Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Valkyria Chronicles
PostPosted: October 25th, 2008, 12:56 am 
Post Master

The demo for Valkyria Chronicles came out on PSN yesterday. It is seriously fucking awesome.

The battle system is similar to Eternal Sonata, but better. You get a command point (character action) for every player you have on the field, but you can use one unit more than once. Every time you use a character, the amount of action points you start with decreases for that character in the phase you're in (your turn). Action points are composed in a bar at the bottom of the screen, and it tells you how much you can maneuver and the bar goes down as you walk. While you are maneuvering, enemies can shoot you, so you're going to want to be careful. You can take cover behind stuff, which makes you immune to headshots and critical damage and makes it harder for them to hit you. When you want to shoot, you press R1 and you enter an over-the-shoulder shooting mode and position your crosshair depending on how broad the range is. There are like 7 different character classes as well as tanks. Tanks are cool.

The graphics look very hand-drawn. They use cel shading and a diagonal line filter on the shaded parts, and the character designs look exactly like a modern anime.

It's hard to explain this game. Here's a less-crappy explanation:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/senjoun ... lt;title;0

To sum it up: It is a turn-based RPG crossed with an RTS, with great execution. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Post subject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles
PostPosted: October 25th, 2008, 6:03 pm 
Resident Scholar

gamespot.com wrote:
Apparently one of the characters will be much more useful if he is surrounded by women

:mrgreen:

This sounds so damn Japanese... :lol:

Is there a video that one could watch?

Of course, there is:

Overall it looks really good, but I don't quite like this mix of 3D and anime graphics. I'd say do it in 3D or do it in proper 2D Anime-style.
But I do admit that these tanks are cool.
Last but not least, the tankers' uniforms are based off some pre-war German design, and I'd say that "1935 Europe era" (like said in the gamespot article) is a bit early. Make that early 40s. :wink:

Hahaha, Alicia's voice is Inoue Marina. I like that. She's becoming more popular than Hirano Aya and she deserves it. :D
Isara: Kuwashima Hôko.
Rosey: Toyoguchi Megumi. (Levy is always welcome...)
Eleanor: Tanaka Atsuko (Major Kusanagi Motoko is back!)

This voicecast is so hot I could get seriously aroused...
No, not really, but for the first time I wish I had a Playstation, to play (and listen to!) that particular game.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2008, 12:25 am 
Post Master

The game has already won over the critics.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/senjoun ... bs;reviews

Can't... wait.. I might actually have to shell out the $60 for this one. The most I've spent on a game during my employment lifetime (9 months, over 100 games?) has been $40, even with my 15 PS3 games.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 9:35 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Have you picked up Valkyria Chronicles yet Mmsven? I'm about 5 hours in now, and it's pretty sweet. My roommate and I are tackling it together, and we keep switching off every turn while fighting. It's actually really well done. I wasn't sure of how the fighting system would be at first, since playing strategy games like Final Fantasy Tactics can take a long time to get through a battle since you have to move a bunch of people yourself and then the computer has to move each of theirs. Well, it does take a rather long time for some of them, I think one of the battles took 45 minutes, but it's so well done that you actually just want to keep on fighting. Or as the case may be, get to the next fight. Though the main characters is a bit of a fruit cake with all his nature love talk :doh: At least that woman of his is pretty hot :mrgreen:

I would say more, but I really have to get to sleep! 7:30am.... arg!!! :crap:

PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 4:48 pm 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
Have you picked up Valkyria Chronicles yet Mmsven?

I want to use the EB deal to grab it. 2 games worth $8 each + $10 gets any new release of november. I have some crap that is hopefully worth $8 to them.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 7:33 pm 
Resident Scholar

As of next month, April 4th, there's gonna be an Anime of this title with the exact same voice cast... :yummy:
My mouth is wetting in anticipation!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 8:03 am 

42317 wrote:
As of next month, April 4th, there's gonna be an Anime of this title with the exact same voice cast... :yummy:
My mouth is wetting in anticipation!

I'm sure you'd be very happy if Radiodramas became once again en vogue in Europe...

PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 7:05 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
I'm sure you'd be very happy if Radiodramas became once again en vogue in Europe...

There are Japanese webradio stations with Anime and Seiyû topics, and I do collect audio dramas the voice cast of which I like, but so far those are rare or rather hard to get. :sigh: