Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe... wow. how random.
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 4:03 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox36 ... info.shtml

When it comes to cross-over fighting games, I think of Marvel vs Capcom, Capcom vs SNK, and the Super Smash Bros. series, which all of the series work out fine and are really fun fighting games. And the now there's another cross-over looming on the horizon and it's Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe.
Wow. How random. I would have least expected that. Nonetheless, this should be interesting. Of course the Sub-Zero and Scorpion are gonna be in it. Superman and Batman are it in, no duh. The whole roster has yet to be given, but so far here's the list of the confirmed characters.

Mortal Combat characters
Sub-Zero
Scorpion
Sonya Blade
Shang Tsung

DC Comics characters
Superman
Batman
The Flash
Catwoman

I hope Wonder Woman, Lobo, Green Lantern, Joker, Poison Ivy, Darkseid, and Doomsday are in it. Especially Doomsday, since he's one the best comic book villains ever. I bet Johnny Cage, Liu Kang, Kano, Kitana, Goro, Cyrax, Raiden, Baraka and Reptile are gonna be in it for sure.

The arenas include Hell and the Lin Kuei Temple from MK and Metropolis, the Batcave and Gotham City from DC Comics.

Oh btw, the Mortal Kombat characters and DC villians get to perform fatalities while the DC heroes get to perform brutalities only. So yeah the violence from MK is still there.

Here's the trailer for MK vs DC Universe

Sub-Zero vs Batman

So what do ya think about this?

Post subject: Re: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe... wow. how random.
PostPosted: July 5th, 2008, 9:09 pm 
Regular

To be entirely honest, I never liked these crossover games. SSBB was an exception when it originally just included characters from the Nintendo universe, but after they started including characters like Strider and Snake... Well, it just stretched my sense of disbelief too much.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 4:17 am 
Post Master

Crossover games are THE ultimate scam. They combine 2 popular things so fans of both will buy it.

What a piece of shit.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 2:17 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Crossover games are THE ultimate scam. They combine 2 popular things so fans of both will buy it.

What a piece of shit.

True, but to be honest I don't think crossovers aren't such a bad idea, as long as they turn out to be good. That's what matters the most. And to tell ya the truth, I think DC Comics vs Marvel Comics would be a better idea for a video game, since they're both the largest and most popular comic book companies out there and it would just kick so much ass. But no, all we get is Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe and that's totally random and unfitting. Sub-Zero vs Batman......... it would actually make a crappy fanfic.

Robin: "Holy fatalities, Batman! We've been beaten!"
MK Announcer: FINISH THEM!!!
*Sub-Zero rips out Robin's head and spinal cord. Then Sub-Zero freezes Batman and shatters him into pieces.*
MK Announcer: Sub-Zero Wins. FATALITY

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 5:07 pm 
Resident Scholar

Basically I find the crossover idea very appealing. I am neither a videogame fan nor a comic fan, but I always liked stories where heroes would get their butts kicked, like "Superman's Death", "A Death in the Family", or "Knightfall". It all depends on the result - as always, and although there are doubtful products they should be judged only after taking a look at the real thing.

What I'm wondering about is the appearance of Superman in such a game. I mean, hey, he's the archetype of the ridiculously strong patriotic superhero, and if it's not something like Doomsday who crosses his path or a squirrel that has eaten a walnut contaminated with Cryptonite, he's pretty much invincible. Scorpion's blades will just bounce off his manly chest and Shao Khan turns into a heap of dust upon a heat ray glance from his unforgiving eyes. Boredom ensues... so what kind of excuse do they offer so he can lose against highly trained but otherwise perfectly normal humans like Sonya?

PostPosted: July 6th, 2008, 5:34 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
What I'm wondering about is the appearance of Superman in such a game. I mean, hey, he's the archetype of the ridiculously strong patriotic superhero, and if it's not something like Doomsday who crosses his path or a squirrel that has eaten a walnut contaminated with Cryptonite, he's pretty much invincible. Scorpion's blades will just bounce off his manly chest and Shao Khan turns into a heap of dust upon a heat ray glance from his unforgiving eyes. Boredom ensues... so what kind of excuse do they offer so he can lose against highly trained but otherwise perfectly normal humans like Sonya?

In this game, Superman is not invincible. They've turned off Superman's invulnerability for this game, so he'll be hurt by Scorpion's spear. I'm sure they'll tone down some of the other DC character's abilities as well and if they didn't they'll tear the MK characters apart, which Doomsday could.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 10:27 pm 
Newcomer

This game looks retarded. Like the action looks blocky and slow. The falling combat is cool but it looks like mortal combat 1.2 instead of an awesome game.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 10:52 pm 
Major Contributor

randomuser83 wrote:
This game looks retarded. Like the action looks blocky and slow. The falling combat is cool but it looks like mortal combat 1.2 instead of an awesome game.

That was just a teaser trailer. It's still in development so don't make any assumptions yet until it further develops. And besides, it might a cool game and you might wanna try it yourself. :wink:

Last edited by Gojira on July 9th, 2008, 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2008, 5:33 am 
Regular

Gojira wrote:
In this game, Superman is not invincible. They've turned off Superman's invulnerability for this game, so he'll be hurt by Scorpion's spear. I'm sure they'll tone down some of the other DC character's abilities as well and if they didn't they'll tear the MK characters apart, which Doomsday could.

There, see, that's the kind of thing I dislike in crossovers. The whole thing about Superman is that he's meant to be SUPERMAN. If you turn off his invulnerability for the game, he's not really Superman anymore. He's just somebody who looks like Superman. :?

PostPosted: July 8th, 2008, 8:44 am 

Crossover games like... Marvel vs Capcom and Smash Bros are all fine and dandy. They make great party button mashing games. Like, who cares how it all works anyway?

But well..... MK vs DC. Its just too.... OBSCURE. Like if there was an SNK vs DC or something, we might have actually saw that coming. But its Mortal Kombat we're talking about here. Never in ages would I have saw this coming.

In all honesty, I can only see this falling to pieces.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2008, 5:25 pm 
Resident Scholar

Zaxares wrote:
Gojira wrote:
The whole thing about Superman is that he's meant to be SUPERMAN. If you turn off his invulnerability for the game, he's not really Superman anymore. He's just somebody who looks like Superman. :?

Exactly. In other words they advertise Ferraris and sell you a Lada.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2008, 6:26 pm 
Major Contributor

Zaxares wrote:
Gojira wrote:

There, see, that's the kind of thing I dislike in crossovers. The whole thing about Superman is that he's meant to be SUPERMAN. If you turn off his invulnerability for the game, he's not really Superman anymore. He's just somebody who looks like Superman. :?

He's still Superman, it's just that in this game, he lost his invulnerability due to magic. Ed Boon, the producer for MK vs DC said that during an interview.

TRMK wrote:
TRMK: Will there be fatalities in the game because Superman is invulnerable on earth – and it depends on where you're fighting. Can you perform a fatality on him?
EB: The Superman issue is - you know - he actually has two weaknesses, kryptonite and magic. A lot of people don't know about the whole magic thing. Mortal Kombat is grounded in a ton of magic. We have sorcerers and the Netherrealm. All this kind of crazy stuff. So in Outworld, Superman is clearly going to have some vulnerabilities. The whole premise of our story is these two realms merging together. So when you see that it's makes it a lot more plausible.

Here's the source.
http://www.trmk.org/games/mortal_kombat ... _day_2008/

PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 7:47 pm 
Major Contributor

New footage! Here's the MK vs DC Universe E3 Trailer!

Fatalities are gonna be in it as promised.... and shown. From the looks of the footage, it doesn't look too bad and it might have some potential. Also, Captain Marvel (a.k.a. Shazam!) and Lui Kang are added to the roster recently.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 7:57 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
New footage! Here's the MK vs DC Universe E3 Trailer!

Who are the babes? It's been a while since I took notice of anything about MK or DC.

... haha, looks more epic that the trailer before. :D

PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 10:05 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Who are the babes? It's been a while since I took notice of anything about MK or DC.

... haha, looks more epic that the trailer before. :D

The one in black is Catwoman and the other is Sonya Blade.