Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Does a creator have to be Japanese for a comic to be Manga?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Depends upon art style 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Depends upon story style 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Who cares 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Re: Does it have to be Japanese to be Manga?
PostPosted: June 14th, 2008, 6:47 pm 
Resident Scholar

Zaxares wrote:
I'd say that Shin-Chan is a cartoon. It's a Japanese cartoon, but it's still a cartoon.

"Crayon Shin-chan" is a program for young adults that disguises itself under a cover of childish appearance, don't forget that. The style was and is being used for camo purposes. :D

PostPosted: June 14th, 2008, 9:40 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
"Crayon Shin-chan" is a program for young adults that disguises itself under a cover of childish appearance, don't forget that. The style was and is being used for camo purposes. :D

Oh, I never said that cartoons weren't for adults. :lol: Like anime and manga, I simply classify cartoons as another style of artistic media. Whether a cartoon is suitable for children or adults depends entirely upon its subject matter. A cartoon like Spongebob is obviously for kids, while a cartoon like Family Guy is obviously intended for more mature audiences.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 9:01 am 

Well, I associate manga with Japan immediately when it comes to mind. To me it's just a graphic novel, but it has a characteristic style, and many times a Japanese setting, implying some Japanese culture.
But again, manga doesn't have that much of a deeper meaning to me than a graphic novel made in Japan.

In the same way, anime is just Japanese animation.
And a series such as Ulises 31 - would be French-Japanese animation.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 7:45 am 

Not every graphic novel coming from Japan is to be called manga. In fact, there is this gekiga movement which consciously tries to distance itself from Tezuka's style. Here we have an example, by Mako Madoka

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 12:24 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
there is this gekiga movement which consciously tries to distance itself from Tezuka's style. Here we have an example, by Mako Madoka

How come the depicted text is Chinese? :?:

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 1:02 pm 

Bloodfairy wrote:
Not every graphic novel coming from Japan is to be called manga. In fact, there is this gekiga movement which consciously tries to distance itself from Tezuka's style. Here we have an example, by Mako Madoka

I am a little familiar with the gekiga movement, but I thought that was a movement to do more mature content? I thought I just recently read that even Tezuka participated in the movement at some point... I definitely need to learn more someday. The point of my original topic was to explore if manga/gekiga/comics generated outside of Japan could be accepted as legitimate members of the genre. Part of my angle was curiosity about the members of this forum and part is judging how our manga-styled game will be received by anime/manga fans.

Personally, I think a wave of products fusing Eastern and Western art and story telling has begun and I'm eager to participate!

BTW, I'll try to read your blog. Yo tengo tres anos de Epanol en una escuela Americano, pero no recuerdo mucho. Pero mi madre y mi hermano... They are fluent. I missed that language-friendly gene. I want to get some of the skills back though... We're also trying to develop a Spanish language version of our game. Can you recommend any forums/websites to learn more about the Spanish fan market for PC Hentai games? (Sorry, a little off topic).

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 7:35 pm 

42317 wrote:
Bloodfairy wrote:
there is this gekiga movement which consciously tries to distance itself from Tezuka's style. Here we have an example, by Mako Madoka

How come the depicted text is Chinese? :?:

I guess the folks of the Christian Comics site didn't look too much at the kanjis :P Aside of that, since she published mainly about Biblic tales, translations for many languages are easily provided.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 7:47 pm 

PunkDaddy wrote:
I am a little familiar with the gekiga movement, but I thought that was a movement to do more mature content? I thought I just recently read that even Tezuka participated in the movement at some point... I definitely need to learn more someday. The point of my original topic was to explore if manga/gekiga/comics generated outside of Japan could be accepted as legitimate members of the genre. Part of my angle was curiosity about the members of this forum and part is judging how our manga-styled game will be received by anime/manga fans.

Personally, I think a wave of products fusing Eastern and Western art and story telling has begun and I'm eager to participate!

BTW, I'll try to read your blog. Yo tengo tres anos de Epanol en una escuela Americano, pero no recuerdo mucho. Pero mi madre y mi hermano... They are fluent. I missed that language-friendly gene. I want to get some of the skills back though... We're also trying to develop a Spanish language version of our game. Can you recommend any forums/websites to learn more about the Spanish fan market for PC Hentai games? (Sorry, a little off topic).

