Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An idea for a Bishôjo plot
PostPosted: October 26th, 2008, 9:30 pm 

I had an idea for a Harem story wandering in my head since a while ago... since I imagined that it's something not easy to be written in form of a novel or a short story, I'll post it here just to do something with it.

I'll use the names and places that I had in mind, but the story can happen anywhere in a Western country and the names can be altered at convenience.

We'd have a boy called Jon (Basque name), who is not what you'd say an "official cute guy", more in the line of what I suggested in the Princess Code thread, who comes from the Basque region to the Canary Islands (that'd be, from the northernmost part of Spain to the southmost, which are as well my hometown) in order to make a "fresh start" in his life.

He starts a college career (I thought of History) in the Canaries and he seeks for a job in order to pay his expenses. After a while, Jon finds a job as a security guard in a museum. The reason why he takes the job is because the night guards are paid incredibly high sums. He researches and he finds that the museum, called Lercaro House, is supposed to be haunted, something which dissuades many from accepting the job.

The story is simple: in the 17th century, the rich Lercaro family had arranged a marriage for their youngest daughter, Catalina. She was to marry a rich old man whom she despised. After suffering huge pressures from her family, she decides to take away her own life and throws herself from the highest part of the house to the ground, breaking her neck as she fell. From there on, repeated reports of strange noises, moving doors and all paranormal paraphernalia had convinced people that the ghost of Catalina Lercaro was still sauntering.

Those strange noises, moving doors and stuff were more attractive than scary for our Jon, who as well profited from the extravagant wages. But one night (not the first one after getting the job), after an event which is considered abnormal (I had thought of a moon eclipse, but that "abnormal event" could be anything else) he finds a pale, small, chubby and exquisite girl with absolutely weird clothes (such a 17th century nightdress would be) lying on the floor... It's no guesswork for us to find out who that girl should be: the famous Catalina Lercaro

That scene of the "encounter" is where I got stuck on. I guess this could be a good way to find a solution for it.

Ironically, I had the next part of the story in mind: somehow, Jon manages to convince Catalina to stay at his own house, after being persuaded of her identity. She accepts reluctantly, since she has nowhere to go, but the interaction between an innocent, yet passionate and attractive maiden of the 17th century, and a boy who lives 4 centuries ahead should lead to curious events, since she'll have to learn to live a normal girl's life which differs a lot from her own...

Not only will Jon have to deal with Catalina; there is a girl in his college, who is an expert in the 17th century, who is truly stunning and who will try more than a trck in order to conquer his heart. Maybe the search of the truths of Catalina may bring Jon to the arms of this girl... or maybe not.

In addition, the boss of Jon is a girl, and certainly one to be paid attention to. Jon has to deal with her, as well, because she's very knowledgeable of the Lercaro House, which seems to be the core of all the mistery surrounding Catalina Lercaro; plus, if it is discovered that there is no ghost anymore or that Jon is not making a good job, he'll lose his income source; and aside of that, the boss is a hottie as well!

More girls would be required, but I had considered an additional male character: Jon's nephew, who is only months younger than Jon himself, does come a bit later to the Canaries, and he's a good-looking, more extroverted and outgoing guy, who will be able to compete with Jon for the attention of the girls if Jon doesn't keep an eye on him.

As you can see, it's sort of an embrionary story, which should be polished in order to be used for a plot or something like that, but I found it interesting to discuss with people who are knowledgeable about love poligons, harems and stuff.

Post subject: Re: An idea for a Bishôjo plot
PostPosted: October 27th, 2008, 2:31 am 
Regular

Hmmm...

Location: A very nice change of pace from other Bishoujo games (both the geographical location and the museum/house).

Plot: While there are cliche elements, that's not a bad thing (It's impossible to avoid cliches, and storytelling is the important thing anyway). The mystery behind Catalina could provide a nice amount of drama and the interactions between the characters would provide plenty of opportunities for development and humor.

Characters:

Jon: Why he chose to make a fresh start, as well as why he is more introverted than his nephew will really determine the likability of this character (and allow him a chance to stand out from other leads).

