Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2007, 6:48 am 
Major Contributor

I just watched the Live Action version of Nodame Cantabile recently and I have to say that its absolutely CRAZY, far more so than even the anime. The acting and backdrops are all just totally over the top, which makes for great television. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2007, 8:35 pm 
Regular

Watched Pirates of the Carribean 3 last night.

Well, to put it bluntly, the movie was a BIG disappointment. Oh, the scenes were well shot and the costuming was excellent, but the pacing had the 'rushed' feeling, the scenes jumped from one to another far too frequently, WAAAAY too many double-crosses, the humor scenes always seemed 'forced', and there weren't any really witty or classic one-liners to bring away from the movie. Even Johnny Depp's performance seemed a bit lacklustre compared to the previous two movies. It was a mediocre end to an otherwise excellent movie trilogy.

At least the ending was a surprise though.

All in all, I'd give it 5.5/10. I'm kinda glad that Pirates 3 ends in such a way that there can't be a sequel. (Although they could do spin-offs on Jack Sparrow, I suppose.)

Oh, and if you do see the movie, remember to hang around until after the credits finish to see the final scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 2:09 pm 

The beginning of it was a tad confusing. With the inane constant double crossing.

But the final battle scene was really fun to watch. Although heck, that East India ship with triple the cannons of like every other ship hanging around helpless without firing a single shot was a bit disappointing. The tit could have at least put up a last ditch fight instead of stoning.

But yeah, I noticed that Jack Sparrow wasn't doing his trademark funny talk with the hands and stuff.

Been watching Heroes for quite a while. I wonder what Season 2 is gonna be like....

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 3:35 pm 

I saw Spider-Man 3 recently. I don't know why everyone's saying it's so bad. I thought it was incredibly well done. There was one too many villans, but it wound up balancing itself out when Osborn came to save Parker's life. Good acting, wonderful production wise, and a pretty solid script, despite all the emotional strings.

8 outta 10. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2007, 2:31 am 
Lurker

For a movie that was the anticipated final chapter to what had been a rather well-received comic to movie adaptation, and with a film budget that exceeded $250 million, Spider-man 3 still had enough sour notes to justify its rather lackluster reviews. It wasn't the balance of villains and interweaving story-lines that made the experience less than memorable for me, nor was it the graphics and fight scenes that stopped me from heralding SP3's praises. I thought Sandman was a good villain, I was never confused about the story-lines or lost amongst the VAST WEB OF MULTIPLE PLOTS (jeez, if people were getting lost during that movie, I fear for the future of the thinking world), and I enjoyed the fight scenes and the vast improvements of the CG. I'm not a rabid Spider-man fan, so story inconsistencies and the like aren't my main concern, as long as it is executed in an acceptable manner.

It was the dialogue that spoiled the movie for me, with various hiccups in lines and rather bland script-writing on the whole that seemed to get proportionally worse as the graphics and budget ramped up higher and higher. Raise my father back from the dead or something along those corny lines was a particularly bad bit of drivel early on in the movie. You going to kill me like you did my father? etc etc... Most of Harry Osbourne's lines were rather... lackluster, although James Franco did manage to convey a believable enough performance. Gotta make due with what you're given, I suppose, and it's hard to act off bad writing. It seemed like a terrible way to go about shaping the Harry Osbourne character, trying to convey the complex and conflicting nature of Harry through such cheesy lines and angry outbursts that any eight year old throwing a tantrum could cook up. And the scene with Harry and the butler towards the end... oh LORD, it just seemed like such an easy way to go about explaining what happened next, and seemed like such a drastic change it character that it was hardly believable.

