Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 20th, 2017, 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Who posted your favoite AMV during the May contest?
42317 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Cab329 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Commondeer 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
Mmsven 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
PrfsrSnapesAngel 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Re: 6th Contest: Voting For The Best AMV
PostPosted: July 12th, 2008, 4:04 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
Say, Acmurphy, inhowfar are your choices for first and second prizes different?

Could you, um, rephrase/expand the question? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here :?

42317 wrote:
Btw, are address stickers expensive? It seems like you always use your mother's and just replace the first name... :lol2:

lol, no I'm sure they aren't very expensive. The only thing I really ever send through the mail are these packages, so I never had a need to get address stickers with my name on it. And my mother, the kind woman she is, usually packages all these things up for me, so I just mail them off at the post office. Which means she just uses her address stickers and changes the name to mine when boxing them up.

One could say I'm lazy, and one would be correct :lol:

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 11:00 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
42317 wrote:
Say, Acmurphy, inhowfar are your choices for first and second prizes different?
Could you, um, rephrase/expand the question? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here

Oh, sorry.
You've been giving away "first prizes" and "second prizes" in your contests.
One might expect that the first prize is worth more or better in some way than the second, like
"First Prize: A brand-new Corvette!"
"Second Prize: A free ticket for the Indy 500 series!"

In the first AMV contest, you said:
Quote:
First Place: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Season 1
Second Place: If we have a second place winner, the prize will be Spiral the Complete Box Set.
For this particular case, inhowfar is "Spiral" a lesser prize than "GitS SAC" (except for the fact that GitS is more widely known)?
Generally speaking: What makes you decide what's worth being called first prize and what's "only" worth a second prize (= consolation prize for the champion of the losers)? :lol:

PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 4:13 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
For this particular case, inhowfar is "Spiral" a lesser prize than "GitS SAC" (except for the fact that GitS is more widely known)?

Spiral has a lower R1 retail price.

In the case of this contest, Cowboy Bebop is worth $50, and the other prizes are all worth $40.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2008, 12:47 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
Generally speaking: What makes you decide what's worth being called first prize and what's "only" worth a second prize (= consolation prize for the champion of the losers)? :lol:

Ok. I wasn't sure if you asking for that or how close the first and second place winners were in the actual contest.

Mmsven got it pretty much correct, but only in one sense. Every contest with a first and second place prize has had the first place prize extrinsically worth more. Or in the same sense, I try and do the same type of thing with how much effort is put forth in the contest. Telling me a title to check out takes very little effort, so I usually give better prizes for contests that have a little more meat, like posting a bunch of AMV's that actually takes a bit of time to find, sometimes upload, find; more return for the effort put in. Part of the (better titles) is something that is actually worth a higher value on the market. It's the easiest way to do it since everyone is going ot have different tastes and preferences.

The other aspect is that first place prizes are typically much more widely known, and are usually going to be something desired. Like the GitS SAC box set or the Cowboy Bebop box sets. Most of the second place prizes are much less well known, making them more of a consolation prize do to the fact that most people don't actually know much about them, haven't seen them yet, or maybe even heard of them. Which makes them more of a, I'd be happy with a free box set for a series which may be good, but not quite the same hype surrounding GitS SAC, which I think everyone was excited at trying to win (Or, more so than usual anyway). Sadly doing such prizes such as that is somewhat cost prohibitive :diss: (And it just so happens that more well known and "quality" series happen to cost more money anyway, so they kind of go together).

In general, I try and set them up in a way so that people want to win the contest and get the first place prize, but will be happy if they don't quite make it and just get second. I'd be an odd dynamic if everyone was trying to come in second :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 9:08 pm 
Resident Scholar

I see, that's elaborate.
But, be it as it may, I'm happy with winning anything, prize price does not matter.