Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 11:46 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Thuth be told, all my instance on this started with people actually saying some dubs are BETTER than the original dub. I can't see a smart person actually believing this, thus I started my argument. Other than that, yes, it's all a question of personal taste and tolerance to change.

In terms of the quality of the voices and talent, yeah there are English dubs that sound better and are better acted than the original Japanese language tracks. This is not surprising considering that some English dubs simply have a larger collection of talent than the original Japanese productions. Accuracy is not the only thing that counts. If the English version sounds better and more natural, then I would prefer it over the Japanese version even if the dialogue may differ from the original version (which is unavoidable whenever you translate one language to another)

Post subject: Re: Subbed vs. Dubbed Anime
PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 9:59 pm 
Newcomer

No way are dubs better. Some dubs are up to par but not better in my opinion. The only example of this I can think of is Golden Boy were I thought the voice acting was good.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 11:09 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
randomuser83 wrote:
No way are dubs better. Some dubs are up to par but not better in my opinion. The only example of this I can think of is Golden Boy were I thought the voice acting was good.

What an interesting example to use. Not Cowboy Bebop, FMA, any Miyazaki movie, but Golden Boy... a little known OAV dubbed back in 2002. :lol:

Any particular reason why you believe that an English Dub can't be better than a Japanese Dub?

PostPosted: July 8th, 2008, 6:30 am 

I can talk of Spanish dubs. Most of them are disastrous, since there seem to be 12 voice actors for the whole animation thing in Spain who're present in every series and who sound fed up of doing the same everytime :lol:
Another topic is the Latin American dubs, who always seem so pathetic (in the sense of being full of pathos) that they sound artificial. They seem to be dubbing one of their soap-operas :P
The only animation which is seriously well dubbed in Spain has been, up to now, The Simpsons (I know it's not anime), Outlaw Star and Shin-chan.

I guess it's a matter of first impressions. If you watch first the subbed version with the original voice actors, you'll consider the dub as something which fakes the "real" version. And if you watch the dub first, then you might be stranged at the different emphasis that Japs make in their voice acting.

I've switched sometimes to English dubs when it was possible, and I believe your dubs are sensibly better than the Spanish ones.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2008, 5:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
I can talk of Spanish dubs. Most of them are disastrous, since there seem to be 12 voice actors for the whole animation thing in Spain

That's like in Japan, paradoxically the promised land of Seiyû-dom, where they only seem to have a handful of terribly untalented voice actors for all western movie imports.

Bloodfairy wrote:
The only animation which is seriously well dubbed in Spain has been, up to now, The Simpsons (I know it's not anime), Outlaw Star and Shin-chan.

Please tell me about the Spanish dub of "Crayon Shin-chan". The German dub is so horrible and vulgar and full of artificial youth slang that I'd had to call it a show for the intellectually impaired. When I was in Japan I saw and heard the original which is so totally different, still cheeky and sometimes naughty, but never vulgar, and I immediately became a fan. Yajima Akiko is a master of her profession... considering that Shin-chan and Relena Peacecraft basically have the same voice I stand in awe.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2008, 8:16 pm 

Shin Chan's voice actress has a thick Galician accent, which applies a certain dose of musicality/ambiguity to Shinosuke's voice... exactly what you expect of a child who causes mischief and you never know if he's doing it intentionally :P
As well, she mastered the "uoooooh" tag by Shinosuke, so she applies it correctly and makes the audience laugh.

I had heard her in other anime, of course, but the best results have arised in this one.

Nevertheless, Crayon Shin Chan has been directed, as all anime here in Spain is, towards children betwen 4-12... a bad idea, in fact, which has caused that the series is hated by many parents who can't understand why a child with such a behavior is being exposed at those times of the day, just before children go to school and after they eat their meals.
Who would tell them that the series is directed towards adults, who are the ones who can understand what commonplaces Shinosuke is making fun of?

PostPosted: July 9th, 2008, 6:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
Who would tell them that the series is directed towards adults, who are the ones who can understand what commonplaces Shinosuke is making fun of?

At first glance, naming "adults" as the target group seems exaggerated, but on second thought... in "The Adult Empire strikes back" the most important element is grown-ups longing to have the carefree days of their childhood back - and what child could understand a tiny bit of how nostalgic being a kid again actually would be?

I would like to add a thought that I had when I was sitting in a Hirosaki cinema on the 8th of May in 2004, watching the Crayon Shin-chan movie "Kasukabe Boys", a Western parody, featuring Klaus Kinski, John Wayne. maybe Steve McQueen, and Yule Brunner among other Western movie stars whom I did not recognize. I looked around and saw a bunch of kids between four and nine years of age, who - apparently along with thewir parents - had no idea what excellent guest cast they were being offered. How could they? You need a certain age (and cultural background knowledge) to know these figures.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2008, 10:38 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Here's what I think about subbed and dubbed anime. I prefer subbed anime because it not only is more authentic, but it actually keeps me focused on what's being said in a different language. I do have to admit that there are quite a few titles that have great quality dubbing, as well as voice acting such as Cowboy Bebop, Akira, and several Miyazaki films. As long as the dub track is top notch and the voice acting cast is excellent and have good experience, then I'm with dubs. Overall I'm gonna stick with subbed anime for safety reasons (bad voice acting, terrible script, mistranslation, etc.). To further demonstrate my point, let Sailor Moon explain why I prefer subbed anime over dubbed anime....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_aaaO202qk

I rest my case.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 2:05 pm 
Resident Scholar

I'll add another one:

If the scene appears in the dub, you might realize because of the doll that it's a "Crayon Shin-chan" reference.
If you're good you'll recognize Shin-chan's "my little elephant" routine.
But the best part about it is that these are even Shin-chan's and Misae's real voices - Yajima Akiko and Narahashi Miki - which is completely lost in a translated dub version.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 2:07 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
I'll add another one:

If the scene appears in the dub, you might realize because of the doll that it's a "Crayon Shin-chan" reference.
If you're good you'll recognize Shin-chan's "my little elephant" routine.
But the best part about it is that these are even Shin-chan's and Misae's real voices - Yajima Akiko and Narahashi Miki - which is completely lost in a translated dub version.

The subs are better in this instance.

Either way, though, I could help but feel bad for that girl...finding the Shin-chan doll only to have that guy approach her...
:cry:

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 10:20 am 
Resident Scholar

shgarland wrote:
I could help but feel bad for that girl...finding the Shin-chan doll only to have that guy approach her...

Actually it's supposed to be funny for the exaggeration (and the injoke). :blink:

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 8:15 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
shgarland wrote:
I could help but feel bad for that girl...finding the Shin-chan doll only to have that guy approach her...

Actually it's supposed to be funny for the exaggeration (and the injoke). :blink:

It was a little funny. I mean...to find the Shin-chan doll, only for him to approach her...

It's just also kind of ew...

PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 3:10 pm 
Newcomer

Wow the video brings it back like over a decade. :) Thanks for sharing.