Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 1:27 pm 
Resident Scholar

I remember in the time BRS (Before ReStart) there was a rule that people would be banned automatically if they did not, during the course of a few weeks, provide at least a minimum number of posts.
Otherwise the member list would just go overboard.
I thought that was a good idea and I would like to propose that this rule be applied ARS (After ReStart), too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 7:08 pm 
Lurker

I loved how I never got deleted despite going AWOL for months at a time. I think I was gone for more than a year once, and my account was still active. :3

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 9:57 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
At this point in time I have no plans to start banning or deleting people's accounts because of inactivity. The site has already had a number of people that have signed up and been inactive for over a month, and then started to post. I have no problem with a large member list and I don't really know what that would negatively affect anyway. What I will be doing though is removing people’s websites from their profile and/or sig if they prove to just be someone trying to get back links to their website. I have no problem with people linking to their site if they are an active member that is actually posting something, but I am not going to have the site be some sort of link-farm for people wanting more links/better page rank/traffic from the site/etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 12:44 am 
Regular

hmmm I have to agree with 42317 for a simple reason. As I remember, animetric is quite famous and will get to thousands of members pretty fast. However there are lots of people who register and never get back, and than their nicks get "stuck". Like, someone gets in with "Lumiere", which is somewhat a disputed nick, and never log in back. 3 years from now the nick is still taken despite being innactive.

I think that was the point of cleaning up old accounts. I don't think it must be something as hard as it was BRS (6 months?), it could be like 2 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 6:58 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
At this point in time I have no plans to start banning or deleting people's accounts because of inactivity.

Oh, please don't get me wrong, I was not talking about simple inactivity. It happens that people "go astray" for some reason for several weeks (Zankoku-na Master no Thesis, anyone?). 8)

But we all want this to be "a place bustling with activity". Let's say e.g. somebody has not posted five times during his/her first month of membership. <1.25 posts per week - seems more like a lurker to me. Or let's say at least a dozen posts during the first three months. If the new member passes the threshold, let him/her stay on permanently no matter how long the absence afterwards.

Why does it make sense? Not just because Animetric is kinda famous and gets good rankings at Google - BRS there were not few people who would become members and then post some kind of advertising (banned anyway) or whatever nonsense, or just a single comment, never to return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 10:14 am 

I'd like to have bigger avatars. Also a word limit. For me I tend to ramble and having awrod list would help rein myself in.
But that's about it for me. I like the way things are around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2007, 9:07 am 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
I'd like to have bigger avatars. Also a word limit.

The avatars BRS were bigger, but what's the point? I don't mind anyway.
I mind a word limit - if you mean "a limited number of words (or hits on the keyboard) per post". Doesn't suit me. I use to write pretty much on some occasions, especially if the topic (or my thought) tends toward the philosophical. Thorough discussion needs words. I think we're not all prepared for the compression of deep thoughts. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2007, 1:27 am 

I think he means a minimum number of words per post - to avoid one-liner responses.

I don't think the board is big enough to impose any restrictions that would diminish the number of posts. There aren't enough posts yet to heighten the quality of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2007, 11:13 am 
Resident Admin

I have no intention of putting in a word limit. A word minimum isn't bad, but I could see problems with that as well. I might be increasing the avatar size, I am thinking about it right now. I currently still have no plans to delete old members due to inactivity, even if it's a long time for the sake of freeing up their user names. 42317 bring up some interesting points on the matter though, so I will have to think on that for a little bit before I decide exactly what I want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2007, 1:37 pm 
Resident Scholar

Ahem... sorry to be a nuisance, but... could there be a pop-up window or something like that in case of a PM? :roll:
I realize there is an option in my profile... but it doesn't happen.
Mozilla problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2007, 3:47 pm 
Resident Admin

Odd, I use Firefox and I get a pop-up window when I get PM'ed. Might be a pop-up blocker? IDK if its a problem with the site or not. I will shoot you a PM to your last one and see if it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2007, 8:23 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Odd, I use Firefox and I get a pop-up window when I get PM'ed. Might be a pop-up blocker?

Strange pop-up blocker... let's through all the poker and insurance commercials but blocks Animetric PMs? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2007, 9:59 am 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
Acmurphy wrote:
Odd, I use Firefox and I get a pop-up window when I get PM'ed. Might be a pop-up blocker?

Strange pop-up blocker... let's through all the poker and insurance commercials but blocks Animetric PMs? :D

lol, well I will keep my eyes peeled for anything, but I don't know why it isn't working for you. Does the pop-up window on PM's not work for anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2007, 12:38 am 

I was wondering if you could restore some of the original moderators: Fresnokila, Spazmaster, and Cypher-Khan, to their respective positions.

Thanks again for bringing back Animetric! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2007, 1:00 am 
Resident Admin

Not that they wouldn't make good mods, but with 3 mods currently, it's rather overkill with 60 members total. Now they may have the option to become mods in the future, but right now it just isn't needed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next