Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 21st, 2017, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 7:30 pm 

I'm working on building another comp this is what I have planned so far when I get the funds (i'm a poor college student forgive me) :p

amd 64 x-2 6000+

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB X 2 for SLI

Samsung 22 inch 2 ms LCD monitor

Gigabyte GA-M59SLI board

8 GB of OCZ ram

and a 1000w power supply

Total Cost to upgrade to a beast like the above...

$1500

Guess I better get to work... sad thing is when I do decide to upgrade the minute I power it on it's going to be obsolete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 2:40 am 
Major Contributor

Sublyminal wrote:
I'm working on building another comp this is what I have planned so far when I get the funds (i'm a poor college student forgive me) :p

amd 64 x-2 6000+

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB X 2 for SLI

Samsung 22 inch 2 ms LCD monitor

Gigabyte GA-M59SLI board

8 GB of OCZ ram

and a 1000w power supply

Total Cost to upgrade to a beast like the above...

$1500

Guess I better get to work... sad thing is when I do decide to upgrade the minute I power it on it's going to be obsolete.

I wouldn't bother with more than 4 GB of RAM. You really don't need it at this point in time. Also, a single 640MB 8800GTS is a much better idea than two 8600GTs in SLI. Less power, less hassle, and you'll get superior performance at higher resolutions. Not to mention that 1KW PSU is serious overkill. A solid 600W PSU will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 6:49 pm 

Hmmm Spaz, I think I'll go with that config then you just saved me about $500 heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 8:06 am 

Its safe to rule out the new high-end Radeon, the Radeon HD 2900, as an upgrade option for serious gamers. Tests from various sources I've read claim that the card can barely compete with the Geforce 8800 640MB GTS - at the same time being hotter, more expensive, and power hungry. The fact that the 8xxx series from Nvidia has caught up to ATI image quality, and the fact that Nvidia cards have traditionally been Linux friendly, just eliminates all reasons to buy an ATI card.

ATI-AMD seems to be sucking on both ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 1:09 am 
Major Contributor

Dei wrote:
Its safe to rule out the new high-end Radeon, the Radeon HD 2900, as an upgrade option for serious gamers. Tests from various sources I've read claim that the card can barely compete with the Geforce 8800 640MB GTS - at the same time being hotter, more expensive, and power hungry. The fact that the 8xxx series from Nvidia has caught up to ATI image quality, and the fact that Nvidia cards have traditionally been Linux friendly, just eliminates all reasons to buy an ATI card.

ATI-AMD seems to be sucking on both ends.

Yeah and I was prepared to sell my 8800GTS so I could get one (as powerful as the card is, nvidia drivers still need some work). I don't mind the power requirements or the heat (I can always use after-market coolers) but the performance is a little disappointing. However, the card clearly is driver limited. Right now I'm waiting patiently for HD2950XT and 8900GTS.

What's more disappointing is that ATI's anisotrophic filtering is actually a little bit rougher than nvidia's. But the AA is a little better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 5:55 am 

One thing ATI needs to do: scrap Ruby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 12:11 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Just upgraded myself to 1.1 terabytes over 3 hard drives. Now I just have to sit and wait for my computer to explode :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 4:32 pm 

Very nice, lol, I need to upgrade my mobo cuz the one I have Abit IB9 sucks ass, and it was only bought because my old mobo crashed and burn on me :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 9:55 pm 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
Just upgraded myself to 1.1 terabytes over 3 hard drives. Now I just have to sit and wait for my computer to explode :shock:

Welcome to the Terabyte club . . . (I myself joined several monthes ago - 1.5 TB over 4 drives, two of then external)

You'd be surprised how quickly that fills up. Right now I only have about 300 GB left out of that 1.5 TB total . . . :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 10:12 pm 
Regular

spazmaster666 wrote:
You'd be surprised how quickly that fills up. Right now I only have about 300 GB left out of that 1.5 TB total . . . :lol:

What on earth are you people storing on those hard drives?? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 10:21 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
spazmaster666,

Oh I know it'll fill up fast. I expanded from 120 gigs to 660 gigs and in a couple months I had filled it up, thus why I expanded again. Just seems that as long as you have space, you will find stuff to fill it up with.

Zaxares,

Oh various stuff. I have been downloading the complete Doctor Who series, and suffice to say it is huge. I have a problem with downloading stuff way faster than I watch it. Though I have that same problem with the stuff I buy. Out of my anime collection of ~1000 DVD's, I have only watched about 600... I really need to stop slacking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 4:11 am 
Major Contributor

Zaxares wrote:
What on earth are you people storing on those hard drives?? :shock:

Fan subs, DVD rips, and of course TV shows I ripped off of my DVR. Not to mention I have a ton of uncompressed linear PCM audio on there which also takes up a whole lot of space. That and about twenty or so games which I keep installed on my system at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 8:48 am 

I thought this thread had died. I guess I'm also at fault for forgetting to post that I added a 250 GB HD to my system a while back. I also installed Ubuntu Linux. Its been like learning how to swim again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 6:59 am 
Newcomer

I'm not a PC gamer either, so these are my laptop specs:

15.4" screen
Pentium M 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
XP Pro SP2
60 GB hard drive built-in
DVD/CD-RW drive

I have a whole bunch of other hard drives in enclosures (1x 250 GB, 2x 40 GB, 1x 160 GB, 1x 80 GB) plus 80 GB, 200 GB, 200 GB, and 8 GB in other PCs/devices that use hard drives or just sitting in a box (the 8 GB drive is in a box).

It's hard to keep track of which hard drive has what on it. Some of them even have redundant data on them... like I'll find a file on one that'll also be on another one or two other drives. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 7:38 am 
Resident Scholar

Man, is this THE poser thread or what? 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next