Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 11:10 pm


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2008, 1:22 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
WARNING: I might ramble a bit.

As suggested, this thread will chronicle the progress and development of the Princess Code game currently in development for Cream Puff Cafe (see the sig if you want to see the site, I'm not spamming in this thread). This thread will contain production progress but will probably be strictly from my point of view unless the other members of the team get far enough ahead that they can post on more than just our own site's blog.

To catch new readers up and refresh the memories of older readers, this first post will be both a history and a status report.

This game hasn't changed much since our original concepts but the plan has gone through a few revisions...

1 main character (unchanged)
3 main playable girlfriends (3 challenges, unchanged) Character profiles for two of them now up on our site.
2 minor playable girlfriends (1-2 challenges, unchanged) Character profile for one up now on our site.
2D Hand-drawn graphics, no pixelization (although that may be a selectable feature if Japan demands it)
Puzzle-game challenges (a la Bejeweled or Puzzle Quest)

Major changes:

=All art by one artist => now we might have backgrounds done by a second artist. This is more money, but less stress for our artist and more efficient for our deadlines.
=Languages: original plan was Japanese and English. Then we got ambitious and added Spanish and Portuguese (Brazilian). Now we're having plenty of trouble just finishing Spanish so we're dropping Portuguese. Maybe for our next game, we'll be able to afford to pay our translators so we can be more flexible and accommodating.
=Release date: Original plan was to finish the game in May, test in June and release the game in time for Anime Expo (July 4th Weekend). Having been on a few productions, I hedged and put "Summer 2008" in my sig. THANK GOD! By Anime Expo, we only have about half of the art and no music yet. We're now shooting for a late summer/early fall release but I might have a playable demo to show some Japanese companies when I visit Japan in August. :D

I saw a rough demo last weekend. The puzzle game was pretty easy, but a bit hard on the eyes since we only have half of the graphic elements finished. I was surprised how many of the facial expressions were finished for the character interaction. In my head, "half the art missing" means I shouldn't see much, but I guess we've finished artwork for 1-2 characters and we have the others to work on still. I'm jazzed enough that I'm hoping we can make the demo into a playable/downloadable demo for the world, but I'm afraid to ask right now. We're behind schedule enough that I'm just going to be grateful for what I get. Maybe I'll put in a suggestion when the production team is less stressed. I put them out enough just to get this rough demo. :shifty:

The background for our team is hard to detail because we all have day jobs whose managers (or at least HR departments) probably won't appreciate us trying to create a hentai video game on the side. So forgive me for being intentionally vague.

Cream Puff Cafe:
Marketing- The Punk Daddy (me). This is my first game, but I've been doing anime and manga for a long time, so I'm familiar with our probable customers.
Producer- "Admin" has been working on videogames as a producer for several years and has been playing them for decades. He's also a huge anime fans of epic proportions and the game is his idea, his script and his baby.
Art- Lone Wolf has been doing fan dojinshi online for a few years and has worked as a professional production artist. This is one of Lone Wolf's first original artwork gigs but I really like what I see. It FEELS like anime.
Programming: The programming is actually being done by some friends of ours under their company name, Crunchy Pixel Studios. Like us, they also are doing this on the side and this is their first game on their own, despite years of experience working on other people's games. We jointly decided to make this the first game they make because it is easier to sell a small game to a small, but dedicated audience (ie: Hentai). Hopefully, you'll see the Crunchy Pixel Studio logo on more things starting in 2009.

