Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phantom The Animation
PostPosted: August 14th, 2008, 6:54 am 
Post Master

Here's the review I wrote for Phantom The Animation. I didn't actually write it as a script, so it's not like a video is required. I decided to post this to show you guys what I actually plan on doing with my reviews. Some things I will add the video review would be showing off the cover art, the booklets or slip, the extras, and whatever else might be interesting about the R1 release.

Synopsis:
Reiji Azuma has just been accepted into college, and to celebrate, he decides to travel to Los Angeles. While walking among the streets of Los Angeles, Reiji witnesses an assassination and beholds the face of the attacker. He runs away only to end up in a conflict with the assassin, and Reiji gets put to sleep. When he wakes up, he finds that he cannot remember anything from his past, and is left with the decision to either die or become an assassin himself. He inevitably chooses to become an assassin alongside the very same assassin he saw before, otherwise known as the Phantom. The story follows Reiji Azuma's trials as an assassin.

Story&characters:
I thought the story was told quite well, and the pacing is consistently moving forward in a nice fashion. Unfortunately some of the conclusions made are completely outrageous, in such a way that will make you feel betrayed. I thought the story could have been more developed, since many story aspects leave plot holes and unanswered questions. I don't blame them since they had to stick within a time frame shorter than a standard movie, and answering said questions wouldn't leave much time for the character development. Which brings me to my next topic.

The depth of the characters in Phantom vary. Since this is a short OVA series, only the main characters are really developed and interesting. All the side characters are completely stock, and you wouldn't even care if they died in a horrible accident, since not a single one shows any meaningful emotion.
4/10

Visuals:
I found the animation in this OVA to be very lacking, especially in the later episode, but I wasn't expecting miracles given this is a low-tier anime. I noticed some animation shortcuts, like how they used the typical "shaking camera" during the less-active action scenes and panning static images to create the illusion of movement. In the later episode the animation gets really jerky and slow, and I was wondering if they had some sort of budget problem since the overall technical aspects degraded. I especially loved a scene near the end, which was so pathetic that it actually made me laugh. The character designs aren't very interesting, as most character designs either look plain or look horrendous. I didn't have any problems with the backgrounds, while they aren't the most detailed and perfect you'd ever see, they get the job done.

To my surprise, the DVD itself looks fine, and even exceeded my expectations. The lines are sharper than expected, and I didn't notice any interlacing blocks in the animation like I have seen in others. I noticed a small amount of grain, but it's only really noticeable in dark scenes or when you are specifically looking for grain.
4/10

Sound and dub:
I found the music aspect of the series to be very fitting for each scene. I often found myself impressed by the quality, since mostly everything else isn't up to par. The opening and ending themes were especially good, and are very soothing and fitting for this series. The English dub in Phantom is decent, but sometimes dips into mediocre territory. It is worth mentioning that the English dub does not follow the subtitle track very much in terms of translation. Some awkward voice acting pops up every once in a while, but if you prefer dubs, I don't think you'll have a problem going through it with the dub track on.
7/10

Subtitle quality:
I never got around to doing this.

Summary:
Overall, if you don't mind a rather short and simplistic series, and are able to forgive some periodical technical issues, you may find Phantom to your liking.

Overall rating:
5/10

Comments, criticism and bitching are all appreciated.

Last edited by Mmsven on August 14th, 2008, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Phantom The Animation
PostPosted: August 14th, 2008, 6:34 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
While walking among the streets of Los Angeles, Reiji witnesses an assassination and saw the attacker.

"He saw the attacker" - while describing how the whole thing starts off this is the only verb that you give in past tense. Everything else is in present tense, therefore it sounds a bit odd.
The rest is fine in my opinion. I'm impressed how decent your writing skills can be, given a little effort. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 14th, 2008, 7:35 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
"He saw the attacker" - while describing how the whole thing starts off this is the only verb that you give in past tense. Everything else is in present tense, therefore it sounds a bit odd.

I couldn't think of a better way to say it until now. I changed it to "Reiji witnesses an assassination and beholds the face of the attacker".

42317 wrote:
The rest is fine in my opinion. I'm impressed how decent your writing skills can be, given a little effort. :mrgreen:

Aside from all the swearing, I don't think the writing I put into my posts is THAT bad. Although, if the review was a normal post, it would be summarized as "The technical aspects suck harder than my dick gets when I stroke it to my massive collection of hentai pictures"

PostPosted: August 14th, 2008, 10:44 pm 
Regular

Mmsven wrote:
"The technical aspects suck harder than my dick gets when I stroke it to my massive collection of hentai pictures"

TMI

(too much information)

PostPosted: August 14th, 2008, 11:01 pm 
Post Master

dbd_addict wrote:
TMI

(too much information)

Whenever I say something like that, it's best not to be taken seriously.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2008, 11:10 pm 
Regular

ah!
so your dick does not get hard when you stroke it to your massive collection of hentai pictures...
or do you mean you do not have a massive collection of hentai pictures...
or you do not stroke it to your massive collection of hentai pictures...

so many scenarios when not taken seriously!

PostPosted: August 15th, 2008, 6:44 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
Aside from all the swearing, I don't think the writing I put into my posts is THAT bad. Although, if the review was a normal post, it would be summarized as "The technical aspects suck harder than my dick gets when I stroke it to my massive collection of hentai pictures"

... and that's what I meant. :lol:

PostPosted: August 15th, 2008, 10:33 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
dbd_addict wrote:
TMI

(too much information)

Whenever I say something like that, it's best not to be taken seriously.

Its far more hilarious to take it seriously.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 7:19 am 
Post Master

It looks as if this anime is being remade by Bee Train. It will probably suck just as much though. The original was sort of in their style, so I'm assuming Bee Train will just take Noir and put Phantom's characters in it, as usual.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 9:51 pm 

I would say that the overall delivery of your review is pretty good. When it comes to picking out any show to watch I look at the plot, but reviews are always helpful. I would say by your review though given 5 out of 10 I would probably try to rent it before buying.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 2:59 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mmsven wrote:
It looks as if this anime is being remade by Bee Train. It will probably suck just as much though. The original was sort of in their style, so I'm assuming Bee Train will just take Noir and put Phantom's characters in it, as usual.

I was really surprised when I heard they were making this into a series. I mean, I don't really know how popular the game is over there, but they already had an OVA so my eyes sort of bulged when I saw Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ (nice name :mrgreen:)

I may check it out (have already downloaded the first two episodes). I didn't find the OVA too objectionable, wasn't that good but had a certain flair to it. If they try to stretch that out into 13 or 26 episodes it isn't going to be pretty though. So far the reviews for it have been much better than I would have expected, so maybe Bee Train isn't totally screwing the pooch on this one.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 8:32 am 
Newcomer

The Phantom TV counter part is actually pretty good. The beginning was slow as in the visual novel, but after that the series has been very interesting. I have played through the visual novel, which was released and censored by Hirameki in English market. Too bad, Hirameki is no more. I have to say the TV-version has been very loyal to the game and I am hoping the ending will be played out as well as in the game.

Considering I have seen two different covers of Phantom of Inferno, I think the game has also been rather popular even in the USA (or especially in the USA).