Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2008, 4:52 pm 
Major Contributor

Would Slam Dunk count? I haven't read too much of it, but it seems to me the reason for the main character trying out for the school basketball team was to impress a girl...

BTW, isn't throwing 42317 into the fire a bit harsh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2008, 5:09 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Alright alright, I think 42317 gets the idea :D

Caiobrz wrote:
I did not watch Jin-Roh and that spoiler scratched from my list =p

You shouldn't let your knowledge of the destination keep you from the journey! Jin-Roh is a very good movie and the fact that you know one aspect of the end shouldn't stop you from watching, what could be, a movie you really enjoy. (And if nothing else, it isn't that long since it is only a movie).

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 7th, 2008, 5:39 pm 
Regular

Quote:
You shouldn't let your knowledge of the destination keep you from the journey!

... but ... but than I cant throw 42317 into the fire! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2008, 8:59 pm 
Regular

shgarland wrote:
What about Sakura Diaries? I'm not sure Touma's goals regarding Meiko (or for that matter Urara's for her precious Tonma-chan) were all that realistic, because once all the secrets were revealed theres no way the end of the series could have been anything other than what it was. But all the same, I think Sakura Diaries counts as a really good romance.

I just watched Sakura Diaries, I'm very disapointed, I don't see "safe romance" anywhere, I felt anxious all the title and in the end there was no "couple" romance or anything, rather the oposite, it was a all-the-way teen romance with a dual love triangle where neither reaches a conclusion, and the ending is open to interpretation - a.k.a. no real ending.

I think we are looking for titles were one can feel warm and cozy while watching, with relationships that show a couple dating or simply hanging out together and happily. I couldn't sense that from Sakura's Diary at all, specially because from my interpretation both girls end alone, the last scene is Urara's dream

Nah, Sakura Diaries is very far from this list =/

I'm looking for titles that make you fell GOOD most of the time ;)

I read bad reviews about Peach Girl and Hana Yori Dango for that, how they are more like dramas and lots of moments you fell anger or bad. I want a cozy feeling ><; Anyone can tell me about Hana Yori Dango?

Im the meanwhile I will try mmsven's proposal Armitage III - *hopes for a good ending*

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2008, 1:31 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
I don't see "safe romance" anywhere, I felt anxious all the title and in the end there was no "couple" romance or anything, rather the oposite, it was a all-the-way teen romance with a dual love triangle where neither reaches a conclusion, and the ending is open to interpretation - a.k.a. no real ending.

I think we are looking for titles were one can feel warm and cozy while watching, with relationships that show a couple dating or simply hanging out together and happily. I couldn't sense that from Sakura's Diary at all, specially because from my interpretation both girls end alone, the last scene is Urara's dream

Nah, Sakura Diaries is very far from this list =/

When I think about it, I think you might be right about this. I believe it's closer to a tale of obsession than a safe romance. This is true for Urara and Touma at least, because the lies each told the people they wanted to be with had been deal-breakers (or at least would have been if Touma's had come to Reiko's attention before she broke things off anyway, not after).

I agree that the way things ended was open for interpretation though...I just felt there was more conclusion than you apparently did.

Spoiler
I feel that Urara's dream was simply an act of denial about how things had ended. Touma couldn't not walk out on her in the end, after he found out what her father was really up to. He would have simply been taking advantage of the situation if he stayed, and it would have been based on a lie if he had IMO.

Caiobrz wrote:
I'm looking for titles that make you fell GOOD most of the time ;)

Another very good point, especially regarding how things end. There had been points where I couldn't not laugh at least a little bit. Given the way things ended though...no, not the right title for what you mean here at all.

Caiobrz wrote:
I just watched Sakura Diaries, I'm very disapointed

I hope I didn't kill the series for you, just because I happen to be wrong about Sakura Dairies being a "safe romance". I admit it's not now that I look back at my most recent viewing of it, but it's still a solid title worth watching IMO.

Last edited by shgarland on May 15th, 2008, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2008, 4:46 am 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
Anyone can tell me about Hana Yori Dango?

I can tell you that anything is better than "Meteor Garden", it's Taiwan-Drama adaptation, which made me hate every single character for the three episodes that I could endure. :x
We had "Hana yori Dango" in our Anime Club once and it was rather successfull. But what's all recommendation good for once you have decided on a title? Whether you like it or not will only be decided by you.

Post subject: Re: Safe Romantic titles
PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 2:38 am 

Here's a few I didn't see on anyone's list. Probably because some of them are really old.

Ai Yori Aoshi
is about strong romance in SPITE of a harem. The main female character is too passive for me, but there are a ton of people who like this show. Not that it has an ending...

Ah! My Goddess! / Oh! My Goddess! is similar to Ai Yori Aoshi in theme, but far less realistic. It's fun and has a lot of people who swear by it.

Fushigi Yugi starts out a bit like a harem, but it's pretty clear from the beginning that there's only one serious romantic relationship and everything will revolve around it. I truly enjoyed this series. It can get a bit melodramatic at times, and the female lead can be whiny, but it is fun.

Koi Kaze is a strong romantic story but also about incest. Very disturbing but it got good reviews. I couldn't get past the first volume because I was too uncomfortable to enjoy it. :shock:

Marmalade Boy is fun, but I've only seen the first 10 episodes or so. What I saw is very funny and pretty sweet. Still it's a teen romance so maybe that doesn't qualify for your list?

Maison Ikkoku. My all time favorite TV series. Unlike most Rumiko Takahashi series where the romantic triangles never get resolved, she wrote herself into a corner and had to end this one. It certainly starts out as a sitcom, but it has a great ending. Highly recommended, but I admit it is very long. 90+ episodes.

Black Lagoon- Revy & her guns… Just kidding! 8)

I know I'm missing a bunch, but I can't think of them. I hear Touch is good, but I've never seen it. Karin is more a comedy than a romance... Oh well, that's all I can think of for now.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 2:45 am 
Post Master

PunkDaddy wrote:
Ah! My Goddess! / Oh! My Goddess! is similar to Ai Yori Aoshi in theme, but far less realistic. It's fun and has a lot of people who swear by it.

Not safe at all I would have to say.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 11:51 am 

Kare Kano(His and Her Circumstances) is probably the only romantic comedy anime I have ever seen. With that said, I really liked it a lot. I mean it had the right amount of comedy and romance. I remember I felt disappointed about the ending though.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2008, 7:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
Marmalade Boy is fun, but I've only seen the first 10 episodes or so. What I saw is very funny and pretty sweet. Still it's a teen romance so maybe that doesn't qualify for your list?

The Problem with this series is that you can be really pissed after you realize what elements make it run: Wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time, seeing or hearing the wrong things and totally misinterpreting them, and then they sulk and make a drama out of it instead of just talking about it for five minutes which would immediately resolve the situation.
"Marmelade Boy" has interesting characters, nice humor, a good voice cast, and can be entertaining in certain ways (like, when I realized what kind of "parental constellation" this is, I felt a certain sexual tension), but after an afternoon of episodes I just couldn't stand it any longer because the same mistakes which brought about one crisis after another are repeated ever and ever again without anybody becoming any smarter.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2008, 7:28 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Would Please Teacher! be considered as safe romance? Even though, it's kinda ecchi, but it's not as raunchy as some romance animes.

Man, every time someone mentions Black Lagoon, the movieCreature From the Black Lagoon comes up to mind.

Last edited by Gojira on June 1st, 2008, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 5:58 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
zero_chaos wrote:
Kare Kano(His and Her Circumstances) is probably the only romantic comedy anime I have ever seen. With that said, I really liked it a lot. I mean it had the right amount of comedy and romance. I remember I felt disappointed about the ending though.

Sadly another ending killed by catching up with the manga :( I think there might have been another internal problem with this one, but I can't remember exactly what it was. But nevertheless, they were close to where the manga was at, which at least partly explains the complete and sudden ending without even a hint of some sort of final story arc. Which is sad, since I did like the series and really liked the manga. It's the longest manga series I have read, next to Berserk anyway 8)

And it really sucks, because when this happens the series almost never gets restarted to finish the manga material :evil:

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2008, 11:43 am 

I was going to post here but Postdaddy stole my thunder.

As for His and Her circumstances, eh? I could never really get into it. after about volume 9 it felt like they were just putting out fluff to extend the series and made it running wayy to long. Kinda like Inu Yasha.

Gojira, I consider Please Teacher! a romance, what else could you call it? :? And its not raunchy, its love comedy done right! :sarcasm:

PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 3:51 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
I was going to post here but Postdaddy stole my thunder.

Like, what!? :lol:

PostPosted: October 6th, 2008, 12:05 am 

He went down my list for the most part.
Ai Yori AoshiAh! My Goddess! / Oh! My Goddess!
Fushigi Yugi
Koi Kaze
Marmalade Boy
Maison Ikkoku.

The only series I'd have to add are.
Please Teacher, Pleae Twins, Rumbling Hearts, Chobits, Fruits Basket, Inu Yasha, Love Hina, Midori Days, Saber Marionette J

Okay so maybe there are a few. Hmmm, I'll fill in the rest later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next