Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 8:52 pm 
Lurker

Zaxares wrote:
This is true, but still, I have met Button Mashers who were strangely difficult to beat, at least until I figured out their preferences. For example, one Masher I encountered tended to use fireball moves because of the way he was moving the stick. As I was playing a grappler, it made it extremely difficult for me to get in close (this was from a game where there wasn't a 'roll' move to allow grapplers to get in close), but once I managed to get him within arm's reach, he went down easy.

What were you playing? That sounds more like a broken game than anything else if constant fireball whoring is a tactic that can effectively keep people at bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 9:43 pm 
Regular

It was from an old 2D fighter game called Garou: Mark of the Wolves. The character I was playing in question was called Tizoc, who has a good reach, but an extremely low jump. The character I was facing off against was Kushnood (who uses the same sort of moves as Ryo Sakazaki), but his recovery time from fireballs is unnaturally fast. Plus, Kushnood has some good anti-air moves.

I think the problem was more a situation with Tizoc being underpowered than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 11:38 pm 
Lurker

I'm really not sure what to say. Tizoc is low tier in Garou. I think top tier in that game is like... Terry, Gato, Jae... and some others I don't remember. Regardless of tier status, though, fireball whoring should never work in that game. Just like parrying eliminates the ability to fireball whore in Third Strike, Just Defend makes it pointless in Garou. He was basically giving you free health. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 12:05 am 

Ah those good 2-D fighters...I still love them...

Let's see genres I hate...

Well I love them all...but I do hate sports more than others...but than again like someone mentioned...when you played against friends they are fun...it's the solo that sucks...

I guess simulation games like Simcity...I did enjoy the Sims but those other games I hate...

Also I do love racing games...but the arcade types...the simulation ones again...I hate....having to try to manage everything and tweak everything...I prefer just having fun without thinking much...if I want to think than I would play strategy games or rpg's...the good ones...

Other than that...I do love them all...arcade racing...platformers...rpg's... strategy...fighting (2-D and 3-D)....wierd ones like Animal Crossing which never ends...shooters...hey I even loved PN03...

Oh almost forgot...I also despise the flight games...even the arcade ones....

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 6:14 am 

rurounijf wrote:

As a former tournament player in a few different 2D games, this statement made me die a little bit inside. Both parts, actually, not just the second sentence. Games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear are all about combos, I'm not sure where you are getting your impression from. Other games (Alpha 3, Third Strike, Capcom vs. SNK 2) focus more heavily on footsies and poking, but the concept of hit-confirming your combos is still huge in them.

My bad. Was actually making a reference to the much more lax combo system on 2D fighters. By this, meaning that mashing works way better on 2D fighters than 3D fighters.

@Zaxares:

That's a spot on categorization. Without bragging, I myself would fall into the skilled category when playing Tekken 5.

@Amex

Car managment is not like Barbie. Things you put into a car have bearing on the driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 7:12 am 
Regular

rurounijf wrote:
I'm really not sure what to say. Tizoc is low tier in Garou. I think top tier in that game is like... Terry, Gato, Jae... and some others I don't remember. Regardless of tier status, though, fireball whoring should never work in that game. Just like parrying eliminates the ability to fireball whore in Third Strike, Just Defend makes it pointless in Garou. He was basically giving you free health. :shock:

Ah yes, I forgot about the Just Defend feature of Garou. Yes, I technically could have won the match just by Just Defending all his fireballs (they were pretty predictable, after all), but I consider that to be a cheap way to win a match. When playing a grappler, I like to pulverise my opponent into submission. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 4:05 pm 
Lurker

Any fighting game player who considers something to be cheap (regards of which side that would fall on) should read the Playing to Win series. If you JD every fireball some scrub throws for an entire match and end with full health, do you think he's going to do it again the next match?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 8:08 pm 
Regular

rurounijf wrote:
Any fighting game player who considers something to be cheap (regards of which side that would fall on) should read the Playing to Win series. If you JD every fireball some scrub throws for an entire match and end with full health, do you think he's going to do it again the next match?

