Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Novel suggestions
PostPosted: November 15th, 2007, 7:45 pm 
Regular

I noticed that there is no thread for regular novels in this section, so I was just wondering if you've read any books that you would reccomend? Just provide the title, the genre, and a brief description, followed by the reason you liked it.

The Devil You Know
by Mike Carey

Genre: science fiction/fantasy

synopsis: Felix Castor is an exorcist who stopped performing his trade after botching the exorcising of a demon. However, with a house payment due at the end of the month, Castor has to take up a simple exorcising gig in an archive. But as he gets closer to the ghost, he stumbles upon something much more dark and macabre. Now, armed with only a tin whistle and his wits (and a little help from a paranoid zombie), Castor must survive thugs, were-creatures, and a succubus to learn the truth behind the archive's ghost.

What I liked about this novel was that it uses the "private-eye" genre to a t and mixes it with a new invisioning of the supernatural to make something that's familiar, but very original at the same time. It's a very enthralling read, and all the characters, even the bit characters, are oozing with personality. Plus, he uses a tin whistle to exorcise ghosts and has a zombie for an informant...that's awesome! The only thing I did'nt like was the fact that it took so long for the book to hit the states, hopefully, the other books in the series will be brought over.

Dr. Insane-o

Last edited by Cab329 on November 15th, 2007, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2007, 10:25 pm 
Major Contributor

Isn't there a thread for Harry Potter? Wait, that's in General Discussion...just saying it would have been okay for that thread to have been here in manga/novels as well as over there.

I've got nothing at the moment, I'm just liking the idea of a "Novel suggestions" thread. I think there's been one for manga, anime, and hentai as well I think. Why not normal novels as well as manga?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2007, 10:30 pm 
Regular

Thank you!

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 17th, 2007, 4:05 pm 
Resident Scholar

I like this idea, too, but this thread is probably of no big use for me since most books I read are biographies and other history stuff.

Post subject: Re: Novel suggestions
PostPosted: May 19th, 2008, 12:12 pm 

The Stand by Stephen King. Excellent book from beginning to end. This is one of those books where the plot is so interesting and the characters just shine.

Try to read the old version because I have heard there are errors and typos in the newer version that have not been corrected. Plus the older version is what Stephen King wrote the first time. The newer edition just puts the story more in present day with little changes in the setting.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2008, 5:01 pm 
Resident Scholar

Stephen King's works have always left me with a shallow taste in my mouth, and I felt sickened.
I gave it more than one try, though... "Carrie" was okay, "It" was, well, kinda sickening, but still okay, and "Needful Things" was boring after a while, so I stopped there, despite the King hype around me...
A friend talked me into watching "The Stand" together. Well, nice movie, but nothing I'd need on my shelf.
Okay, now you're gonna say "Forget the movie! Read the book!" but I refrain. I don't like that man's style.

Well, since I'm at it I could refer to the few novels that I do read...
I prefer Eric van Lustbader (as long as it's not one of his fantasy novels). He writes exciting action thrillers located in Eastern Asia with very interesting story lines, running parallel and in different eras, which will then combine to a conclusion. I think there's no single author that shaped my style and my idea of a good story development more than he did. What I find compelling is that his descriptions of Japanese people, culture and history don't bother me with clichées, like so many other media products do, despite a few vocabulary glitches that I noticed - like the sentence: "This is a poison called doku (...)." I was like "Oh, come on..." because "doku" is the Japanese word for poison in general.

Works like "Jian" and "The Ninja" are awesome books that I have read more than once.
"The Ninja" was made a series of novels about Nicholas Linnear, a British-Japanese halfbreed who was trained to be a Ninja, about his enemies from the past and present, and how he shapes his future. There are hints at ki powers and supernatural things, but, luckily, such topics remain marginal. The overall tone is rather realistic. The Ninjas don't control any of the elements and they don't jump up 20-foot walls just like that...

A funny thing about "Jian" - the issue I own, that is - is that it has a commercial intermission in the middle, just like in a cinema. You know, when the lights go on and the ice cream vendors come in. So in the middle, there is a page with an instant soup ad, saying something like "Why don't you allow yourself what our hero cannot right now? Take a five-minute break and relax with Maggi instant beef-noodle soup!" :lol:
I have never encountered something like that in a book before and afterwards. It was a pure coicidence that I stumbled over Lustbader. My mother had found a box of books that her boss was about to throw away, so she took the box home and gave it to me. "Jian" really sparked my interest.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2008, 1:15 pm 

Vampire Hunter D- The translation for the first English novel is pretty well written. The futuristic-dark-ages-of-vampires setting is interesting and I enjoyed the fun story. I've only read the first one, but I'll look for the second one soon.

