Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 24th, 2017, 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Genre's you hate and why.
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 6:44 pm 

Yeah I know I'm making another thread that could thrwo (throw) the forum into war and get me killed neither of which I'm tryign (trying) to do. No I'm trying to brainwash you with my bad spelling.

First off I love all genres of videogames, well beside point and click adeventures. The genre I like least is fighting games. Why you ask, while I enjoy intracies and the female characters, I don't have excellent timing and in a game genre that requirs that you have it in order to get past half way threw game. This majorly bites, I want to beat the damn games but I can't because I don't know the difference of a half-a-split second botton tap and a half second botton tap, this is reall really irritating for me. Other wise I'd propably love the genre but the whole in ablility to play kills my enjoyment ofthe genre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 8:06 pm 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
Sports.....

I'm not really into sports.Both real life and video games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 9:44 pm 
Regular

I play almost any sorts of games except for sports and driving simulations. Driving simulations don't interest me in the slightest, and sports simulations... Well, if you want to play football/baseball/basketball/golf, why not go out and play the real thing??

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 9:53 pm 
Lurker

Amex_Yohko wrote:
Sports.....

I second this and for the same reasoning. I'm one of those people who couldn't possibly care less about sports in real life so I'm obviously not going to play video games about them. In fact, when the Pittsburgh Steelers won the Super Bowl two years ago, I think I may have been the only person in the city who didn't watch the game (although I did go out into the streets to watch people destroy things... that was more entertaining to me than the game could ever have been.)

Aside from sports, there aren't really any genres that I passionately hate, although I'm not really a huge fan of adventure games or RPGs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 11:47 pm 

rurounijf wrote:
Amex_Yohko wrote:
Sports.....

I second this and for the same reasoning. I'm one of those people who couldn't possibly care less about sports in real life so I'm obviously not going to play video games about them. In fact, when the Pittsburgh Steelers won the Super Bowl two years ago, I think I may have been the only person in the city who didn't watch the game (although I did go out into the streets to watch people destroy things... that was more entertaining to me than the game could ever have been.)

Aside from sports, there aren't really any genres that I passionately hate, although I'm not really a huge fan of adventure games or RPGs.

Sport games are fun if you play it with friends, and I like sport games to that extent, because if you play it by yourself, you will get bored real fast... I also like sports in real life, that's why some of the sports game appeal to me, but other than that, most genres interest me, but the least favorite of mine would probably have to be uh.....I don't know actually...

I have games that I dont like at all, but I still play games in every genre, and I can find a good one in each...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 17th, 2007, 12:28 am 
Lurker

Even when just messing around while playing against friends, I still can't tolerate realistic sports games. They either have to defy the laws of physics (NFL Blitz) or just be completely ridiculous (Wii Tennis.) Playing Blitz still annoyed me, too, because we played the very first Blitz title on the Nintendo 64... so playing that meant we weren't playing Perfect Dark. Wii Tennis is tight, although it can get out of hand, haha. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 17th, 2007, 10:23 am 

Animedude35 wrote:

Sport games are fun if you play it with friends, and I like sport games to that extent, because if you play it by yourself, you will get bored real fast...

Competition is the root of all sporting events. Single player makes good practice, however.

I have a dislike of MMORPGs. Of course, I haven't played WoW yet. MMORPGs I've played are Ragnarok Online, Runescape, and Rising Force.
By experience, I don't like MMORPGs because of the lack of actual role-play. There are role-player only worlds, which I've yet to try, and to which I'm quite critical of. MMORPGs just seem to be created much more like sports games, where you compete with a lot of people in a shared setting, except being warped into a long, endless, and brutal cycle of hunting and looting that has little to do with skill and rewards only those who have invested considerable time and effort for a game that has no definitive end, rather than console RPGs with a strong emphasis on narrative and setting. Besides, I try to have a life.

I can't remember the last puzzle game I've played.

@addict:

2D fighters are much less reliant on button combos. You could just mash all the buttons and do something cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 17th, 2007, 5:11 pm 
Lurker

Dei wrote:
2D fighters are much less reliant on button combos. You could just mash all the buttons and do something cool.

As a former tournament player in a few different 2D games, this statement made me die a little bit inside. Both parts, actually, not just the second sentence. Games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear are all about combos, I'm not sure where you are getting your impression from. Other games (Alpha 3, Third Strike, Capcom vs. SNK 2) focus more heavily on footsies and poking, but the concept of hit-confirming your combos is still huge in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 9:58 am 

Now that people have brought it up, I've never played a sports game, ever, well beside Mario Baseball for the old Gameboy. I go with if I wanted to play sports I'd go out with my friends for FREE and do so rather then sit at home and pay fifty bucks to do so.

As for fighting games, no body bad mouth Guilty Gear, I love that series It's one of the few where button mashing with only a vague idea of what each button does actually works. Plus the music rocks, literally.

As for MMORPGS, agreed story is to thin to be enjoyable with no other point then to mess around. And given that for most of them you either have to pay for the internet blocking your phone line or pay a monthly fee most of the time both. In short I'm stingy I wait for games to be out for a year or two to buy them at 1o bucks and think 20 buks is on the expensive side. Second I play games for the generally interesrting story lines. So you get the reason why I forgot completely about that genre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 2:18 pm 
Lurker

The Adict wrote:
As for fighting games, no body bad mouth Guilty Gear, I love that series It's one of the few where button mashing with only a vague idea of what each button does actually works. Plus the music rocks, literally.