Your average Button Masher probably will. :wink: They don't know any better.

Still, I guess because I don't play on a really competitive level like you do, as a professional competitive player, I'm more willing to do things that would not make logical sense to somebody who was simply out to win. I primarily play these games to have a good time with friends; if I win in the process, so much the better, but it's not the end goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 8:29 pm 
Lurker

I guess it would be safe for me to say that any time I am playing against people I do not know, there is the motivation to win. If I am simply playing against my friends, then I'm fine with playing Third Strike and picking 12 just to mess around. Any other time, though, winning takes priority. I haven't been to a tournament for years, but even when I go to the movie theater, for example, and see someone playing MVC2 with a garbage team like Wolverine, Chun-li, Amingo, I'll still pick high tier and OCV them out of principle. I think it's a disease. :shock:

Dei wrote:
Car managment is not like Barbie. Things you put into a car have bearing on the driving.

I actually think that depends on the game. If you are playing something like Gran Turismo or Forza, then obviously the tweaks you spend hours doing to your car have an impact on performance. Likewise, buying new parts is generally done for improvement. In other games, though, like Need For Speed Underground, you can buy all sorts of ridiculous accessories like body kits and spoilers that give your car the potential to become a spaceship without really serving much of a purpose aside from eye-candy (if you consider that candy...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 6:28 am 
Newcomer

Zaxares wrote:
I play almost any sorts of games except for sports and driving simulations.

Same with me... until I got Wii Sports. I still go back to that game every once in a while just to bowl (and I'm terrible at bowling in real life).

Another genre that's not really for me are any sort of shooters. I have bad aim and suck at hiding myself.

Other than sports, wrestling, driving/racing (besides Mario Kart), and shooters, I'll play pretty much anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 7:52 am 
Resident Scholar

Why the extreme choice of words? I mean, "genres you hate"... come on.
There are genres which I am not good at, like fight games (lack of coordination), jump 'n' run (lack of patience) and point and click (lack of interesting topics and logic), but... well...

Yeah, I'm a button masher, if you say so, and the only fight game which I have learned to skilled level was Bloody Roar. I thought it was pretty easy to learn, unlike Mortal Kombat or StreetFighter.
Jump 'n' Runs are a no-no as well, but I am able to run through SuperMario Land in 15 minutes and I can make Gargoyle's Quest in less than 90 minutes. But that's it.
Last but not least some Point and Clicks piss me off, especially the Monkey Island series. You have to combine stuff in a completely senseless way to achieve some goal... I remember there was a sandpit or something and you had to combine like a tooth and a balloon and what have you to get out... I have only had enough motivation to play through Indiana Jones and the last Crusade.
Still I wouldn't go as far as saying I hated these genres. I just avoid them due to lack of ability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2007, 7:05 am 
Lurker

heheh, Fireball Whoring.... anyone seen the Hadoken Bros on youtube? :P as for me, i really dislike sports games, driving sims, and i'm not too big on MMORPGs. RTS+FPS FTW! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2007, 7:41 pm 
Major Contributor

Amex_Yohko wrote:
Sports.....

I'm not really into sports.Both real life and video games.

My first pick for what I don't like playing would be sports too, and for the same reason.

Don't like shooters, either. Unreal Tournament and Halo 2 are exceptions, but generally I'm not all that impressed with shooters.

Not big on racing/driving games either. No clue why, I'm just not interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 9:30 am 
Resident Scholar

rory_okane wrote:
heheh, Fireball Whoring.... anyone seen the Hadoken Bros on youtube?

Just now. Boring as hell. Rather watch this: Chihuahua. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 8:18 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
rory_okane wrote:
heheh, Fireball Whoring.... anyone seen the Hadoken Bros on youtube?

Just now. Boring as hell. Rather watch this: Chihuahua. :roll:

Was it just me or did that vacuum cleaner sound like one of the Transformers from the live action movie? :shock:

Maybe the dog was trying to tell us something! :lol: