Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 57  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2007, 1:59 am 
Major Contributor

Saw Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer yesterday and I walked out of the theater with a big "eh."

In fact, I would say that the first movie was probably a little better, even though I'm a big Silver Surfer fan. And the first movie was pretty silly. This one wasn't quite as silly, but when it tried to be serious, I just laughed harder. :lol: Oh and any purists who watch this movie will probably want to claw their eyes out, even more so than the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2007, 6:18 am 
Regular

Saw Shrek 3 last night. Mmmmm, was an OK movie I guess. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the previous two. (The first one was still the best, in my opinion.) The humor in this one leaned a lot more towards slapstick comedy than true comic genius.

Still, go ahead and watch it if you liked the first two movies, but if you're not a Shrek fan, you can give this one a miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2007, 1:22 am 

Just came back from seeing Pirates and Knocked Up.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was a very good movie.

The script, though layered with an incredibly complex plot, was incredibly well thought out and well executed. The performances were up to par (especially our beloved hero, Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp). The special effects were incredible as was the director of photography. The editor and Director seem to do fine with what they're given.

8 outta 10.

I also enjoyed Knocked Up. Although some of the characters were a little stereotypical, they were well thought out, fully evolved, with a lot of funny lines, a solid, interesting plot, and a humorous pace. There was a bit too much profanity, but there was also a lot of great lines and moments that more than make up for it.

Also, 8 outta 10. 8)

SPOILERS ON PIRATES:

Spoiler
The Adict wrote:
Why did she stay on land when she could go on the ship? The other was the rather stiff acting on Deepe's part as Jack, it didn't feel like Jack. But the biggest peeve is the mythology with the Calipso story line and the other, why was it there? And if they were going to put it there why didn't they make it accurate? Calipso was the WHITE Greek goddess of DEATH wife of Hades, She had nothing to do with the sea or water. The only thing I could think of is because it sounded exotic and in modern terms fit the actress. Second was the Flying Dutchman as the ship that carried dead souls across the RIVER stix. Hence, RIVER, not sea, and FARRIE, not an 18th century supernatural man of war.
Outside of that it was a good movie, but they nag the hell out of me and stop me from calling it a gret movie.

The reason she didn't go with him was because she couldn't. Those on board the Flying Dutchman stay on it. Remember when his father told him that the son had to pay off the debt first and then he could be with Elizabeth?

Calypso, though of Greek mythology, can be interpreted in many different ways. What happened to her in this film is the result of mythology created AFTER the history written for Greek Mythology ended. Also, Calypso was NOT the wife of HADES, nor the goddess of death. She was a sea nymph, daughter of Atlas, who delayed Odessyeus on an island named Ogygia, forcing him to sleep with her, leading to a birth of a son named Nausinous (who has no history beyond his conception).

Anyway, the "River" styx can, again, be re-interpreted. It does not literally mean "a river," rather figuratively, as one body of water that flows to one destination, etc. Phlegyas, the originally ferrier of the "river" styx was killed by Apollo in the times of Hellenistic Greece. Since that time, judge screenwriters Ted Elliott, and Terry Rossio, various souls have been cast to do his dirty work (including Davy Jones, and the shit, the flying Dutchman (which was probably chosen by the Gods to be the ship to ferry the dead with, since Phlegyas probably lost his when killed).

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 1:18 am 

I hate to double post, but in this case I have to.:wink:

Saw "La Vie en Rose." The film's good, but the performance is great (the best I've ever seen for an actress -- maybe for anyone). Just see it! :twisted: Overall 9 outta 10. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 7:07 am 
Resident Scholar

AMDS wrote:
Saw "La Vie en Rose." The film's good, but the performance is great (the best I've ever seen for an actress

Who's the actress? What does she "impressingly" do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 10:30 am 

Ummm AMDS ummm where did you get your information? Cuss` the nymph, the ones that livei n the water at least, were the daughters of Posiden the god of the sea. And yes, yes that is the name of the goddess of death. In Greece mythology. I'm pretty certain about this from what I've learned about mythology over years of listening and reading the old myths. But if I'm wrong please give me the site where I can find the correct information. Also um duuu about Elizabeth but she doesn't have a reason not to join the crew, she's got nothing left to tie her to this world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 12:27 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
if I'm wrong please give me the site where I can find the correct information.

I can't quite follow what kind of information you mean, but Mythology concerning gods and saints and stuff can be researched there:

The Godchecker

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2007, 10:15 pm 
Regular

More spoiler-related discussion about Pirates 3:

Spoiler
AMDS wrote:
The reason she didn't go with him was because she couldn't. Those on board the Flying Dutchman stay on it.

Not quite true... Remember those two royal marines who ended up switching sides and joining the pirates? They were able (along with many others of the marines, apparently) were able to go on board the Dutchman and leave without any ill effects.

