Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you identify anime with a part of your life?
PostPosted: July 10th, 2008, 10:00 pm 

Well, I guess this question might sound a bit nerdish, but at least here in Spain, popular anime is bound to a part of our past. The oldies remember Marco and Heidi, the not so oldies remember Mazinger Z and Dragon Ball, newer generations were trapped by Pokémon and Naruto... but I guess we have watched more anime (or read more manga) than the usual watcher. So there goes the question: which manga/anime has truly marked you?

In my case, I watched DBZ, Heidi and Marco when I was a child. But what I remember most clearly is the season of Slayers which was released a long time ago, which was called "Reena y Gaudi" in Spain, and counted with the group of Gaudi, Zelgadis, Amelia and the rest ofthe bunch alongside Reena.

Afterwards, short before I started collecting manga, I watched the first truly goreish series I've watched, called "Onikirimaru" (Ogre Slayer), telling about some half-human, half-ogre guy, who wanted to wipe out all ogres of the world. The series was just a festival of blood, violence and nudity, maybe unadapted for a 12-year-old girl, but truly impacting as well. At those times I mistakenly watched my first hentai sequences: I saw some tentacles penetrating a girl, I puked, and I guessed that wasn't made for me :P

And then, at the same time I began collecting manga (Love Hina), I watched two radically different series which marked me more than a bit: Excel Saga and Noir. The first one left me a passion for the series which has only recently been calmed down by reading a decent scanslation (the official translation I bought was THE LAMEST edition one could ever dream of), and seeing it is unded. Noir left me a taste for the Bee Train studio, who tend to do nice things with anime such as Madlax and .Hack//Sign.

When I was 16, i got glued to Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. Regrettably, I couldn't watch both series, so I had to leave Cowboy Bebop aside. Outlaw Star is the prototype of anime which is totally unoriginal but totally well done, something which is much harder than one could think.

After a while without watching remarkable anime, i got glued to an American series called "La Casa de los Dibujos" (in English, "Drawn apart"), a crazy cartoon by the Latin American MTV which made me roll in the floor laughing.

And lately, I have this anime frenzy which made me even start a blog about it. Main culprit: Detective Conan , a series I've always liked and which I finally found complete somewhere over the rainbow... ^^

If you read all of this, here is your Easter Egg. It's a Spanish rap song talking about Dragon Ball, the first and only series which has been dubbed in all the official languages present in Spain (Spanish, Basque, Catalan and Galician)
Warning: you won't understand the lyrics. That for sure.

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRxXylU0nA

Post subject: Re: Do you identify anime with a part of your life?
PostPosted: July 10th, 2008, 11:20 pm 

I identify anime as a part of my life i have been watching it since i was a kid (at the time though i didn't know it was called anime). I started with Sailor Moon when i was a girl and grew up with Sailor moon as well as Cowboy Bebop. I saw Fatal Fury and Armitage one night on Sci-fi and I had no idea what they even were until i saw them at a local video store on VHS. Eventually i started collecting Magic Knight Rayearth and i saved up every bit of my allowance for 1 VHS tape every 2 weeks. So yes i do identify anime as a part of my life my mom doesn't understand why i enjoy it so much but she doesn't have to.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2008, 5:30 am 
Regular

i am not sure if i am following the question properly, but yes! i sure do!

i watched cartoons like all kids. the first "anime" i was exposed to would be the english dubbed astroboy, one of my favourites along with the usual stuff at that time(donald duck and those chipmunks, spiderman, and hercules)

then i grew up and highschool and stuff...

when i was older a friend showed me akira. blah! i could hardly stay awake. i fell asleep i am sure. i cannot remember how many tries it took me to finish it.

years pass again and university and stuff...

i was really interested in 3d animation. i even wanted to become a 3d animator, acquiring 3dstudio and making my own pathetic animations... haha

i stray and become an industrial designer. start working. then the other designer at the office lent me ninja scroll. i was impressed, though i was still not that interested in anime. he seemed to be into anime especially mecha like robotech. i did not care about that so our shared interest at the time were only movies and making movies. oh yeah! he raved over ghost in the shell and lent me that too... boy, did that movie turn me off of anime.

then i bought a front projector and became addicted to collecting dvds. i went a little crazy... the same friend who introduced me to anime years ago with akira also was into cars like myself. he would always have these japanese car dvds with split screens showing the shifter, pedals, and onboard cameras. then i noticed he had a car cartoon! he said i would like it, plus my car was in it! so he lent me... initial-d! even with the crappy animation mixed with stiff 3d animation i was hooked! i watched those dvds non-stop till the wee hours of the morning.

i bought a whole bunch of boxsets and my dvd addiction led into anime. i think i watched love hina, eva, slayers, el hazard, photon, tenchi... it was all a blur. though i do remember being sad that i could only buy a couple love hina dvds since it was new at the time. unfinished. my first exposure to having to wait for series. :(

PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 12:50 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
which manga/anime has truly marked you?