Topher Grace... Topher Grace... ugh, Topher Grace. Such a HORRIBLE Eddie Brock. Maybe it's just the horrendous writing, but I HATED Topher Grace in the movie, and not because he was a villain. God, could you please kill Peter Parker. Now, I understand that he's supposed to be decimated by the tough breaks that he brought upon himself, and that he's probably feeling dejected and depressed. But, that HORRIBLE line coupled with his rather pitiful and weak delivery made me want to vomit in pain. People probably ask God to do a lot of things, and maybe some people even ask for that sort of thing. But that's... well, I'm not going to sugarcoat it, that line was fuckin terrible. Who's writing this, really? Couldn't get anymore creative than a direct plea for a supernatural hit? I guess I shouldn't have expected any better from people who thought a proper Harry Osbourne retort to Parker was bring my father back from the dead. Childish, unimaginative writing, I swear! And the way in which Topher Grace delivered and acted out all of these lines... God, if anyone enjoyed his acting and thought that he did a good job... I can't even... begin to list the sheer amount of complaints I have against his performance in SP3. I like him in That 70's Show, and I do think he can branch out of pure comedy. Just, this particular movie... AAARGH!

Just the thought of the Eddie Brock portrayal in the movie... dammit, I can't even write anymore, I just wanna punch a frickin baby I'm so annoyed. >< EXPENSIVE MOVIES SHOULD AT LEAST PAY FOR GOOD WRITING. Or at LEAST, know when NOT to talk. There were moments where no words were needed; the emotion during the moment was raw enough to be almost palpable. The audience knew, or should have known, what was going through the characters heads without some terrible lines to walk them through it. Oh he's maaaaad, but I'm not SURE that he's mad. Maybe his face just looks like that, or maybe that's just the way he normally acts- OH, he just said he's maaaad. Yup, that confirms it. Phew, I was so fuckin undecided for a moment there. The goddamn actors are doing their job of conveying emotion already, you don't need to spoil the mood by talking, especially if you've got nothing significant to say...

If it was just another modest budget film without the shadow of the last two movies looming over it, maybe the reviews wouldn't have been so harsh. Thems the breaks.

SO MUCH WASTED POTENTIAL. WHY WEREN'T YOU EPIC, SPIDER-MAN 3, WHY!?!?!??

( >_>)
(<_< )

... So um, Scrubs. 1 hour season finale (at least, I think it was the finale). JD, yooooooooooooooooooo, you craaaaaaaazy...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2007, 8:53 pm 

Ha I saw Pirates 3 the other day too...friday I think it was...anyways...

In my opinion it wasnt bad...had funny scenes and good action...but that whole Calipso thing.....I would have left that out....felt out of place...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2007, 9:24 pm 
Major Contributor

Kesshi wrote:
... So um, Scrubs. 1 hour season finale (at least, I think it was the finale). JD, yooooooooooooooooooo, you craaaaaaaazy...............

That Scrubs finale left kinda pissed at the writers for leaving us with such a huge cliffhanger, even bigger IMO than the Season 5 cliffhanger . . . :x

Anyways, speaking of season finales, I thought the Heroes finale was a little lackluster, the final might not being as epic as the build up to it seemed to imply. I also don't like the idea that Sylar may be coming back sometime in the future, since it is implied by the finale that he isn't dead. I personally think the Sylar character has pretty much been given the full flesh out and really seeing him dead for sure was the best way to end things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 5:03 am 

spazmaster666 wrote:
\I also don't like the idea that Sylar may be coming back sometime in the future, since it is implied by the finale that he isn't dead. I personally think the Sylar character has pretty much been given the full flesh out and really seeing him dead for sure was the best way to end things.

Yeah pretty much I wished
Spoiler
the bastard would just stay dead for once. God knows how many near deaths he managed to worm his ass out of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2007, 5:20 am 
Major Contributor

Anyone remember the "After Dark Horrorfest" from not too long ago? Last film I watched all the way through was a feature from that called Reincarnation. It's actually called "Rinne" if you wish to look it up on the imdb, it was just retitled for theatrical relase and R1 DVD release as part of Lionsgate's Horrorfest line. It's co-written and directed by Takashi Shimizu, who also directed The Grudge. Good film that reminded me a lot of Perfect Blue. I can admit that while Reincarnation isn't really the same plot as Perfect Blue, the live action film gets confusing towards the end the way Perfect Blue did before we find out who the killer is. I kinda hope I don't get part of this post hidden; I'd like people to see both films and I didn't want to spoil anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 10:32 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
spazmaster666 wrote:
Speaking of season finales, I thought the Heroes finale was a little lackluster, the final might not being as epic as the build up to it seemed to imply.