The history buff: Hmmm...this character could be quite interesting...but I need a bit more information.

Jon's boss: This is were the cliche meter might start going off...but let's check a few things first:

1. Is she head of security, or is she the head of the museum (or standing in for the head of the museum)?

2. What socioeconomic class is she?

3. Is she already kind of attracted to Jon, but hiding it by being a ball buster? Or is she neutral to Jon at the begining?

Also, why would Jon get fired if there was no ghost? Even if the paranormal activity decreased, the museum would still need guards (though it would be pretty funny if Jon and other characters had to fake a haunting).

Jon's nephew: Hmmm...is he a douchebag, or is he a generally nice guy who can't stay away from the ladies?

Still, I'm kinda liking it (I'd write more, but it's pretty late here). If there's anymore you have, I'd be glad to hear it.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: October 27th, 2008, 7:17 am 

This is the feedback I had dreamed of, one which makes me ask new questions to myself :D

Jon's fresh start:

You might know, and if not, I'll tell you, that the Basque land is the base for a terrorist group called ETA, who claim that they strive for the independence of the Basque country. Since the Canaries are islands which can be easily sealed off if an attack occurs, ETA has never striked here. Maybe Jon had been threatened by them or had suffered injuries in a recent attack and, since he has no close family in his place anymore (his nephew would come from somewhere else out of the Basque country), he finds it easier to make a fresh start where he can be safe.
Anyways, that would come off the top of my head. I guess there are less dramatic reasons for fresh starts that could be suggested, even if such a background would explain part of his introverted character and limited sociability.

The history buff should be a girl in the same major as him (history), who'd be some years ahead, maybe close to finish the degree, or maybe having finished it, but studying for a doctorate (in a 17th century subject) just after her major. Regardless of the case, she's a brilliant student, full of A's as if she was a subprime-related asset in 2005 :lol: . I had thought that Jon might see her first in the museum, where they have a brief chit-chat in one of the day guards he has (turns are exchangeable, and everyone likes to have morning turns and see the sun too :mrgreen: ), and then they meet again at college, unexpectedly, beginning their interaction from there on.

Jon's boss
is the character I have developed less. She'd be in charge of the security, not of the museum; she'd be a couple of years older than Jon (late twenties, while Jon would be 21); in fact, I had at first imagined her as a butch lesbian, but now I guess she'd be more feminine, even if she should keep a look of strength. I guess she'd be working-class, such as Jon is. At first she'd be neutral to him (Jon's attractive needs time to develop inside the girls), but I guess that, if the game is to really start once Jon meets Catalina, his boss would have had time to be attracted. Nevertheless, I don't really know where the starting point would be.

If there is no ghost, Jon will be fired because there will be no reason to pay him (and the other guards) those heaps of money, and since they wouldn't accept their wages cut, they'll have to put their brains to work.

Jon's nephew
would be another type of person: people in Andalusia (another region of Spain; the southmost part of the Iberic Peninsula, actually) have a reputation of being extroverted, humorous and spontaneous (I have relatives around there who really match the stereotype :D). Such traits should make a heavy contrast with Jon's and make him sympathetic to the audience. I wonder how he could get integrated in Jon's life though. Of course, it's probable that he lives with him ("until I find some place", whose search will get delayed once the nephew sees what girls Jon is related with :lol2: ), but I don't see 100% how would he relate to the girls in order to compete. Maybe he would not compete for all of them, which would create the need for another competitor character.

Aside of that, I had thought of two further girls to increase the love polygon: one would be one of Jon's neighbors, an absolutely kawaii girl who has been confined on a wheelchair after a car accident, and who earns her life with translations... she'd be one of the geeky kind, since she's always working on a comp and has developed a liking for reading, videogames and animanga. Her cuteness is to be emphasized, so Jon would have trouble to resist her when she begs him with shiny eyes to go out with her and push her wheelchair while taking a walk.