Gundam- The novelization of the original Gundam was fun to read and educational for me. I finally saw a glimpse of what makes Gundam so popular. The CHARACTERS. (I'm just not a Giant Robot guy...)

Hmm. There are too many non-anime novels and authors for me to be able to start recommending them. Besides, that would probably make this a general discussion thread rather than manga (ie: more Japanese) oriented thread.

I'd love to read the Read or Die novels, Saiunkoku, Kyo Kara Maoh and Shana. The anime are so fun, it makes me want to read the source materials and follow-ups.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: June 25th, 2008, 8:29 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Here's a little suggestion from yours truly...

Raptor Red
by Robert T. Bakker

Genre: Fiction (Sci-fi perhaps)

Synopsis: About 120 million years ago in the plains of prehistoric Utah, there lived a female Utahraptor named Raptor Red. The story focuses on Raptor Red's quest to find a new mate, hunt for prey, raise her chicks, avoid predators, and dealing with her sister's violently bad temper. It's a dinosaur novel told from the dino's point of view.

I absolutely loved this book. Robert T. Bakker (author of Dinosaur Heresies) has written not only a fantastic fiction novel, but a hypothesis on how dinosaurs probably behaved in their environment; even though dinosaur behavior is still debated today. I like the fact that the story is being told from the dinosaur's point of view because it's a unique way to see an environment with different senses that humans don't use. The main character is not anthropomorphic, such as the rabbits in Watership Down, yet is very third dimensional in a basic way. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 12:32 pm 

You should read the series of Wilt by Tom Sharpe, if you have a taste for farces.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 1:31 am 

I just finished Neil Stephenson's Cryptonomicron. :shock: :shock: :bow:
Well written, amazingly constructed and FUN. :clap:

It's a bit hard core geeky in some spots, but that probably contributed to my enjoyment. :)

Anyone else ready Stephenson? I'm trying to decide between Snow Crash and Diamond Age as my next book...

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 12:28 am 

I am currently reading "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman. It's a fantasy genre if anyone has seen the Golden Compass thats the book the movie is based off of. His Dark Materials is all 3 books in one "The Golden Compass", "The Subtle Knife" and the "Amber Spyglass". I am huge into fantasy and have read all the Harry Potter books. Anyway i'm only on the first portion of the book The Golden Compass which is about a girl Lyra who owns an alethiometer (truth reader), theres this evil group who are kidnapping children and they are called Gobblers. Lyra is travelling with Gypsies in order to save the children. The best part about it is all humans have a deamon which is basically their soul. Deamons take different shapes and forms when they are children and Pan is the name of Lyra's deamon he's pretty awsome. Good book..very long.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2008, 1:07 pm 

I Am Legend. After falling in love with the movie, I decided to read the novel.

The novel is completely different from the book in the sense that it takes place in the late 1970s and the infected are really vampires. They are scared of sunlight, fear of religious items, and the whole blood thing. I recommend to those who liked the movie or just wanted to read a wonderful classic novel.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 12:09 pm 

1984 by George Orwell. I wonderful book about the future of government if we the people stand by and do nothing. Another classic I would recommend to pretty much anyone.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 3:12 pm 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
1984 by George Orwell.

Yes, a wonderfully frightening work that will not lose its topicality as long as democracy as a system of social order has not been perfected. Like the propaganda of the enemy from outside, keeping people live in fear, thus making them easier to control. Tell your people they were under attack and they will rally around the flag.

zero_chaos wrote:
a wonderful book about the future of government if we the people stand by and do nothing.

Do you see something else happen?
“Let the people think they govern, and they will be governed.“ (William Penn)

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 5:31 pm 

42317 wrote:
zero_chaos wrote:
a wonderful book about the future of government if we the people stand by and do nothing.

Do you see something else happen?
“Let the people think they govern, and they will be governed.“ (William Penn)

Well, the people in 1984 were being totally controlled by their government...so I assume before they were totally controlled they had a chance to stand up and challenge them.

Take the US bank problem right now...the government bails them out, so before long the government will most likely be in total control of the banks...before long many other things will be under their control...

Just my two cents.