Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11th, 2008, 7:17 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
spazmaster666 wrote:
Do you have another monitor to connect your video card to? Have you tried installing the latest drivers? Also some older graphics cards and drivers have issues with Windows Vista, especially 64-bit edition, and since the graphics card is used during video play back as well, it can cause issues in 2D or 3D apps. Which graphics card do you have and which driver are you using?

I don't have another computer monitor, but I am directly connected via a DVI cable to my Sharp Aquos HD TV as well as my regular monitor (Which isn't that old). I'll give it a try on that, but the last time I tried to start a game on it, it didn't work at all.

My current graphics card is the Geforce 7900 GTO and I do have the latest drivers for it, version 169.25. I have had this problem for a year on XP, and now the same problem on Vista. It's either the graphics card or the monitor, as those are the only two parts I have kept that could be affecting it. I did try the other graphics card, as I mentioned, which was a Radeon x300, installed the drivers for it, and had the same problem. :?

spazmaster666 wrote:
Vista shouldn't have any issues with DVD players given it's universal driver compatibility but you may need to install chipset drivers for you motherboard (since it could be an issue with the PATA controller). What motherboard are you using and are you using any other drives on the same PATA controller?

A firmware update may help as well though usually it should not be necessary.

I'm using the Nvidia 680i motherboard. And I'm not really sure about the PATA controller (Since I have no idea what it is :() I'll check my motherboard disc and see if it has anything on it.

Mmsven wrote:
I had that black screen problem before with games. My on-board graphics card was colliding with my stronger one, causing my screen to go black every time I exited. Took a VERY long time to figure out how to fix it.

Hmm, neither my current nor my last had on-board video on it. Thanks though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 12:33 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
My current graphics card is the Geforce 7900 GTO and I do have the latest drivers for it, version 169.25. I have had this problem for a year on XP, and now the same problem on Vista. It's either the graphics card or the monitor, as those are the only two parts I have kept that could be affecting it. I did try the other graphics card, as I mentioned, which was a Radeon x300, installed the drivers for it, and had the same problem. :?

If you've been having issues with your card for over a year, it may need to be RMAed. What brand is it? Usually video cards have decent warranties, and in the case of BFG, XFX, or eVGA, lifetime warranties. If latest drivers or the monitor isn't the issue then it's most likely the card itself.

Acmurphy wrote:
I'm using the Nvidia 680i motherboard. And I'm not really sure about the PATA controller (Since I have no idea what it is :() I'll check my motherboard disc and see if it has anything on it.

PATA = Parallel ATA; in other words the older Hard Drive interface (sometimes referred to as "IDE"). Since you have a 680i chipset, you should be able to get chipset drivers from nvidia. Install the latest ones and see if your issues persist. Otherwise, you might as well just get a new DVD drive since they are pretty cheap these days (~$30 USD for instance nets you a nice 20x Samsung DVD Burner with Lightscribe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2008, 12:49 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
spazmaster666 wrote:
If you've been having issues with your card for over a year, it may need to be RMAed. What brand is it? Usually video cards have decent warranties, and in the case of BFG, XFX, or eVGA, lifetime warranties. If latest drivers or the monitor isn't the issue then it's most likely the card itself.

It's a BFG card. I sadly can't remember if it started when I got my monitor or graphics card, it was around the same time. Oh well, with the new Vista Control-Alt-Delete window, whenever I hit cancel it corrects my screen and gets rid of the black screen. So at least it doesn't crap me out for good.

spazmaster666 wrote:
PATA = Parallel ATA; in other words the older Hard Drive interface (sometimes referred to as "IDE"). Since you have a 680i chipset, you should be able to get chipset drivers from nvidia. Install the latest ones and see if your issues persist. Otherwise, you might as well just get a new DVD drive since they are pretty cheap these days (~$30 USD for instance nets you a nice 20x Samsung DVD Burner with Lightscribe)

Ah, IDE I know. I'll give the driver a try and see if it doesn't help. If it doesn't do the job I'll just get a new dvd drive, you're right they aren't much these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2008, 7:12 pm 
Resident Scholar

I bought a new DVD burner, Samsung SH-S202J, and while it burns like the sun above the Sahara, it does not read files. It recognizes folder trees, but when I want to enter the file level it says "I/O device error".
The lense cannot be dirty, the device is new, and I have already exchanged the whole drive with another one of the same type and the problem remained. A firmware and driver update did no good, in both attempts, too.
Could it be that some feature of my computer prevents the proper use of the drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 4:55 pm 
Major Contributor

Here, read this

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 11:21 am 
Resident Scholar

Okay, I'll try...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 6:16 pm 
Resident Scholar

That didn't change much, but I asked one of the computer wizards whom I use to play cards with to take a look at it, so he did some sysop magic with the box, exchanged the IDE cable... and it seems to work now.
Thanks for your help. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 9:10 am 
Resident Scholar

Next issue.
My urge to play "Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin" on my own computer motivated me to spend a few bucks on an older graphic card: MSI GeForce FX 5200.