I could not agree more. I was very disappointed by how anti-climatic the end fight was.
Spoiler
It was like, (Sylar) "Hey watch me as I own all of you, oh hey, look at that guy trying to stab me with a sword, oh crap, I really should have stopped that." It should have been a much longer and hard fought battle, with Peter actually doing something. I wanted some good old DBZ esque fighting, with huge power explosions and everyone joining in trying to take out Sylar. Maybe in the future we will get some battles like that with Peter, as he gets better with his powers. Sylar totally could have stopped Hiro from stabbing him with how far away he teleported in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2007, 11:36 pm 

I just watched Pirates of the Carribean 3, I have to say I liked it better then the second, had a stronger plot, better and more thought out double crosses, most importantly extremely good fight scenes especially the last one.

What stops me from singing it praises down the street are my pet peevs.
Spoiler
One the endings, outside of Jack's. Why did she stay on land when she could go on the ship? The other was the rather stiff acting on Deepe's part as Jack, it didn't feel like Jack. But the biggest peeve is the mythology with the Calipso story line and the other, why was it there? And if they were going to put it there why didn't they make it accurate? Calipso was the WHITE Greek goddess of DEATH wife of Hades, She had nothing to do with the sea or water. The only thing I could think of is because it sounded exotic and in modern terms fit the actress. Second was the Flying Dutchman as the ship that carried dead souls across the RIVER stix. Heance RIVER not sea and FARRIE not an 18th centure supernatural man of war.
Outside of that it was a good movie, but they nag the hell out of me and stop me from calling it a gret movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2007, 12:36 am 
Major Contributor

I dunno if I'm gonna see Pirates, but that's just because I haven't been following the series at all. Watching sequels of movies you haven't seen is like watching Avent Children; it was okay as a stand alone feature but it would have really helped a lot if I'd played the original game first just for some back story.

For summer movies, I'd rather wait out the month and watch the Transformers movie that should be out the 4th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2007, 2:18 pm 
Resident Scholar

I was watching "The Passion of Christ" the other day, believe it or not. 8)
I am not a religious person and the movie will not make me one, but still this movie contains the most vivid and moving presentation of flogging and scourching (not to mention a crucification) I have ever seen. I find it all the more remarkable because you usually only see such things in horror or related kinds of B-movies.
Well. I'd say I felt more sorry for the guy than during my three years in kindergarten (which were full of details of such kind, including oral reports from war zones delivered by the responsible nun)!
Holy Christ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2007, 2:25 am 

Just came back from Shrek 3. Cute. Not great. Not meant to be. Though the writer did an exceptional job of adding some very intriguing lessons to the story. 7 outta 10. If you're a fan, see it. And if you're not, but want to leave with something reassured, then see it, also. :mrgreen:

BTW-About a year ago I had a chat with a professor at NYU who was the supervisor for one of the writers of Shrek 3. Right next to me, sitting on a dry-erase board was the script to "Shrek 4" :shock:

I actually scanned the first page of it. It was pretty funny. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2007, 11:51 am 
Resident Scholar

Last week, I saw an episode of "Jericho", apparantly the very first episode.
It's being aired in Germany as well, so far so good, and I figured that a big part of the suspense comes from guessing whether the nuclear blast was caused deliberately by some person or faction or by accident - am I wrong?

Now then, there is a "feature" of German TV marketing which I really, really hate:
They usually add some kinda subtitle to the original title.
Like "Charmed" became "Charmed - Bezaubernde Schwestern" ("Charming/Bewitching Sisters").
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" became "Buffy - Im Bann der Daemonen" (like "under the spell of the Demons").
Just examples.

And now they come along with "Jericho" and rename it "Jericho - Der Anschlag" which is to say:
"Jericho - The Attack"
I feel rather pissed by that habit. In this case they are either leading the audience in a completely wrong direction or they have given away a major matter of suspense, and I'm pretty sure the latter is the case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 849 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next