Since our main programmer is from a former USSR republic, our art style is from Japan and the rest of us are in the USA, do we get to call ourselves a "global" company? :lol: No. Probably not, but I still think it's cool. We might expand the team once we finish the game and have to start working on selling it, but more likely, we'll just put different hats on the same people. Ironically, it could be more dangerous to be really successful than be unsuccessful since we'd get overloaded and fail to keep up with product demand, customer service issues, etc... However, I'd rather fail for being too popular than be neglected and unwanted. Either way, that's my responsibility. ^_^;

My marketing plan is pretty simple because we have almost no money to spend. I send out samples for review and hope people like it! ;) Well, alright, it's not quite that simple. We also plan to do postcard mailings or inserts to the customers of key retailers (who haven't agreed yet since we don't have a finished game to show them) and possibly some convention postcards later. It really depends upon the timing. Obviously, this thread is a form of marketing, but I'm trying really hard to make this interesting, not spam. I'm sure you will all let me know immediately if I fail! :twisted:

Meanwhile, as we make notable updates to our progress, I'll post it here. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. I'd be glad to answer what I can about any aspect of production, marketing, finance, or even just the weather in Southern California (Most of the time it is foggy in the morning, sunny and warm during the day, cooling off at night as the fog rolls back in. Boring if you like seasons, but I think it's pretty nice).

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2008, 9:10 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Thank you for all the information.
Can you tell us what the game's plot is about or is that still a secret?

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 3:18 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
42317 wrote:
Thank you for all the information.
Can you tell us what the game's plot is about or is that still a secret?


Oops! Sorry about that. The plot is typical for a bishojo game, one average Joe in an unusual circumstance that makes him appealing to many beautiful women. The official summary can be found here:

http://www.creampuffcafe.com/blog/?page_id=2

For those who do not wish to click the link, the summary of the summary is that the Earth has been rediscovered by Earthlings that launched into space thousands of years ago and founded an intergalactic empire. Our lucky hero, Edward Larson, has been deduced to be the closest Earthling, genetically, to the founder of the Galactic Empire and thus, the nominated representative for Earth. Ed is sent to training at an academy exclusively for future galactic empire representatives and his performance there (in every sense of the word :nose: ) will determine the fate of the Earth: Enthusiastic inclusion to the empire; Luke-warm inclusion; Siezed as a protectorate and quarantined.

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 12:29 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
PunkDaddy wrote:
Edward Larson, has been deduced to be the closest Earthling, genetically, to the founder of the Galactic Empire and thus, the nominated representative for Earth.

So we'll be back to feudalism and divine world order where birth decides your social standing?
This calls for a rebellion. :D

By the way, why did you choose "Edward Larson" as the name of the protagonist?

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 8:14 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Spain
Now it's the time where I offer my talents for the Spanish translation ^^

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 3:34 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Edward Larson, has been deduced to be the closest Earthling, genetically, to the founder of the Galactic Empire and thus, the nominated representative for Earth.

So we'll be back to feudalism and divine world order where birth decides your social standing?
This calls for a rebellion. :D


That was certainly my initial response! The actual set-up is much more complicated with each "world" having their own government and the "Prince" or "Princess" acting more as an ambassador. Seems a bit like the British concept, except actually giving the royalty something to do. (I'm probably going to get flamed by someone for that one... :lol2: )

42317 wrote:
By the way, why did you choose "Edward Larson" as the name of the protagonist?


Supposedly, this was just off of the top of the writer's head. When I asked him today, he responded "Why, do I know an Ed Larson?" Suddenly all I could think of was Gary Larson's chickens... (http://media.portland.indymedia.org/ima ... 312386.gif)
Why did you ask? Are you just curious or have we made an inadvertent reference?

Bloodfairy wrote:
Now it's the time where I offer my talents for the Spanish translation ^^


You tempt me! But be careful of offering. Right now, I have no budget and I am asking favors. It is a bit awkward to hand scripts off to my mother when it will be used in a hentai game. :oops: The script is not hentai (at least what we have so far), so it's not really that bad... yet. However, we definitely at least need an editor who is fluent and up to date with computer and sci-fi vocabulary. My mom has as Masters and grew up in Mexico, but they didn't have words like "bandwidth" and "internet" so she's struggling a bit. Between the terminology of the SciFi setting and the slang and figures of speech, my Mom became stressed out. And she's only done the first of the 3 major character arcs with two minor character arcs and an introduction to come!