The other new girl would be an exchange student who appears in university. She's damn hot, and she knows it. Her whole self is on vacation: she wears incredibly light clothes for the seasons of the year, she's provocative and sort of light-headed, as if she was in the beach and could make all the boys invite her to drinks just by teasing 'em a bit... yet she meets Jon in some of her subjects, and she's interested on such a guy who does (apparently) not fall instantly for her and her blessed body.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 11:21 am 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
We'd have a boy called Jon (Basque name), (...) who comes from the Basque region (...).

Have you ever noticed that people's origins, especially in Japanese media products, carry a certain connotation? (Yes you have, I read it below, but I'm still mentioning it for those who haven't read it.) You know, like the guy from Osaka, who speaks strange and has a less conservative mindset than Toky people. In that context I'd say that "the Basque region" comes along with a pretty strong political connotation.

Bloodfairy wrote:
He researches and he finds that the museum, called Lercaro House, is supposed to be haunted, something which dissuades many from accepting the job.

"Supposed"? Now, are there paranormal phenomena or are there not?
And if there is something spooky, it should be subtle... scary, but still explainable by those who doubt the existence of ghosts. The shadow is scarier that the monster that might lurk in it. That's why The Blair Witch Project is so good. :D

Bloodfairy wrote:
17th century Spain

Hm... Habsburg era... involvement in the Thirty-Years-War... war against the United Provinces... deafeats against the French under Louis XIV., and eventually the 18th century beginning with the War of the Spanish Succession... there's some background to be found for the flashback characters. :mrgreen:

Bloodfairy wrote:
paranormal paraphernalia

Cool denotation.
So you're exploring the less usual meaning of the term, paraphernalia.
(I always thought of that as "things you need for a special purpose".)

Bloodfairy wrote:
he finds a pale, small, chubby and exquisite girl with absolutely weird clothes

"Chubby"? You mean, like in "a little overweight"?

... you're not talking about a goth-loli style character, are you? *shiver*

Bloodfairy wrote:
she'll have to learn to live a normal girl's life which differs a lot from her own...

Does she? That depends on whether she's a living girl or an undead spirit.

Bloodfairy wrote:
there is a girl in his college, who is an expert in the 17th century

A girl with a high proficiency in history? Those are rare... therefore I like the idea. Still, the Spanish 17th century is mostly a history of economic, political and military decline. I don't wanna sound sexist, but how are you going to make a girl with such interests appear believably?

... she must be a tomboy or tsundere! :lol:

Bloodfairy wrote:
the boss of Jon is a girl

Rather: "a woman", I suppose.
Who says there cannot be MILFs in bishôjo games? :D
But if "O-Kaa-san type" is too much, the "O-Nee-san type" will surely do.

Cab329 wrote:
why would Jon get fired if there was no ghost?

I think he wouldn't be fired, but his "Poltergeist bonus" would be withdrawn.

Bloodfairy wrote:
the Basque land is the base for a terrorist group called ETA

Ah, now we're talking business...

Bloodfairy wrote:
Maybe Jon had been threatened by them or had suffered injuries in a recent attack and, since he has no close family in his place anymore

That is something like I wanted to imply.
Actually, he could be the black sheep in an ETA-involved family, advocating the unity of Spain: "Can't we just get along? It's not like Basques were hunted down and summarily shot..."

Bloodfairy wrote:
I had at first imagined her as a butch lesbian

What the heck is that?

Bloodfairy wrote:
If there is no ghost, Jon will be fired because there will be no reason to pay him (and the other guards) those heaps of money

As I meant to say, the museum still needs night guards, right? But without an undead deterrent the pay will be lower. Still, night shift should be paid higher than normal service (I suggest 20-25 %).

Bloodfairy wrote:
an absolutely kawaii girl who has been confined on a wheelchair after a car accident...

