what I can do. :clap:

OK, let me switch to my producer's hat. Very nice detail work and your anatomy looks pretty good. I would suggest considering the following as areas of improvement:

-Shadows: Adding a light source can add depth and weight to your drawing. The way the snake is coiled, there should be some shadow across it's own body unless it is already the lightsouce. You could also add highlights, which are blank areas of white showing the striking of the light on the form.
-Wing joint anatomy: The feathers on the back look fine, but where the wings attach, it looks a bit glued on. Perhaps examine the musculature and anatomy of a bat (since the wings will attach to a featherless body) for the structure and then add feathers after the shoulder joints?

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 8:02 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
Wicked picture Gojira!! Looking forward to others..especially if they involve dragons.

Thanks! I'll have some drawings that involve with dragons sometime soon. :wink:

PunkDaddy wrote:
Sweet! Really nice drawing. Before I critique, let me just point out that this is well beyond what I can do. :clap:

Why thank ya very much! :D

PunkDaddy wrote:
OK, let me switch to my producer's hat. Very nice detail work and your anatomy looks pretty good. I would suggest considering the following as areas of improvement:

-Shadows: Adding a light source can add depth and weight to your drawing. The way the snake is coiled, there should be some shadow across it's own body unless it is already the light source. You could also add highlights, which are blank areas of white showing the striking of the light on the form.

Shading has been my Achilles' heel whenever I draw. The reasons I don't shade that much is because I don't want to overdo it too much or else my picture goes awry and where to put shading at since I'm not certain which areas need to be shaded and areas that don't. I guess I'll have to practice on shading then and hopefully master it.

PunkDaddy wrote:
-Wing joint anatomy: The feathers on the back look fine, but where the wings attach, it looks a bit glued on. Perhaps examine the musculature and anatomy of a bat (since the wings will attach to a featherless body) for the structure and then add feathers after the shoulder joints?

I was looking at several pictures that I searched on Google Images and use them as references, just to get an idea on what works and what doesn't. Quetzalcoatl is the Feathered Serpent and being feathered, it would make more sense giving him bird wings instead of bat wings. Bat wings would give him a menacing impression rather than celestial. I can draw bat and pterosaur wings fine, but I need to work on bird wings some more.

Thanks for the criticism as it has been very helpful to me, if I want to become a better artist. More artwork will be added in the future, so stay tuned!

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 2:15 am 
Offline
Lurker

Joined: December 29th, 2008, 2:46 am
Posts: 71
Location: Houston TX,
Nice monsters very creative, really like the snake one. :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gojira's Gallery and Kaiju Project.
PostPosted: December 30th, 2008, 3:23 am 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Ck wrote:
Nice monsters very creative, really like the snake one. :D

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

Speaking of monsters, I haven't been working on my Kaiju Project. Well, actually I have, well... a little bit. I'll hop to it tomorrow and several new kaiju will be up soon along with some of the main human characters I have in mind, but I haven't drawn yet. :p

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group