If you really want to volunteer, I'd be a fool to say no. However my conscience forces me to make sure you have a clear understanding of the situation! Still, thank you for the temptation!! Muchas gracias!

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 5:38 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Spain
I'm really eager to see the demo version. Seems interesting, and it'd be a first-timer for me :P

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 7:42 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
PunkDaddy wrote:
The actual set-up is much more complicated with each "world" having their own government and the "Prince" or "Princess" acting more as an ambassador. Seems a bit like the British concept, except actually giving the royalty something to do.

The British model would be leaving the benefits of power (but not power itself) in the hands of the old elite and assuming an overall "peacekeeping" role on the outside, but the core of the system - colonialism - would be that the colonized - technically inferior! - nations provide raw materials, which are processed in the mother country and then sent back as finished products for the subjects to buy.

What you vaguely described so far looks more like feudalism to me, which means there is a superior power that delegates influential positions and fiefdoms (like your different planets) to loyal nobles. While the superior entity holds no real power in the fiefdoms, it derives its legitimacy from acknowledged mythical sources, like divinity. Although owing loyalty to the liege - the Emperor or what have you - the fiefdoms are virtually independant. Compare German history, I already mentioned particularism I think.

42317 wrote:
(Edward Larson) Why did you ask? Are you just curious or have we made an inadvertent reference?

My subject does involve a good deal of media analysis, and a rule of that field says that there are no coincidences in fiction. When I heard "Edward Larson" I had to think of a Japanese convenience store - but no, stop, that's "Lawson". The "Glen A. Larson" came to my mind, without the entertainment genius of whom many TV stations wouldn't know what shows to repeat in times of need. :lol:

Anyhow, of course you're free to break the rule, no question. But it's very usual, the norm, I dare say, that people's names "speak", in form of a pun, be it hints at his/her personality or at least an in-joke of sorts, if you're not after realism.
Like, I called an RPG character "Nanashi" after I couldn't find a fitting name. "Nanashi" means "no name".
I called a short story character "Elimba" because I know a girl who's name is Elisabeth Maria Bach.
In Gundam Seed, if I am not mistaken, there is a lead character called "Yamato", which is also the name of the ancient province where Japanese culture is said to have begun and the first shaman/Miko empress, Himiko, resided. "Yamato-damashi" is a fixed term, popular among conservatives, which means "Japanese Spirit", a term comprising anything (romantic and nostalgic) that means being Japanese.
The names of the Sailor Senshi are too obvious as speaking names, so I'll go for Ayanami Rei: "Aya" can be "plan" or "trick", "Nami" means "wave" or "flood", and "Rei" is a word with strong mythical connotations, like "spirit", "ghost" or "soul". You don't need much fantasy to see a connection. "Kotoba no Aya" even does mean "word play".

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 7:44 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Spain
Here comes your unnoticed reference. Mr Edward Larson is famous enough to have a stub on Wikipedia :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_J._Larson

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 10:06 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
I can't see much of a connection there... :lol:

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 2:31 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
The actual set-up is much more complicated with each "world" having their own government and the "Prince" or "Princess" acting more as an ambassador. Seems a bit like the British concept, except actually giving the royalty something to do.

The British model would be leaving the benefits of power (but not power itself) in the hands of the old elite and assuming an overall "peacekeeping" role on the outside, but the core of the system - colonialism - would be that the colonized - technically inferior! - nations provide raw materials, which are processed in the mother country and then sent back as finished products for the subjects to buy.

What you vaguely described so far looks more like feudalism to me, which means there is a superior power that delegates influential positions and fiefdoms (like your different planets) to loyal nobles. While the superior entity holds no real power in the fiefdoms, it derives its legitimacy from acknowledged mythical sources, like divinity. Although owing loyalty to the liege - the Emperor or what have you - the fiefdoms are virtually independant. Compare German history, I already mentioned particularism I think.