Isn't that asking a bit much? I mean, this idea has a very nice social appeal, but else... girls in bandages have been a moe concept for a while (compare Ayanami Rei)... in case she has lost her legs her part could lean towards the guro concept... plus her sitting position leaves her mouth at a favorable height in relation to him standing upright... I can't help it, but that picture feels kinda awkward. :|

And, please: no such clichée like "His love gives her hope and strength and soon she miraculously relearns how to walk!"
That's so hackneyed... :shifty:

But... with a Spanish setting this calls for Mammary Intercourse... also known as "Spanish Sex" in Germany (whereas it's obviously called "French F*ck" in the UK, which in turn we use to describe oral intercourse...) :mrgreen:
Anyways, let me point out that the German Wikipedia article about mammary intercourse also describes a homosexual version which is absent from the English text. You learn something new every day... :P

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 12:31 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
42317 wrote:
"Supposed"? Now, are there paranormal phenomena or are there not?
And if there is something spooky, it should be subtle... scary, but still explainable by those who doubt the existence of ghosts. The shadow is scarier that the monster that might lurk in it. That's why The Blair Witch Project is so good. :D

The Blair Witch Project was a rip-off of Cannibal Holocaust without the social commentary. Then again, it's way more f*cked up than The Blair Witch Project, but it was an influence.

Anyway, it's a very interesting and rather unique idea for a bishoujo game, Bloodfairy. Btw, what does ETA stand for?

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 12:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
Btw, what does ETA stand for?

Hey, I'm not inserting all these links for the fun of it... :crap:
Researching my posts does cost a bit of time you know. :sigh:

ETA = Euskadi Ta Askatasuna, Basque for "Basque Homeland and Freedom"

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 12:55 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
42317 wrote:
Gojira wrote:
Btw, what does ETA stand for?

Hey, I'm not inserting all these links for the fun of it... :crap:
Researching my posts does cost a bit of time you know. :sigh:

ETA = Euskadi Ta Askatasuna, Basque for "Basque Homeland and Freedom"

Oops. :oops: Once again, I tend to overlook stuff at times so please bear with me.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2008, 2:11 pm 

The Canary Islands, due to their distance from the Peninsula, do have a history which is less connected to the Spanish Kingdom than what it would seem. Thus, since politics were attended in Europe and in America, the Canaries were the bridge everyone used and noone cared about (we were just growing exportable vines at the time).

Quote:
"Chubby"? You mean, like in "a little overweight"?

Yup, somehow overweight. Remember that beauty canons have changed, and that someone like this
would be the real hottie of the time. I imagined she'd be somehow overweight (and thus very desirable for her time), but not as much as she herself would desire, according to her standard.

What if the history geek is more interested in the society of the time, more than the political events? That should make her eager to know things about how people of the time behaved, dressed, ate, looked like or thought about the role of the woman. Besides, even if the 17th century is of military and political decline, we call it "The Golden Century/Age" since our culture got expanded with incredible writers such as Cervantes, Lope de Vega, Quevedo, Góngora, Tirso de Molina and Calderón de la Barca... :bow: .

I guess the security boss might be older... sophisticated sensuality of experience, and stuff :P Aside of that, she'd be more ready to grasp the charm of someone like Jon, who might seem too serious or "mature" for his age.
A "butch" means "tomboyish girl". In fact, it has a stronger meaning of masculinity. They tend to be the "man" in a lesbian couple (I had a time where I wanted to be a butch, thank God I got out). The opposing word would be "femme".

About the disabled girl, I never thought of bandages or stuff. She could be perfectly healed, except for having a spinal cord injury which has severed her nerves on the legs and just impedes her to walk. Regrettably, love can't heal those injuries :(
I was thinking about one of the Playing Characters of .Hack//Sign, Suzuki,
Spoiler
which is controlled by a girl in a wheelchair. In the last chapter there is a tear-jerking meeting between her and the controller of Tsukasa, who is a girl as well, the one who had been ages in hospital.
Oh, God, how I love that anime :oops: :bow: :bow:

Quote:
Actually, he could be the black sheep in an ETA-involved family, advocating the unity of Spain: "Can't we just get along? It's not like Basques were hunted down and summarily shot..."