I'd like to go beyond what I have onboard: SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740.

But there are problems of the most basic kind.
I have downloaded a driver for the hardware and put the card into the slot on the motherboard, ready to roll. But it seems that by doing so the video signal from the old card gets blocked - my screen tells me there was no signal. When I remove the NVIDIA card (which does heat up during the process of doing seemingly nothing), the monitor works again. But installing the driver without optical feedback from the screen is as impossible as installing the driver without having the card inserted. In that case it tells me there was no hardware to respond to the software...
I'll be grateful for any working solutions.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 11:39 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Next issue.
My urge to play "Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin" on my own computer motivated me to spend a few bucks on an older graphic card: MSI GeForce FX 5200.

I'd like to go beyond what I have onboard: SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740.

But there are problems of the most basic kind.
I have downloaded a driver for the hardware and put the card into the slot on the motherboard, ready to roll. But it seems that by doing so the video signal from the old card gets blocked - my screen tells me there was no signal. When I remove the NVIDIA card (which does heat up during the process of doing seemingly nothing), the monitor works again. But installing the driver without optical feedback from the screen is as impossible as installing the driver without having the card inserted. In that case it tells me there was no hardware to respond to the software...
I'll be grateful for any working solutions.

Have you tried disabling the onboard graphics chip in the BIOS? Also you don't need a specific nvidia driver just to boot into Windows since the generic VGA drivers that come with Windows XP are sufficient for that.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 6:24 am 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
Have you tried disabling the onboard graphics chip in the BIOS?

Interesting option - how do I do that?
And in case the new card is, well, broken - what do I do? Disabling the onboard card means my monitor will remain black and I would need optical input in order to re-enable it... I'm a layman, so I could need a bit of guidance, please. :oops:

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 8:52 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
Interesting option - how do I do that?
And in case the new card is, well, broken - what do I do? Disabling the onboard card means my monitor will remain black and I would need optical input in order to re-enable it... I'm a layman, so I could need a bit of guidance, please. :oops:

I posted a way to disable it on page 2, assuming you use windows XP as well.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2008, 6:42 am 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
To fix it, I went to my system properties, hardware tab, device manager, display adapters, then I disabled my on-board card.

Oh, yes, thanks for the hint. But that does not answer my question 100 % - if my new card is actually defunct, how do I switch back to the onboard card without a screen?

Yesterday, a friend suggested that I take the battery out of my motherboard in order to reset everything, but she also mentioned that it was possible that there was a second battery for emergency reasons and that I might have to find a certain jumper instead of the battery for the BIOS reset... next I'm going to SiS and find out some details about my motherboard...

Edit 1:
I have solved the problem by disabling the automatic AGP calibration in my BIOS settings, at least that is what seems to have brought a solution - of sorts. Because...

spazmaster666 wrote:
you don't need a specific nvidia driver just to boot into Windows since the generic VGA drivers that come with Windows XP are sufficient for that.

This seems to be not quite true in this particular case. When I try to automatically install drivers for the "video controller (VGA compatible)" the XP Pro system tells me there were no drivers.

So I downloaded two from NVIDIA:
The first, "93.81_forceware_winxp2k_international", fails to pass the "WinXP logo test" or something, which means it's considered unsafe?!?
The second, 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_international_whql, has installed successfully, rebooting now...

Edit 2:
Yes, it seems to work fine... reconfiguration of game settings in progress.

Edit 3:
"Axis & Allies" does not run anymore. Clicking the .exe file, something starts and within a second, I'm back to the desktop or A&A folder. That would be a major blow to my entertainment...
Anything else is okay so far.

Post subject: Re: Computer Problems, Need Some Help.
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 7:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

I have two questions about Counterstrike (1.6) actually.
First, when you add maps to your collection they appear in the menu "New Game", but in more or less chronological order - is there a way to edit the list? You see, I dig alphabetical order... :lol:
Second, is there a way to edit the names of the bots somehow?

PostPosted: June 11th, 2008, 4:36 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
I have two questions about Counterstrike (1.6) actually.
First, when you add maps to your collection they appear in the menu "New Game", but in more or less chronological order - is there a way to edit the list? You see, I dig alphabetical order... :lol:
Second, is there a way to edit the names of the bots somehow?

There's no way to edit the list as far as I know but you can change the name of the bots:

Open up the "BotProfile.db" file in Notepad and you can edit the names of the bots there. If should be in your "\Steam\SteamApps\Your Steam Username\counter-strike\cstrike" directory.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2008, 4:03 pm 
Resident Scholar

Hey, thanks!
Although the document does look a bit more complex than I had anticipated.
Like, the bots' voices have a different pitch each? I never realized that.
And why do the bots have a "cost" indicator? Did I miss something?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next