Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 16th, 2017, 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: One of the PS2's swan songs
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 12:15 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
I thought PS2 will be dead after God of War II but I was wrong.There are some good new games still available for PS2 and Persona 3 is one of them.I start to play this game and it is awesome.Here's my first impression on this game(Warning, some spoilers detected ahead).

The opening FMV is the best I ever seen in videogames.Instead of using hi-tech CGIs,This game used colorful images that just moves a little bit,just like that iPod commercials.Its graphics may not as pretty as Final Fantasy XII and Okami but still the prettiest games ever made for PS2.It has strong school atmosphere like Bully and you can upgrade your academics,charm and courage according to your actions.As example,studying in library will increase your academics while watching heroic movies will increase your courage.These stats are important to impress other people to get new social links and to date certain girls.I really don't what Personas are but they usually help your in battles against Shadows,creatures which eat human minds.They only active during the Dark Hour,the mysterious 25th hour of the day which only few people can feel its existence.people who active during this time but cannot summon a persona will meet gruesome fate.In daylight you live as an ordinary high school student and in night as special agent who hunt the Shadows in Tartarus,the mysterious tower which most Shadows came from and perhaps the origin of the Dark Hour.To strengthen your personas,you need to establish social links to unlock Major Arcana cards(sort of).These "cards" are used to strengthen some Personas like those under influence of "Magician" card will doubles your exp.All cards can be unlocked by befriending certain people you can met through the game.What makes this game interesting for is the Iori,the bearded 17-years old boy.While nothing really special about his personality,putting goatee on a 17-years old boy is weird for me.I started to grow beard like him when I was 20.The battle system is very much like Final Fantasy but your character is the only playable character.All other characters are NPCs.You just can give them commands instead controlling them directly like most other RPG games.This game also have new all-out attack feature which you can kill the downed bad guys without wasting much time.

It was great game for although it still too early to make any review at this point.

First impression by points:

Positive
+ Good graphics
+ Complexity
+ Calendar system
+ Many things you can do when you are not fighting

Negative
- Perhaps too many things to do when you are not fighting
- Too complex for some
- Graphics can be upgrade a little bit
- Can be better if all characters that fight alongside with you are playable

Mixed

+/- 17-years old boy with goatee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 1:56 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I remember playing the first Persona game way back, but didn't really get into it at all. Did you play the two before it and how were they compared to this one? Is the story line a continuation of the other two or would I be able to pick this one up without having played the others really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2007, 9:20 pm 

I finally made it to the top of Tartarus.There is nothing,maybe the time not yet come.

The two first Persona games are made for PSOne.The second game was made 8 years ago.Such large age gap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2007, 11:02 pm 
Resident Admin

Amex_Yohko,

Yes, a very large age gap, but is there a story link between the two or is it a stand alone story just keeping the same name, like with the FF series?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 1:16 am 

All Persona games are stand-alone,as far as I know.

Spoiler
Damn the Chairman Ikutsuki backstabbed me and my fellow SEES members.Aigis behave more like human after his death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 1:22 am 
Resident Admin

Ah ok good, then I may have to check this out :) At this point you would say it is worth playing, or just a maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2007, 9:56 pm 

Finally I beat this game,with bad ending of course.There are two different endings you can have but one of them is the bad one.

Spoiler
For bad ending,Ryouji appeared again in December 31st evening.He asked the hero to kill him in order to kill Nyx,mother of all Shadows.If hero decided to kill Ryouji,he might lose all his memories.He may never recognize all of friends again,except for Yukari and Junpei,which are he met before he knew the Dark Hour's existence.

Spoiler
For good ending,the hero decided to let Ryouji live and hero and all of his friends want to fight the Nyx by themselves.I still stuck with the final boss so this is the only I know,for now.

Spoiler
Ryouji is the new student who appeared soon after Ikutsuki's death.He later befriended with the hero and his friends actually to tell his existence.He is the thirdteeen Shadow who has personality of human.He also known as Pharos,a mysterious boy who the hero met many times before.

I will update this when I get the good ending.

Post subject: Re: Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: One of the PS2's swan songs
PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 3:43 am 

Reviving this thread..... since there is a PSP port of Persona 3.

Changes being:
Choice to play as a female character with different social links and a male version of Elizabeth.
Updated Persona 4 style combat system....

As far as I know. Probably has all the P3:FES goodies along with even more extras.

I did like Persona 3's setting and story more than Persona 4, so it'd be fun to play the PSP port. Although I lack a PSP.... hopefully I can remedy that someday...