The truth is, ETA was born when Franco was in power, and since it provided an armed alternative against his regime, many ETA members got tortured and summarily shot. Both people who actually made strikes and supporters suffered torture in many cases and summary processes sometimes. The most left-winged Basque parties are ambiguous or actually support ETA (which has costed some of them to get illegalized and prosecuted by justice), and they justify it by saying that the now governing Spanish regime still considers the Basques as part of Spain, and that they torture ETA members as well, so there's "no difference" between Franco-ism and the Spanish government of today.

Back to the plot, I like the idea of the black sheep. In fact, there are some small towns where the pro-terrorist left-wing gets (or would get) more than 90% of support in elections. If Jon disagreed in some way with the mainstream of his hometown (e.g, he may be a Basque independentist, too, but he strongly condemns violence) that would set him aside of his fellows, creating a more introverted character. It might be not necessarily a terrorist strike, but a threat towards him, or a fight with someone of his town which ends in violence, the triggering of his try to have a fresh start somewhere else.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2008, 8:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
Yup, somehow overweight. Remember that beauty canons have changed (...)

Hm, yeah, but remember that it's hard to sell yesterday's definition of "hot" to a modern day gamer.
Of course it should be possible that your protagonist changes her appearance over time in order to blend in.

So, is she undead or not?

Bloodfairy wrote:
What if the history geek is more interested in the society of the time, more than the political events? That should make her eager to know things about how people of the time behaved, dressed, ate, looked like or thought about the role of the woman.

Aha, an art historian specializing in gender studies. That does sound more convincing.

Bloodfairy wrote:
Besides, even if the 17th century is of military and political decline, we call it "The Golden Century/Age" since our culture got expanded with incredible writers

Agreed, but I was rather referring to matters of concrete, immediate and material importance in the life of a noble/well-off family like I presume Catalina was from. What good is Don Quixote on my shelf if, say, due to investments my wealth depended on the treasure fleet that the Dutch captured in 1628?
What fun is a play by Lope de la Vega if the Lady of the House has gone insane because her most precious son was killed by a French bullet during the Battle of Dunkirk in 1658?

Bloodfairy wrote:
(I had a time where I wanted to be a butch, thank God I got out).

Okay, I know the type. I know two "butch" cases and although the persons are completely unrelated their physical features are very similar. They are heavily-built and kinda remind me of mechanics. :lol:
Nice people, though. I helped one renovate her house, and the other is also in the Japanese department (and has a very good-looking girlfriend, btw, with one of the most well-formed butts I have ever seen).

Bloodfairy wrote:
About the disabled girl, I never thought of bandages or stuff.

I was just talking about the clichée, the ailing type.

Bloodfairy wrote:
She could be perfectly healed, except for having a spinal cord injury which has severed her nerves on the legs and just impedes her to walk. Regrettably, love can't heal those injuries

Okay, so what's her role? What's the purpose of this character?

Bloodfairy wrote:
The truth is, ETA was born when Franco was in power, and since it provided an armed alternative against his regime, many ETA members got tortured and summarily shot.

Franco is dead and so is his regime.

Bloodfairy wrote:
they justify it by saying that the now governing Spanish regime still considers the Basques as part of Spain, and that they torture ETA members as well, so there's "no difference" between Franco-ism and the Spanish government of today.

What do they expect? I do understand that one might stand up against an oppressive regime, but on the other hand, if they're fighting the government, its organs and officers they can't expect to be handled tenderly, even in modern Spain. Hate breeds hate.

Besides, if the Basques were to be independant - could the region survive economically on its own?

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 7:38 am 

Quote:
Hm, yeah, but remember that it's hard to sell yesterday's definition of "hot" to a modern day gamer.
Of course it should be possible that your protagonist changes her appearance over time in order to blend in.

So, is she undead or not?

Catalina should be as alive as Jon is, and the reason for that should be the core mystery of the plot.

I know it's hard to sell yesterday's beauty as the modern one. Thus, there should be a way to make Catalina adapt to today's standards... for example, making her meet the history geek (provisional name: Elisa) and make her find out the impact that she makes on Jon... so that she decides to lose some weight saying "this way, Jon should pay more attention to me"... which might work as well as a criticism to the overwhelming pressures to become skinny of today, which will come unattended by the gamers but hey, it's there :P

Quote:
Aha, an art historian specializing in gender studies. That does sound more convincing.

