Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2007, 9:23 am 
Major Contributor

Speaking of which, I just played Oblivion for over 100 hours on the 360 (after I had already played for over 150 hours on the PC several months ago). I only have 100 achievements left, so I'll probably stop playing it pretty soon.

Still 250+ hours on one game is well . . . a lot . . . and it doesn't even have multiplayer . . . :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 2:27 pm 
Regular

Yeah, I think age is the main reason I have trouble getting into RPGs anymore. Back in the day I would whip out my gameboy and play Dragon Warrior Monsters, Golden Sun, a dragon quest remake, or pokemon, and have a blast; but after ninth grade, I stopped enjoying them as much (I think it started with the Golden Sun sequel). I did get old copies of Chrono Trigger and Super mario RPG which kept me entertained, and Tales of Symphonia was a blast until the last fourth of the game, by which time I was tired of playing and just wanted to finish (the ending did'nt help matters, and I still never went back to kill the secret bosses), but I can't imagine getting into something like oblivion or an MMORPG.

I did like the look of Eternal Sonata for the 360 (it really looks like a 3D anime), but I instantly took a dislike to the battle system in the demo.

As for the old PnP, I never got a good group of people. We usually did'nt know what we were doing, and even when we did, our storylines were'nt much fun (usually we just killed a lot of orcs, then said we'd think of a storyline, though we always forgot). Also, there was no challenge as our DM did'nt want anyone to die, so dice rolls never held much weight.

I tried to get into old text RPs, but the games don't always have the list of words you can use, so I get frustrated easily.

Getting a bit off topic, there have been Starcraft multiplayer maps that allow you to set up RPs. I gave one a try and made up a story that had weed, alchohol, sexy nurses, and the ability to summon retarded mutants, I even named the villain Mudafuka. Good times.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2007, 10:37 am 

I never really got into Oblivion. The horrible dynamic difficulty scaling was an instant turn off. Bandits with Daedric armour is just.... ARGH! What the hell?! As the game progressed, the more you had to stab something to kill it so it just became a chore. The only way to get by quickly was summoning, since your summons were scaled as well so they were on level with your enemies. Otherwise they'd just get stronger and stronger than you, despite your increasingly better equipment. Stabbing something 1000x to kill it does not amount to fun. And enchanted weaponry was weak! And besides, after a childhood of Fallout 2, and spazzing through Morrowind way too much for my own good.... this kinda felt like the same old. So I just did the main quest, finished it quick without enemies getting too ridiculously strong and kinda just left it. The side quest exploration open factor kinda stopped appealing to me, because I've kinda done it all before anyway. Not denying that its any good, its just that it just didn't have much of a place in my life.

Mostly a fan of Japanese RPGs nowadays. defined characters and linear stories. Doesn't give you so much to worry about. Just get through the story and end it. I am looking forward to getting home and getting Wild Arms 5. I loved 4, even if its just the battle system since the story was pretty cheesey lol. Bloody crap but pretty amusing anyway. I hope 5 has a decent story at least, but I don't mind more hex system fun. Nana Mizuki sings the theme song anyway, which is retained the US version.... which is a good plus. Although I watched the OP ages ago on youtube and its rendered in 3D and felt kinda lame compared to the 2D animated goodness of Alter Code F and 4. But never the less.... the main character wears long pants and doesn't wear silly dinky shorts like the kid in 4. So yeah, I'm so playing it..... after Grim Grimoire that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2007, 8:22 pm 
Regular

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I never really got into Oblivion. The horrible dynamic difficulty scaling was an instant turn off. Bandits with Daedric armour is just.... ARGH! What the hell?! As the game progressed, the more you had to stab something to kill it so it just became a chore. The only way to get by quickly was summoning, since your summons were scaled as well so they were on level with your enemies. Otherwise they'd just get stronger and stronger than you, despite your increasingly better equipment. Stabbing something 1000x to kill it does not amount to fun. And enchanted weaponry was weak! And besides, after a childhood of Fallout 2, and spazzing through Morrowind way too much for my own good.... this kinda felt like the same old. So I just did the main quest, finished it quick without enemies getting too ridiculously strong and kinda just left it. The side quest exploration open factor kinda stopped appealing to me, because I've kinda done it all before anyway. Not denying that its any good, its just that it just didn't have much of a place in my life.

