Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 10:30 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ichi the Killer
PostPosted: January 14th, 2011, 8:20 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
I watched Ichi the Killer, the live-action version by Miike Takashi, and I must say I am not pleased.

The story is about the child-like Ichi whose inferiority complex has turned him into a sadist. On the other hand he is a skilled fighter and his guardian Jiji channels Ichi's energies into a hitman career.
In order to obtain the 300 million Yen fortune of the Anj├┤ Yakuza clan he directs Ichi toward the destruction of the gang by convincing him they were bullies who needed to be punished...

I don't feel the need to describe the plot in more words. There's even no need to use many words to describe the main character: Ichi is the Forrest Gump of the splatter genre. Just more whiney and less lucky.
The movie has gallons of blood, tons of cut-off limbs and guts, and different sorts of torture galore.

What makes it kinda interesting is the cast and crew... with Miike Takashi being the director you can bet it will be a strange kinda show you're gonna see. Among the actors there are at least three directors: Tsukamoto Shinya, director of Tetsuo, Sabu, who is still rather unknown, and Matsuo Suzuki, who is a real multitalent as a director and actor in TV and on stage.

On the one hand the movie is mesmerizing because of the extreme characters that are involved, and on the other hand it is absolutely deterring because of the exaggerated level of violence and bloodshed.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ichi the Killer
PostPosted: January 14th, 2011, 12:56 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
I've seen the movie and have it on DVD. It's a rather confusing tale as one would expect of a Takeshi Miike film. Did Audition make much sense even as they tried their best to explain the complicated bits?

From what i could comprehend from the prequels, both the anime OVA and the direct to video movie, Jijii seems to be a former cop whom sees the potential in Ichi to take down his main target Kakihara and so he uses his hypno techniques to control Ichi into doing his bidding and he also plays both sides of the Yakuza groups for fools since it seems that what he really wants is to take down all the Yakuza but since he's apparently not a cop anymore, this is his alternate way of putting the plan into action.

Another confusing bit is the end of the movie.
Spoiler
Jijii seems delighted that Ichi killed Kakihara but then he gets shocked when Ichi's mark is not on Kakihara's face that would confirm an Ichi kill. Kakihara killed himself in all his excitement so it wasn't the victory Jijii was seeking and later, he supposedly hangs himself. But then, a grown up figure looks at the body hanging from the tree and it somewhat implies that the teen is Takeshi, Kaneko's son who managed to kill Jijii at some point after beating up Ichi to death with his kicks and is not under Jijii's control since he managed to end him. It was also implied that Jijii discovered that it must've been Takeshi who killed Ichi due to the brief shot of Takeshi kicking away at Ichi from an upward angle.


I put spoilers on it for those who haven't seen it, just in case. Hope you don't mind, but that's at least how the ending makes sense to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ichi the Killer
PostPosted: January 15th, 2011, 4:19 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
G-Core wrote:
I put spoilers on it for those who haven't seen it, just in case.

In accordance with that:
G-Core wrote:
Spoiler
Jijii seems delighted that Ichi killed Kakihara but then he gets shocked when Ichi's mark is not on Kakihara's face that would confirm an Ichi kill.

Now that's odd, and I thought it was a mistake on the director's side.
Spoiler
I clearly remember the scene where Ichi is hacking a heel blade into Kakihara's forehead, and when Jiji looks at Kakihara in the yard the wound is gone.


G-Core wrote:
Spoiler
(Jiji) supposedly hangs himself. But then, a grown up figure looks at the body hanging from the tree and it somewhat implies that the teen is Takeshi, Kaneko's son who managed to kill Jijii at some point after beating up Ichi to death with his kicks

That's another odd thing you say, because
Spoiler
I also remember just as clearly that Ichi killed Takeshi. You don't see the move, but you see Takeshi's body lying on the roof and Ichi holding and then dropping his head before he attacks Kakihara.
I thought the person looking up to Jiji's dangling body was Ichi.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ichi the Killer
PostPosted: January 15th, 2011, 4:38 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
Spoiler
When Kakihara put the needles inside his ears to take away his sense of hearing because he was sad that Ichi wasn't gonna kill him and he couldn't take any more whining from Ichi, you notice during that sequence of Ichi now standing with Takeshi's cut off head, the scene has barely any sound so it's rather reflective of Kakihara's deafness in more ways than one. I feel it's somewhat implied that what Kakihara perceives to be happening after he cuts off his hearing is his own dream sequence of being killed by Ichi and his falling off the roof was more of an accidental suicide, something like that. Due to all the excitement his ideal way of being killed was giving him. Also, the last time we see Kakihara "alive" in that dark blue pit, it's been theorized that it's his vision of what Hell is like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ichi the Killer
PostPosted: January 15th, 2011, 6:10 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
G-Core wrote:
Spoiler
When Kakihara put the needles inside his ears to take away his sense of hearing because he was sad that Ichi wasn't gonna kill him and he couldn't take any more whining from Ichi, you notice during that sequence of Ichi now standing with Takeshi's cut off head, the scene has barely any sound so it's rather reflective of Kakihara's deafness in more ways than one. I feel it's somewhat implied that what Kakihara perceives to be happening after he cuts off his hearing is his own dream sequence of being killed by Ichi and his falling off the roof was more of an accidental suicide, something like that.

Hm, not enough evidence to convince me.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ichi the Killer
PostPosted: January 15th, 2011, 6:22 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
42317 wrote:
Hm, not enough evidence to convince me.

Spoiler
Ichi was hypnotized into believing that Kaneko is his brother and that is not true. Takeshi, Kaneko's son, struck up a frienship with Ichi due to his similarities in terms of being bullied a lot. During the roof confrontation, Ichi is so convinced and tries to convince Kaneko that they're brothers and Kaneko is in utter denial to the point that he shoots Ichi and that was enough pain to get him into berserker mode and kill his "brother". When he realizes what he did, he breaks into hysterical crying and Takeshi feels betrayed by his supposed new friend especially because his dad Kaneko was his only family. Which compells Takeshi to kick down on Ichi while he's crying on the floor. What happens after that is left to speculation. A very confusing scenario indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group