Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Computer Problems, Need Some Help.
PostPosted: June 17th, 2008, 2:21 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Having a bit of a problem, which was bound to happen but came a little sooner than expected. I've had one of my HDD's fail on me. A couple days ago my computer crashed, but I didn't think much of it, till it took around 5 minutes to start up. And then every time I went to start it up the same problem. So today I finally noticed that two of my partitions were missing (I split all my 500gig HHD's into 250 gig pieces). After fiddling with trying to figure out which of the drives in my comp had gone down, it recognized on startup that something was wrong and ran checkdisc, which resulted in telling me it is unable to read master file table, and then it failed to recover anything.

So I guess my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how I could get the HDD fixed by correcting the master file table? I'm going to replace the drive regardless now, but it would be nice to fix it for the time being while I order the new drive as opposed to just sitting on the drive and hoping that whatever data recovery program I use works. (I lost about 200 gigs worth of shows and about 150 gigs of um, hentai material).

I'm going to give GetDataBack a try, unless anyone has any other programs that have used that worked well in the past.

God I hate problems!

PostPosted: June 18th, 2008, 7:50 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
I lost about 200 gigs worth of shows and about 150 gigs of um, hentai material.

Are you one of the "hunter and gatherer" type, keeping anything that was just good enough not to hate it? :lol:
(I get rid of about 90 % of whatever I download because it doesn't please me in the long run... why waste resources on stuff that I won't watch again?)

PostPosted: June 19th, 2008, 6:36 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
Are you one of the "hunter and gatherer" type, keeping anything that was just good enough not to hate it? :lol:
(I get rid of about 90 % of whatever I download because it doesn't please me in the long run... why waste resources on stuff that I won't watch again?)

I'm not so much a hunter-gatherer as I am a hunter-slow to watch what I've gotten type. So I end up getting things at a much faster rate than I get rid of them. At least with shows and such anyway. Hentai and Anime I tend to just hold onto no matter what in case of writing a review, needing screenshots, and just the simple fact that some titles are really tough to find so if you do get rid of them you may never get a hold of them again.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 12:42 am 
Major Contributor

Well the good news is that your data is still there, but without the MFT (master file table), Windows doesn't know how to access them. What's going to have to be done is that the entire disc will have to be scanned and the MFT will have to be rebuilt. There are plenty of software available that can do this, but none of them are free AFAIK.

GetDataBack is a pretty good program. Stellar Phoenix also has some very good recovery software, but is a little expensive (though it does have a 30 day money back guarantee). But both options would be much cheaper than getting the drive repaired by a technician.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2008, 3:51 am 
Resident Admin

spazmaster666 wrote:
Well the good news is that your data is still there, but without the MFT (master file table), Windows doesn't know how to access them. What's going to have to be done is that the entire disc will have to be scanned and the MFT will have to be rebuilt. There are plenty of software available that can do this, but none of them are free AFAIK.

GetDataBack is a pretty good program. Stellar Phoenix also has some very good recovery software, but is a little expensive (though it does have a 30 day money back guarantee). But both options would be much cheaper than getting the drive repaired by a technician.

Well I guess my main question is, does a program like GetDataBack actually rebuild the HDD, or does it just transfer the files off the dead HDD onto the HDD it is currently installed on? I'm just worried that I may not be able to clear enough space off my main drive to be able to transfer all those files onto it.

If neither GBD nor Stellar Phoenix actually rebuild the drive, are there other ones that do? And would you say that this drive is pretty much dead now, as after such a problem arises there must be some sort of problem inherent, or is it just some sort of fluke occurrence?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2008, 12:35 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
Well I guess my main question is, does a program like GetDataBack actually rebuild the HDD, or does it just transfer the files off the dead HDD onto the HDD it is currently installed on? I'm just worried that I may not be able to clear enough space off my main drive to be able to transfer all those files onto it.

Well it does rebuild the drive but only to the point where the recovered data can be transferred to another drive (i.e. you can't access the files from the corrupted hard disc directly after it's been rebuilt). The reason for this that a corrupted MFT usually means that the hard drive is starting to fail or in its last legs. While it's possible to reformat the drive after you transfer the recovered files and continue to use it for data storage, I wouldn't recommend storing any important data on the drive since there's a good chance it could become corrupted again.