Dynamic scaling?? :shock: OK, that's it. I am NEVER playing Oblivion. I hate hate HATE dynamic difficulty scaling in RPGs. With a vengeance. It instantly makes me think, "Why bother gaining experience or building up your character? Your enemies are ALWAYS going to be just as powerful or a little bit more powerful than you." If I wanted that sort of gaming experience, I'd go play a FPS or Fighting Game, where the challenge is your own personal skill pitted against your opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2007, 10:08 pm 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
The RPG I love most is Persona 3.I have spent about 80 hours on it.No kidding.First time I played that game with name "James Hopkins" but I dislike it because the game have strong Japanese setting.So I decided to start all over again with name "Takahiro Maejima" which is better.I beat this game with bad ending and restart all over again to get the good one with money and level from previous game.

I bet Persona 3 even better than highly regarded Final Fantasy XII.The best part of that game is dating sim/friend-making one.I only go to the Tartarus,the only dungeon in that game about 3-4 time a month,by using game's time system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2007, 1:53 am 

There was dynamic scaling, but to a much lesser extent in Morrowind. Like the weak monsters will always be around, and the strongest enemies will require you to reach a certain level before they started appearing, but they wouldn't get any stronger so you could always surpass them.

I think there were fan made mods and sorts to somehow offset the dynamic difficulty in Oblivion. And jacking down the difficulty would probably help in the 1000 slashes to kill an opponent. But well, bandits having the best armour and weapons in the game is pretty damn ridiculous. They could just sell their gear and live the easy life instead of being bandits then.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 26th, 2007, 4:27 pm 

Amex Yohko, I don't know if you noticed, but we have a Final Fantasy XII sucks thread, and quiet a few people have posted in it to agree. FFXII sucks rotting infected monkey balls like a pro. The only good thing about the game was the graphics which I would have thought were okay if I hadn't play Shadow Hearts Convenate and Final Fantasy X which graphics on their cinematics left my jaw on the floor, and Xenosaga III which all around left my jaw on the floor graphically.

Since this is an RPG thread can somebody explain to me why FFXII has gotten so much hype? I thought it was slightly below average, with some of the worst game play I've forced myself to deal with. Further more there were other much better games out at the same time, Xenosaga III, Shadow Hearts III and such. Then again that's like asking why when the PS2 Launched the only RPG you heard about was FFX even though you had Grandia II and Shadow Hearts. Sure Shadows Hearts has poor raphics and it needs the coral pendant item but I thought it was much better then FFX. As for Grandia II, it is the greatest RPG I have ever played, bar none. I'll have to go play it again before I feel safe calling it the greatest of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27th, 2007, 4:09 am 

Probably its gambit system, which was plain hit or miss. To me it was just.... set up the right gambits and you get to watch your party fight everything without having to do shit all besides some meddling here and there just so they live. Personally, I preferred the good old turn based system. And characters that were different. I mean hell, the XII characters were all literally a blank slate from the start, like those in VII. I ended up playing Tales of the Abyss instead, which I ended up dropping for Atelier Iris Grand Fantasm and Odin Sphere. Good old 2D goodness~

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2007, 3:34 pm 

Yeah I preffer the old turn based combat system too. It requires more strategy, more often then not.

As for FFXII, as far as combat went. The only times I had trouble was when the boss had annoying ability, like it flew so only gun, bows and spells could harm it or it became invinsible. Otherwise all you had to do was move yourcharacters around and heal them after the fight, BORING!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2007, 4:14 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I gotta say, I much prefer a battle system like that in Star Ocean Till the End of Time and Tales of the Abyss and all the others like those to the old turn based system. It is just so much more involved when you have to be running all around, blocking, hitting combos, etc. As opposed to just going turn by turn with what you are doing like in most of the others. Basically makes it more like an action RPG, which, if you like action RPG's, is a good thing.

I guess I am one of the few people that actually likes dynamic scaling. I hate it when I progress through a game and all the creatures that I fought throughout most of the game are now one hit kills and do absolutely nothing for me but waste my time. That is incredibly annoying to me. I always like my battles to be a challenge, otherwise, whats the point in just steamrolling over everything because you are so leet, or because they are lvl 1 creatures you fought 40 hours ago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2007, 8:37 pm 
Regular

Acmurphy wrote:
I guess I am one of the few people that actually likes dynamic scaling. I hate it when I progress through a game and all the creatures that I fought throughout most of the game are now one hit kills and do absolutely nothing for me but waste my time. That is incredibly annoying to me. I always like my battles to be a challenge, otherwise, whats the point in just steamrolling over everything because you are so leet, or because they are lvl 1 creatures you fought 40 hours ago?

Well, if you're level 20 (or whatever the max level in the game is) what are you doing fighting level 1 creatures anyway? You should be in the final areas of the game, going up against demons, dragons or other high-end monsters.