Ah. Yes, that probably stems from a serious error on my part. I was talking about the consolidated government of the Empire and thinking of the individual planetary governments (as conceived by the author). In his mind, the individual planets select their own governments with most of them "electing" royalty to represent them to the Empire. These "royals" mostly represent the intentions of their planet instead of ruling them in a Feudal or Totalitarian sense. :oops:

The overall government does sound feudal to me as well. I'll dig into it more so I can discuss this with your more intelligently. Since I didn't write the game and I haven't seen all of the scripts yet, I cannot discuss the government structure so easily. I'm tempted to drag the author into this forum so he can really explain, but I'm worried that will make the game later than it already is... Perhaps once we get the game into Quality Control?

42317 wrote:
42317 wrote:
(Edward Larson) Why did you ask? Are you just curious or have we made an inadvertent reference?

My subject does involve a good deal of media analysis, and a rule of that field says that there are no coincidences in fiction. When I heard "Edward Larson" I had to think of a Japanese convenience store - but no, stop, that's "Lawson". The "Glen A. Larson" came to my mind, without the entertainment genius of whom many TV stations wouldn't know what shows to repeat in times of need. :lol:

Anyhow, of course you're free to break the rule, no question. But it's very usual, the norm, I dare say, that people's names "speak", in form of a pun, be it hints at his/her personality or at least an in-joke of sorts, if you're not after realism.
Like, I called an RPG character "Nanashi" after I couldn't find a fitting name. "Nanashi" means "no name".
I called a short story character "Elimba" because I know a girl who's name is Elisabeth Maria Bach.
In Gundam Seed, if I am not mistaken, there is a lead character called "Yamato", which is also the name of the ancient province where Japanese culture is said to have begun and the first shaman/Miko empress, Himiko, resided. "Yamato-damashi" is a fixed term, popular among conservatives, which means "Japanese Spirit", a term comprising anything (romantic and nostalgic) that means being Japanese.
The names of the Sailor Senshi are too obvious as speaking names, so I'll go for Ayanami Rei: "Aya" can be "plan" or "trick", "Nami" means "wave" or "flood", and "Rei" is a word with strong mythical connotations, like "spirit", "ghost" or "soul". You don't need much fantasy to see a connection. "Kotoba no Aya" even does mean "word play".


I understand. Yet, I'm not sure we are going to deliver the richness of the names for you with this offering (game). Gomen!

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 2:53 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Spain
From what I've seen, the appearance of royal families in the game would be similar to, e.g, the people who can pilot Eva-robots in NGE. Selected lineages of special people who have a defined commitment and thus acquire a noticeable and important role in society, which could legitimate them into becoming a royalty.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 4:52 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Bloodfairy wrote:
From what I've seen, the appearance of royal families in the game would be similar to, e.g, the people who can pilot Eva-robots in NGE. Selected lineages of special people who have a defined commitment and thus acquire a noticeable and important role in society, which could legitimate them into becoming a royalty.


Yes! But what is the technical term? Lineage-slave-ocracy? :crap: I didn't learn this stuff in engineering classes... :)

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 7:55 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: July 5th, 2008, 12:06 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Spain
I'd take a Platonic term: Aristocracy. But we should see if it's really these Royal Families who hold the political power in their lands, because if they don't have any political power, they would be "Aristoi", but have no "Kratos", so the Greek term would not be appliable.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 29th, 2008, 11:26 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
PunkDaddy wrote:
I was talking about the consolidated government of the Empire and thinking of the individual planetary governments (as conceived by the author). In his mind, the individual planets select their own governments with most of them "electing" royalty to represent them to the Empire. These "royals" mostly represent the intentions of their planet instead of ruling them in a Feudal or Totalitarian sense.

Ah, now that's clearer. So there is a parliament and the planets send elected representatives who's titles sound like royalty, being life-peers (like the Beatles, Alec Guiness, or Peter Ustinov) with special responsibilities.
You mentioning "the British system" kinda mislead me.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group