I'd say Elisa is a historian specializing in the epoque's sociology (the lapse of time between America's "discovery" and the French Revolution is called in Spanish "Modern era", paradoxically). I hate the idea of people making "gender studies" as if women were sort of an alien part of society which would need special attention while men would be the "normal people" and no "gender studies" about them are made. But anyways, that thing of "gender studies" is a possibility.

Quote:
Agreed, but I was rather referring to matters of concrete, immediate and material importance in the life of a noble/well-off family like I presume Catalina was from. What good is Don Quixote on my shelf if, say, due to investments my wealth depended on the treasure fleet that the Dutch captured in 1628?
What fun is a play by Lope de la Vega if the Lady of the House has gone insane because her most precious son was killed by a French bullet during the Battle of Dunkirk in 1658?

As I told you, the Canaries were more or less independent of the European Spanish matters. Canarian people were very hard to recruit for the army/navy, since they could be easily hidden from authority. Anyways, we could fantasize about the reasons for Catalina's family to make her marry the old grudge, and there could be a point, if e.g the heir of the family disappeared in a shipwreck (what if he comes later to our modern era, too?:P)
(On the other side, investing and getting rich with work was badly seen in the Habsburgian Spain... Guess why our decadence was so fast and furious)

Quote:
Okay, so what's her role? What's the purpose of this character?

She'd be one of the girls who would enter in the competence for Jon's love. Her provisional name would be Nerea.

Quote:
Besides, if the Basques were to be independant - could the region survive economically on its own?

The answer of that question lies in their possibilities to enter the European Union once they get independent. If they enter automatically, as the Independentists are persuaded that it is possible, the Basque Country would have no trouble to survive on its own, since their natural markets would be open for them.
If they can't enter,or they must undergo a selection process and they have the high import fares and European import restrictions, they will have trouble for sure.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 4:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
she decides to lose some weight saying "this way, Jon should pay more attention to me"... which might work as well as a criticism to the overwhelming pressures to become skinny of today, which will come unattended by the gamers but hey, it's there

The criticism is only perceived as such if you display the negative sides of skinnymania.
And if it's too much in the foreground it won't draw an audience. I still claim that gamers want to enter a dreamworld far from the rigors of reality.

Bloodfairy wrote:
I hate the idea of people making "gender studies" as if women were sort of an alien part of society which would need special attention while men would be the "normal people" and no "gender studies" about them are made.

Hooonk! Wrong!
Gender studies per se are about both genders, as the name implies, but the grave problem with gender studies is the more or less conscious practice of "positive discrimination". All through the history of gender studies, feminist researchers have de facto concentrated on "women studies", due to the feeling that women have gotten not enough attention since the awakening of modern science, academically, and thus needed examination in a social sense. This way, they created what they complain about: They make women the subject, while men remain an object, making men the norm and women... well, as you said, something alien.
It was only three years ago that I finally stumbled across "men studies" in a seminar about current developments in Japanese society, and inspired by that, a friend of mine is now in Tokyo, researching male juvenile culture in Japan, working on his PhD. Studying men is paradoxically new to gender studies, but it's there. It's just that feminists give gender studies a bad name. :D

Bloodfairy wrote:
As I told you, the Canaries were more or less independent of the European Spanish matters.

And who's aware of that (except for Spanish and Canarians)? :wink:

Catalina's family loses its fortune to the Dutch as these take possession of the treasure fleet, which is the reason why she is to marry the old fart. The guy has the money, the Lercaros have the noble title, so everyone's happy. Except for Catalina.
Solid enough for a peg, isn't it?

Bloodfairy wrote:
Canarian people were very hard to recruit for the army/navy, since they could be easily hidden from authority.

Didn't the canvassers just go to pubs, made people drunk, asking them to sign a piece of paper, and immediately took the new recruits with them?

