Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange Internet problems with Vista
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 7:29 pm 
Regular

So I recently upgraded my PC and decided to go with Vista to "future-proof" my PC against more upgrades in the future. Vista's actually been running quite well for a number of weeks, but recently, another problem has cropped up which I believe is due to Vista. Sometimes, my Internet connection will suddenly stop working for no discernable reason. I can't access websites, MSN Messenger, or any games requiring the Internet, even though the modem and router are still saying they're connected and working.

Even more interesting, my old PC (which is hooked up to the router) can still access the Internet when the Vista PC can't, so that leads me to believe the fault is with Vista itself.

Once this happens, nothing will get the Internet working for the Vista PC again until I reboot the PC (simply logging off won't do anything).

It doesn't happen that often, but it's damn annoying (like last night when the connection abruptly disappeared when I was almost about to complete a lengthy GW quest). Any ideas what might be causing it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 7:50 pm 
Major Contributor

Have you tried disabling the TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)?

To do so, type in "Control Panel\System" or Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties"

In the System window click on "Device Manager" on the left tab. Find and expand the tab for "Network Adapters" and right click on your Ethernet controller and choose "Properties." Go to the "Advanced" tab and you should see "TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)" in the selection box. Click on it and disable it.

Another thing you could try is to update your Ethernet controller drivers, if an update is available.

Also what router are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 5:28 am 
Regular

Um, it's some cheapo router that I picked up from some garage sale a while back. The name on the router says: DCL EH-505P.

After I posted my initial message earlier, I went and did some further research. One other solution that was recommended to me was to disable the automatic power-saving mode for the controllers. I did that, and it hasn't crashed again, so I'll see if that works. If it doesn't, I'll try your solution.