There are some Spanish products which imitate Manga, yet are composed by Spaniards who might use this ambiguity in their advantage. That's the so-called Iberimanga. I think there is something out there called Lolita HR, which uses manga-styled pictures but is made by a Spanish-French couple.
The big company Glénat edits it under the "Manga" label. The series seems interesting, but I'd like to see how it develops itself before embarking myself into buying another series... 6 series with no end have made me learn the lesson :P
And there is this Dragon Ball parody, which had a main load of manga in itself, called Dragon Fall, but it has no pretension of becoming something serious. It's just a laugh-to-tears parody, made by Spaniards for Spaniards (the humour is mainly done in the Spanish way).

About the Hentai part, I'm really sorry to say I have no clue about it. I'll scout around a little bit, but I am really clueless. The only Hentai thing I've watched (unintentionally) has been Harvest Nights. I liked it, because it created a crude atmosphere combining sex, violence and madness all around. It's a pity it was only 2 OVA's...

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 12:34 pm 

Bloodfairy wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

There are some Spanish products which imitate Manga, yet are composed by Spaniards who might use this ambiguity in their advantage. That's the so-called Iberimanga. I think there is something out there called Lolita HR, which uses manga-styled pictures but is made by a Spanish-French couple.
The big company Glénat edits it under the "Manga" label. The series seems interesting, but I'd like to see how it develops itself before embarking myself into buying another series... 6 series with no end have made me learn the lesson :P
And there is this Dragon Ball parody, which had a main load of manga in itself, called Dragon Fall, but it has no pretension of becoming something serious. It's just a laugh-to-tears parody, made by Spaniards for Spaniards (the humour is mainly done in the Spanish way).

About the Hentai part, I'm really sorry to say I have no clue about it. I'll scout around a little bit, but I am really clueless. The only Hentai thing I've watched (unintentionally) has been Harvest Nights. I liked it, because it created a crude atmosphere combining sex, violence and madness all around. It's a pity it was only 2 OVA's...

Neat! I'm always so thrilled by the infiltration of the manga style! I'll have to try and look up some of these on the web. Are there any websites that you recommend? Admittedly, I'll certainly struggle with the text- your blog has exposed some serious vocabulary deficiencies in my Spanish! Still, if I'm going to get better, I must keep trying.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2008, 7:55 pm 
Major Contributor

What if it's a well-established, well known American writer teaming up with a manga artist? I bought the September '08 edition of Shonen Jump today, and the "sneak peak" for this issue is Ultimo, by Stan Lee (creator most notably of Spider-Man) and Hiroyuki Takei (creator of Shaman King).

edit: I didn't mean to post the same question twice, honest! I got some kind of error try to post the first time, and didn't think it went through.
:diss:

PostPosted: August 6th, 2008, 12:17 am 

shgarland wrote:
What if it's a well-established, well known American writer teaming up with a manga artist? I bought the September '08 edition of Shonen Jump today, and the "sneak peak" for this issue is Ultimo, by Stan Lee (creator most notably of Spider-Man) and Hiroyuki Takei (creator of Shaman King).

Excellent point. These hybrids will be cropping up more and more and will totally defy the current definitions. I know they are art, but if they are manga/anime?

I say we propose the Animetric Metric which will measure how much a product is Anime/Manga vs. Animation/Comics and we can model it on the Kinsey Scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale).

Zero = pure Eastern product, no Western influence
Six = pure Western product, no Eastern influence

So the Stan/Lee Hiroyuki Takei product is probably a 3 (I consider the art more influential than the writing in general and I know nothing about the title, so I'm purely speculating).

This forum would probably be a 4 (mostly Western minds coming together because of Eastern art).

Etc.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2008, 4:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
I say we propose the Animetric Metric which will measure how much a product is Anime/Manga vs. Animation/Comics and we can model it on the Kinsey Scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale).

wikipedia wrote:
The Kinsey scale attempts to describe a person's sexual history or episodes of their sexual activity at a given time

Sounds like a great context. :D

PostPosted: October 5th, 2008, 11:36 pm 

I'm not voting on this one. I'm of the oppinion that, if its to be called manga, it has to be from Japan. If' its from South Korea or some place it called Manwa and other countries the same that's all i have to say.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 5:25 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
I'm not voting on this one. I'm of the oppinion that, if its to be called manga, it has to be from Japan. If' its from South Korea or some place it called Manwa and other countries the same that's all i have to say.

Uh, you just gave a solid opinion - why not push the according button ("yes"), too? :?: