Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2007, 4:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

Zaxares wrote:
Dynamic scaling?? (...) Your enemies are ALWAYS going to be just as powerful or a little bit more powerful than you.

"Dynamic Scaling"... so that's how they call it... I was wondering whether this atrocity of a gaming concept had a name.
I encountered that strange phenomenon while playing "Final Fantasy Tactics". When my characters were, like, level 20~40, the game seemed kinda easy, but after that it gradually grew horrible. Or let's say: "the random encounters became a nightmare", since I can't say whether the important NPCs and bosses were also dynamic.
I remember, after endless hours of training, having heavily armored knights with me, level 90+, with big lifepoints, and then they would meet a bunch of wild Chocobos... The black Chocobos can call meteors from the sky. A knight would survive one of them, but not a second one. The golden/yellow Chocobos attack with their beak only - but one successful attack would topple one of my knights (level 90+ :!:) like his armor and stuff was made of paper or something... that was frustrating!

Okay, so it's called "dynamic scaling"... I'll remember that. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2007, 5:51 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
I encountered that strange phenomenon while playing "Final Fantasy Tactics".

Hmm, I had no idea that the characters in FFT increased in difficulty as you leveled. I played it in, I think 98', so it has certainly been a while, but I do remember the end battle being rather difficult. (I'm a fan of strategy RPG's, so I really liked FFT, and along those same lines, Arc the Lad if anyone else has heard of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2007, 11:36 am 

Yeah, I hear you 42317 i hate when that happens to. Perhaps even more then when random battles in general. Yeah I really hate Random battles, especialy when my party are low on health and magic and I have no healing items. I also hate them because sometimes you can walk around and are for an hour and run into three fights yet over time in the exact same area you run into 100. Or how it makes it so incredibly difficult to know when your party is powerful enough to take on a boss. I really hate that.

I also hate spending hours upon hours of solely leveling up. That really bugs me. I want to hear the story gime me all the battles I need to reach desired level as i go, don't make me spend hours of leveling up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2007, 8:03 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Hmm, I had no idea that the characters in FFT increased in difficulty as you leveled.

The random encounters do increase in level. You can check that in their description, I think. Level 99 Chocobos are not fun.

Acmurphy wrote:
I do remember the end battle being rather difficult

The end battle is a bitch, so to speak. I liked the sexy littly succubus... :D
But after it turned into that... Death Knight... whatchamacallit... I had the greatest of luck. One of my mages hit it with a "Stop" spell and it was virtually flattened by my three Lancers.

The Adict wrote:
I also hate spending hours upon hours of solely leveling up.

"Hate" is one of your favorite terms...
Other people consider rising statistical values a form of entertainment, as you get more strength, dexterity and all that, more attacks, more effective attacks, better weapons and abilities... without all that it's just an interactive movie.

"Final Fantasy Legend" (Gameboy) had an interesting solution:
All you would get from fights was money, and you could use that money to buy potions, for strength, dexterity and lifepoints. With good management you could advance pretty quick.

And there was a cheat option in it: Your body statistics would only show numbers until 99, but "behind the scenes" the count would go on until 250! So after hitting 99 you could still buy 8 and a half itembags full of any potion and reach really monstrous values.
So when you met the end boss, he wouldn't take you seriously ("Oh, are you trying to pick a fight?") and as a sign of disregard he would not attack you during the first four rounds and then start to use lesser spells to blind you... which is good if you have your statistics "only" at 99. But if you're at 250 he would only be able to cast one spell, in round 5, because in round 6 he will be a goner, before he could cast anything effective, like "Flare" spells and the stuff...

I still have a save-point just before that fight because it's so funny to see the loudmouth go down like a cockroach under a heavy boot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2007, 9:02 am 

After you got Cid, the rest of FFT was kinda a cakewalk anyway since he was nigh unstoppable. I managed to revive whatsherface so she casted the ultimate buff on all my members, and I spammed Golem summons with a summoner so my characters were safe from physical damage. And my ninja cranked out ridiculous amounts of damage with a double slash. It took me a second try because you always miss your reviving and healing spells at the worst times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2007, 11:54 am 

Isn't that the truth. For me to I always manage to screw up of on the fights I don't want to.

Let me clearify, i don't hate leveling up depending on the monsters it's quite enjoyable. Like going back to an area that you thought was extremely difficult and mobbing the floor with everything easily, that's fun. I Just hate having to take a side track from the story line for 2, 3, 4, 5+ hours because my guys aren't strong enough to survive the next area. That's what I meant. i don't mind having to level up and hour or so to beat a boss but after hour 3 it gets old, I get bored and have to force myself to finish the game because i've lost interest.