Then again, I suppose it depends a lot on the way the game is built, and here I would divide RPGs into two general types: Asian or Western.

Asian RPGs tend to have a heavy emphasis on 'levelling' on a massive scale. The upper cap on levels tends to be 99 (or even into the hundreds), and a character at that level of power can, quite easily, 'one-shot' opponents that are 30 or more levels below them. This means that certain areas of the game are basically 'inaccessible' until you reach the appropriate level, since there's no way you'd survive the monsters in a particular area unless you were 'ready' to go there. The flip side of this system is that, once you've grown in power, there's really no reason to go back to the earlier areas ever again.

Western RPGs tend to have a lower level cap, usually around 20 or so (a tradition started by the grand-daddy of RPGs, D&D). Even at level 20, it's still possible to get a decent challenge out of lower level monsters, if the monsters have good tactics, good equipment, or there are just a lot of them. In fact, in Baldur's Gate 2, one of the most satisfying experiences I ever had was fighting a group of 6 or 7 ogres. When I was just starting out, ONE ogre was enough to send my low level party fleeing for their lives, but now, the tables have turned. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2007, 10:07 pm 
Resident Admin

I've played a number of games where you have to go back to areas you have previously been for a quest or to do something and it is a pain to have to fight against low level characters that you can kill instantly, making the time it takes you to complete the battle a complete waste, since they aren't going to give you anything you need. I would rather that characters just level with me, so they are always a challenge.

Dynamic scaling just seems like a good way to keep things difficult for you. I don't find being overpowered much fun, I would like it if all battles were like mini boss battles that push me to possible death, rather than just sitting there hitting x or clicking attack continually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2007, 11:44 pm 
Regular

Acmurphy wrote:
I've played a number of games where you have to go back to areas you have previously been for a quest or to do something and it is a pain to have to fight against low level characters that you can kill instantly, making the time it takes you to complete the battle a complete waste, since they aren't going to give you anything you need. I would rather that characters just level with me, so they are always a challenge.

Dynamic scaling just seems like a good way to keep things difficult for you. I don't find being overpowered much fun, I would like it if all battles were like mini boss battles that push me to possible death, rather than just sitting there hitting x or clicking attack continually.

I guess we like different things in our RPGs then. :wink: No problem there.

I generally only like 'boss battles' to be the kind of battle that pushes you to your limits. Perhaps coming from a strong D&D background, I always saw minion battles as something simply to wear down the PC's resources and spells (and for the villain to ascertain their capabilities), rather than a full-out attempt to kill the PC's. (Which, if the villain was trying to do, would probably show up to do himself, bringing along his most powerful minions at the same time.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2007, 12:53 am 
Resident Admin

Zaxares wrote:
I guess we like different things in our RPGs then. :wink: No problem there.

Indeed. I guess you could say I like my games to be very difficult in the sense of my need for looming death. I don't know if I have actually played a game that was like that as of yet, since I would imagine it is a rather odd thing to look for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2007, 12:50 pm 

I'm with Acmurphy to an extent. I like my fights to be challenging threwout. I personally hate it when you make it threw most of the game by killing things with one hit then you get to the last level or so and each enemy is an easy boss level difficulty. I also find bosses being to easy as of late. I prefer bosses pushing me to the limits of my characters abilities and my mastery of the game. This is especially true for end bosses, I want the dang thing to be able to give me an end game with ease if I'm not careful, hell I want it to kill me off a few times just cuss it can. For example, Shadow Hearts:Coventate, if you didn't do the side quests, then the end boss is ridiculusly hard no matter how powerful you are. This means you end up dying a few times before you get a formula that allows you to beat it, if your lucky. Mean I've played against it 7 time and only beat it 2 with 20 to 40 minutes each time. Then you feel like you accomplished something and run around yelling for joy as the end credits play.

I also prefer Eastern vr. western. I like being as powerful I chose. I hate being told you can only be so and so powerful. I should have the right to dictate how much time I want to put in leveling up and how powerful my characters are. Also I also feel constricted with a level 20 level cap as to what I can do with my characters.

I only prefer turn based of action right now because, at least for me, they always end up as button mashers. I prefer strategy over randomly hitting butons knowing what it does and hoping for the best. Now if they took a Zelda and Ninja Gaiden control sceme with some like Shadow of the Calosis weakspot system then I would be all over the action RPG. But the controls for most of them are less then good to say the least. But they'll fix that soon I'm sure, Star Ocean was a step in the right direction. Now they just need to keep going.