Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Naruto
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 10:34 pm 

randomuser83 wrote:
I am serious. Have you even watched it or read the manga? Im not going to bother if you dont care enough to check out good anime.

What's good anime?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 12:18 am 

Honestly Bloodfairy i always thought "good" anime was a matter of opinion. For example some people might think Neon Genesis Evangelion is a good anime; however, i think it's depressing and i dislike it. Bad and good anime is just strictly a matter of opinion. For me a good anime is Ranma 1/2, Full Metal Panic, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Cowboy Bebop just to name a few.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 5:28 am 

I mean, it's easy to find consensus about bad anime... Just take a spoonful of poor technique, 500 g of lame plot and fry it with an oil made with unsympathetic characters, plus a little bit of bad voice acting, and you got it cooked. Nevertheless, good anime is harder to find. Mainly, because the general feeling you have about an anime can be totally different from the view you have of its parts.

I'd take Outlaw Star as an example of such a thing: analyzed individually, the plot is unoriginal and each of its steps is expectable, the characters are stereotyped, the graphic quality wasn't that great deal and the music/SFX weren't impressive. Yet it is a good anime for me, since all of those elements are synthesized into a system whose quality is way higher than the quality of its subsystems (Theory of Systems :P) and it glued me to the screen.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 3:41 pm 
Resident Scholar

Well, I do think that Naruto has interesting story elements... *takes cover*... like how the main character taps a questionable power source to improve his performance when he thinks it's necessary, versus the other guy who is completely human, driving his body to the limit, but being restricted to the humanly feasible.
The bad thing about Naruto is how long beyond all hope it is. 26 episodes of the most important developments would have done it. Okay, let's say 52 episodes, but anything longer is a waste of time - in most cases.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 10:18 pm 

Hm, the core of Naruto's story can be summed up in sort of 40 episodes, indeed. But there is an incredible lot of characters which take relevance in that voyage. And I believe that's what would make Naruto (and Bleach, which is becoming blatantly similar somehow) something memorable. Characters which seem human. It's not easy to find them around anime, yet Naruto has some of them.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 2:36 am 
Major Contributor

I would say that Shippuden has done a better job so far with the filler episodes than the previous pre-time skip Naruto fillers have ever done (those put me to sleep). To the point where I'm actually looking forward to watching episode 67 of Shippuden despite the fact that it's a bloody filler. However, the actually plot episodes just go by way too slowly. I remember the "golden" years of Naruto. I remember re-watching episodes 1 to 120 or so in a couple of days (an epic marathon that was, second only to my 200+ episode One Piece marathon). But you have to give the show credit for staying popular enough that it can continue to pump out fillers week by week (at one point for almost two years) and still remain on the air (if only this had happened with Kenshin).

Anyway, while I definitely enjoy the manga more these days, I have to say that B&W pages have their limits while the Naruto anime series has plenty of flaws it's still pretty entertaining to watch, though probably more so if you haven't read the manga (and excluding the filler season after episode 147).

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 2:43 am 

Thats what I noticed about Shippuden too...even though it's fillers it does show you a different point of view of things...like right now it's showing more background on the monk and umm...forgot name...well Shikamaru's sensei....

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 2:53 am 
Major Contributor

Fresnokila wrote:
Thats what I noticed about Shippuden too...even though it's fillers it does show you a different point of view of things...like right now it's showing more background on the monk and umm...forgot name...well Shikamaru's sensei....

Though I have to think that the focus on Asuma's past has to do with his upcoming death will come in the next arc after the fillers end.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 11:00 pm 

Ha yeah...they're giving him some spotlight to than finish him off later on...still at least it's not some random fillers....

PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 9:48 pm 

Started watching Shippuden the other day and now I am on ep 25. Pretty good but the manga(as always) is better since what happens in 25 episodes in the anime, happens in about 10 or less chapters in the manga.

Do we see Kakashi's past in Shippuden or did that happen in the original Naruto?

PostPosted: July 27th, 2008, 1:00 am 
Major Contributor

zero_chaos wrote:
Do we see Kakashi's past in Shippuden or did that happen in the original Naruto?

Kakashi's past? If you mean when he got the Sharingan eye from Obito on his first mission as a Jonin, that arc was published at the end of volume 27 of the manga, as a dividing line between parts 1 and 2. I think the arc will get adapted to anime for Shippuden at some point though...

PostPosted: July 27th, 2008, 1:31 am 

shgarland wrote:
Kakashi's past? If you mean when he got the Sharingan eye from Obito on his first mission as a Jonin, that arc was published at the end of volume 27 of the manga, as a dividing line between parts 1 and 2. I think the arc will get adapted to anime for Shippuden at some point though...

Yes I was talking about that little story.

And damn, I was hoping they already did that because after reading that in the manga I stayed with it for awhile longer. I mean that was some of the best back story ever.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2008, 11:40 am 
Major Contributor

I'm not sure off-hand where I got the impression from, but I think they will do the gaiden arc eventually for Shippuden.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2008, 9:03 pm 

They could make a movie out of it...since it's short but straight to the point...

PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 5:17 pm 
Major Contributor

Speaking of movies, Naruto: the Movie 2 was shown this weekend before the normal episodes (which they seemed to put off airing for a couple of weeks), and according to advertising in this month's Shonen Jump the DVD aught to be out tomorrow...