Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 31st, 2014, 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragonball Z Movie!
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2007, 1:48 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Dragonball Z Movie Info

Looks like they are finally going to get a move on with making this movie. How it will actually work out in the end I have no idea, but I am stoked on it regardless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2007, 3:50 am 
Post Master

Live action DBZ? Hard to think of what that will be like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2007, 4:43 am 
Resident Admin

Well, with a 100 million+ budget I would hope they would be able to do something cool. I know that low budget films look rather cheesy when they try to do super-power type stuff. So only time will tell I guess.

Here is a page with some cast info, though I think it is rather dated at this point, so don't hold your breath on any of it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2007, 1:42 pm 
Resident Scholar

Personally I don't put so much hope in that movie. The many adaptations from the last years were, uh, improvable (to say something positive), but, of course, this is only my opinion. Mortal Kombat, anyone? Streetfighter?
Heck, has anyone of you seen the old Dragonball live-action movie?
That Chinese-Indian coproduction (English dub available)? It was so bad it was actually fun watching it, altogether with a bottle of sake or something... man, that was one great evening... :D
Still I'd watch the new movie - just to be able to talk about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2007, 4:05 pm 
Lurker

A Dragonball Z movie? Have a bunch of jacked asian men doing wire-work fighting while speeding the frames up enough so that it blurs into near obscurity. Then have the combatants squat down in a constipated pose for 30-40 minutes, screaming as though they're passing kidney stones until they finally turn Aryan... I mean, super saiyan... >.>

Must... gain... power! >.<;; Asian... not cutting it... must... turn... white! AAAAAAAAAH..... SHAZAM! ÜBERMENSCH LEVEL!!!

Oh, and ludicrously spikey hair. You gotta have the big hair.

<.< So maybe I don't like DBZ much... >.> Maybe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 12:44 am 
Resident Admin

Kesshi,

Wow, well that was hate filled. I would imagine a non-DBZ fan wouldn't be very stoked on the movie, but thanks for putting it so eloquently :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 3:00 am 

I might watch it just to see how they pull it off. It'd be good for a few laughs if you watch it with the right set of mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 5:14 am 
Lurker

Hey, not gonna lie, I'm gonna see it too for the same reason Storm's seein it. Who knows, it might be mildly surprising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 11:23 am 

Oh dear god, please tell me its not true.

Am I going to watch it yes, for storm's reason too, after which I expect my eyes to bleed, my ear to go death, my skin to peel off and to spend the rest of my life searching for anyone involved and CRUSIFING them!!

Let's face it, a Dragon Ball Z live action movie is going to suck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 12:54 pm 
Resident Admin

I swear you people are so pessimistic! I would imagine these people have some idea on how they are going to work this without making it like some low budget 1980 martial arts film. If they didn't see how they could work it, they wouldn't be investing over 100 million in the project.

As a side note, The Covenant, a crappy movie with fairly well done DBZ style super-powers (Minus the beams) had a ~20 million dollar budget, so with over 100 million they should be able to do something.

The Adict wrote:
Oh dear god, please tell me it's not true.

This is a rather comical statement. It's as if them making this movie will have some sort of negative effect on you. What exactly would that be? As you aren't forced to see this movie and not seeing it would basically be the same to you as it not being made. I am very curious; I have seen similar statements in different forums and it makes zero sense to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 8:12 pm 
Lurker

Maybe they intend for their comments to mean that they're afraid that bad features would negatively impact the anime community by giving non-anime enthusiasts the wrong impression about the bulk of anime? *shrug* Iunno, just a guess...

Or they could just mean that, although they aren't being forced to watch it, the mere thought of something potentially horrendous being loosed upon the world sickens them? I'm not particularly affected by many of the unpleasantries of the outside world, but I still cringe at the thought of some of them. A rather extreme comparison, especially just for a movie, but that could explain that sort of comment.

And a huge budget doesn't necessarily mean that the movie will look ok. Yeah, people have done more with less, but the reverse is true too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 10:06 pm 

It's such a statement of strong disbelief and wishing it weren't so. I hate it when the make even a decent anything and majorly mess with it when the transit to a different realm. And yes I am forced to watch by my otakuness!!! In all truth it will probably never get translated so I don't have to worry. Besides OH MY GOD, PLEASE TELL ME IT NOT TRUE, its a joke!!!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 10:57 pm 
Resident Admin

Kesshi wrote:
Maybe they intend for their comments to mean that they're afraid that bad features would negatively impact the anime community by giving non-anime enthusiasts the wrong impression about the bulk of anime? *shrug* Iunno, just a guess...

Or they could just mean that, although they aren't being forced to watch it, the mere thought of something potentially horrendous being loosed upon the world sickens them? I'm not particularly affected by many of the unpleasantries of the outside world, but I still cringe at the thought of some of them. A rather extreme comparison, especially just for a movie, but that could explain that sort of comment.

My question was rhetorical (blame my poor phrasing), but thank you for pointing out a couple of reasons nevertheless. While both of your reasons are probably two reasons why, the fact is that I find them both weak in general terms, thus they make no sense to me in that respect. If you don't think you are going to like the movie, don't see it. Don't go around saying how it should never be made because you yourself wont enjoy it so thus it is a piece of crap and should never see the light of day. It is a rather egocentric way to look at it. I can see the negative impact to the anime community more-so than the other, but I still find it a weak reason for not wanting them to make a live action movie. It's not like DBZ wasn't shown in the US already, or that it has anything objectionable in it. (I know these aren't your personal points, I am just responding to the points, it isn't directed at you personally).

Kesshi wrote:
And a huge budget doesn't necessarily mean that the movie will look ok. Yeah, people have done more with less, but the reverse is true too.

I wasn't trying to say that a huge budget would inherently make it look good.. I was simply saying that since a movie with a much lower budget, which has similar special effects as the DBZ movie would have, one could reason that they will be able to pull off the special effects and not have them look crappy. I never said this will happen, just that it could work. There also seems to be another misconception here, I do not think the movie is going to be good, I hope it is going to be good. They are going to have to do things correctly for it to end up good, but it is do-able because they (hopefully) have a large enough budget to work with.

The Adict,

It is being made by 20th Century Fox which bought the rights to a live action DBZ movie in 2002. Thus, it is being made for us in the first place. (Though, take that as you may).

The_Adict wrote:
OH MY GOD, PLEASE TELL ME IT NOT TRUE, its a joke!!!! Laughing Laughing

I'm glad to hear that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2007, 10:17 am 

Oh no, that makes it worse. I have yet to see an American anime or remake of anime that wasn't complete GARRBAGE, poor poor DBZ. Sure it's over hyped, slow, with shallow character and ran far to long but it didn't deserve that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2007, 9:22 pm 

Ha watching a DBZ movie would be like watching the Matrix or the One I assume...