Plot hole, anyone? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2007, 1:38 am 

Hey you're onto something!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2007, 1:59 am 

In La Vie en Rose, the actress' name is Marion Cotillard. She basically just won the Academy Award for Best Actress in this movie. As for what she did...everything.

Check her out: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0182839/ 8)

ON PIRATES:

Spoiler
Zaxares wrote:
More spoiler-related discussion about Pirates 3:
[spoil]
Remember those two royal marines who ended up switching sides and joining the pirates? They were able (along with many others of the marines, apparently) were able to go on board the Dutchman and leave without any ill effects.

Plot hole, anyone? :twisted:

What I mean by that is that as long as Will is captain of the Flying Dutchman, he has to serve out his time, without anything interfering (e.g.-love). Therefore, even though others may be allowed on board the ship, the person he loves cannot.

...either that or a plot hole. :shock:

The Adict wrote:
Ummm AMDS ummm where did you get your information? Cuss` the nymph, the ones that livei n the water at least, were the daughters of Posiden the god of the sea. And yes, yes that is the name of the goddess of death. In Greece mythology. I'm pretty certain about this from what I've learned about mythology over years of listening and reading the old myths. But if I'm wrong please give me the site where I can find the correct information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_%28mythology%29

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Calypso

I also read up on what you're talking about, but I think the connection in Pirates is toward the nymph on the island who had one of those "forever" unrequited love things, just like with Davy Jones and Calypso, rather than one of 3000 children of Poseidon.

It's possible, since Poseidon had so many children, he ran out of names and they had to use Calypso again, even though it had already been used. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2007, 4:37 am 
Regular

AMDS wrote:
ON PIRATES:

Spoiler
What I mean by that is that as long as Will is captain of the Flying Dutchman, he has to serve out his time, without anything interfering (e.g.-love). Therefore, even though others may be allowed on board the ship, the person he loves cannot.

...either that or a plot hole. :shock:

Yep, more spoilers:

Spoiler
OK, although I don't forgive the movie for not being explicit about it, I've come up with a plausible explanation as to why Elizabeth couldn't stay with Will once he became the Captain of the Dutchman.

The Dutchman's duty is to ferry the souls of those who died at sea to the afterlife. This means that the ship has to spend most (if not all) of its time in that netherworld between the world of the living and the dead. It is THIS place that the living is not meant to go, and a place where the living cannot survive for long (due to lack of food and all that).

In the past, Davy Jones ignored his duty and thus remained in the living world pretty much 24/7, allowing living creatures on his ship to restock and resupply as necessary. Now that Will has taken over the duty, he can't do the same, which means that any living creature on his ship would soon starve and die.

Although I still think it would be an easy matter to pop back into the living world say, once a month, at a pre-arranged location to let off living crew members and replenish supplies. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2007, 1:40 pm 

In response to the Heroes posts before:

Yeah the season finale was a bust. Nothing much to talk about. It pisses me off too that the creator and writers claimed there would be no unanswered questions.

Spoiler
Did Nathan die for sure? What the hell is going on with Hiro? Where did the Haitian go to and who is he really working for? Did Parkman die?(don't care too much)

Also my own theory. Does Peter and Nathan's mother how the power to influence people? You see in the season finale that she tells people to do things and she normally touches them. After she tells people to do this, they normally obey her. Example: Nathan talks about how he wants to do things and she always talks him out of it strangely. In the finale she tells Claire to give her the phone. Claire does not want to but strangely she does.

I might be on to something or just a wild goose chase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2007, 7:07 pm 

Spoiler
Quote:
The Dutchman's duty is to ferry the souls of those who died at sea to the afterlife. This means that the ship has to spend most (if not all) of its time in that netherworld between the world of the living and the dead. It is THIS place that the living is not meant to go, and a place where the living cannot survive for long (due to lack of food and all that).

In the past, Davy Jones ignored his duty and thus remained in the living world pretty much 24/7, allowing living creatures on his ship to restock and resupply as necessary. Now that Will has taken over the duty, he can't do the same, which means that any living creature on his ship would soon starve and die.

Sounds good to me. :D

BTW-I'm hearing that a lot of season finales are busts. I don't watch them, cause I've given up TV for Anime and Movies, but some of the shows I heard went out with a whimper were:

The Sopranos
Heroes
On the Lot (actually I've heard that one's being canceled).

Good thing I've given up Television. lol :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2007, 7:28 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
It's really sad that these people can't seem to end these things correctly. I mean, we stick through the entire season and/or series and for what, just to be let down? I don't know what it is about endings that trouble these people so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2007, 9:08 am 
Resident Scholar

AMDS wrote:

All news to me... :D
I surely have seen her in the first episode of the Highlander series, but, hey, that was more than ten years ago...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 57  Next