Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intel vs. AMD
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 10:29 pm 

I've been out of the hardware loop ever since I decided to do all my gaming with consoles. I'll be buying a new laptop soon to help with schoolwork; so I need some tips regarding hardware.

I've been hearing rave reviews about Intel Core 2 Duo, and I've seen previews hyping the new Penryn processors using 45nm fabrication. How does the Core 2 Duo stack up against AMD X2? I'm concerned about price/performance and performance/watt figures.

The laptop doesn't need to be too powerful. I'll probably be buying a small laptop that's easy to carry (around 12"-13" screens); which I'll be using to do work (word processing and a little programming) and occasionally watch movies. Hence, portability, heat, and battery life are the main concerns. I need a processor that is very efficient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2007, 7:22 am 
Major Contributor

Core 2 Duo, is more effecient which means that frequency for frequency, Core 2 outperforms AMD. For instance, a Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz is slightly faster than an AMD X2 at 3.0 GHz. Also since Intel uses 65nm fab for Conroe and Allendale, it's cooler and overclocks higher than the 90nm K8 AMD X2.

Also the new 1333MHz FSB chips from Intel have further improvements in speed making the E6750 2.66GHz chip @ under $200 a fantastic deal.

Then there are the quad-core chips from Intel including the 2.4GHz Q6600 Kentsfield, which at $280 is a pretty damn affordable way to get into quad-core goodness, especially considering it's quite easily overclockable given a decent heatsink.

At this point, there is really no good case for getting AMD over Intel unless you have an AM2 motherboard and don't feel like dropping $150-$200 for a new Intel one. If you're going to get both a new CPU and a motherboard, Intel and Core 2 is still your best bet whether its for games, video encoding, or multimedia purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 10:47 pm 

This was an interesting read. It talks about a low end Pentium Dual-Core that, when overclocked, could compare to a high end Core 2 Duo. This looks like a decent option for a desktop. I may end up paying more for the electricity bills with the energy requirements of the overclock over just buying a higher end CPU.

I do think I'll be waiting for a Penryn processor at the sweet spot of the performance/price charts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 2:53 am 
Major Contributor

Well I would suggest you get something like the E6750 since the 4MB of L2 cache will definitely come in handy in games. Not to mention that Core 2's can easily reach 3.0+ GHz even on stock cooling and close to stock voltages. My E6400 has been sitting nicely at 3.2 GHz for over a year now and it's never had a hiccup. And a Core 2 at 3.0 GHz will blow away the lower end Dual Core at even 3.2 GHz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 9:59 am 

Anyway, speed isn't my main concern. It's a laptop CPU, so my priority is efficiency. I want to get 3 hours, at least, but I still want the performance not to dip so much from average.

Let's stray away from the processor now (and disregard the title of the thread). Anybody know how much a laptop GPU kills battery life? Are integrated graphics solutions a viable alternative for those looking to run a 3D desktop environment (like Compiz)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 11:38 pm 
Regular

I also always use tomshardware before buying cpu or gpu, their charts rocks. I compared 40 CPU when I bought my current one using mostly data from tomshardware and some game benchmarks, and I'm happy with the result, though CPU is actually almost nothing compared with the mobo capabilities. A powerfull CPU will be useless if the FSB is slow.

CPU charts: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html
GPU charts: http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

Actually the discussion here went too much on the tecnicalities when it's actually very easy:

Intel vs AMD is a interesting war, but for a LAPTOP there is no second thought. Get an Intel.

AMD overheats and uses more power than Intel if it does not have STEP (I don't know if mobile AMD has it). You don't want to get your lap overheating after 15 min using your notebook =p

For Desktops I always go AMD, they are better cost/performance, and AMD STEP technologies beats Intel big time on energy consumption. I am not aware if Intel already have STEP technology, if it does not, I will remain at AMD for a while. My AMD 64 3500 outperformed all available Intel chips on the same price range when I bought it, and when I got reason, the STEP tech also made it cheaper on my bill.

About GPU, GPU is widelly know to be the energy hunger part of any PC, so I would not advice you to get one. Even if it sit idle it will still get your battery to drop a hell faster. GPU's are meant for desktops, and the newer ones are so energy hungry they come with an external PSU :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 10:25 am 

Heat is actually a very good indicator of inefficiency. If it runs hot, that means that more of the energy is converted to heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 11:26 am 
Regular

Yeah, and all AMD cores heat the hell out. normal temp for an AMD is 70ºC, while for a Pentium is around 40ºC

AMD never managed to work around that, dunno why =/ for a desktop it's ok, but for a note it's a killer, that's probably why there are so few AMD notes out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2007, 5:56 am 

After seeing comparisons between integrated graphics and discrete solutions, I've decided to get an 8400GS. It's not gonna fly by games, naturally, but I want to have no hickups when watching DVDs and using Compiz.

An acquaintance told me that discrete graphics normally scale energy consumption according to load; and I hope that's true. I'm hoping to get 3 hours at least.

At the moment, I've decided:

Intel Core 2 Duo
8400GS
12-14" (preferrably 13")
2GB RAM
120+ GB data
6-cell battery

I like the Dell m1330. Pricey for the performance, but oh so sexy - and small. Early Christmas for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2007, 5:31 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz, what exactly do you mean by "STEP?" Are you referring to an energy-saving feature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2007, 12:46 am 
Regular

yes.

It's so funny to run microsoft games and it says "your CPU is not good enough for this game" [try anyway].

My AMD cools down to 1Ghz if I'm not doing anything CPU intensive so the game thinkgs I have a 1Ghz CPU lol.

Some system specs programs (like CPUz) show the clock in real time, it's interesting because I open it and leave it open, than I start dragging windows around and I see the CPU speeding up lol

BTW it steps down the FSB so even memory speed drops ;)

and STEP technology is around for ages, I guess microsoft never tested their games in AMD lol

Quote:
An acquaintance told me that discrete graphics normally scale energy consumption according to load; and I hope that's true.

Yes it is, at least with 7xxx+ nvidia. You will probably notice the fan going on/off when you use or not the card. My 7600GT fan is lousy as hell but thankfully it only switches on when I am a couple of minutes in a DirectX game. it's usually off or running on what seams slow speed (not noisy)