I'm having problems with vocabulary here.
Marked = influenced?

I guess I was influenced somehow by "Akira" because it started the whole thing, and "Project A-Ko", because it kept the fire burning. Before I knew it was Anime, I saw, of course, "Heidi", and later "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs", but that was just a fun thing before "SailorMoon" rebuilt my whole personality and completely changed my views of the world, and that is the series that left the greatest footprint inside me.

Bloodfairy wrote:
I watched DBZ, Heidi and Marco when I was a child.

How old are you now? Because DBZ didn't come up in Germany before I was 24, in late 2001.
But Spain and especially France and Italy had much more of an Anime history then. Hell, in 1999 I was in Rome and saw a bulletin board that advertised a "Captain Harlock Disco" on the weekend and I was just glad that I knew what they were talking about. But after SailorMoon in 1997 came Pokemon in 1999, Digimon in 2000, and DragonBall in 2001, and since then we get flooded with Anime.

Bloodfairy wrote:
"Reena y Gaudi" in Spain

Is "Gaudi" a Spanish-ish name? Cuz in Italy they called him "Guido", a perfectly Italian name.
Btw, "Gaudi" is (also) a southern German word, mostly used in Bavaria, which means "entertainment", "fun", "party".

Bloodfairy wrote:
I saw some tentacles penetrating a girl, I puked, and I guessed that wasn't made for me

:D :lol: :mrgreen: :lol2:

Bloodfairy wrote:
When I was 16, i got glued to Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. Regrettably, I couldn't watch both series, so I had to leave Cowboy Bebop aside.

You abandoned "Cowboy Bebop" for "Outlaw Star"?!?
*gasp*
The blasphemy!
:lol:

Bloodfairy wrote:
"La Casa de los Dibujos" (in English, "Drawn apart")

Does that remind me of "Drawn together" somehow or did you recall the title in a wrong way?

dbd_addict wrote:
(...) a friend showed me akira. blah! i could hardly stay awake.
(...) he raved over ghost in the shell and lent me that too... boy, did that movie turn me off of anime.
(...) he said i would like it, plus my car was in it! so he lent me... initial-d! (...) i was hooked!

It is interesting to note that the deep-topic stuff did not please you, because I like philosophical stories and mind teasers (as long as it's not overburdened like "Innocence").
But I agree that "Initial D" is a nice Anime. Although being ignorant of car features in general I'm a fan of "Gran Tourismo", which got me interested in "Initial D". I borrowed the DVDs from a friend, watching it these days, one to three episodes per week or so. When I'm done I'm gonna write something about it.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 3:35 pm 

42317 wrote:
Bloodfairy wrote:
which manga/anime has truly marked you?

I'm having problems with vocabulary here.
Marked = influenced?
Yup. That is my fault. That was too "Spanishly" expressed :P

Bloodfairy wrote:
I watched DBZ, Heidi and Marco when I was a child.

How old are you now? Because DBZ didn't come up in Germany before I was 24, in late 2001.
But Spain and especially France and Italy had much more of an Anime history then. Hell, in 1999 I was in Rome and saw a bulletin board that advertised a "Captain Harlock Disco" on the weekend and I was just glad that I knew what they were talking about. But after SailorMoon in 1997 came Pokemon in 1999, Digimon in 2000, and DragonBall in 2001, and since then we get flooded with Anime.
I'm going to be 20 years old. I recall watching DB from 1994 at least :P Aside of that, I recall watching Sailor Moon, Lupin III (I didn't like it at that time, though), Captain Tsubasa (called "Oliver y Benji" in Spain, those were a big success too) and some minor pieces I can't recall.
Bloodfairy wrote:
"Reena y Gaudi" in Spain

Is "Gaudi" a Spanish-ish name? Cuz in Italy they called him "Guido", a perfectly Italian name.
Btw, "Gaudi" is (also) a southern German word, mostly used in Bavaria, which means "entertainment", "fun", "party".
I guess the Gaudi thing comes from our famous Catalan architect, this Antoni Gaudí guy. Beats me. Nevertheless, the Manga versions I've read in Spanish call the characters Lina and Gourry.