No, it really doesn't. I don't see how you can hope to manage something against people who will use FRCs and Dead Angles to do 50% combos on you when you are simply mashing buttons. In older versions of the game (#Reload and before) some characters like Sol and Dizzy had really easy combos you could do for big damage (Sol's Dust Loop alone could do around 35%+ on a lot of characters with half a dozen simple mix-ups), but mashing buttons would still get you absolutely nowhere with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 12:36 am 
Regular

rurounijf wrote:
No, it really doesn't. I don't see how you can hope to manage something against people who will use FRCs and Dead Angles to do 50% combos on you when you are simply mashing buttons. In older versions of the game (#Reload and before) some characters like Sol and Dizzy had really easy combos you could do for big damage (Sol's Dust Loop alone could do around 35%+ on a lot of characters with half a dozen simple mix-ups), but mashing buttons would still get you absolutely nowhere with them.

From my experiences with 2D fighters, there's 4 general levels of player skill:

1. Unskilled. These are usually people who have just started playing 2D fighters and have little to no idea of how they actually play. They may wiggle the stick, push a few buttons, but they usually have no idea of basic tactics such as how to block, how to attack and how to perform special moves. People don't usually stay in this category for long; they either improve their skills quickly, or stop playing the game altogether.

2. Button Masher. Almost all 2D fighter players will go through this stage at some point. They've generally worked out what are the mechanics of the game, but instead of approaching the game with a strategy, they generally just mash all the buttons randomly and hope for the best. Ironically, button mashers can sometimes win against skilled players and the computer AI because button mashers tend to be extremely random in their attack patterns, which can confuse their opponents.

3. Skilled. By this stage, the player understands how the game works. They know how to attack, defend and to pull off special moves. They don't randomly press buttons anymore; each button press is to attack, move or perform a special move. Skilled players usually have a favorite character by this point, and they are frequently skilled in the use of more than one character.

4. Expert. Expert players move beyond the Skilled players by studying the game as a whole (also known as the metagame). By observing the way their opponent plays, they know the kind of strategy they are using (e.g. turtler, combo monster) and know the appropriate counter-strategy. Expert players usually know ALL the special moves and combos used by every single character in the game; it is thus extremely difficult to beat them since they are likely to know every single character's strengths and weaknesses and how to respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 6:36 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
Besides sports,I also never enjoys any racing titles.Most of them are just "car management" games rather than racing such as buying spoilers,skits,engines and many more.It just more like Barbie for boys,you manage to changes a car than a girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 10:28 am 

Okay then how come when by Zaxares description I'm about a low level skilled player that I keep getting my butt kicked, beside the fact I can only usually get a game to block half the time.

Any way about racing, I like the old arcade racer types like burnout. If I wanted to average fourty miles per hour in a race and trick out my car out the wazzu I'd go do it in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 6:40 pm 
Lurker

Zaxares wrote:
Ironically, button mashers can sometimes win against skilled players and the computer AI because button mashers tend to be extremely random in their attack patterns, which can confuse their opponents.

Maybe I'm being elitist, but if you lose to people who are mashing, then you are not a skilled player. Mashers are the easiest people in the world to fight against because one thing they don't do is block. Instead, while mashing, they always end up throwing out ridiculous unsafe moves, which any decent player will be able to punish. Heck, against most mashers all you need is to score one knockdown and you win. Once you get a knockdown, you can just use the same move over and over again on wake-up until you achieve victory. If the masher finally figures out how to block, then you just start to throw.

When skilled players see that they are up against a masher, they don't think, "Oh no, this could get tough because those attacks are so random." Instead they think, "It looks like I have an easy OCV on my hands."

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 8:14 pm 
Regular

rurounijf wrote:
Maybe I'm being elitist, but if you lose to people who are mashing, then you are not a skilled player. Mashers are the easiest people in the world to fight against because one thing they don't do is block. Instead, while mashing, they always end up throwing out ridiculous unsafe moves, which any decent player will be able to punish. Heck, against most mashers all you need is to score one knockdown and you win. Once you get a knockdown, you can just use the same move over and over again on wake-up until you achieve victory. If the masher finally figures out how to block, then you just start to throw.

This is true, but still, I have met Button Mashers who were strangely difficult to beat, at least until I figured out their preferences. For example, one Masher I encountered tended to use fireball moves because of the way he was moving the stick. As I was playing a grappler, it made it extremely difficult for me to get in close (this was from a game where there wasn't a 'roll' move to allow grapplers to get in close), but once I managed to get him within arm's reach, he went down easy.

Another scenario I encounter is when the Button Masher picks characters that are ridiculously overpowered (e.g. boss/secret characters), and they're able to keep you at bay because their normal attacks/special moves are so much more powerful than yours that it can make up for the difference in your skills levels.

Adict: It also depends a lot on WHERE you play. At game arcades, the average player you find there tends to be Skilled or Expert, because people with lower skill levels than that lose too much money and soon stop playing. If you're playing among friends, you'll get a more diverse range of opponents.