Acmurphy wrote:
If neither GBD nor Stellar Phoenix actually rebuild the drive, are there other ones that do? And would you say that this drive is pretty much dead now, as after such a problem arises there must be some sort of problem inherent, or is it just some sort of fluke occurrence?

Well as I said, I think they do rebuild the drive, sort of. But even if they could recover it to the point where you could access the data directly off of it (without transferring it to a good hard disc first), it's probably not a good idea to continue to use that drive. But if you really want to continue using the hard drive after you've recovered the data from it, I would suggest you run the Drive Fitness Test. If is passes, I would say it's safe enough to use for general data storage (but again not for important data).

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 8:45 pm 
Resident Admin

Ya, I figured the drive is done for :cry: I have a new terabyte drive coming in on ~Wednesday, so that will be the day I tackle all this stuff. Gonna try and move all the files on my main drive over to it, so I can make room for the dead drive's files. Hopefully this won't take me all day...

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 4:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

Is there anybody who could point out to me a piece of software that allows me to hide or scramble my IP on the internet? Ideally it can be turned on and off by pushing a button in a menu on the screen instead of it permanently running in the background.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 6:41 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
Is there anybody who could point out to me a piece of software that allows me to hide or scramble my IP on the internet? Ideally it can be turned on and off by pushing a button in a menu on the screen instead of it permanently running in the background.

I don't know of anything like that, but proxys change the IP.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 8:00 pm 

I do not think there is a way to turn "off" your IP address. Why do you want to do this? If its for reasons like copyright infringement, trust me, they will find you if they want to.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 6:38 pm 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
I do not think there is a way to turn "off" your IP address.

I don't mean to turn off the IP address. But I heard it was possible to falsify the IP address or change it every time the computer is switched on, or block attempts of others to read it.

In a forum I encountered an interesting signature. It was a smiley holding up a sign that says:
"I can see you! Your IP address is (my number) and your provider is (my ISP)!"
I don't like that. I don't want my computer identity revealed to any idiot. It's enough to reveal it to sophisticated idiots, who are just a fraction...

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 12:02 am 
Regular

42317 wrote:
In a forum I encountered an interesting signature. It was a smiley holding up a sign that says:
"I can see you! Your IP address is (my number) and your provider is (my ISP)!"
I don't like that. I don't want my computer identity revealed to any idiot. It's enough to reveal it to sophisticated idiots, who are just a fraction...

I believe that's nothing to worry about. It's a small script that, when displayed on your computer, returns your own IP address and ISP, but nobody else viewing your posts would be able to see that. Even the person with said signature won't be able to see your own IP address (if he viewed it himself, he'd see his own IP address).

That said, I'm no computer security expert. Somebody else with a greater knowledge of things like this can feel free to step in. :)

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 12:26 am 

Zaxares wrote:
That said, I'm no computer security expert. Somebody else with a greater knowledge of things like this can feel free to step in. :)

Your explanation is perfect. I do not think there is a way to not allow that little script to run other than disabling whatever kind of script it is. And that could cause other things to run improperly, so I wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 12:53 am 
Post Master

Zaxares wrote:
I believe that's nothing to worry about. It's a small script that, when displayed on your computer, returns your own IP address and ISP, but nobody else viewing your posts would be able to see that. Even the person with said signature won't be able to see your own IP address (if he viewed it himself, he'd see his own IP address).

Forum moderators have access to everybody's IP. It opens a site that shows where that person lives, their service provider, and a bunch of other data that I don't understand.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 1:38 am 
Resident Admin

This is true, the forum script records all the IP addresses you post under and compiles them all into a list. The server does the same thing, I believe. Though I don't really know where they're stored or how one would make any sense out of a list of IP address at various times (beyond me).

At any rate, if a simple script in someone's signature can report your IP to you I would imagine it fairly easy (if you have any idea what you're doing) to be able to figure out someone's IP address. Like Mmsven said, you could use a proxy when surfing the internet, which will change your IP to some random thing. It's more of a pain than just having some sort of program running in the background doing it, but some of the programs below do cost money for the full version:

In my search I found:
http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html
http://www.anonymizer.com/
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/S ... e-IP.shtml
http://www.smarthide.com/

Hopefully one of those will work for ya!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next