Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bioshock - PC Version
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 2:37 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, I have been kicking around buying Bioshock, a new first person shooter that is out, but would like to hear how anyone that has played it likes it. I have also read about a DRM issue with the game (PC version only) that will only allow you to install the game 5 times or something like that as a way of fighting piracy. Just wanting to hear some thoughts before I go and buy the game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 2:43 am 
Post Master

Make sure your video card supports ShaderModel 3.0, it is required. My friend has a decent card, the Ati Radion x800 gto, but for some reason it doesn't support sm3. He was pretty pissed. I am not going to get it just yet because my computer will get raped. Look at these nutty requirements:

Minimum System Requirements
System: Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1024 MB
Video Memory: 128 MB
Hard Drive Space: 8000 MB

Recommended System Requirements
System: Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
RAM: 2048 MB
Video Memory: 512 MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 6:11 am 
Major Contributor

The DRM thing is annoying but it only refers to the fact that you can only have it installed on 5 machines at the same time. Once you uninstall one copy from a machine you can then reinstall it on another machine (basically you have to activate it every time you install it and the activation is only good on five machines simultaneously.)

I played the hell out of the 360 version (finished my first run on hard in two days with three six hour sessions) And now I'm going back and finishing up the achievements before playing it again for the alternate endings.

Haven't played the full version of the PC version, but I have played the PC demo and the graphics, especially if you have Vista and a DX10 card do look great and run pretty well even at 1920x1200 on high settings, though it does slow down at times. Bringing the res down to 1600x1200 was helpful for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2007, 7:00 am 
Resident Admin

Hm, well my graphic's card does have the Shadermodel stuff, but I don't know how well it would run on my computer overall. I mean, it will run alright, but I don't think it would run as well as I would like it to run. Guess I can always just give it a try!

Nother question: Does it have any co-op capabilities, so you could play the game with a friend, and does it have any type of online multiplayer stuff also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2007, 1:59 pm 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
Hm, well my graphic's card does have the Shadermodel stuff, but I don't know how well it would run on my computer overall. I mean, it will run alright, but I don't think it would run as well as I would like it to run. Guess I can always just give it a try!

Nother question: Does it have any co-op capabilities, so you could play the game with a friend, and does it have any type of online multiplayer stuff also?

So I'm guessing you don't have a 360 then?

Also unfortunately there is no co-op or multiplayer of any kind. I could imagine some sort of mod that could enable coop or multiplayer, but it would require inclusion of a multiplayer infrastructure since there is none of any kind at this point.

Though a game like Bioshock is really designed as a single-player experience. Coop or multiplayer would kind of ruin the atmosphere and immersion of the game. Though it obviously would be a hell of a lot of fun to duke it with others using plasmids. (I could imagine a map with "plasmids and wrench only" :D)

Also, the Steam version may not be as problematic though from what I've heard, it still installs SecuROM (which is nonsensical IMO since Steam DRM is pretty good to begin with; they've had online activation ever since Half-Life 2 came out)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29th, 2007, 8:00 am 
Resident Admin

Nope, no 360. I am not a big Xbox fan myself.

My roommate just bought it so I am going to try and install it on my computer so I can see how it runs. His comp is a little better in the way that it has a slightly better graphics card and a dual processor, so since it runs on his pretty well I am hopeful. We shall see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2007, 2:11 am 
Major Contributor

One of the few times I wanna play a shooter, and it's only for Xbox 360 and PC. I just happen to own a Mac, and I dunno if I'm ready to break down and buy a 360 yet. Apple has a way around that, but the benefits don't outweigh the risks involved imo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2007, 1:08 pm 
Major Contributor

shgarland wrote:
One of the few times I wanna play a shooter, and it's only for Xbox 360 and PC. I just happen to own a Mac, and I dunno if I'm ready to break down and buy a 360 yet. Apple has a way around that, but the benefits don't outweigh the risks involved imo...

If you have a Intel CPU, you really don't have much to lose.

As for the 360, if this holiday's releases aren't going to make you want to buy a 360 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, etc), I can't really think of what will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2007, 9:27 pm 
Major Contributor

spazmaster666 wrote:
As for the 360, if this holiday's releases aren't going to make you want to buy a 360 (Bioshock, Mass Effect, COD4, Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, etc), I can't really think of what will.

Cost. That's what's been stopping me at this point. Cost. If I can save to the memory unit it won't be much of a problem, since I think I can handle getting the core system. (I'd want at least the memory unit because the core system doesn't come with the HD, right?) I just don't think I can afford spending more than $279.99 on it right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30th, 2007, 9:36 pm 
Resident Admin

spazmaster666,

The thing with me is that I basically only play RPGs on console systems, I usually play first person shooters on my computer (I don't really play anything other than those two types).. I am a WASD kid 8) , can't stand playing an FPS on a controller, not since Golden Eye for the N64 anyway.

I played the opening of Bioshock. I love the atmosphere, this underwater city is sweet. Sadly, my comp couldn't handle anything over the lowest quality settings, anything about that and I kept getting huge black boxes all over the screen... :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 6:13 am 

A 7900 can't play it? Maybe it's your processor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 7:30 am 
Resident Admin

Maybe, I have 1.2 ghz above the minimum requirement so idk. I am thinking it might be the fact that I have only a 256 meg graphics card, rather than 512, so it can't handle it or something along those lines, as I do have 3 gigs of ram. Who knows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2007, 2:04 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy, well, your computer is way ahead of mine. Not difficult to achieve though - my hardware was top-notch in 2003. Ages ago, in computer terms. :D
So if people complain to me their computer was not effective enough for some brand-new kinda game I use to say that patience is a good virtue. I use to wait... for years, if necessary. I can play the brand-new games of "yesteryear" easily now and it doesn't hurt to push the graphic options to the limit. Games like "Wing Commander Prophecy" (1997) or "Tachyon - The Fringe" (2000) are really sweet this way.
All you need is patience.
I wouldn't let the gaming industry dictate my expenses for hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2007, 1:31 am 
Resident Admin

Well, I don't usually let games dictate when I upgrade my computer, because it usually isn't a problem. I used to get a new computer every year, so I was always well ahead of the games that were coming out. However, I have had this comp for over two years now, and while I still meet the minimums system stats, the recommended has finally surpassed me, and if I am going to play something I want it to run and look great. Thus, with my problems running Bioshock, looks like it is time to upgrade.

As a side note, I could never do your system of waiting years to play a game that I want to play, I'm certainly not patient enough for that 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2007, 6:37 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
I used to get a new computer every year

Wow... every year!? :shock:
I smell $$$ bills...