Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 22nd, 2017, 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Princess Code: Production Journal
PostPosted: July 31st, 2008, 5:03 am 

Well, Bloodfairy just ripped through all of the Spanish scripts and gave me the "Mwhahahahahaha!!!"! :shock:
I'd threaten to really challenge her, but she did over half of the scripts already, so I'm rather short on ammunition to do so.

Thank you for totally destroying one of my headaches!! My wife (and Japanese translator) has begun asking when I can find a language genius to make her life easier... :shifty: Looks like I'm in trouble there...

Meanwhile, I saw a demo of the game and it's coming together! I posted a screen capture of one of the puzzle games on our blog.

http://www.creampuffcafe.com/blog/?p=47

I was sent more character art, but I don't have time to figure out how to post most of it and write character profile text before I get on a plane for Japan tomorrow. I might be a bit scarce for a few weeks. :P

I'll catch y'all up when I get back.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: July 31st, 2008, 8:33 am 

You know, I'd really like to have it finished ASAP, for I'm leaving for a couple of weeks in August, and I wouldn't like to leave anything hanging, if possible, so send me as much as you're able to send so I can work on it and deliver it before my depart.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2008, 7:10 pm 

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
I was talking about the consolidated government of the Empire and thinking of the individual planetary governments (as conceived by the author). In his mind, the individual planets select their own governments with most of them "electing" royalty to represent them to the Empire. These "royals" mostly represent the intentions of their planet instead of ruling them in a Feudal or Totalitarian sense.

Ah, now that's clearer. So there is a parliament and the planets send elected representatives who's titles sound like royalty, being life-peers (like the Beatles, Alec Guiness, or Peter Ustinov) with special responsibilities.
You mentioning "the British system" kinda mislead me.

The British system includes the House of Lords, which matches your description entirely 8)

PostPosted: September 10th, 2008, 6:46 pm 

Well, I've been back from Japan for nearly a month, and progress on the game continues at a modest pace. I saw a demo before I left and was getting really excited because I felt like we were nearly done! Unfortunately, there are so many details we need to address...

Since I left, we've done the first round on the music; delivered a ton of artwork (that I now need to use to develop the website); written most of the script but not enough to keep up with our marvelous translators; and most of the coding completed. We still need to finish the fine details of the scripting, compositing the artwork into the scenes, the final two sub-character scripts, the H-scene scripts and artwork, and testing. Naturally, considering I am cheap, my computer is so old, it caused the first problem for the programmer because my video card refuses to load the game. It will really suck if I can't even play our own game!! :wtf:

My tasks are beginning to stack up because I need to revamp the website to contain all of the information about the game and start publicizing the pictures. I'm planning on putting it up a little at a time so I can slowly build awareness and market the game effectively. It's hard to figure out the pace without knowing the release date though... There's also the little matter of setting up the on-line purchasing store.

We haven't settled on a price yet, but it looks like we are going to go for $25-$30. We are thinking of a preview version of the game for $10 which would also include a $10 coupon on the full version of the game (ie. makes the preview free). I'm so bogged down in detail work, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything... At least I managed to post an update here. :shifty:

PostPosted: September 16th, 2008, 2:56 pm 

Finally making progress and learning how to add pages and links to the website. Added an introduction page, Ed's info and Elica (plus the other elements involved in her arc, Princess Prina and the band Silver Star. Wish I had more art, but I must be patient.

Nearly took down the entire website in the learning process. That was stressful. As are the funny sounds my harddrive is making right now... :crap: Time to make a back-up.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2008, 10:41 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
You've been back from your trip to Japan for a while now, how did it go over there?

Sounds like you've been doing a lot of work on the game lately, hopefully it is still on schedule :?: $25-$30 is probably good, but it really depends on the length of the game. How long does it look like it will take to play the game from start to finish now that more of the game has been completed?

I like the idea of doing the trial version with a coupon off the game. It might be a better idea to start off with doing a cheaper trial though. I don't know if people are going to be willing to spend 1/3 of the game price on a trial version of it.

Hope the wheel keeps on turning!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 3:28 pm 

Acmurphy wrote:
You've been back from your trip to Japan for a while now, how did it go over there?

