Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good bosses
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 10:01 pm 
Regular

Who would you consider to be a good final boss in a videogame? Post a boss, what game they were in, and what made them a good boss.

Here's the first one:

1. Sigma- Megaman X (the original)

What made him a good boss- What I liked about Sigma was he didn't speak much but had a lot of charisma. He also was a tough but fair boss, and his transformation freaked me out the first time I saw it. Also, he sicks his dog on you :D That's cool!

2. Salazar- Resident evil 4

What made him a good boss- He's a crazy half-pint with a castle full of freaks, cultists, and bugs...and he's even freakier when he becomes a boss! Add that to the insta-death jaw thrusts, the tentacles, and the big eye you have to shoot, not to mention the comments he makes while you try to shoot him, and you have one awesome boss.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 11:45 pm 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
Most bosses in Grandia 3(PS3)

They provides me most entertaining boss battles ever.Maybe because of its battle systems perhaps.

Post subject: Re: Good bosses
PostPosted: November 10th, 2007, 8:30 am 
Regular

Cab329 wrote:
1. Sigma- Megaman X (the original)

What made him a good boss- What I liked about Sigma was he didn't speak much but had a lot of charisma. He also was a tough but fair boss, and his transformation freaked me out the first time I saw it. Also, he sicks his dog on you :D That's cool!

Little known fact, but Sigma's final form was actually a direct copy from another earlier NES Capcom game called Street Fighter 2010. (The SF2010 last boss was also WAY harder than Sigma's last form...)

Hmmm... Good bosses...

1. Shredder (First time you meet him) - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 (NES).

I guess this boss fight stood out because the previous TMNT games set up a precedent of Shredder always being the last boss. So when you meet him about 2/3 of the way through the game, you thought "Wait, I'm at the end of the game already?" This version of Shredder had a much greater focus on martial arts and sword-fighting, which made for a refreshing change from previous games (in which he was always relying upon technological gadgets or chemical concoctions).

He escapes after your little tussle with him, and you end up facing him again in the final battle. (Ironically, the final boss Shredder is far easier than the first time you face him.)

2. GLaDOS - Portal (PC)

Without spoiling anything, I just have to say that this was probably one of the most memorable boss fights in any game I've played. Your character has no offensive capability whatsoever, so you have to come up with an inventive way to destroy GLaDOS. GLaDOS' taunts and insults as you battle her are also extremely funny.

3. Malefic - Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (PC)

You face Malefic as the final boss in this expansion pack to Doom 3. All I will say is that if you've ever wondered what it would be like to fight a dragon in a FPS-game with a rocket launcher, this game will satisfy that craving.

4. The Transcendent One - Planescape: Torment (PC)

This has to be the only last boss in ANY game where you can defeat him just by talking to him. (And in fact, the game ending where you beat him by talking him into letting you merge with him is considered to be the canon ending.) However, battling the Transcendent One into submission is also just as satisfying, and he's a decently powerful opponent too.

5. Sephiroth - Final Fantasy VII (PC)

You can't be a gamer and not say that the One Winged Angel is not one of the most awesome last bosses you've ever met. :D

6. Aribeth de Tylmarande - Neverwinter Nights (PC)

You're fighting a beautiful elven fallen paladin who also happens to be your love interest. I swear, the first time I fought her I was doing my darndest not to use my most powerful spells because I didn't want to kill her by accident. I was THAT attached to her. (Then I found out there's a script that prevents her from taking lethal damage before she has her final monologue...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2007, 5:05 pm 

Hmmm interesting topic...

I`d say most bosses from Metroid Prime 2...they were more fun than the first game...

Ah that dragon from the Sky Temple in Twlight Princess...I actually had that saved to fight it a few more times...

Ha bowser in Mario 3 and Super Mario World...he was fun too back than...

I know I have a fav....but to remember all the games I've played is hard...I should make a list and post again later on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2007, 6:17 pm 
Regular

Lavos- Chrono Trigger

What made him a good boss-The guy never said a word, but he was just awesome due to the fact he was just there to destroy. Not to mention the fact that you could fight him whenever you wanted and had to go into the carcass of his first form to fight his other forms. Also, you have to admit the final form where you travel through time and have to smack down his fighting form again and again so you can get at the rejuvenating crystal was pretty epic.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2007, 11:50 am 

Most Bosses from Grandian II

They were hard and took a far deal of strategy to beat even with prep. As an RPG boss should be!

Alma - Ninja Gaiden

Not only is she nearly naked, she can cut off your rear, fry it and force feed you it before you can blink if you don't pay attention. Also even though she's bloody hard she's not cheap or unfair just very very hard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21st, 2007, 8:57 am 
Lurker

The final boss of Mushihimesama Futari. Umm... well difficulty wise anyway. I'd rather not explain it in words but show you an example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nscP9QpXoFM

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21st, 2007, 10:28 am 

Odin Sphere's last boss.... you climb a goddamn dragon. I don't think theres many games where you have to climb a damn dragon and smash its horn off. While lightning rains upon you and hits head comes down and sprays you with a hyper beam every now and then.

There were some cool boss fights here and there, but the fact you gotta fight them again and again playing with the different characters kinda waters them down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21st, 2007, 12:09 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
xx0xNEiTHx0xx wrote:
The final boss of Mushihimesama Futari. Umm... well difficulty wise anyway. I'd rather not explain it in words but show you an example.

Good lord. That was one crazy ass boss battle. Fricking purple stuff all over the screen the whole time and the constant screaming/yelling. Insanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21st, 2007, 8:26 pm 
Regular

Acmurphy wrote:
xx0xNEiTHx0xx wrote:

Good lord. That was one crazy ass boss battle. Fricking purple stuff all over the screen the whole time and the constant screaming/yelling. Insanity.

Holy... :shock: I've seen some crazy boss battles in shooters before, but this one takes the cake!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 3:24 pm 
Resident Scholar

xx0xNEiTHx0xx wrote:
The final boss of Mushihimesama Futari.

This is so typically Japanese when it comes to arcade games... how does one beat such a boss without cheating? The screen is filled with missiles, laser rays and energy bolts... sometimes it seems to completely turn purple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 7:38 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
This is so typically Japanese when it comes to arcade games... how does one beat such a boss without cheating? The screen is filled with missiles, laser rays and energy bolts... sometimes it seems to completely turn purple.

That game's a textbook example of "danmaku" games. (Danmaku apparently means "bullet hell") The whole purpose of these games is to test the player's hand-eye coordination to the utmost, since they have to watch multiple areas of the screen at once.

To compensate for this, the player's hit box (the area of the screen where enemy fire will actually count as a "hit" if it touches you) is often very small. Not having played Mushihimesama, I can't say for certain, but it's common for games like these to have a hitbox so small that only bullets passing through the direct center of the player will kill them. I'm sure you noticed there were several occasions in the video where bullets were passing through the player's wings and body, but he wasn't dying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 2:45 am 
Newcomer

BOWSER!

He was in Mario, the original Side Scroller, he was just so cool!

Also, Dr. Eggman from sonic, for the exact same reasons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2007, 6:53 am 

Some bullet hell games allow your flyer to perform some like dash moves, which allow you to pass by bullets without getting hurt. Theres an actual pattern to these games anyway, and some crazy players figure out just exactly how to move without getting hit at all eventually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 4:16 pm 

Umm okay I must be weird, because I can manage to do that in an hour or so. Then again finding paterns is one of my specialties.