Bloodfairy wrote:
(On the other side, investing and getting rich with work was badly seen in the Habsburgian Spain... Guess why our decadence was so fast and furious)

Both? So, if you're not making money with work and not making money with money - how do you make money?

Oh, I know: you draft slave labor in the Americas and sell the silver they produce.

Bloodfairy wrote:
She'd be one of the girls who would enter in the competence for Jon's love. Her provisional name would be Nerea.

A contender for his love without sexual implications?
What kind of Bishôjo plot is that supposed to be? Sounds like the storyline for the PG-13 Beta-version. :lol2:

PostPosted: October 30th, 2008, 7:23 pm 

Who told you that a person on a wheelchair can't have sex? In fact, it'd add new horizons to a Bishojo game, after the Oka-san :P

I guess I'll have to admit that i'm basing the character on a relative of mine who has a spinal cord injury from birth, who is pregnant at the moment.

Quote:
Both? So, if you're not making money with work and not making money with money - how do you make money?
Oh, I know: you draft slave labor in the Americas and sell the silver they produce.

You could be as well a nobleman and live without working... regardless of your income. Check the Lazarillo for more details.

I see your point in not being excessively strict on history, nor too realist. Guess that the fact that I had thought about it in my own terms has made me a bit resistent to change :P

I see no comment is made on the exchange student... My bet is that it's more typical of a Bishojo game to include such characters, so people find all right to include her :P.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 1:16 pm 

Cool idea! It seems very original to me and a lot of the appeal comes from the setting. Don't worry about being very local in feel so long as you bother to explain it somehow, somewhere for those who care (ie: not just mash the enter button to get to the sex scenes). The idea and subsequent conversations set off a ton of ideas in my feverish (literally) head, so hopefully I'm well enough to remember most of them below...

42317 wrote:
Bloodfairy wrote:
she decides to lose some weight saying "this way, Jon should pay more attention to me"... which might work as well as a criticism to the overwhelming pressures to become skinny of today, which will come unattended by the gamers but hey, it's there

The criticism is only perceived as such if you display the negative sides of skinnymania.
And if it's too much in the foreground it won't draw an audience. I still claim that gamers want to enter a dreamworld far from the rigors of reality.

Disclaimer 1: I am in America where we have more than our fair share of obese individuals (First civilization in history where the poor suffer from getting too fat).
Disclaimer 2: I go to a lot of anime conventions, and some anime fans can be... sedentary. :roll:

Having an overweight character may not be a turn off for some of the audience. It may help them identify with the game. It seems like you are not choosing a genre for the women but providing a variety of genres from which the player can select. If money was not an issue and if the artist was really talented and willing, it would be really cool to have the gender of the main character as a selectable feature. However, this is not really economically viable since you basically are giving away two games for the price of one (all art has to be doubled, quality control (QC) playtesting time doubled, scripts need to be adjusted for gender, etc.).

Most women who are overweight at anime cons simply play up their curves, especially their busts. So perhaps a concession to skinny-mania is not necessary, just a make-over.

I would think that a woman from the 17th Century might find herself in conflict with the feminism of today. Perhaps that would be an interesting dynamic between the security guard (obviously a strong woman, butch or not) and the girl from the past.

42317 wrote:
Bloodfairy wrote:

A contender for his love without sexual implications?
What kind of Bishôjo plot is that supposed to be? Sounds like the storyline for the PG-13 Beta-version. :lol2:

We have a local rock station that used to have a weekly sex/fetish segment and one week they did paraplegic fetishes. Apparently, it is quite a vibrant fetish and even for people without the fetish, they can find many ways to have fun.

Personally, I probably watched too many soap-operas when I was a kid, so I like wickedly dramatic settings. What if Jon was a teenage member of the ETA who was just beginning to become active. The first mission was to be a bombing against a military or police transport, but due to traffic and timing issues, a tourist bus became involved. Jon was emotionally scarred and joined in the rescue attempts on the survivors. At that point he left the group and fled to the Canaries to both avoid the authorities (who probably could care less since he is a small fish and they don't know him) as well as his former comrades who don't like quitters.

