Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tenchi Muyô! Game-hen (SNES)
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2009, 7:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

I've been playing... the Tenchi Muyô Game-hen ("Game Version") on SNES emulator!
Pretty simple game with a few glitches, but it has utterances from the original Seiyû, so it's good enough for me. :lol2:
These utterances (not all of them are sentences) are in Japanese, but the written texts have been translated into English.

In the beginning, Sasami gets abducted by a green-haired girl and her minions. In pursuit you cross the carrot field, Mihoshi's space ship, the river, and the forest, and enter the enemy spaceship, all the while making experience points by beating up hostile creatures. Then you fight your way through the space ship to defeat the girl, only to learn that she has a superior - some crazy blue-haired chick from the whatsitcalled Galactic Science Academy and a declared rival of Washu, named Kusumi. Fleeing defeat, Kusumi then takes Ryôko, you chase her again to find out that she cloned Ryôko. You defeat the clones and retrieve Ryôko, but that's still not the end...

You can take four characters into a fight, and there are melee fighters (like grandpa/Yosho), ranged fighters (like Mihoshi with her gun and bombs), and healers (like Sasami). In a more advanced game, melee fighters would have a higher chance of dodging an attack, or they would have better armor - not so in this game. Character abilities decide whether an attack is ranged or melee, only the attack value decides how strong the blow will be, and only the defense value decides how much gets subtracted from the maximum damage.
Tenchi is the only melee character that's worth being sent into a multitude of enemies because he has a roundhouse sword attack, hitting all of the eight squares around him (somehow always avoiding friendlies though) - a good option to concentrate XP on him, as some people prefer the "Champion Approach", whereas I like equal levelling of all characters.

There are several characters who act as healers: Aeka, Sasami, Washu, and Azaka (Aeka's "red" log bodyguard). Sasami, Washu, and Azaka enter the game after or late in the first stage, so I only had Aeka trained to a certain level. I wanted to mix in the others to give them some XP, too, but I had to realize that only the one who makes the kill does actually receive points. That means that if Mihoshi blasts away 199 of the opponent's 200 lifepoints and Sasami then strikes him lightly with a frying pan, enough to do 1 point of damage, Sasami gets all the experience for the kill.
It would have been nicer to give an equal amount of experience points to all the involved characters - or calculate their share, or whatever. This way you have to be careful in what order to strike a target - and that order can get messed up by initiative rolls.

Speaking of Mihoshi: None of the characters ever missed in an attack except for her. I dare say that at least a fifth of her attacks miss the target, which is a bother. I haven't made out any compensating perks of hers yet.

Washu has the interesting ability "Cheer", which makes a character's strength grow by almost 100 %. It only works once per fight and character, the effect lasts until the fight is over, and it helps a bit with the XP distribution business.

Azaka and Kamidake are... slow. They only move one square per turn, so it's actually better to let the enemy take initiative in case you don't want to stretch the group too wide, like, out of support/healing range.

Enemy minions respawn. Every few turns, another one pops up, adding to the XP pool. Theoretically, I haven't tried yet, a fight can go on forever, if you leave one alive long enough for the next one to appear.

Ranged attacks seem to not work across water... but I haven't fully examined water options.

It would have been nice if characters that join the team later already had a higher level. In the third chapter your favorite fighters will be level 7/8, so what should you do with level 1/2 people? Better hope you never need them since you cannot return to earlier areas to train them. There's no point in choosing level 1 Ryô-Ôki for a fight if he bites away only 3 of a robot's 120 lifepoints and gets defeated with a single punch... so these later characters are kinda lost for the game. I have to wonder why they're in there.

Graphics are cute and so are the comments that got tossed in, to my delight.
Despite its flaws I find it entertaining, more entertaining than, say, the Ranma RPG "Akanekodan Teki Hihô" ("Mystery of the Red Cats Gang"?). I mean, it's nice that they give each character a handful of different attacks (of different power) plus the same number of other attacks if morphed (you might remember that all the characters have "battle appearances"), but the distribution of the experience points can become a tactical endeavor.

Post subject: Re: Tenchi Muyô! Game-hen (SNES)
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2009, 10:47 pm 
Lurker

Wow i didn't even know Tenchi had any video games i'll have to check it out. :)

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 1:01 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Being a huge Tenchi fan myself, I have got to check this game out someday. I'll probably download a SNES emulator on my laptop and download it from there (along with several other titles including that one Sailor Moon RPG game that looks pretty good).

42317 wrote:
Speaking of Mihoshi: None of the characters ever missed in an attack except for her. I dare say that at least a fifth of her attacks miss the target, which is a bother. I haven't made out any compensating perks of hers yet

That's Mihoshi for ya! Everyone's favorite clutz and it's not very surprising if she does that in the game. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 2:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

I have to add there is at least one situation in which you'll have to field two teams in discrete fights - therefore you'd better make sure to roam the first stage long enough for another four people to level up along with your fav characters.
I was only able to save the day with Washu's "Cheer" and because of levelling grandpa earlier out of curiosity.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2009, 6:20 pm 
Resident Scholar

I finished the game with Tenchi, Aeka, Sasami and grandpa being the troops, each on level 8.
Sasami got knocked out by a crit lightning bolt by Kusumi, which was a pity because Sasami is a hell of a healer, with "Heal every friendly in range" spells for each her Sasami and her Pretty Sammy appearance. But subsequent high-level attacks from Aeka, Tenchi and grandpa brought her to her knees.
And again the fight would have been way more difficult, if Kusumi wouldn't just stand there and refuse to support her not really powerless but still inferior minions - *SIGH*!

This way, I guess I got the quick solution - training a hard core of fighters with which eventually to beat the end boss. Training several characters so there might be a sort of parity among them might be interesting as well, but you need to pay attention to them in each of the game stages (around Tenchi's house, in Mizuki's space ship, on the trip to Kusumi's lair, and finally in Kusumi's lab). If you don't train a character in one stage you might as well forget all about her/him in the next.

I had Ryôko trained to level 5 before she was captured, and she beat Mizuki easily. But being captured she missed a good number of fights and XP, and when she was finally back (the four people I mentioned were level 8 by then) any monster could take her out with two normal strikes, and that's a bit weak. Chances of levelling such a character are small, and with the minimal damage she would do I'd need to be extra careful in striking the enemy with the other guys not too hard, so Ryôko could swipe off the remaining handful of life points.

Not having Ryôko around as an effective fighter is a major drawback since she moves fast and has ranged attacks. Her first replacement, Mihoshi, had the same advantages, but with her "miss" rate I kicked her out of the team and put her on reserve, her place then being taken by grandpa. That guy's pretty strong, but only his Yosho alter ego has ranged attacks, which is bothersome. As Katsuhito he is confined to melee and a rather slow movement rate...still faster than the logs, but at least Kamidake does have an area attack.

Last but not least, Kiyone is absent from the game, due to it being the game version of the first OVA.
Too bad... she's my favorite Tenchi girl. :cry:

It's a fun game, if you like Tenchi Muyô. But I find the replay motivation rather low since there are no alternative possibilities to explore besides a change of favorited characters.