Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Secret To Tell
PostPosted: July 10th, 2008, 11:16 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
At first I was afraid to say this on my introduction, so I decided to make a thread about something that I have (if that's OK with you, Acmurphy). My secret is that I have Asperger's syndrome (mild form of autism). Living with Asperger's can be a problem and I have trouble communicating with others. I have trouble with looking at people in the eye when spoken to, having trouble putting thoughts into sentences, I usually shy away from strangers, I sometimes shout out and repeat quotes in front of public, and I sometimes move my arms around for no apparent reason. Even though it's still a challenge to live with it, but I'm getting better at controlling it. My Asperger's is a lot better right now, then it used to be when I was younger. So, does anyone here have Asperger's or any other form of autism and how does it affect you? If not do you know anyone who does, like friends or family?

Post subject: Re: A Secret To Tell
PostPosted: July 11th, 2008, 12:24 am 

Wow, I would not have know you had any thing like autism(or even a mild form of it). I mean your sentences are written well and in complete thoughts(a lot more than I can say for many forum members I have seen over the years).

I do not know anyone that has your condition(or anything like it). I might know someone, but they just have it under control well enough so I do not know. My good friend and roommate's father studders, but I knew him for about a year before I found that out. He only said one or two words whenever he spoke to me before me and his son moved in together. After we moved in, he talked to me more and I noticed it. My mother takes meds for depression for a couple of years before I found out.(it wasn't like she tried to hide it, just really never came up)

Point is, more people than you think live with conditions, you just might not know it.

I wish you the best of luck with handing your condition.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2008, 12:53 am 
Regular

Likewise, I'd never have known if you hadn't mentioned it, Gojira. If you do have Asperger's Syndrome, you're certainly doing a fantastic job of overcoming it. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who lives with a handicap, but you're a great example of how just because somebody has one, doesn't mean that they're any less interesting and engaging to have around.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2008, 1:08 am 

Gojira when we first started talking over AIM I didn't know you had it till you told me. Your doing an amazing job handling it and I wish you the best of luck! :)

PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 1:05 am 
Major Contributor

I greatly appreciate the positive comments from you guys. Thank you very much. I just wanted to let everyone know so that if they don't understand what I'm saying or trying to point out, it's because I have Asperger's. You don't have to treat me differently or anything like that.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 3:53 am 
Post Master

I think I might know someone with autism. This one guy at work had a weird reaction when he looked me in the eye. He also has trouble communicating, and for some reason he likes to stay at work even though he's off.

I don't have any secrets that I haven't discussed on here already.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 4:09 am 
Resident Scholar

Did you expect someone would call an exorcist or something? :lol:
I agree this isn't something that you simply tell people on first sight (although it is an option, laying the cards on the table), but you could have added it to your introduction thread eventually. Why not? First, we're a group of more or less equally minded people and I always loved the openness of this forum, second, we're conversing by writing messages instead of talking eye to eye, and third, people will rather reject you if you don't look at them while talking and being overly submissive than when you say "Uh, I have this condition..." - and anyone who does mind is a jerk who isn't worth talking to anyway.

No need to be ashamed. It's not like you get a kick out of being peed upon by hookers or something, right? That would be something to remain silent about... :mrgreen:
Anyways, there's noone without fail, but the difference is not that some people have bigger and some have smaller deficiencies, the real difference is that some people acknowledge and admit their problems and the others don't.

Hell, I mean, I have a depression that hinders me in virtually everything important that I do - why do you think I can be 31 and still be a student? Because "I have this condition". There are months during which I cannot work on anything in a reasonable manner because I could just lay down on my bed and sleep for weeks, at least that's the way it feels like. I'm grateful that my teachers give me flexible deadlines (nearly none) so I could finish my papers without having to repeat the course. Self-motivation is a big problem, and that's another great thing about the army - there's always someone to tell you what to do. I need exterior factors for motivation, be it possible praise or reprimand.

You're not alone, Gojira, and I believe in "Leave noone behind".
Outcasts - people who are being looked upon because they're "strange" - have always found a potential ally in me.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 12:17 am 
Major Contributor

Thanks for the humorous, yet supportive comment there, 42317. I'm glad everyone here sees anyone with disabilities for who they are as individuals.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 1:25 pm 

Wow, I'm not familiar with that condition, but I understand a bit about autisim since my friend is a special education instructor for kids with autism. Now that you describe the symptoms, I've probably met people with your condition before at anime conventions, but didn't understand their reactions to me. Now I'll be more open-minded thanks to you.

One of my dark secrets is that I don't like live-action monster movies. My dad thinks I am a retard and I'm sure you have a "special" opinion for me too. :lol2:

We all have our quirks and issues and I admire that your challenge seems so much more serious and life-altering, yet you are meeting it head on. Gambare! (Do you best).

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 2:57 am 
Major Contributor

PunkDaddy wrote:
One of my dark secrets is that I don't like live-action monster movies.

You don't like monster movies, that's OK I'm not gonna bother you about.
*Fires atomic heat ray at you* j/k
I can understand it. Monster movies require taste and nostalgia in order to enjoy them.

Anyway, I'm glad that I help you understand what my condition is and thanks for the comment there, Punkdaddy. I do my best every day and it's never that easy, but I can manage it in the end.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 7:35 am 
Post Master

Remove?

Last edited by Mmsven on August 2nd, 2008, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 12:30 am 

I would have never guessed Gojira. Having some difficulties with verbal communication can be tough, but it's great to see that you are overcoming it. It's also good to point out that you are one of the newest members yet you have contributed greatly to the board, with great posts to boot.
I, myself, don't really know anyone with any form of autism. I do know people with other conditions, some more difficult than others, and they all try hard to continue their lives.
In the end I believe we all live with some sort of "pathology", sometimes unusual behaviors, thoughts or even ideals, there are differences, but I think all those things are what makes us interesting as individuals.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 1:52 am 

There's one girl i know, she's 20 and VERY talented. She was currently going to school to be a beautician. She was recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. I feel so bad for her, she can't work and she is forced to drop out of school. She's on medication almost 24/7. I don't know her very well, i've only met her like 3 times when we've had family get togethers with my dads (soon to be) new wife's family. She was such a nice girl and it didn't deserve to happen to her.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 1:54 pm 

My mom thought I had autism when I was young. It just turns out I was quite shy and/or antisocial.

I do have my hesitations and anxieties when talking to new/unfamiliar people or having to ask them for help and stuff, and sometimes this can even extend to making phone calls. I just feel awkward, so perhaps I can somewhat understand, not completely but maybe just a little what it can be like. Simply put, I'm not good at breaking the ice... but once it breaks anything goes. And thus I kinda rely on friends I somehow made... to introduce me to more friends! Kinda deal. Anyway I'm one of those people who appreciates company, but is (mostly anyway) fine without it.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2008, 7:30 pm 
Major Contributor

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
My mom thought I had autism when I was young. It just turns out I was quite shy and/or antisocial.

I do have my hesitations and anxieties when talking to new/unfamiliar people or having to ask them for help and stuff, and sometimes this can even extend to making phone calls. I just feel awkward, so perhaps I can somewhat understand, not completely but maybe just a little what it can be like. Simply put, I'm not good at breaking the ice... but once it breaks anything goes. And thus I kinda rely on friends I somehow made... to introduce me to more friends! Kinda deal. Anyway I'm one of those people who appreciates company, but is (mostly anyway) fine without it.

I know how that feels Storm_Shinobi, but for me it's just a bit more challenging since I'm diagnosed with a mental disorder. It's kinda hard to tell if you actually have it or not. Autism can do weird things to ya at times.