Now Jon has a complex about rescuing people (or at least women- perhaps it was a girl's school tour bus?). Hence his willingness to help Catalina instead of just finding her the right government agency to help her out. To further complicate the story, he is shocked to recognize his neighbor Nerea as a survivor of the blast...

OK, if you are basing the character on your friend, that doesn't really stay true. But it does introduce the possibility of toying with the aggressiveness of the handicapped character. She could be the emotionally and spiritually strongest of the group which could be attractive to Jon. Or she could be wicked and at some point (as Jon's attention drifts elsewhere) reveal that she remembers him from before the blast and saw him with suspicious characters to black mail him into devoting more time with him. Again, probably not appropriate for your friend, but might be interesting.

Jon's cousin might be clueless about Jon's past, or may not. Perhaps knowledge is the leverage the cousin uses to worm his way into Jon's apartment and finances? Perhaps the history student feels that knowing people's history is a great way to know them and Jon has to "distract" her to get her to stop prying. :nose:

Bloodfairy, you have so many potential hooks in the story it is quite interesting! Maybe you should just write the novel. :D

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 4:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:
Who told you that a person on a wheelchair can't have sex?

Nobody told me and no one said it was impossible or anything.
I have identified the "ailing type" as a well-used Hentai clichée, all I have expressed was that I don't swing in that direction, since three days ago I wrote:
"in case she has lost her legs her part could lean towards the guro concept... plus her sitting position leaves her mouth at a favorable height in relation to him standing upright... I can't help it, but that picture feels kinda awkward."

Bloodfairy wrote:
42317 wrote:
So, if you're not making money with work and not making money with money - how do you make money?

You could be as well a nobleman and live without working... regardless of your income.

Nobles weren't even allowed to work in any way, at least in medieval Germany.
So, a serf peasant in Castilia or a slave Indio in Peru toiling for your money bag - what's the difference?
( :arrow: The peasant thinks he belongs to the master race, but that's another story...)

Bloodfairy wrote:
Check the Lazarillo for more details.

What does that tell me about making money? That additionally to work, usury, and legally robbing your inferiors (as a noble) there is illegally robbing anybody (as a thief) as a source of income. But I say the thief does a sort of work. If he does nothing, he'll have no income, other than the noble who was just lucky being born to the right parents and has an income as long as his fief exists.

Bloodfairy wrote:
I see no comment is made on the exchange student...

I would have offered a comment, but I could not think of anything intelligent, anything better than "He and she should be there."

But now that I think about it I also say the following:
In Japanese media products there are often "Tenkôsei" and "Ryûgakusei", the difference being that the first are transferred domestically, while the latter come from abroad. The two types are used as an "alien" factor in their new social environment, for humorous or dramatic reasons.
In your case I propose you take someone from a different part of Spain, which, like Japan, has very different cultural aspects, Castilia and Galicia like Tokyo and Osaka. You should have enough knowledge about these stereotypes to write something convincing.
Introducing a foreigner necessitates an established stereotype that is also well-known to you in order to create a believable character, but you'll have to come up with good information about little quirks and habits of his/her home country, which I'd say is trickier. Of course I can't say how much insight you have into, say, German culture, or wherever the character is supposed to be coming from, so you might indeed succed.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 5:18 pm 

I guess some of those suggestions are too dramatic for the mood I had thought about. Even if Jon is a serious character himself, I had thought that he should find a lively ambience surrounding him.

Nerea's character is not "based" in my relative, but it'd be a way to pay homage to her, even if she's not going to play this :D

But I guess the link of Jon's and Nerea's tragedies is a fine idea, and Nerea would be the most dramatic character anyway. I had thought of her as a girl who has always fought against her handicaps, but sometimes feels isolated. Jon would not be a lifeline for her (after all, she can live without him), but he can fill a hole in her heart she had not been aware of (this is where romantic novels take their toll on me :P).

The novel? No thanks. I already have a novel in mind. I hope I'll get to write it (I need time and constance).