Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PS3...is it worth it?
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 12:00 am 
Major Contributor

As I ask in my subject, I'd like to know if PS3 is worth the $600 MSRP. Dei's thread about Metal Gear Solid 4 got me wondering about it, but I felt I should give my question a separate thread. I'm curious because I believe Silent Hill 5 was confirmed during the recent E3 event or whatever that is. I'm a fan of the Silent Hill series, should I get a PS3 for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 1:17 am 
Major Contributor

I would have to say no. Even with it being $500 now in North America (until the 80 GB model gets here anyway) the only games that I would get it for at this point are Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Virtua Fighter 5 and neither of those games are really games that showcase the power or capability of the PS3. I think the problem with the PS3 at this point is that too many of their third party games are also coming to the Xbox 360. Now if you don't own a 360 already, then the PS3 suddenly becomes more attractive as for the extra $200 you get a decent Bluray player, much more flexible storage options (i.e. external hard drives), blue-tooth, built-in wifi and better USB compatibility.

However, if you're purely into the PS3 for games, then no at this point I would say it's not worth the $600 price point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 1:20 am 

For now the only worth the PS3 is MGS4 in my opinion...cause everything else is on all other systems...PS3 has lost a lot of exclusivity like they had with the PS2...like Silent Hill which is for 360 too...
Grand Theft Auto and Devil May Cry are coming out for other systems as well...like the 360...or Manhunt 2 for the Wii....
And even Square-Enix said they`re not gonna be exclusive this time around....like they were with the PS2...

They do have Gran Turismo and such...but I think they are all the same...

My opinion of course..

Still...MGS4 looks amazing...so maybe wait by than...which will be like next year...and grab a PS3....hopefully cheaper...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 3:12 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Probably not at this point. Not enough games, not enough good games, not enough exclusive games especially for the price tag. <=== This coming from a huge play station fanboy :lol: I will probably end up having to get one when FF13 comes out, but until that happens I am waiting on the sidelines and waiting for the price to drop more. Just play some comp games or X-Box and wait for something you really want, with a reasonable price. Sadly Sony seems to have dropped the ball on this whole PS3 deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 7:27 am 

Pre-current console era, I anticipated that Sony would lag behind the competition. Wii had motion sensitivity, XBOX had, and still has, the best online support. Sony had raw power - which, at this point, still hasn't been utilized. A lot of games for the PS3 are also out on the XBOX, and, at times, look even better in XBOX. Publishers often write for the system with the largest market first, then port it to other platforms. Hence, aside from the inefficiencies of the original code, additional bugs come from the porting.

However, like I said in my thread, I think the PS3 is worth it just for Metal Gear. I don't know if Konami will release Metal Gear on XBOX, like they did last gen, so keep hoping XBOX owners. Keep hoping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 11:33 am 

I have to say no. The PS3 atthis point is not worth buying. Mean it's 500 dollars!!! Beside the price tag as of yet the PS3 doesn't really have a show case game, not proper wording I know I'm sorry. Mean 360 as Dead or Alive 4, Halo 3 and a few other head line game, Wii has Wii sports and Legend of Zelda but the PS3 has nothing that you can't get on one of the cheaper consels. Also the 3 party publishers seem to have wisened up and figured out that compition means better profits for them. Added to all of this the I'm not really expecting much out of the new consoles graphic wise that the old consles are capable of. Mean God of War 2 cam out with cut scene graphics on par with Xbox. Beggin the question just how powerful were the old systems. That being said if after six years they still couldn't bring outthe full potential of their systems then PS3's graphic superority is probably not goign to come into play until much much later in the concole war if ever. Added to that it costs nearly twice as much as the compition yet has half off the gaming library with no outstanding games.

You get the picture, but to me it's to early to speculate on which console is goign to be the best. Right now to me its the Wii, amazing back libary, solid titles and such fun to play. But the same was said for the cube early on too. Personally I'm not touching a PS3 until the price come down below $300 or everything start getting sold in blue ray neither of which is going to happen for many years I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 8:20 pm 

I'd honestly buy a PS3 now, specifically the 60GB version. Those models still have the Emotion Engine to play PS2 games without emulation. FYI, the PS3 uses laptop harddrives which you can replace yourselves. Next year will be a big, big year for Sony, with Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear coming out. Tekken should be arriving soon, too.

I'm personally exhausted with a lot of PS titles. I've been playing FF, MGS, and Tekken since PSOne. They better get new exclusives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 9:12 pm 
Major Contributor

I dunno if it's worth it either. If I do get it, the main selling point's going to be SH5. Even then I don't expect it out soon because it was only just announced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2007, 3:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

A friend of mine had pre-ordered a PS3 but at some point he decided to cancel it and by a Wii instead and he said he'll probably never regret that change of opinion. The PS3 might be cool has hell but the price they ask is just too out-there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2007, 6:42 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I wonder how much a PS3 would have ended up costing if they hadn't made it with the Blu Ray player? You would have ended up with a system that you wanted for a better price, without a Blu Ray player you may or may not have wanted in the first place. Probably would have been a better move, especially since I think the 1 year delay was caused because of the Blu Ray stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but if I want a movie player I am going to get a high quality one, not use the crappy one on a console.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2007, 3:43 am 

Not sure about that.....

I think a PS3 plays Blu-Ray movies as well as the next Blu-Ray player. And its a lot cheaper than one. And does more. So the PS3 does have some appeal as a cheap Blu-Ray player that does more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2007, 4:43 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
I wonder how much a PS3 would have ended up costing if they hadn't made it with the Blu Ray player? You would have ended up with a system that you wanted for a better price, without a Blu Ray player you may or may not have wanted in the first place. Probably would have been a better move, especially since I think the 1 year delay was caused because of the Blu Ray stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but if I want a movie player I am going to get a high quality one, not use the crappy one on a console.

Well even without a built-in BD drive, the PS3 probably would have still cost in the $500 range because of cell.

I mean Sony was going to be selling the consoles at a loss either way, but since they included the BD drive, it at least has allowed Blu-ray to outpace HD-DVD in the high-def format wars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2007, 8:14 pm 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
I think PS3 will be the best next-gen console ever.I already saw few screens of upcoming PS3 games and it was awesome.Even better than most current XBOX 360 games.

The only thing I don't like about PS3 is its killing the PS2.Bully,Final Fantasy XII and God of War 2 are the last great games for PS2 and I expect no more of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2007, 9:12 am 

I wouldn't be so sure of that, remember the ps1 still had a number of good games coming out for it well into the PS2's run so I'm expecting the same for the ps2. Added to the fact that they sold more PS2 then all the comition including the dreamcast combined, I don't think Sony is going to be stupid enough to let the cahs cow die just yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2007, 9:20 pm 

Dreamcast... such a waste...