Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Granado Espada: Sword of the New World
PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 8:13 am 

Yep, another F2P MMORPG that hails from the east. But this one is vastly different than ANYTHING else I've played so far. Guess that's one of the benefits of originally being a Pay to Play title that converted over to Free to Play... high budget for gameplay and visuals that now relies on cash shop items to keep servers going and recoop development costs. But with this still going incredibly strong in Korea and abroad, seems like we'll be playing it for some time to come.

So let's get to what makes this different.

Setting: From what I've read, it's basically Earth but instead of Europe expanding West into the Americas, they annexed much of Asia and sailed across the Pacific, landing somewhere in Mexico/California. While there is still magic in the world, you won't find any orcs or elves. It feels like a steam punk/clock work setting where technology is the main stay, with magic being important but more of a relic. Thus, you're more apt to find musketeers in a group doing damage than a mage, or people controlling constructs instead of mages controlling elementals. Finally, the fashion and architecture of the places feels very much like the 1500-1700's.

Starting Classes: For the most part, status quo with some exceptions. Fighters can either be damage dealers or tanks, or a mix of both depending on the stance being used. (More on that later.) Musketeers are your ranged damage dealer, relying on high single target fire power to stop most mobs cold. (They can one shot most things for the first 10 levels or so.) Scouts are a "support" class, which can be a healer, a bard buffing class, a trap setter, an assassin, etc... Very versatile class. Wizards are debuffers and damage dealers, Elementalists are your AoE damage dealers.

Unique Player Characters: Throughout the game, there are a multitude of NPCs you can recruit to serve in your party. Some of these are hybrids of the starting classes, some of these are just basic starting classes with a new model, and some of these are so unique you can't obtain stances like what they have anywhere else in the game. (The Engineers come to mind, as do the Hand to Hand Martial Artists.) Most of these Unique Player Characters are free, with only a handful requiring cash shop items. (Which can also be bought off the in game Marketplace/Auction House.)

Stances: This is the meat of combat. Characters behave differently depending on the weapon and stance being used, allowing for one character to be able to accomplish quite a few things. Stances have to be purchased from a vendor, but are well worth the high price. An example... If I have at least a single great sword stance and then equip a great sword, my fighter switches to his default greatsword stance. These stances are level based, but let's assume I've unlocked all of them. With a great sword, I have several options as to how the fighter should behave. Plow Guard, the lowest level great sword stance, has good single target damage, an AoE skill and a self buff. Or I could use Roof Guard, which is all about offense and relies very little on defense. Or I could use Sidewinder, which allows me to hit multiple targets with every swing and has several AoE skills. But what if I need a tank? I can equip a sword and shield, even in the middle of combat, to instantly switch my fighter over to a tank stance.

Another example is the scout. By default with no weapons, the scout is allowed 4 stances. Healing, Bard (Buffing), Install Trap and Tactical Assistance (More Buffing.) By using daggers, the scout can use a 1 hand stance or a two weapon stance. These are mostly just useful for when mobs arn't hitting you that hard, as scouts are quick to die and more often than not are a healing class before anything else. While the scout can still heal in his dagger stances, his auto heal in the Healing stance replaced by dagger abilities, so you'll have to manually click your guys to keep them fighting.

Multiple Character Control System: Rather than going out alone into the new world and tearing it up solo, Sword of the New World has incorporated a unique system to allow one player to control up to three characters at once. (Pure solo play is still an option.) Thus, one could easily form the "Holy Trinity" (Tank, Healer, Damage Dealer) and tackle most of the content on their own without having to team up with other players (Raids and team dungeons do exist, however.) Or you could experiment with all sorts of group combinations, like two musketeers and a fighter (relying on the targets to be dead before they can do much damage), two fighters and a scout (hurt and heal just about any mob), etc, etc..

Only in my level 20's (out of a 100), but I've had quite a bit of fun with this game so far. Unlocking new characters and using their strength to benefit your stock characters is a blast. With controlling 3 characters at a time, you're no longer fighting just 1 or 2 mobs... but instead 10-20. Gameplay is fast and hectic, while still requiring some strategy. Unlocking new stances and making them work with your party set up is also great, allowing for a ton of skill customization without relying on "Talent trees" or other mathematical clusterfracks that only the hard core gamers truly get.

The only downsides I've seen so far is that the game is a Korean MMO, so there is lots of grinding to level up past a certain point. Also, there is an utter lack of aesthetic character customization at the beginning of the game, so you'll see lots of clones running around until you hit the later levels. Lastly, money is very tight in this game... I recommend sinking $5 of your real money into Quarter Slots and then selling them on the auction house just so you can afford ammo for your elementalists and musketeers.

Very tired when I wrote this up, so if it feels like a bunch of random thoughts... it is!

Post subject: Re: Granado Espada: Sword of the New World
PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 6:41 pm 
Resident Scholar

Very good text. Looks like an interesting game, assuming I was interested in MMORPGs.
Since I'm not I'm having trouble with the jargon.
What is buffing/debuffing?
AoE?
Stances?
Looking these terms up in my dictionaries doesn't bring me far because the dictionaries are probably older than such gamer jargon.
What I found cool was "they can one shot anything"... I kinda like the sound of that verb.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 7:04 pm 

Buffing: Making your characters stronger through temporary spells or abilities.

Debuffing: Making enemies weaker through temporary spells or abilities.

AoE: Area of Effect, more precisely, a spell that does splash damage or has a splash effect. Rather than effect just one target, it hits everything inside the circle.

Stances: Unique to Granado Espada, apparently I didn't explain them well enough. Even more tired now, but I'll have another try. Stances are based on the weapon you are currently using, and effect how that weapon is used. Thus, a great sword can be wielded to hit one target for great damage, do moderate damage and debuff targets, knock targets down on the ground and incapacitate them, or hit a multitude of targets with one fell swoop. Think samurai sword stances used in anime. Some are better for slashes, others for thrusts. It's all how you hold the weapon.

One Shot: Kills the target in a single blow. Rather than chink away at a target's health with dual swords, a warrior could use a great sword and kill it in a single swing. A Musketeer could dual wield pistols and kill a target moderately fast, or he could use a rifle and kill it in a single blast.

That should just about cover it.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 9:28 pm 
Resident Scholar

Thanks for the explanations.
But I didn't want you to miss any sleep for that! :bow:

Shirogetsune wrote:
Stances: Unique to Granado Espada, apparently I didn't explain them well enough.

Okay, I guess it's a different term for what's called "proficiency slots" in AD&D?
Like,
- if you have spent one slot for weapon type X, you receive a hit roll bonus while weilding X.
- you have spent two slots for weapon type X, you receive the bonus and an initiative bonus while weilding X.
- if you have spent three slots for weapon type X, you receive both boni and an additional attack while weilding X.
... and so on. I guess.
Only that I'm under the impression that Granado's stances are not cumulative but instead you get to choose one of the few that you have learned, according to the respective situation.

Shirogetsune wrote:
One Shot: Kills the target in a single blow.

Crystal. :P2:

Thanks again.