Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RPGs
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2007, 6:26 pm 

I'm setting up this thread for people to gripe or praise RPGs or role playing games.
If i may have one rule, that would be that only people that actual like or love RPGs post in here. I'd rather not have to listen to someone that hates RPGs for whatever reason to post in here.

First thing of discussion: Is it just me or is the quality of 98% of RPGs outside of graphics going down hill like a avalanche, especially the storys. I can write stuff that's better then this stuff in my sleep. :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2007, 7:13 pm 

Your post sounds self-contradictory, Adict.

I do concur, from my experience with PS2 RPGs so far, that the quality of RPGs has really taken a hit. I've been playing some high profile RPGs for the PS2, then played Grandia for the Playstation One the other day. It felt like breathing fresh air.

There is an over-emphasis on graphics. One of bad things brought about by Final Fantasy's success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2007, 8:02 pm 
Resident Scholar

Dei wrote:
There is an over-emphasis on graphics.

Right! Good graphics are kinda cool, but you should always realize that it's more of a luxury... the sugar-coating. Years ago I enjoyed games that had only lines and dots instead of these render-3D-breathtaking-super-power-realistic graphics - but it was still fun. The stories were nice and that's the most important point in RPGs. Even deep characters are secondary. Furthermore, those low-tech graphics left more opportunity for the player's own imagination, and that's the best about them (i.e. the major reason why I still prefer my RPGs in P&P coding - paper & pencil).

Even today there are purely text-based online RPGs, like "Avalon". It's played via a rather forgotten program called Telnet, which is automatically installed on Windows machines (or any computer?). All you get is text, maybe some ACII-based stuff fpr orientation, but in general there's just text. Whenever you make a decision about what to do or where to go you receive new information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2007, 6:36 am 

^WTH? How old are you?

I got used to JRPGs. I've never really tried a lot of WRPGs (esp. paper and pencil ones).

To further expound on the gripe about graphics:

Formerly, graphics on screen were made to be much more symbolic. That's why games were more stylized compared to the present.

Now, graphics are more concrete. We are made to look at how far it is from reality, opposed to allowing us to exercise our imagination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2007, 6:52 am 
Resident Scholar

Dei wrote:
^WTH? How old are you?

Uh, 30.

Dei wrote:
JRPGs - WRPGs

What does "J" resp. "W" stand for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2007, 7:38 am 

Ah, 30. You're almost a decade older than me. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm just surprised you associated RPGs with pen and paper. Technically, P&P games were the first RPGs; but almost everybody I know associates the term RPG with the computer game genre.

JRPG - Japanese; W -Western

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2007, 10:10 am 
Resident Scholar

Dei wrote:
I'm just surprised you associated RPGs with pen and paper.

It's the true art of roleplaying. Write your own adventures, play them with friends on weekend afternoons, get direct feedback, write even better adventures. Plus, preconstructed characters usually can't compete with those you create yourself. Speaking in terms of Genshiken it's like the difference between a model kit from a store and a plastic model that you built at home.
I use to say that this low-tech stuff is the highest form of medium - because it projects the images of the ongoing adventure right into your brain without the necessity of further hardware. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2007, 8:57 pm 
Regular

I have to agree with 42 that PnP is the RPG in its purest form, where the only real limit is your imagination and the imaginations of your fellow players.

While I also agree to some extent that RPGs of today have largely eschewed storylines and characters in favor of prettier graphics and special effects, I think it also bears stating that a large part of the appeal of storylines is originality. In an industry where there's apparently only 7 basic core storylines, and where there are dozens of RPGs based off those 7 core storylines, it's inevitable that a lot of games will have that "Boooring, I saw that plot twist coming a mile away" feeling. This doesn't necessarily mean that the story is bad; we just think it is because we expected it (due to our experience with other games in the genre).

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2007, 1:06 pm 

Wow, you guys are old. me 19, hehehe.

Zaxares has a point, still we only have 7 core storylines for pretty much everything. I guess the thing I'm tired of most is how almost every RPG boils down to a group of people thrown together by odd situation that wouldn't have anything to do with each other in any other cirumstance goingto save the world/universe whatever. I'm waiting for a self serving story line we the heros only goal are personal ones that are pretty meaningless. Like Shadow Hearts 2 starts out with, the main hero wants revenge pure simple and uncomplicated. Plus Yuri is a bad ass, we need more bad ass main characters in rpgs.

Still yeah things are getting boring becuase almost everything is I've been there seen that why am I wasting my time doing this again.

As a side note Disagea 2 is pretty good, plays like an older rpg, with actually funny humor and all.

Still I wish game designers would stop putting all their money into the graphic and more on storyline and CHaracter developement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2007, 10:01 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Part of the problem with RPGs is not that they may be changing so much from how they used to be, but that you might just be getting older. As RPGs continue to be made for the same age group basically, you continue to get older and are less enthralled by their stories lines that you have seen before and the immature characters that are 15 years old. This can also apply to the battle system where, when you are older, will notice more problems with it or get bored of it faster.

Now, I haven't played a ton of recent RPGs, but I did play a huge amount of older ones back in the day. Part of the reason is that I have outgrown a lot of the games and thus don't even bother playing them anymore.

On another note, I have never played a PnP RGP before, so maybe one of these days I will give it a try. I always wanted to play one, so maybe I can get a coupe people together to try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2007, 5:48 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
I have never played a PnP RGP before, so maybe one of these days I will give it a try. I always wanted to play one, so maybe I can get a coupe people together to try it out.

You have not... unbelievable... is there a god in the universe? :D
Try it out as long as you're in college - you might lack the time and regret it afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2007, 9:32 pm 

I get what you're saying Acmurphy.

So in other words once again it gets back to the writers.

but the problem is you have games like Grandia II and Shadow Hearts II and Xenosaga I & III that still appeal to me even though I'm older now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29th, 2007, 2:45 am 
Major Contributor

I really haven't got anything to gripe about with RPGs. Jade Empire and the KOTOR games were good for Xbox. Haven't played much outside of FF on PS2...and have there been any RPGs for GameCube outside of Zelda?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2007, 4:15 pm 
Lurker

It's quite the feeling, wanting to stab your friend in the eye with your pencil because he's the worst DM on the face of the planet.

Try playing a P&P RPG with a generous supply of beer on hand. You'll, uh, get more into the roleplaying swing of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2007, 5:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Kesshi wrote:
Try playing a P&P RPG with a generous supply of beer on hand. You'll, uh, get more into the roleplaying swing of things.

If you need alcohol to enjoy playing I'd recommend you to find some other activity for your spare time.
But I admit that we made a test play with alcohol. Whenever a character was wounded you had to drink a little glass (100 ml) of Sake. It turned out a really fun episode since we were all drunk in the end, but I was also glad that I did not put too much effort into the preparation.