Really hot, really rainy but really fun! It was basically a family trip, so since the kids had a great time, I did too. We saw castles (Okinawa, Osaka), beaches (Okinawa- 3, Niigata- 1), got sunburned (Okinawa), saw museums (Okinawa, Niigata), dressed the kids in traditional costumes (Okinawa, Osaka, Niigata), amazing natural beauty (everywhere), enjoyed great food, fought off 104F degree (39-40 C) fevers from the kids (Niigata, Tokyo) and rode trains until the kids begged not to ride any more.

Acmurphy wrote:
Sounds like you've been doing a lot of work on the game lately, hopefully it is still on schedule :?: $25-$30 is probably good, but it really depends on the length of the game. How long does it look like it will take to play the game from start to finish now that more of the game has been completed?

Game is REALLY behind our original schedule. The artist is doing great work, but LoneWolf is struggling to balance school and life and delivering artwork to us. Backgrounds have proven to be more challenging than originally expected (I'm not directly in the loop on this, so I can't explain further), and our producer has discovered that language fails to communicate well with music. We received our first set of music for the soundtrack and, while quite nice, the producer suddenly realized that the examples he sent and the words he used meant different things to the musicians than they meant to him. This isn't his first game, but it is his first time coordinating the music. Not that it matters that much. Everytime you work with someone new, there is a learning curve and we've been smacked in the head by that curve ball. :|

Since we don't have all of the artwork, we haven't played the full game. I'm still in the dark there, but I'll bug the programmers. It's important!!

Acmurphy wrote:
I like the idea of doing the trial version with a coupon off the game. It might be a better idea to start off with doing a cheaper trial though. I don't know if people are going to be willing to spend 1/3 of the game price on a trial version of it.

Hope the wheel keeps on turning!

True. I'm hoping to talk the artist into proving a portfolio of artwork to include on the demo to make it worth the money. However, I have to wait and see if the artist is still talking to me after the project is done... Working with friends can be harsh once the production deadline looms. :sigh:

If there is a sizeable art gallery, it will be $10, otherwise, it would be $5. I'm hoping we can get it up to $10 because then we can sell the demo through retail easier since companies respond better if they can make $4 profit / unit instead of $1.50 (we'd sell 50% off, but there's always shipping and handling expenses). The coupon will be difficult to execute at retail as well, but I think it will be worth it.

The wheel keeps turning, but right now, it's spinning a bit in place trying to get traction... Thank you for the feedback and the kind thoughts! It helps. :)

PostPosted: October 13th, 2008, 9:28 pm 

Progress continues slowly. Just received half a dozen art pieces so I'm trying to work these into the website. I have a bunch of pages 50% finished, but getting the other 50% is definitely more than double the work just making sure all of the details are correct. I can only imagine the artist and the coders are going through similar difficulties. They don't seem to have time to talk.

I guess that's a good thing- they're working! :D

Hopefully I'll have an art page and much more info on the game up later this week and another update to this thread as well. If I don't post it here, I'll be too tempted to procrastinate!! :oops:

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 1:03 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
(Only took me 2/3's of a month but glad you enjoyed the trip to Japan!)

Seems like this project is giving you a lot of sass! I'd imagine the longer the game takes the more money it is going to cost in production (unless you have them on set payment schedules for work completed, or revenue share, or...?, then you are just losing out on the revenues from them game for longer periods of time). How many people do you have working on this project anyway, I'm not sure if I ever asked that.

Anywho, well at least it sounds like things are still progressing even if a bit (lot) slower than one would like. Are you now looking at trying to get the game polished off before Christmas? Or have you thrown a timeframe out the window at this point? :mrgreen:

How's it going on getting a payment/download feature working on the website? Seems you're doing a lot of work with the website now, to try and get everything setup for people to find out all the information about the game and its intricacies.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 4:00 pm 

Acmurphy wrote:
(Only took me 2/3's of a month but glad you enjoyed the trip to Japan!)

Seems like this project is giving you a lot of sass! I'd imagine the longer the game takes the more money it is going to cost in production (unless you have them on set payment schedules for work completed, or revenue share, or...?, then you are just losing out on the revenues from them game for longer periods of time). How many people do you have working on this project anyway, I'm not sure if I ever asked that.