Bloodfairy wrote:
When I was 16, i got glued to Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. Regrettably, I couldn't watch both series, so I had to leave Cowboy Bebop aside.

You abandoned "Cowboy Bebop" for "Outlaw Star"?!?
*gasp*
The blasphemy!
:lol:
Oh, come, it was that Cowboy Bebop did end at 2 AM and was more complicated to follow... I'll watch it properly in its time :P
Bloodfairy wrote:
"La Casa de los Dibujos" (in English, "Drawn apart")

Does that remind me of "Drawn together" somehow or did you recall the title in a wrong way?
Second thing. My memory's a bit loosey :P

PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 3:29 am 
Regular

42317 wrote:
It is interesting to note that the deep-topic stuff did not please you, because I like philosophical stories and mind teasers (as long as it's not overburdened like "Innocence").

i am not going to lie, i am not into thinking too much when it comes to entertainment... perhaps if i re-visited those 2 films now i would enjoy them more for what they are. back then when i watched akira i think i was into typical action flicks with the most philosophy coming from the likes of terminator 2. haha! and for GITS it would be the matrix, i guess, that was around that time. so ya, not much in the philosophy department. i would most likely blame hype and thinking back then that anime was all about action... hence my disappointment and boredom.

a decade later i did thoroughly enjoy stand alone complex 1 & 2.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 3:08 pm 
Newcomer

Well ive been watching anime for many many years. Personally I set aside time after work to download, buy, and watch anime for at least 30 mins a day. I like to stay current and informed about new series so I would say anime is a part of my life.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 9:22 pm 

Bloodfairy wrote:
Haha, that was a cool video. They practically covered the whole DBZ and DBGT story there.
Perdonen, Kamehameha
Después del tema del Tetris
Viene el Dragon Ball Rap

That cracked me up.

Oh yes, anime was a big part of my life, sadly I don't find the time to watch anime anymore.

Back then when I was a kid I watched a lot of series, without knowing they were Japanese animation. Most of my friends would agree with me on this, the most influential series were definitely Captain Tsubasa (Supercampeones or "Oliver y Benji", that's how they call it Spanish), Saint Seiya (Caballeros del Zodiaco), and Dragon Ball (the first series, when Bulma was still young and Master Rochi was the strongest character). Those three made my afternoons after school, and also Saturday mornings, and I still love them. However I hated Dragon Ball Z and even more DBGT. Can't forget about Candy Candy and Little Women, those two I followed like a soap operas. Oh the good times. I remember a few other series vaguely, such as Angel ( she was seeking the seven-colored flower or something like that), and also Heidi, but I didn't really like the latter, it was too sad for my taste.

Quite a few years later, during High School, a friend introduced me to anime, he lent me his Evangelion Boxset, I still remember the first dvd cover I saw was Misato's and then Rei's. It made a huge impression on me. It was tragic and psychological.
Along with Evangelion I was also given some Hentai series. Did not enjoyed watching all those tentacles.

Soon after that I bought a Trigun boxset. I was very impressed with the story and the not so ordinary characters. It was around that time I joined the forums here, hence my nickname here at the board: "wolfwood". After that I started watching anime like there was no tomorrow. Another one that I really loved and still love is Noir -looks at his Noir boxset- :lol2: Funny how most people here always said they hated the series.
I followed with some great classics, such as The vision of Escaflowne, Castle of Cagliostro, and Hunter x Hunter.

The same friend that got me into anime, got me to write reviews for his new website (he made some really cool layouts), I wrote about 60 or so, and after a couple of years when we did not have any interest on continuing the website, we took it down.

Ah, and then it came Monster, which was probably the turn point for me. After watching that my expectations were now higher, and I started watching less and less anime series, but started reading manga.
My anime count is not as high as everyone here, but I'm pretty sure that I've watch most of the series that I was personally interested in.
So, that's pretty much it. :)

PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 9:56 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:

Spanish is for tourists who like Sangria and Ballermann. :lol:

wolfwood wrote:
Can't forget about Candy Candy and Little Women, those two I followed like a soap operas.

Candy Candy was too much for my tastes, it's so melodramatic I could puke.
But I have "Little Women" (= "Wakakusa Monogatari", "A Story of Fresh Grass") on DVD. I saw it while in hospital in 1998 and I was surprised about myself, getting stuck to it so quickly.