I can't point fingers about timeliness considering our original release plan was the end of June... Fortunately, this is a quasi-professional production. The producer and main programmer are fully employed at another game company and do this on the side. Our main artist is currently going back to school although we may outsource some backgrounds because Lone Wolf's schedule is currently the bottleneck. We commissioned the music from a couple of professional musicians on a break from their band and the writer is the same as the producer, so no extra labor there. My wife did the Japanese translations and Bloodfairy did the Spanish translations, so that just leaves me as the marketing guy. It's pretty much a skeleton crew of pros working on the side and quality semi-pros. No one is full time and the sales of this game will not allow us to be full time in the short term. However, we are planning on building upon this Engine and making a variety of games that will begin to support us within two years. There is a lot of work to do to reach that goal.

Fortunately, it means our costs have not increased although the overall economic situation is making me a bit nervous. Hopefully we'll be able to do OK considering it is a pretty niche product.

Acmurphy wrote:
Anywho, well at least it sounds like things are still progressing even if a bit (lot) slower than one would like. Are you now looking at trying to get the game polished off before Christmas? Or have you thrown a timeframe out the window at this point? :mrgreen:

We are targeting the art to finish by the end of this month which will leave us another two weeks to a month to do QC, bug fixing, play testing and language integration. So we are shooting for pre-Thanksgiving. We still have a schedule, but I'll be more confident in updating my signature with a date when I see more artwork. Our first estimate is that, depending upon one's reading speed (of if one reads the text at all :) ), the game will take at least 5-6 hours to play excluding replay for the different endings and playing only the puzzle mode. However, every time I talk to the producer he seems to be adding to the game, so that may change. I guess he keeps adding stuff as he wait for the artwork to come in. :D

Acmurphy wrote:
How's it going on getting a payment/download feature working on the website? Seems you're doing a lot of work with the website now, to try and get everything setup for people to find out all the information about the game and its intricacies.

:doh: Yeah, I still have to get to that part. I've been concentrating on getting up the game information so far, although many of the pages are not public yet, and that should be ready to launch this week. Still short on images, so we'll be bare bones to start and adding images as we go forward. I'm going to shoot to have some form of payment system set-up by the end of this month, but first we need to address some non-web background issues on the finance side first.

I'll post again when I have more of the site up. I look forward to everyone's feedback!

PS- I like the new smilies, but I don't understand the "Gatsu" ( :gatsu: ). It reminds me of Bezerk, but I don't understand it's intended usage or connotations... Can you fill me in?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 4:47 pm 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
PS- I like the new smilies, but I don't understand the "Gatsu" ( :gatsu: ). It reminds me of Bezerk, but I don't understand it's intended usage or connotations... Can you fill me in?

I asked the same question... quoting zero-chaos:
"Well, if it's Guts, it can only express awesomeness, and the epic."

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 4:57 pm 

42317 wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

I asked the same question... quoting zero-chaos:
"Well, if it's Guts, it can only express awesomeness, and the epic."

Ah! Thank you.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 3:53 am 

Well, I've posted about all of the major characters and plot points: http://www.creampuffcafe.com/blog/?page_id=52.

Originally, I wanted to hold back pages until I had artwork for each character, but decided to go ahead and post it. I'll just stick to talking about the characters for which I have artwork. To be honest, I have a lot of character art, but I only have two backgrounds and I don't want people to think the game is that limited!

Maybe I'll just make more artwork. Which brings up the new artwork page http://www.creampuffcafe.com/blog/?page_id=59. Take a look and let me know what you think! Also let me know what you like and don't like. Any feedback helps.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 6:40 am 

I guess this might sound a bit crude, but Ed seems nothing at all like I would have pictured him(privileged information :mrgreen: ): I mean, he's perhaps too good-looking, too shojo-like. I don't say he should be a repulsive fatty otaku, but I'd like him to be more... weird, somehow. Given his background, a bad diet and sedentary habits should not have such a perfect body as a result.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2008, 12:05 am 

Bloodfairy wrote:
I guess this might sound a bit crude, but Ed seems nothing at all like I would have pictured him(privileged information :mrgreen: ): I mean, he's perhaps too good-looking, too shojo-like. I don't say he should be a repulsive fatty otaku, but I'd like him to be more... weird, somehow. Given his background, a bad diet and sedentary habits should not have such a perfect body as a result.

:lol: I can see your point. I suspect either the producer or our artist has been watching too many Japanese dramas with the pretty boys with the long hair. Either that or since our artist is used to drawing Yuri, she wanted to keep him closer to her comfort zone. A couple of slight turns of the line curve and we have a different product entirely. :twisted:

I'll bet that the writer will say it is the Princess Code gene or something...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next